Differences between Offline & Online tuning

• Thread starter fpaldrich
  • 15 comments
South Africa
Johannesburg
Hi All, I've been wondering about how a car should be tuned differently when using online and why. I don't necessarily know what all the right questions to ask are, please contribute any thoughts or additional questions.

Firstly (track / physics), What is different? Does the track have a different grip level? Does the suspension and tyre model differ? etc

Secondly (car / settings), what settings work better for online tuning and which ones not? What to focus on / high impact settings? etc

Hi All, I've been wondering about how a car should be tuned differently when using online and why. I don't necessarily know what all the right questions to ask are, please contribute any thoughts or additional questions.

Firstly (track / physics), What is different? Does the track have a different grip level? Does the suspension and tyre model differ? etc

Secondly (car / settings), what settings work better for online tuning and which ones not? What to focus on / high impact settings? etc
U took the words right out of my mouth buddy

SORRY FOR ALL CAPS, MY KEYBOARD IS MESSED UP. ALL I KNOW IS THAT I AM FASTER OFFLINE WITH THE SAME SETUP WITH THE SAME CAR. ONLINE MY CARS TIRES SQUEAL MORE. SO MY THOUGHT IS THAT THE TIRE MODEL PHYSICS ARE DIFFERENT. ID SAY ON AVERAGE THAT IM A GOOD SECOND OR MORE SLOWER ONLINE

Nice Point, the thing is most of the online lobbies are using slick softs or in different words tires unlimited. when I test any tune gathered from here (mostly with sport softs tires) offline it works fairly good while online is extremely different.

I even noticed that the physics somehow shifts during an online session as well! for example in a room that has practice-qualy-race, I always feel as if the grip is getting reduced! the race itself is the hardest.

so to reply to your question yes I am feeling a difference.

Well it was the same in gt5 on the tuning side. For instance if you tuned your gears on the test track and everything was perfect. Well when you went online it would not take off like it did offline. So I'm not sure if this was a tire physic or something else. I always used same tires & everything & it would still be a totally different tune. So I always tuned for online

Good points all. I have always noticed in GT5 that in the same room, the free run handling is dramatically different from the race. GT6 is closer but still a difference between off-line and on-line physics.

Best way to find out is compare using the same car on a track you are good on. Run test drive then in a room.
Pretty sure the career mode physics are different from on-line/off-line too. I've not driven a seasonal yet so I can't comment on that.

Good points all. I have always noticed in GT5 that in the same room, the free run handling is dramatically different from the race. GT6 is closer but still a difference between off-line and on-line physics.

Best way to find out is compare using the same car on a track you are good on. Run test drive then in a room.
Pretty sure the career mode physics are different from on-line/off-line too. I've not driven a seasonal yet so I can't comment on that.
-Any difference of + - 10 seconds from offline to online, but it has also un detail good quality internet.

could it be down to tyre wear?

I know when TT offline there doesnt appear to be any tyre wear?

I tend to tune for online and just use the same settings offline (make sure you dont change anything so when you go back online you know your car is fighting fit)

Main differences are tires and aero. I don't know what's different, it's just what I noticed.

There's also input lag, so for aero it makes a huge difference.

Offline, everything feels the same (practice, SE, TT, Spec) physics wise.
Online instantly feels a bit different, less grip overall, especially in a race. I've noticed I'm a few seconds slower on long tracks, and cars slide more easily.
It seems like a small reduction on tire grip, going up one tire resolves it as far as I can tell.

For all those that put RS on everything, I'm not sure how they could even notice...

So offline tunes don't transfer online very well. But does using an online tune for offline races mean i'll go quicker? Or do I need separate tunes for both online and offline? I've been using online tunes for the offline races and i seem to managing alright, but would it be better to use offline tunes for offline races or not?

Nice Point, the thing is most of the online lobbies are using slick softs or in different words tires unlimited. when I test any tune gathered from here (mostly with sport softs tires) offline it works fairly good while online is extremely different.

I even noticed that the physics somehow shifts during an online session as well! for example in a room that has practice-qualy-race, I always feel as if the grip is getting reduced! the race itself is the hardest.

so to reply to your question yes I am feeling a difference.

The tires are cold when u start a race that's why you have reduced grip. You also need to pay attention to temperature of the air, height above sea level...etc. It isn't different, situations are different

Recently I haven't noticed much of a difference between my times on TT & online on my own lobby (except when I forget to set grip level to real on TT which should really have an optional default btw) but I haven't compared to times on other lobbies. I feel pretty sure connections will play a part but I don't really know how these things work..
Never really compared before as I never needed to use TT (now do due to stupid ISP) and on GT5 there was a clearer/larger difference between the two.

People try to peg it on latency. It is not. Tire wear begs less grip and physics are slightly different for sure. Can be felt in the FFb even. Any lag is between players, but you're putting up your own lap times, so latency shouldn't affect it anymore than a seasonal time trial. You're connected to PD servers in both cases as far as I know. Even a poor connection to the host shouldn't affect times.

Back