DiRT 3 Event of the Week (23): CLOSED

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 529 comments
How are you guys getting such a time!? I came to learn, not just play! :banghead:

How are you tackling the first hairpin? What about the 2nd?

So, new event, and a vehicle class which hasn't been used thus far. Should be interesting to see how we get on this time around.

Tell us your secrets to get a quick time, please? We usually do so, in order to get a better understanding of where improvements can be made on each stage, and usually give some tips while we're at it.

I also don't mean to point fingers, I get the gut feeling a few people haven't read ALL the rules yet.

Tell us your secrets to get a quick time, please? We usually do so, in order to get a better understanding of where improvements can be made on each stage, and usually give some tips while we're at it.
To be honest, i really don't know. i was thinking of uploading a replay to show you guys how i take the corners. I'm rubbish at explaining stuff (and too lazy to bother). One piece of advice i can give you is, running wide and sliding are big no no's. Being precise and hugging the walls are very good things to do. Assuming you have a fairly decent racing line.

I also don't mean to point fingers, I get the gut feeling a few people haven't read ALL the rules yet.
I'm assuming you're talking about tuning.

Last edited:
Ok, so about 7-8 laps, got myself a 1:21.849
Meh recording software is being a big newb.
Lol, oh well. I got a good time that's all that matters. :)

Since i can't get the lap from the H2H, I'll upload my WR for Lankamaa, Finland. In the stratos.

Last edited:
Ok, so about 7-8 laps, got myself a 1:21.849
Meh recording software is being a big newb.
Lol, oh well. I got a good time that's all that matters. :)

Is this for the previous week's event? If so, then that time sounds rather absurd in my opinion if you didn't alter the car set-up at all, which is prohibited, by the way.

Also, were you using a wheel for this, or DS3?

Is this for the previous week's event? If so, then that time sounds rather absurd in my opinion if you didn't alter the car set-up at all, which is prohibited, by the way.

Also, were you using a wheel for this, or DS3?
Yes, week 4 you mean, H2H? I promise i didn't do any tuning, it should have been faster by about 2 tenths to be honest, i did the first sector a bit slowly compared to my previous attempts. And yes, Dual shock 3. I don't have a wheel unfortunately, since my desk is glass, and well it would probably break and i can't justify a wheel at the moment, i'm also limited on space.

I think calling my lap time "absurd" is a little bit harsh to be honest with you.

Last edited:
I think calling my lap time "absurd" is a little bit harsh to be honest with you.

Well considering it was set without changing the vehicle set-up, and with a DS3, then I stand by what I said. I'm not accusing you of anything, but seriously, some of us are struggling to know how you can set times far faster than anyone else here, so naturally we're a little wary. If you're being honest though, then fair enough. Remember that this event is primarily set up to help improve our driving abilities in this game, and to share tips from other participants in order to learn more about the ways in which we can improve. Which is why we asked you to share your tips, if you feel you have any to provide, that is.

Also, I want to say that doing what Edwin42 does, which is just posting a time without giving any details whatsoever as to how he got it, isn't something I wish to see from this point onward. At least give a hint or two if someone like AOS-, for example, asks for someone to do so.

And I'll try setting a time tomorrow when possible.

1:59.284 - VW Touraeg

OH GOD MY SHOULDERS THEY HURT. This track with the DFGT is fun, but straining on shoulders. Minty, if you do this with the Fanatec, it's gotta be a helluva work out.

"some of us are struggling to know how you can set times far faster than anyone else here"
Practice, skills etc. There's always someone better, and I'm sure there's someone better than me too.

If you want tips, i'll try to upload my laps to youtube from now on, dosen't get much better than that. :)

Last edited:
Practice, skills etc.
Doesn't explain a thing to us.
jimftr
There's always someone better, and I'm sure there's someone better than me too.
I didn't get as good I as am on NFS until someone told me how to take corners better. But if the never told me, I would have never known...
jimftr
If you want tips, i'll try to upload my laps to youtube from now on, dosen't get much better than that. :)
While I don't want to put more work on you, it is very much appreciated.... and explaining with words can't be that difficult.

Well considering it was set without changing the vehicle set-up, and with a DS3, then I stand by what I said. I'm not accusing you of anything, but seriously, some of us are struggling to know how you can set times far faster than anyone else here, so naturally we're a little wary. If you're being honest though, then fair enough. Remember that this event is primarily set up to help improve our driving abilities in this game, and to share tips from other participants in order to learn more about the ways in which we can improve. Which is why we asked you to share your tips, if you feel you have any to provide, that is.

Also, I want to say that doing what Edwin42 does, which is just posting a time without giving any details whatsoever as to how he got it, isn't something I wish to see from this point onward. At least give a hint or two if someone like AOS-, for example, asks for someone to do so.

And I'll try setting a time tomorrow when possible.
Like i promised, a replay of me driving Week 4 in the Impreza 95. My time is actually even faster than before hehe, at 1:21:673 :sly:

I also show at the begining that i have not done any tuning. :)

Last edited:
Both Hummer and Mitsubishi lack torque at lower revs. I think the best car in the Raid series has been the Bowler Nemesis.

Nemesis 1:56.907. Don't know how I hit that time on the 2nd try, with the first being at 1:58.281.

1:55.671 *EDIT* new time - Bowler Nemesis

Fun car and track, Lots of room for improvement.

Last edited:
I choose to slide a bit through the few couple of the hairpins. Are you doing the same?

Are you cutting the track at any point? I thought about cutting that one bumpy section just past the intersection where the ski slope ends, but I haven't made a good jump over that bump so I haven't set a quick time at all.

Also, how often are you braking on the 2nd half of the route?

I got 1:58.074 in the Bowler.

As best as it's gonna get. There's so much jerking Wheel correcting it makes my shoulders hurt.

I choose to slide a bit through the few couple of the hairpins. Are you doing the same?

Are you cutting the track at any point? I thought about cutting that one bumpy section just past the intersection where the ski slope ends, but I haven't made a good jump over that bump so I haven't set a quick time at all.

I try to keep at least 2 wheels on the road, i don't really cut anywhere tbh. In regards to braking? i try not to brake, just release the gas, i only brake if i need to. lol.

1:57.588 - Bowler Nemesis. Might try and beat that next week, because I know that if I push it, I can take maybe 2/10ths off.

I did slide a touch, yeah, but not a proper slide really. I noticed that I stayed level of ahead of my ghost when I maintain traction through the hairpins.

I haven't even tried cutting that part, but on my fastest run I did accidentally cut one slight right handed kink in the very middle part of the stage. I was a few tenths down on my previous best just before that happened (lost time on the first 3 hairpins), but cutting it just a bit improved my time by about half a second by the time I finished the stage. Then again, I didn't do brilliantly on the second half of the stage on my previous fastest run.

I let off the throttle on the quicker turns, but I only braked for the final hairpin, and a small amount on the long left hander just before the finish.

As best as it's gonna get. There's so much jerking Wheel correcting it makes my shoulders hurt.

Yeah, wise word correction there. :lol:

First attempts:

Mitsubishi Racing Lancer - 2'00.345

Volkswagen Race Touareg 2 - 1'59.548

Bowler Nemesis - 1'56.944

Hummer H3 - The square root of Jack

Pictures and videos are ready if anyone wants proof.

I try to keep at least 2 wheels on the road, i don't really cut anywhere tbh. In regards to braking? i try not to brake, just release the gas, i only brake if i need to. lol.

So I am braking too much then.... this would imply I need better control of the analog stick then.

Applied the brake less theory to my attempts, seems to work surprisingly well in the snow.

Applied the brake less theory to my attempts, seems to work surprisingly well in the snow.
Yea, when you get to the windy/long sweepy parts and you go under the bridge before the hairpins at the end, it works well there. Because you can go very fast assuming you use the whole of the road and set up the car for the corners before you get to them.

So I am braking too much then.... this would imply I need better control of the analog stick then.
I suppose so, it depends on how close you can get the the side of the road where the thick snow is (and big walls/embankments of snow etc lol) and how well you get the apex. The way i see it, it's defiantly better to be going fast out of a corner, rather than into it. Although going fast in and out is even better. :) lol......

Like i promised, a replay of me driving Week 4 in the Impreza 95. My time is actually even faster than before hehe, at 1:21:673 :sly:

I also show at the begining that i have not done any tuning. :)

Jesus! What in the world did you do in that hairpin under the bridge? No e-brake? Just lift-off steering? It looked incredibly sharp.

Jesus! What in the world did you do in that hairpin under the bridge? No e-brake? Just lift-off steering? It looked incredibly sharp.
Yeah just lift off steering really, nothing special.

Looks like my pc has failed (stupid cache ssd), all my data is gone, including my dirt 3 online stats (who on earth decided to store them in the save game, rather than on an online server?) Oh well.

Yes! One man down, 2 more to go! :lol:

I think I need to play this game a little more, I can't turn as smoothly as you can. :indiff:

Back