DiRT 3 Event of the Week (23): CLOSED

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 529 comments
AOS-
Yes! One man down, 2 more to go! :lol:

I think I need to play this game a little more, I can't turn as smoothly as you can. :indiff:

Lol, this just means i get a chance at having a nice win to race ratio, before the pc got ccorrupted i had won 130 races and played 240. :)

My win rate in this game outside of gymkhana silly gags was under 20% probably. Couldn't stand all the deliberate contact in Rally Cross, and Trailblazer (with no staggered starts) in all honesty felt a little laggy so I would have a slightly delayed steering response making it feel awkward enough that I didn't want to keep playing.

Well the last week went by faster than I expected. Didn't even find the time to give some of the other vehicles a go.

Anyway, new one's up now.

I ran it under single race and managed to get it to 1:56.064. I did get the time earlier, but I didn't care enough to report it any sooner....Fun thing about doing single race is that if you let the rev drop to a certain point during the timer countdown, you can get a head start. However, the timer starts at the same time you start moving I believe.

This'll be interesting. Everyone has to use the exact same vehicle.

0:52.230. A somewhat half-hearted attempt in the time I had available, but I can improve on that later.

Trying to figure out whether or not the brakes should be applied on the first turn is the only problem I'm having right now. I need to work on my angle of entry too.

This'll be interesting. Everyone has to use the exact same vehicle.

I actually disagree. This is less interesting in the sense that we cannot compare vehicles. Using the same vehicle (which is what each week has come down to) will directly compare driving skills with one another.

Landrush trucks are a PITA to corner with because it's easy to get them locked into a slide. The super soft suspensions and bumpy surface doesn't help either.

I actually disagree. This is less interesting in the sense that we cannot compare vehicles. Using the same vehicle (which is what each week has come down to) will directly compare driving skills with one another.

Last few weeks have been nothing but which car is better and everyone deciding to use that vehicle. This time, car variety is thrown out the window and only driver skill will show because everyone has no choice and to me, that is interesting. Besides, couldn't you compare vehicles any other time anyhow ;)

While deciding which car to use was a huge factor in previous events, at the end of each week always came down to who drove the car better, and this remains unchanged for any week.

AOS-
While deciding which car to use was a huge factor in previous events, at the end of each week always came down to who drove the car better, and this remains unchanged for any week.
If i could give you advice for this week it would be that you need more anticiptaion, and you should plan how you are gonna take corners before you get to them.

Are you guys lightly braking through the first wide turn? Any braking at all?

I let off the throttle a little bit, but no braking whatsoever.

Also, I actually haven't had much time to do this week's event, and I'm actually going to extend it by 24 hours. Mainly because it would be easier for me to get it up on a Friday these days, and I actually, haven't given much thought as to what the next even will be. I've been dealing with more than I bargained for this past week, so it's been difficult to stay on top of this event, plus I've been busier today than I normally am.

I will be putting up the next Time Trial tomorrow, either at 4pm or 5pm BST. This should give more people a chance to set their times if they want to as well.

Last edited:
So the new schedule is set, but I don't know how long it'll last depending on how busy I am.

The new event is up and running, and it may be twice as long as many of the previous events, but the stage isn't exactly tough compared to the other Trailblazer ones.

Also, 3:11.656 - Peugeot 405 T16

*insert time that will beat Wiegert's here*

Yep. Should be a breeze for you to beat my time (until I set one in the Tacoma).

Last edited:
Absolutely despise the Peugeot. It is so unpredictable that I can't push without one thing going wrong or another. With the Audi and Tacoma, I consistantly get sense of the limit and can push the car. The Peugeot however is just too unpredictable for me to push. One attempt I give the car more steering input and it spins, another I give it less steering input to lessen the chance and I crash. I seriously applaud anyone who manages to get a complete run with it because its not a car I can drive.

Now on to the actual times from the other two:

Audi Quattro S1 - 3'09.656

Toyota Tacoma - 3'07.653

Love the feel of both cars, but the Tacoma I can play around with more. I can get abit more loose and hang it out abit. There's also a seemingly better sense of power as well.

Absolutely despise the Peugeot. It is so unpredictable that I can't push without one thing going wrong or another. With the Audi and Tacoma, I consistantly get sense of the limit and can push the car. The Peugeot however is just too unpredictable for me to push. One attempt I give the car more steering input and it spins, another I give it less steering input to lessen the chance and I crash. I seriously applaud anyone who manages to get a complete run with it because its not a car I can drive.

I did test this stage before setting it as this week's event by using the Tacoma, and I basically decided to try out the Peugeot because I hadn't given it much attention, plus the WR was set in that car as well. It took me some time, but it did manage to set a benchmark with it, not that I'd drive it again in any Time Trial. It's incredibly unstable, plus the hard ride means that even the smaller bumps become a problem to overcome. Shame really, it's one of my all time favourite race cars, yet it's a bitch to drive fast.

And not to mention that even when I was trying to set a fest time with it, I was still 2 seconds behind my best time I set in the Tacoma (where I wasn't putting that much effort into it).

Love the feel of both cars, but the Tacoma I can play around with more. I can get abit more loose and hang it out abit. There's also a seemingly better sense of power as well.

Well the Quattro did feel more unstable than the Tacoma from what I can remember, but I haven't tried it in a while so I should try and do so next time. I know that I'll almost certainly set my fastest time in the Tacoma though. It's such a stable car, although it doesn't quite beat the others in terms of straight line pace.

The Tacoma's arguably the easiest classic trailblazer car to drive in this game. However, like Wiegert pointed out, the Quattro will outrun it.

AOS-
The Tacoma's arguably the easiest classic trailblazer car to drive in this game. However, like Wiegert pointed out, the Quattro will outrun it.

Really? I never used the tacoma, i think the quattro is a breeze to drive.

Hmmm, I'm guessing having both those times leaves alot to be confused. Wiegart, could you add my Tacoma time up to the board?

Hmmm, I'm guessing having both those times leaves alot to be confused. Wiegart, could you add my Tacoma time up to the board?

Done. and it wasn't the fact that you posted both times, either. I was simply too busy responding to your thoughts on the cars eligible for this week's event.

:lol:

Really? I never used the tacoma, i think the quattro is a breeze to drive.

Are you using a wheel? I'm using the pad so if anything I'd have a much more difficult time than you. Regardless, the Tacoma I find is less likely to have erratic responses to the road when turning and hitting an unexpected bump.

Set some 3:04 time with the quattro, but because I was able to take that super tight downhill hairpin around the boulder really fast with the Tacoma, 3:03.063. Since I'm using Automatic, the Audi can't keep up desireable torque during that time since all it does is redline on first and second gear if you so much as lose justa litle bit of grip.

Back