DiRT Showdown

Discussion in 'DiRT' started by R1600Turbo, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dragonistic

United Kingdom Oswestry, UK
    PSN:Dragonistic

If I was to make a more objective complaint it would be that the crashes weren't as spectacular as if you make your own demo derby on Dirt or Grid itself, because the game is designed around you crashing you can't smash in to a guy and slam him in to a wall taking him completely out of the race or vice versa, which gave it more of a visceral feel on the other games as the stakes were much higher. I can see why it is that way, players might feel robbed if they are one-shotted out of a race, but it felt a bit awkward that crashes in the destruction derby of a focused game for carnage were less exciting then those in Grid or Dirt where it's more of an icing on the cake.

Subjectively I feel it might turn out to be too casual for it's own good, where games like Burnout remain challenging for a lasting period for a large variety of skill levels whilst having that arcade fun factor Showdown feels sort of forced and simplistic by comparison. It's alienating alot of gamers by being that way and that might to prove it's downfall but it's not a bad game if it's attracting a fairly sizable audience.

The only real crime if any is using the Dirt name to try and sell it as it detaches itself so far from the main Dirt series it creates an identity crisis as Dirt fans likely won't enjoy this game as much and it could be damaging to the Dirt IP as a whole, then again we've seen this before with Fifa and Fifa Street amongst others so it could be fine if they market it very clearly ("A Dirt game like no other" or some other tag line would be great).

Bottom line, people aren't intended to view this as a sequel. Think of it as Showdown instead of Dirt Showdown and remember who the game is aimed at, it's not bad because you don't like it or because it's unrealistic, it does what it's supposed to do fairly competently but I don't think it's going to be remembered a year from now but how many games aimed at a really casual audience turn in to classics? Fifa Street is a good example of that, it wasn't an awful game and it sold quite well but nobody talks about it and nobody seems to play it for longer then a couple of weeks at best.
  2. BubbleBelly542

United States Southeast MI
    PSN:BubbleBelly542

But that's what happens in all Codemasters racing games online. They should make it that way, then do the same as it is in all the other CM racing games where in single player your car has 10X the strength of the AI. If that's what the bakers need then that's how it should be.

But I suppose people on this site are a bit more into racing than the average racing game player.
  3. alexnegao

Jau/Sao Paulo/Brasil
    PSN:AlexNegao

But Codemaster is all the time saying that this ain't a Dirt 4, but a Dirt Showdown, really different games.
  4. Dragonistic

United Kingdom Oswestry, UK
    PSN:Dragonistic

That may be so, but it needs to be clear at the point of sale for those who don't use forums and such as most people who actually want this game probably don't do alot of research on games. The kind of person who doesn't even know the demo is out unless a friend tells them will have no idea what to expect, plenty people in this group like past Dirt games as they weren't super serious and they need to make sure they don't dilute the IPs identity. By being completely crystal at the point of sale, there's no danger of the other marketing being missed or misinterpreted as frankly the only reason I really know prior to demo release is because I watched trailers I only knew were out because of GTP in this very thread (previously I thought we might have another round of Grid Demo Derby but improved physics like Dirt 1 to 2). The only way to be absolutely sure is by not using the Dirt name in the first place, which makes alot of sense seeing as alot of Dirt fans really won't enjoy this game anyway.

I'd like to clarify this isn't (as should be obvious) something I have a problem with, as I posted to begin with I know who this game is aimed at, but as a long term Dirt fan I don't want this game to flop and harm the reputation of other Dirt titles in the future.
  5. Katiegan

Premium
    United Kingdom Huddersfield
    PSN:Katiegan

I think Showdown is a step away from all the previous DiRT games. It's more aimed at having fun, either offline or online. Like I've said before, it's not a whole new DiRT game, it's a DiRT 3 spin-off and really just a big DLC for the game - more or less extra game modes, cars and liveries. I see that a lot of racing sim fans who have loved DiRT for the rallying won't really like it, I mean, a lot of DiRT fans hated the Gymkhana in D3. I doubt this will damage the DiRT series name though.

I think a lot of it has to do with who the game is really based from now. Since the late great Colin McRae died, they can't use his name, so Codemasters have teamed up with Ken Block and are basing their games from him now. Luckily for me I'm a big fan of both McRae and Block, so I love the games either way. For people who are more McRae fans, there's always WRC 2 as well. If you avoid the bugs.... lol.
  6. TiZzla

New Zealand New Zealand
    PSN:TIZZLAA

Am I the only one getting a very glitchy online mode? Every few races the points won't add and everyone is stuck on 0 points until the game eventually crashes and freezes.

I'm having more fun offline, and that will get boring eventually. Game is a lot of fun, the damage modelling and crashes are awesome. But if online is going to be weak then it won't be long before I sell my copy...
  7. BubbleBelly542

You're lucky... It got delayed here.
  8. Antonisbob

Canada Kelowna, Canada
    PSN:Antonisbob

That was dumb, eh? :crazy:
  9. BubbleBelly542

Why even is it? The game is obviously finished.
  10. Antonisbob

Canada Kelowna, Canada
    PSN:Antonisbob

I heard it was a business thing? But I can't be too sure.
  11. prisonermonkeys

Staff Emeritus

Going by some of the early reviews, SHOWDOWN doesn't sound that bad. Some of the new game modes - gymkhana head-to-head and gatecrasher in particular - actually sound like a lot of fun. The game still strikes me as an expansion pack, and probably isn't something I would buy, but by all accounts, it's fairly complete in its own right and not the disaster we were all expecting.
  12. Pyroboy8

United States New Hampshire
    PSN:pyroboy8

I played the demo and loved it! Is the game worth getting?
  13. MUSC4EVER

Premium
    Wales wrexham
    PSN:unduecoronet

i got the game yesterday..played it all day and i really enjoyed it!:tup:

its just a good fun game that doesnt really take itself seriously:)
  14. jayrockslife

United States New Jersey
    PSN:jayrockslife

I've loved all the games in the DiRT series so far. I WAS going to get Showdown on release day, but since they pushed back the console release in NA to June 12, i'm going to pass for now. I'm buying Resistance for Vita on tuesday and then on the 12th I'm getting Gravity Rush and MGS Collection. Don't need to buy 4 new games within 3 weeks.
  15. DwightSchrute12

United States Oklahoma
    PSN:DwightSchrute12

16. tomhart9

England Dorset
    PSN:GTP_RedShift

17. BubbleBelly542

On the website it says the game is shipping tomorrow. Does that mean that the game leaves the warehouse tomorrow or that the store has it tomorrow?
  18. DwightSchrute12

United States Oklahoma

So every game there is delayed two weeks? Yeah I don't think so...from what I usually saw in the past, most of the time it's the Friday of release week. 3 days is one thing, 14 is another...

Any regional delay in any country beyond 3-5 days is pathetic, in 2012. Brits might get screwed more often, but when US gets screwed, it's much much worse than three days. Motor storm apocalypse 1 month US delay was disgustingly pathetic. And Speaking of pathetic....

...is code masters us distributor! It sounds like they will do the same as they did F1 2010/2011 where the game leaves the warehouse tomorrow. It depends on the store though, last year the bestbuy near me had 2 copies of F1 but nobody else did on "release day". If you're not ordering online, just call before you go to make sure. But my friend did say his amazon copy shipped today for delivery tomorrow.
  19. tomhart9

England Dorset

It's better than it used to be, but I remember it regularly being a week, week and a half before a game being released here after the US or Asia. IMO there's no excuse these days, I find it hard to believe that shipping or whatever is so tight that that's the reason it's delayed. Other than that I can't think of any reason! :lol:
  20. DwightSchrute12

United States Oklahoma

I know. It made sense last gen, but this gen it's just unexcusable, for any country to be far behind.

From what I understand, the UK kinda settled into Friday releases? I don't know when movies on blu-ray/dvd come out though, but that's part of the reason, they didn't want to change everything. Friday actually makes a bit more sense. Come home from work, buy your new game, play all weekend. Either way, there's no reason for 2-4 week delays when the game is done, and there's absolutely no reason a game cannot get a proper release on release day but instead ship and just show up at retail stores whenever (typical of Codemasters games in the US thanks to their crappy WB distribution deal).
  21. tomhart9

England Dorset

It's even worse when there's options to download it! :lol: surely it's just a case of uploading it to a slightly different place? haha

Anyway: Showdown
    I'm tempted to get it, I enjoyed the demo and I have Dirt3 on OnLive but my internet is rarely strong enough to play it properly. From what I've seen in the reviews it's very mixed. I do prefer a sim and I've heard the controls are quite arcadey which make it fairly easy?
  22. BubbleBelly542

Well I'm getting it today so I don't know anything but the demo, but I feel like it is more of the demo in the full game.
  23. tomhart9

England Dorset

Ahhh hope you have fun! It'd be great if you could update us when you've had a decent play :)
  24. BubbleBelly542

May not be able to pick it up until tomorrow but I'll try for tonight.
  25. tomhart9

England Dorset

Ahh okay, there's no way that I'll be getting it before my exams are done any way (another week and a bit) so it doesn't affect me :dopey:

I hope you get it ASAP for your own enjoyment!
  26. BubbleBelly542

If I didn't have stupid marching band practice at 6 tonight it wouldn't be a problem but my mom may be able to get it on her way home from work.

I'm really looking forward to it. It's my first new game in a few months. I signed up for RaceNet the day it launched and I've been looking to rack up stats ever since.
  27. DwightSchrute12

United States Oklahoma

Don't knows where your mom planned to go but I noticed GameStop.com lowered the price from 59.99 to 39.99 (I guess matching amazon). But anyway I would think the store would be the same price. When ridge racer unbounded came out it was 10 less on GameStop.com and rang up that way in store.
  28. BubbleBelly542

Good I preordered it from gamestop so maybe it will be cheaper.
  29. rap129

PSN:rap129

Guess it's ok, bought it and about an hour of gameplay. Not to addicting in my opinion.. I just hope they make Test Drive Eve of Destruction 2, but Showdown will do. Basically the tracks are the same from previous games and multiplayer is kinda fun on a scale of 10 I'd rate it 7
  30. BubbleBelly542

I forgot to pay attention and this question will bug me but do engine sounds change when you upgrade power?
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
Next Page »