DiRT Showdown

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 164 comments
^ It's a derby game - I Boost full power into a corner without braking just so I can destroy the dude in front of me, I purposely block the road if I spin out, I PIT people in every corner, I even try to aim for people where the track crosses over just to cream them.
tongue.gif

Last edited:
Antonisbob
^ It's a derby game - I Boost full power into a corner without braking just so I can destroy the dude in front of me, I purposely block the road if I spin out, I PIT people in every corner, I even try to aim for people where the track crosses over just to cream them.

Haha. What about the race events that aren't 8 Ball with the nicest cars? Still ok to crash?

Looking forward to demolition derby... anyone played Driven to Destruction/Test Drive: Eve of Destruction? One of the best games ever!

The red hearse in the trailer reminds me of that game. :) Gauntlet mode!

Eve of Destruction was my favorite game :dopey:

Just got this game for my birthday, interestingly though its the "[Hoonigan] Exclusive Edition".

My reaction when I relized it wasn't just the base game:

success-kid.jpg

Now to see what exactly makes this so different from the regular game.

Last edited:
OK. Necro-threading, but the game dropped to $20 finally(the Hoonigan edition no less, leading me to belive either our Wal-Mart couldn't sell enough to warrant a restock, or that maybe the local populace saw through it's thin guise.

In short, I believe it's crap. I haven't been this ticked off by a game so fast in a game since The Run. It rips of Dirt 2 and Dirt 3, tries to mix them together, and fails so badly. Anyone who thinks GRID or any Dirt game are arcade games needs to play this, just to see how utterly different it is, so much so I may drop this in the GRID 2 thread.

I know everyone has an opinion, but I don't see how anyone could think this is fun aside from when other games have worn out and it's either that or housework.

I think you'll find that Showdown was an attempt to separate the non-rally aspects from Dirt franchise. Whether or not it worked is beside the point - by doing it, hopefully Codemasters have paved the way for the next Dirt game to be rallying only.

I like it, alright. It's like "Test Drive: Eve of Dirtstruction" more than anything else. And really all the did was take some of the tracks from Dirt 3 add a few more tracks and fantasy cars, and call it good.

BKGlover
It rips of Dirt 2 and Dirt 3, tries to mix them together, and fails so badly.

I don't honestly see how you can say that. The game is focused on crashing in to people. It has boost. Where in Dirt 2 or 3 do you find boost, or a demolition derby? They even said that this is not Dirt 4, it's a completely different thing.

But I'll agree that it's very disappointing.

I think you'll find that Showdown was an attempt to separate the non-rally aspects from Dirt franchise. Whether or not it worked is beside the point - by doing it, hopefully Codemasters have paved the way for the next Dirt game to be rallying only.

That may be true, but Gymkhana was the really the only gameplay fault I can find with Dirt 3.

The offline is pretty poor, I'll give you that.

Take it online and it's a blast, by far the most fun I've had in a game in a long time.

*sigh*Considering it plays to the tendencies of most of the people I have raced with online, I can see this. The problem is that while I don't mind online being an aspect of the game, something being 'more fun' online isn't something I can wrap my feeble mind around. Playing alone for 15-20 years didn't help, no, but it just feels like a crutch for the short and unsubstancial single player modes I primarily focus on still because of the said online people(no offence to anyone) effectively ruining GRID and Dirt 3 (non-Hardcore) online for me.

I don't honestly see how you can say that. The game is focused on crashing in to people. It has boost. Where in Dirt 2 or 3 do you find boost, or a demolition derby? They even said that this is not Dirt 4, it's a completely different thing.

But I'll agree that it's very disappointing.

I wasn't expecting Dirt 4. I knew that coming in, hence why I waited for it to drop so much. I heard so much hype(most shrugged off) and it failed in all reguards.

As for riping off previous games, you have to remember that there was more to them than just racing. No, the physics aren't from Dirt, I think MarioKart would be on par with it, but from Dirt 2 it attempts to rip off the World Tour, the party/festival atmosphere, and Christian, then from Dirt three it's the GUI, Gymkhana(It's at least believable in Dirt 3), and up to All-Star tier 1, two Dirt 3 tracks I didn't want to see again, Aspen and Smelter, and Christian. I will say the music wasn't bad, but that's about it.

Alright, so Dirt Showdown non-online review: So, this is basically an arcade version of Dirt. The borrowed a track from Dirt 2 (and actually ruined it, in my opinion) and a track from Dirt 3. Nothing from Dirt 1, which, they really should have. It kinda feels like FlatOut in a lot of ways. But...not nearly as fun.

Let's start with the good: The licensed car selection is pretty decent with some good variety. And, there are some fun fantasy cars, too. Some of the tracks are fun and it's nice that most locations have 8 Ball and Rampage tracks. Knock-Out I think is my favorite and I really like the idea of being able to drive back into the ring after being knocked out.

And now for the bad: First of all, why is there health regeneration in this game? I don't understand. So, with the derby cars sometimes if you get really love in health and don't get hit immediately, some of your health regenerates. Not all of it, but a little bit. And what's worse is, the AI can do it, too. Maybe it's just 'cause I was playing on casual, but...it's a demo derby. Having health regeneration in a semi-traditional demo-derby kinda defeats the point of a demo-derby.

Secondly, I kinda understand the respawning, but I wish they had a Last Man Standing mode, at least.

Third, why don't they just call it "Demo Derby"? Why "Rampage"? Then again, Demo Derby could be licensed and I wouldn't want my name on this game, either, really.

While the AI in the Rampages does go after each other, there were times when it was pretty obvious that most were going after me. Which, I HATE it when all the AI team up against you. It reminds of the old Need for Speed games when the cops ONLY chased you. Yeah, 'cause there were 7 other cars that are speeding. It get's REALLY annoying REALLY fast.

And then there's the hit-detection. So...to make things "even" apparently, Codemasters decided that, the heavier the car, the less hits would register. The stupid van is the worst, though. Seriously, like 1 out of 4 hits with that thing registered. Which got so old, that I stopped using the stupid van. By the way, this doesn't really make it fair.

Again, it does feel like they tried to blend FlatOut and Dirt especially with their vehicle design and the respawning tires. But, one of the things that made FlatOut fun was that those tires could cost you the race, so you actually try to avoid them, but here, it just seem like Codemasters was showing off the fact they have tires that actually fly around. (To be honest, real tires on the track would effect cars a lot like they do in FlatOut.) I also have no idea why there were three types of cars. I can understand leaving out the real cars from the destruction, but why'd they separate the demo cars and the race cars? I mean, if they wanted to be like FlatOut, then why not let the two classes run together?

In the end, this odd blend of Gymnkana (which, those parts, are actually pretty fun.) and FlatOut-style arcade racing, just doesn't really well. The odd thing is, if they had done a Grid Showdown, and made the game a little more Grid-themed instead of Rally themed, I think it could have been a little better. And next time, don't dumb down the Ego Engine for anything. You have a good engine, and it's not on display with Showdown.

Back