Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,084 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 616 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,035 51.3%

• Total voters
For example, if God would depart from his prior practice of only communicating with individuals in private and simultaneously address multitudes of people with unambiguous communication, that'd have my undivided attention!
Did 9/11 NOT have your undivided attention even though you deny my evidence, which is very detailed? And what about Jesus? He came down and affected thousands of people.
In return, EF, would you answer me this about the Bible? Is it God's infallible word? Are there any words in the Bible which are NOT God's infallible word? If "yes" then how can we separate the words of God from the rest? I'm assuming you would know the answer to these questions.
Fine. Yes, obviously, none of the words written are physically written by God, so there probably is some info misinterpreted in the Bible, but were you alive to hear the word? No.
American English uses the -ize suffix, English uses the -ise suffix.
@Scaff gave me a link that explained that. I understand now.

Did 9/11 NOT have your undivided attention even though you deny my evidence, which is very detailed? And what about Jesus? He came down and affected thousands of people.
You haven't posted evidence of any substance, for either 9/11 or Jesus. Yiou've posted no objective evidence at all,. only very subjective conjecture.

Fine. Yes, obviously, none of the words written are physically written by God, so there probably is some info misinterpreted in the Bible, but were you alive to hear the word? No.

Neither were any of the people who wrote the majority of the New Testament, and the ones that were didn't meet him for the most part.
http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/christian/blchron_xian_nt.htm

And then we have all the stuff taken out in the 5th and 6th Century...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

...those guys certainly were not alive for the event either, but they still took a load of stuff out. I wonder why?

@Scaff gave me a link that explained that. I understand now.
No problem

Last edited:

Stop using the word "evidence" for something that isn't evidence.

Were you?

Is there any evidence showing how man lived during the time that the bible was written, If so can you point me in the direction of it so I can read up on it?

Is there any evidence showing how man lived during the time that the bible was written, If so can you point me in the direction of it so I can read up on it?
One of the oldest sites of human settlement is located at Middle Awash in Ethiopia, where humans lived 160,000 years ago.
http://www.universetoday.com/38125/how-long-have-humans-been-on-earth/

(I'll answer the questions above too, I just wanted to reply to this one faster)

You haven't posted evidence of any substance, for either 9/11 or Jesus. Yiou've <-- Lol wut? posted no objective evidence at all,. only very subjective conjecture.
Again. It's very detailed.
The Ninth Harbinger: The Prophecy. The Ninth Harbinger is the proclaiming of the ancient vow as prophecy, as a matter of public record, and spoken before the words come true. On Sept 12, 2001, the day after
9/11, America issues its official response to the attack. The one in charge of issuing the response was Tom Daschle, Senate Majority Leader. As he closes his speech he makes a declaration – he proclaims the ancient vow of defiance, word for word, to the world. By doing so he prophesies the nation’s future course, all of which comes to pass.
These quotes, ugh.

And then we have all the stuff taken out in the 5th and 6th Century...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

...those guys certainly were not alive for the event either, but they still took a load of stuff out. I wonder why?

Blasphemy.

Last edited:
@EF12345678
First a handy piece of advice. If you want to try and pick people up on every minor typo (while being mistaken on one occasion about it) then feel free to do so. Keep in mind that should you wish to put every members post to that degree of scrutiny then expect the same of yours, however remember that the staff can do that from the viewpoint of the AUP.

Again. It's very detailed.
Its neither detailed or objective evidence.

Its speculative conjecture written with hindsight.

Did Tom Daschle quote from Isaiah? Yes he did, and had this book been written before 9/11 you would have a point of interest, but it was written a decade after.

Its really easy to find links in something with hindsight, particularity when you want to look for patterns.

Last edited:
Yes, obviously, none of the words written are physically written by God, so there probably is some info misinterpreted in the Bible, but were you alive to hear the word? No.

So "God" can create an entire universe consisting of hundreds of billions of galaxies, each galaxy consisting of hundreds of billions of stars, with attendant planets, wandering planets, comets, dust clouds, asteroids, dark matter and so on, with very precise and unambiguous "laws of physics" but can't physically write anything? And allows what you call "misinterpretation"?

If you want to try and pick people up on every minor typo (while being mistaken on one occasion about it) then feel free to do so. Keep in mind that should you wish to put every members post to that degree of scrutiny then expect the same of yours, however remember that the staff can do that from the viewpoint of the AUP.
:guilty: OK, sorry. I wasn't trying to anger anyone or be nit-picky.

EDIT:
Did Tom Daschle quote from Isaiah? Yes he did, and had this book been written before 9/11 you would have a point of interest, but it was written a decade after.
That's not where I got it from, sadly. Yes, and people predict the world to end all the time. This was realized after it took affect (the USA being warned).

Last edited:
Yes, obviously, none of the words written are physically written by God, so there probably is some info misinterpreted in the Bible, but were you alive to hear the word? No.

Sorry, EF, I got a little distracted from the topic upon being reminded of God's illiteracy!

Back to the Bible.

If, as you say, "there probably is some info misinterpreted in the Bible", then how does the reader sort out the truth from the human error?

Maybe by eliminating any sections which are either contradictory or ambiguous? Or should we continue with past practice and just interpret it in a way which supports our personal biases? Or throw the whole thing out?

Maybe you have a better plan? (Feel free to enlist the opinions of those who taught you to be a Christian).

So "God" can create an entire universe consisting of hundreds of billions of galaxies, each galaxy consisting of hundreds of billions of stars, with attendant planets, wandering planets, comets, dust clouds, asteroids, dark matter and so on, with very precise and unambiguous "laws of physics" but can't physically write anything?
What boss writes his own stuff? Haven't you people ever heard of dictation??

How can a book, thousands of years old, predict something as detailed as this and have it play out right in front of millions of people without some help from a supernatural being (God)? Planes were not even invented, but they were in the prediction too. Explain that.
By being extreme vague, and being interpreted by highly biased minds. That's how most super natural future predictions work.

You also got the first harbinger wrong. It was clearly back in 1993, or 1941, or 1812. Or those other times the US was attacked, if simply being attacked implies a lack of divine protection.

I would be lying if I said I didn't have a problem with people believing whatever they want - I do. While I appreciate that people ought to be allowed to believe whatever they want, it is of utmost importance to stress that believing whatever you want is a bad idea, especially if what you believe happens to be contrary to established fact.

Yes. The way I think of it is, you're free to do whatever you want on your own, including being as illogical and foolish as you want to be, but that ends when you involve other people.

What boss writes his own stuff? Haven't you people ever heard of dictation??

I want to know what boss employs you without telling you.

Is this where I get to tell you what part of your contributions here I would prefer to cease?

I don't share EF's beliefs, at all, but he is completely within his rights on this forum to post what he does in the status updates.
So with this new site update, ignoring someone hides their status updates as well, correct? I just can't stand bible thumpers really, spewing crap from that book which I'm sure most of them haven't even read from cover to cover.

So with this new site update, ignoring someone hides their status updates as well, correct? I just can't stand bible thumpers really, spewing crap from that book which I'm sure most of them haven't even read from cover to cover.

A model of class, as ever.

Throw around another insult like that again and you won't have to worry about reading any status updates.

Which is my opinion, and certainly not an insult.
It was an insult you should've kept to yourself. You can hit the ignore button without talking about it you know. You wanted to make it known that you were ignoring me. :rolleyes:

I like to follow the activities of Ray Comfort, it's tremendous entertainment. For those who don't know he's the Intelligent-Design-Banana dude.

Here are his Euro tracts (something to do with digestion, I guess). To make them "French" he's put Zidane on them... that well known French Christian*.

*Algerian, actually. And Muslim. With a history of violent conduct.

Dear atheists, agnostics and adherents to non-Abrahamic religions, we are all doomed.

Read this and weep.
"9. Then I heard God say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children.”

Wait, is this from an Abrahamic religion, or some Harry Potter cult?

Only those with marked foreheads are saved? Hinduism has the golden ticket.

Checkmate, Abraham.

Twenty fabulous beliefs for you from mainstream current religions. CLICK HERE.

Here they are, click the link for the sources of these beliefs!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1. The foreskin of [a holy one] may lie safeguarded in reliquaries made of gold and crystal and inlayed with gems--or it may have ascended into the heavens all by itself. ( 2)

2. A race of giants once roamed the earth, the result of women and demi-gods interbreeding. (1, 6). They lived at the same time as fire breathing dragons. ( 1)

3. Evil spirits can take control of pigs. ( 1)

4. A talking donkey scolded a prophet. ( 1, 3)

5. A righteous man can control his wife’s access to eternal paradise. ( 6)

6. Brown skin is a punishment for disobeying God. ( 6)

7. A prophet once traveled between two cities on a miniature flying horse with the face of a woman and the tail of a peacock. ( 4)

8. [The Holy One] forbids a cat or dog receiving a blood transfusion and forbids blood meal being used as garden fertilizer. ( 7)

9. Sacred underwear protects believers from spiritual contamination and, according to some adherents, from fire and speeding bullets ( 6)

10. When certain rites are performed beforehand, bread turns into human flesh after it is swallowed. ( 2)

11. Invisible supernatural beings reveal themselves in mundane objects like oozing paint or cooking food. ( 2)

12. In the end times, [the Holy One’s] chosen people will be gathered together in Jackson County, Missouri. ( 6)

13. Believers can drink poison or get bit by snakes without being harmed. ( 1)

14. Sprinkling water on a newborn, if done correctly, can keep the baby from eons of suffering should he or she die prematurely. ( 2)

15. Waving a chicken over your head can take away your sins. ( 3)

16. [A holy one] climbed a mountain and could see the whole earth from the mountain peak. ( 1, 2)

17. Putting a dirty milk glass and a plate from a roast beef sandwich in the same dishwasher can contaminate your soul. ( 3)

18. There will be an afterlife in which exactly 144,000 people get to live eternally in Paradise. ( 8)

19. Each human being contains many alien spirits that were trapped in volcanos by hydrogen bombs. ( 5)

20. [A supernatural being] cares tremendously what you do with your penis. 1,2,3,4,6,7,8.

Back