Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,083 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 616 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,035 51.3%

• Total voters
This is the reason why I don't understand god. Everybody has there own view but yet it leads to an argument and then to a fight about religion and killing people for the sake of it. If god was humane enough we'd all believe in the same one heck I'd not care if you have different belief.
Arguing doesn't disprove god. It may disprove some specific gods, but it doesn't make the concept implode. It's not actually hard to fit a god into the world as it is, that god just needs to be less than all powerful. That's the great flaw with many religions. An all powerful and all good god does not exist, and that's a fact. If such a being did exist the world would have to be different.

I don't even want to know what else is out there in the universe because it scares me. what we may find out there may hurt us more. If we see how we were created. It's something I don't want to find out because it will hurt us.
Not knowing should be at least as scary. Knowledge can lead to answering problems. Being ignorant just makes you more vulnerable.

How do you arrive at that conclusion? If we, for example, find out that there's no way a god had anything to do with it, how does that hurt us? Nobody would be able to quote scripture to justify persecution anymore, otherwise they'd be labelled extremists (and likely idiots). The same goes for finding out some sentient being created us, because either they could tell us what's what, or they'd be dead, and thus irrelevant. There's also the possibility that if it was a natural occurrence we could find the what, then the how, then create limitless energy. Or destroy ourselves at the first attempt, but... meh, how would we even notice? I see nothing but good from finding out.

Arguing doesn't disprove god. It may disprove some specific gods, but it doesn't make the concept implode. It's not actually hard to fit a god into the world as it is, that god just needs to be less than all powerful. That's the great flaw with many religions. An all powerful and all good god does not exist, and that's a fact. If such a being did exist the world would have to be different.

Not knowing should be at least as scary. Knowledge can lead to answering problems. Being ignorant just makes you more vulnerable.

The only bad thing that could happen is that we find out we were all mistakes in creation. Something could have gone wrong. Also the story of Adam and Eve is Bull because that would make us all insest. Another reason I wouldn't want to go exploring is because of the time shifts. Say I went on another planet and aged at a slower rate then everyone else. Also say we do find other life form they may want to come and start a war with us.

The only bad thing that could happen is that we find out we were all mistakes in creation. Something could have gone wrong.
That's not really a bad thing. Think of it like this, whether or not we're the mistake of a super being or some aliens won't change our lives in the slightest. It doesn't mean that we suddenly don't deserve to live or anything.

Right now the best evidence points to us coming from simple physics without any reason or purpose. That doesn't make any reason or purpose you find in life less valid.

Also the story of Adam and Eve is Bull because that would make us all insest. Another reason I wouldn't want to go exploring is because of the time shifts. Say I went on another planet and aged at a slower rate then everyone else. Also say we do find other life form they may want to come and start a war with us.

This is getting into other threads, but speculations works both ways.

Asking if the universe is hostile is as valid as asking if every other civilization is a peaceful utopia that wishes to share utopia with us.

The only bad thing that could happen is that we find out we were all mistakes in creation. Something could have gone wrong. Also the story of Adam and Eve is Bull because that would make us all insest. Another reason I wouldn't want to go exploring is because of the time shifts. Say I went on another planet and aged at a slower rate then everyone else. Also say we do find other life form they may want to come and start a war with us.

Who said anything about physically exploring? That wouldn't do any good seeing as the universe started everywhere. And aliens, why do you seem so scared of aliens? Resources and land are the biggest reason for wars, and I doubt they use oil as fuel or need a hunk of rock like Earth when there are billions of them out there. If they're going to kill us it's because they're extremely aggressive, which means finding them first would be our best bet for survival. TBH, I'm more worried for the aliens if we get out there first, we're heathenistic and barbaric, we'll either kill them or tell them about some magic baby... ;)

I'll answer the thread's question with a simple yes, I believe in him. Though, I don't believe in everything that the bible says.

The only bad thing that could happen is that we find out we were all mistakes in creation.

How is that bad? We're here now. If the cake turns out delicious, it doesn't matter whether I screwed up the recipe or not.

Also the story of Adam and Eve is Bull because that would make us all insest.

Why is incest bad, exactly?

Another reason I wouldn't want to go exploring is because of the time shifts. Say I went on another planet and aged at a slower rate then everyone else.

So don't go exploring. That's a personal thing, it's not an argument against other people going exploring and sharing the information with you. You might not want to go to Antarctica, but it's still useful if other people go and tell you about what's down there. That way you get all the positives with none of the negatives.

Also say we do find other life form they may want to come and start a war with us.

As others have pointed out, aliens are in far greater danger from us. If anything, we should be searching for them in the hope that they can teach us how to stop killing ourselves in massive quantities.

@Cobra_GT500 Just to be clear, Adam & Eve had Cain & Abel first, then Seth came along later. Those are the only three named children of Adam & Eve. But Genesis 5:4 states:

After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters

I am all for picking holes in relgious nonsese stories but the Cain & Abel having it off with Eve one doesn't stand. Not that the other sons and daughters isn't incest, but we have to accept what is written in the book. Many, many, many times it is absolute tripe but on other occasions (Noah's Ark, Adam & Eve's children) there are perceived wisdoms people 'know' without actually looking it up.

Tripe still has to be source-accurate tripe.

Last edited:
1395419_10154948253160497_8471152639021589865_n.jpg

Me and mu lil sis.

Merry Christmas evroone!!

:)

Apparently Incest is against Leviticus 18:6-18 in the Bible. So it seems a bit hypocritical.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/incest

I was more asking if Cobra had an idea why he thought incest was bad, apart from "because it's in my book".

I don't find the Bible saying incest is bad to be hypocritical. If there's only a few people on the planet, then there are two choices: incest or the race dies out. In that situation, you 🤬 your sister from sunrise to sunset, and then you do your mother all night long. But in a situation where there is a range of potential partners there's advantages for a society that doesn't practise incest, especially in the long term.

The same is true of a lot of stuff in the Bible actually (and other religious texts). A lot of the stuff is good solid advice for building a strong society in the sort of times these religions came about. A lot of it's also complete bollocks, but you can't win them all I guess.

I happen to think that the good parts of the Bible are good for reasons that can be explained to others without resort to "but it's in the Bible". Anything that has to be justified with that sort of appeal to authority probably wasn't a very good idea in the first place.

And I guess this is a big part of my problem with things like the Bible. It's just a set of rules for people to follow, they don't necessarily need to understand them. Which is fine, I guess, it works to a certain degree. But I generally have faith that people tend to make good decisions when they're well informed, and so I'd rather people learn why it's not really a good idea not to stick it in your sister, rather than simply decreeing "thou shalt not slip it into thy siblings".

If we are all apart of incest then it contradicts the Bible. The Bible said it is not ok but people do it anyway in the Bible.

Well yes. If god initially created just two humans then there was only ever retrospective incest with our fancy fangled anthropology, sociology and sexology terms. But it's important to remember that back in those days questioning the Bible with a "But if [contradiction x], then [ paradox y]" resulted in a death sentence. In some Abrahamic countries this still happens.

Biblical literalism is rather tricky to discuss anyway. Atheists can look ridiculous clutching at straws of a story many believers don't actually take literally and theists can be embarrassed that what they believe to be ultimate truth and salvation has its origins in something better suited for a book for children.

Not that any of this actually gives any credence or validity to Adam, Eve and their numerous sons and daughters.

I believe in God :)

Which one and, if you will, why?

I believe in God :)

Some thoughts for you. Think about which god you believe in, why you believe in it and why you don't believe in all the thousands of other gods. Would you still have the same beliefs had you not been exposed to the idea of god (or gods) until you had learned to reason. If you feel like it, you could share your thoughts.

I don't see a logical reason why the Bible should ban incest, not because of the Adam and Eve stuff, but because - well, seriously, if you have kids with your close relatives, there's a higher chance for them to turn out dumb enough not to have the ability to think critically, and they're likely to submit to the religious dogma for the rest of their lives, yay!

I don't see a logical reason why the Bible should ban incest, not because of the Adam and Eve stuff, but because - well, seriously, if you have kids with your close relatives, there's a higher chance for them to turn out dumb enough not to have the ability to think critically, and they're likely to submit to the religious dogma for the rest of their lives, yay!

Since all members of the Abrahamic religions are descended from Adam and Eve, and are the result of many, many generations of inbreeding, maybe this explains something. It's a benefit for atheists.

Since all members of the Abrahamic religions are descended from Adam and Eve, and are the result of many, many generations of inbreeding, maybe this explains something. It's a benefit for atheists.

Members of the Abrahamic religions generally believe EVERYONE came from Adam and Eve, not just themselves.

Personally I believe that the Bible isn't an all-inclusive; I don't think it contains information for everything God did after the six days of creation because some of the information isn't important. I think it's plausible that God created other humans long after Adam and Eve for their sons and daughters to reproduce with. But like I said, I don't think it is important for Christians to worry about exact details of creation. I think if God did want us to know those things, He would have included them in Genesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members of the Abrahamic religions generally believe EVERYONE came from Adam and Eve, not just themselves.

That's why it's a "belief", because there is no evidence.

Personally I believe that the Bible isn't an all-inclusive; I don't think it contains information for everything God did after the six days of creation because some of the information isn't important. I think it's plausible that God created other humans long after Adam and Eve for their sons and daughters to reproduce with. But like I said, I don't think it is important for Christians to worry about exact details of creation. I think if God did want us to know those things, He would have included them in Genesis.

Genesis contains a bunch of internal inconsistencies and inconsistencies with observable reality. What do your beliefs (there's that word again!) tell you about why these are included along with a whole lot of other detail, yet it would not mention the act of creation of other humans after the first seven days were over?

That's why it's a "belief", because there is no evidence.

Just because someone believes something doesn't necessarily mean there isn't any evidence for their belief. There is plenty of historical evidence for events in the Bible as a whole. The story of creation is lacking in this evidence compared to other parts of the Bible, but that doesn't mean it is false.

Genesis contains a bunch of internal inconsistencies and inconsistencies with observable reality. What do your beliefs (there's that word again!) tell you about why these are included along with a whole lot of other detail, yet it would not mention the act of creation of other humans after the first seven days were over?

I believe that if God did create other humans, for some reason or another He didn't think it was important for us to know it. I believe that God is a far more intelligent being than you or I, and that trying to understand his actions can be futile. That probably sounds like an excuse to someone who doesn't believe in God, but that is what I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
@JMoney689, there is a wealth of observational evidence which contradicts the story of creation, and it is that abundance of observation which renders it false. Just as the story of Noah's Flood conflicts with reality and possibility, and omits things that God didn't think we needed to know, such as the existence of the platypus.

To fall back on the evasion that we can't understand God because he's more intelligent than you or I is a dangerous slippery slope. It's not just an "excuse", it is dangerous. It leads to potential actions such as murdering sabbath-workers "in the name of God". The vast majority of our society is equipped with a moral view which says that murdering sabbath-workers is wrong. It is just not nice. However, if you push the view that God's word overrides morality for reasons we cannot understand, eventually you'll find some people for whom such behavior resonates and people will die. For God. If you think this is absurd and just not possible, google Charlie Hebdo.

So, I think we need to end this arguement, believe what you want to believe. Nowhere in the Christian religion does it say to kill all infidels or persecute those who are not christian. Instances where this had happened have been all because of human nature, not from a command in the Bible. Is it really that bad that someone believes that God created the Earth? I do have a question that I always wanted to ask to someone who is an atheist, what do you think happens when we die? I'm just curious as I never got to really ask someone that. I'm not meaning it in a way that's offensive or anything like that, I'm just curious.👍

So, I think we need to end this arguement, believe what you want to believe.
The thread isn't stopping you. It's just a discussion.

Nowhere in the Christian religion does it say to kill all infidels or persecute those who are not christian.
A religion doesn't need to say that to cause harm. Christianity has instilled disapproval of homosexuality into many people for example, which is a serious negative impact.

Instances where this had happened have been all because of human nature, not from a command in the Bible.
When it comes to belief, and picking and choosing it's pretty easy to make the Bible say whatever you want. The Bible has been a reference for a long time, and while people have put a lot of effort to make the book change little over time, acceptable Christian interpretation of the Bible has changed drastically.

Is it really that bad that someone believes that God created the Earth?
By itself maybe not. However it's not actually rational to believe something. Then you go on to things like belief turning people away from actual facts. Examples like religious schools trying to do away with evolution because the Bible doesn't mention it.

I do have a question that I always wanted to ask to someone who is an atheist, what do you think happens when we die? I'm just curious as I never got to really ask someone that. I'm not meaning it in a way that's offensive or anything like that, I'm just curious.👍
When you die, you're dead. As far as you're concerned, nothing happens anymore. That's what the evidence says.

Back