Do you need to Heel-and-Toe downshift?

• Thread starter Thomasss95
  • 14 comments
Netherlands
The Netherlands
Hey,

I am going to buy a Logitech G27.
I was looking at some videos on YouTube of people Heel-and-Toe downshifting in Gran Turismo 5 with the G27.
Do I really need to do that? Or can I downshift "normally"?

Thomas

It's not strictly necessary, some people do it just because it sounds smoother than just downshifting. Plus, because it's only a game, there is no wear being done on the transmission/engine, so blipping the throttle isn't important.

I personally do it, that said.

If you do do it put your right foot on the brake but just enough of your foot to control the pedal then push the clutch in with your left foot change gears and then with the rest of your right foot jab the throttle to raise the rpms then let out the clutch. It takes time to figure out but when you figure it out it helps. I do it in real life and my ride to work up a mountain is much more comfortable and it is easier on your clutch.

Hey,

I am going to buy a Logitech G27.
I was looking at some videos on YouTube of people Heel-and-Toe downshifting in Gran Turismo 5 with the G27.
Do I really need to do that? Or can I downshift "normally"?

Thomas

In racing or performance driving, heel-toe is what you would call "normal".

If you're not using ABS then in some cars it helps steady the car under braking (Cobra and a lot of 4WDs).

If you're using ABS it's not necessary. 👍

yeah, you can get by without heel-toe but it is quicker.

I only use the clutch in practice because it's sooooo easy to miss a gear that it's almost guaranteed to lose you the race.

heel-toeing , left foot braking, throttle blip on downshifts, will up your rank in GT Academy, from top 12% to top 5%.

Thanks again for your reactions!

I have one more question and I didn't want to make a new thread for it...
What is the best car to practice with when I want to learn racing with the G27?
A car that is not slow, but not too fast either and a easy to handle car.

I've just started practicing myself. Still slower than what I would normally get if I just used the paddle shifters. Paddle shifters will always have the perfect up/down shift so there is an advantage there. But I find it more rewarding to win using heel toe method.

I've started out on using cars with lesser amounts of hp. Which is cool for me because I probably wouldnt have touched them otherwise. 👍

So I just had to reply to this thread.
Heel-toe is left foot breaking while clutching to maintain RPM's.
Since GT5 doesn't use a clutch it's pointless. If you have a GT27 (I do) or other pedal with clutch - it acts like a gear. You can go into that gear and out by changing gears but you can not slip the clutch. Which would be great if you could.
Less I am the only person who's clutch doesn't work ...

So I just had to reply to this thread.
Heel-toe is left foot breaking while clutching to maintain RPM's.
Since GT5 doesn't use a clutch it's pointless. If you have a GT27 (I do) or other pedal with clutch - it acts like a gear. You can go into that gear and out by changing gears but you can not slip the clutch. Which would be great if you could.
Less I am the only person who's clutch doesn't work ...

I don't quite get what you mean with that sentence in bold. You have to brake with your right foot to heel and toe.

You don't need clutch slip to heel and toe. It's all about blipping the throttle to match the RPMs for the lower gear and thus eliminate the awkward engine braking which happens when you release the clutch and reduce the forces going through the car while braking which makes it more stable and braking more effective.

I don't think it's absolutely neccessary to do it in GT5 especially if you use ABS (which stabilizes the car unrealistically when braking) but it's certainly worth it to learn it. Without ABS it certainly plays a bigger role since you lock your brakes easier if you upset the car with engine braking.

When I first started racing with a clutch, when I was approaching a braking zone I always hit the clutch and grabbed the gearstick first before braking, which is a mistake. It's important to first move your right leg to the brake and after you've braked a fraction of a second, then kick the clutch while using the outside of your right foot to simultaneously touch the throttle a bit.

After I figured out the order of the actions I needed to perform, it didn't take but a day to learn it and soon after that it started to come natural.

Practice by building up to a high speed, and then braking to 0 while shifting just once and try to heel-toe that shift. Remember to move your right foot to the brake first, and then while you're decelerating try to do shift down while touching the throttle with the outside of your foot. It's alright to let the brake pedal rise a bit from the bottom while you blip the throttle (you shouldn't have it down all the way anyway unless you're using ABS) and then just release the clutch.

Next time try shifting down twice, then thrice, and so you'll eventually learn to do it so fast you can shift all the way from 6th to 1st and it'll be memorized in your muscle memory.

Actually for me i find it useless as i always do engine braking which means the rev is already at redline
I only kick clutch sometimes to build up the rev when exiting corners and such

Thanks again for your reactions!

I have one more question and I didn't want to make a new thread for it...
What is the best car to practice with when I want to learn racing with the G27?
A car that is not slow, but not too fast either and a easy to handle car.

I find stock cars easier to practice especially fwd as the back of the car will not slide out and such
But after s few times than you can use it on any cars

Back