Do you still support PD?

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 324 comments

Do you still support PD?

• Total voters
There's also the chance that those that have had enough or grew out of the series and moved on to better things are no longer around to vote.

There are many other chances that could tip the poll all manner of ways.

A poll of active GTP members shouldn't really factor in the chance of non active members though.

So, results after about a month later:

View attachment 301322

My conclusions:
  • PD has its dedicated followers.
  • More people support PD than those who don't.
  • The number of fence-sitters is nearly the same as those who mostly support PD and those who don't support PD much.
  • Only a small portion of people have completely lost it with PD.
My take on it is a little different. I see a 50/50 split between fully to mostly fully support vs. "meh" to I don't support them at all. Given that this is the home of the hardcore GT fanbase I don't find that very encouraging. Basically anyone from neutral on down is a potential lost customer and that's fully half of the respondents.

My take on it is a little different. I see a 50/50 split between fully to mostly fully support vs. "meh" to I don't support them at all. Given that this is the home of the hardcore GT fanbase I don't find that very encouraging. Basically anyone from neutral on down is a potential lost customer and that's fully half of the respondents.

"Don't support them much" could also mean that someone would only purchase their product every couple of years.

Hard to quantify support without it being defined pre poll. For some it's emotional, for others it's financial.

I remember before GT6 there was only a minority of people complaining about the series, now that has grown to almost half of GTP users. We are fairly representative as a community for the general public that buys GT games so i'm guessing if GT7 continues along the same path as 6, PD can count on another major sales loss especially because PS4 users will already have other car games in their collection like Driveclub and PCARS.

Before PD could count on being the only triple A car game on Playstation apart from NFS, but that is luckily not the case anymore, they are gonna have to work now to earn their customers 👍

Regarding the stats and where the people are sitting, you'd find me in the middle. I still support PD a bit because it gives me great physics to play with, with a small budget, that I can't deny. But GT6 massively disappointed me to the point I only ever play once a week, aka when I meet my fellow Zero Cupers online...

What these (limited in scope) stats may show, is not that the level of support is evenly balanced with a majority of supporters, but that a once almost unanimous support has been in the process of shifting (at different speeds because of different personal factors) towards desillusion.

I'd be curious to know what these stats would have looked like in Nov 2013, because I was on the 'full support' side back then, full of excitement about GT6.

No, don't support them much.

No, don't support them at all.

And yet most user who voted these played GT6 way more than me even if i got the game before the release.
------------------------
I had to go to "Neutral. Sometimes support them and sometimes don't." option as i love PD and Gran Turismo more than almost any game else (i love it more than most of today fps ex: COD. deal with it) but i'm disappointment for what they did to GT6, It feel un-complete for some reason, Rushed, empty and had way lower replay value than other GT.

I mostly support them. Sure they do some things that disappoint us but they still make awesome games.

I just see it as stale. A year+ in and we still have issues present from release day (camber, etc.) We're also missing promised features that were present in 5 (Bspec, Shuffle races, Endurance, Track maker, etc) and we still haven't gotten any features except for Community features that should have been present day 1.

If anything, the only part of the physics model that got better is the tire model. The chassis and aero model are the same if not worse than gt5's.

I tried to look positively at PD and Gt6, but I just can't anymore.

I'm neutral. They have always been about the cars and racing. People asking for mods and all this other stuff aren't wrong, but they clearly haven't grown up with the GT games. Some things I can't accept at all is the garbage looking cars. All cars should be premium no matter what, 0 exceptions. They have a million of the same car. No one cares if you have every miata since we are only really gonna drive 1-2 anyway. One thing that really made me upset was the lack of drag track in GT6. It was DLC in GT5 that every single person loved. Drag racing itself has become very popular and they didn't even add this track to GT6. It was already done and everything. Blows my mind some of the decisions they have made.

At first I fully supported PD and its kind of gone and declined from then on, I loved GT5 and liked GT6 at the start but something just doesnt feel right. GT6, though it is a little better than GT5 in some areas, is just lacking in so many areas. Updates have taken an age to come out and when they have they contain nothing more than a few minor changes and maybe a VGT car every 2 months or so. Yes there have been some nice changes and surprises here and there (eg. great sounds for some cars) but then it hasnt been much more. We have only had a few updates containing real cars and no more than a few tracks have been added. I do play the game every now and then but the lack of friends playing it now has made me join those who just pick up and play for an hour or so. It's really sad. Hopefully PD do a great job with GT7 and if they do I will return to playing GT games often.

I've played every GT since 3, and I always had the challenge of those really hard races. Races like the formula GT championship, the endurance races, etc.

But now 6 has none of that. Now instead of the endurance races being about having a few friends over one weekend to do a 24 hour race, it's "I have half an hour and nothing to do, so I might as well" for 24 minutes.

There is no challenge anymore, and anything they think could possibly be challenging has SRF forced on. It's like they're making the game for elementary schoolers who don't know how to race, and also don't know how to go to settings and turn assists on, so they force them on for them.

I'm just tired of starting 40 seconds back, because I can't enjoy the game. I have 3-4 laps or 10 minutes to catch a car that is 40 seconds ahead. I have to go way over the level of the cars I'm racing just to catch the rabbit. I could make decent races if we started as a pack and I ran a car that was equal to the field.

But whatever, I fixed my PC so now it's back to 10+ year old PC games that are still years ahead of what PD can do on a fraction of a budget and development time.

A year of many ups and downs for GT6 has gone by. Some people are amused, while others, disappointed. So, do you still support Polyphony Digital?

1/1/2015 - 1/30/2015 Results
upload_2015-1-30_23-3-55-png.301322
What does "support" mean in this context? Then I can maybe answer the poll.

What does "support" mean in this context? Then I can maybe answer the poll.

Do you support their decisions and their products?

Sorry, defining the word "support" as meaning "support" doesn't help. Maybe it means "agree with their decisions", but what does "support their products" mean. I bought GT5 and GT6 and I played GT5, now play GT6, so how would I answer the poll?

Sorry, defining the word "support" as meaning "support" doesn't help. Maybe it means "agree with their decisions", but what does "support their products" mean. I bought GT5 and GT6 and I played GT5, now play GT6, so how would I answer the poll?

I would say the question is: do you think GT6 is a great game? Is it what you expected it to be? Do you think PD is heading for the right direction with GT, given the last two GT games? Will you still buy GT no matter what?

As for me, I will not buy GT7 until I know what I'm getting. And I will not buy it just because it's GT. And if GT7 follows the trend of releasing half-assed games, I will drop the series completely. So you could say (like I voted) I don't support them at all. Someone else has to take charge and turn the series around, in my opinion.

I still love gran turismo. 6 was a huge surprise for me despite it's faults. It has a certain vibe that only a few fames have managed to give me

I think, the more people talked, pointed out the bad things about GT6, the more it became hated. When I look from distance i see a high quality game. Of course it has flaws, but it's toxic to always talk about them. In can happen with any game. If you continue telling a child he's bad and stupid, he will become worse and eventually really become what you described him as, or just in your eyes. If you encourage him he will become better and better. Pointing out flaws has been done 10000 times. We can list them (i think it's already been done in some forum) but saying again and again you hate GT6 for x reason already listed, it's ok for once, but then it becomes toxic Imo.

A year of many ups and downs for GT6 has gone by. Some people are amused, while others, disappointed. So, do you still support Polyphony Digital?

1/1/2015 - 1/30/2015 Results
upload_2015-1-30_23-3-55-png.301322

I don't have massive entitlement issues, so I still support PD. Gran Turismo 6 has been awesome with post-launch updates. The concept cars and other free content updates are great. I am really happy with GT6 mostly because of the cars we've been getting that won't appear in any other racing sim.

I don't have massive entitlement issues, so I still support PD. Gran Turismo 6 has been awesome with post-launch updates. The concept cars and other free content updates are great. I am really happy with GT6 mostly because of the cars we've been getting that won't appear in any other racing sim.

Mario Kart also has fantasy cars that won't appear in any racing sim. That's not to knock you - to each his own, of course. It's just for me, adding fantasy cars over real cars adds 0 value. When you take the fantasy stuff out, the remaining "free content" feels quite small.

You know, GT6 only needed to be better than GT5 and all the other racing games for people to buy it, and it was.

GT7 only needs to be better than GT6 and every other racing game as well and it will be.

If you think GT7 is only going to be GT6, but with better graphics, well I think it would have been released already... I'm expecting to be surprised with GT7.

You know, GT6 only needed to be better than GT5 and all the other racing games for people to buy it, and it was.

I don't think it was. If I was going to put one of the two games into the PS3 to play today, I'd put GT5 in.

GT6 has some aspects that are improved over GT5, but it's certainly not the slam dunk that it should have been. GT6 should have been GT5+all the new stuff, and it isn't.

It's missing B spec and course maker, which both sucked IMO.

But you know, I have not read any "I played GT5 the other day because GT6 sucks so hard and GT5 is so much better" threads.

It's missing B spec and course maker, which both sucked IMO.

It's also missing shuffle racing, some nice photomode locations, some additional options for arcade racing (ie. setting up your own races), and it's a bit harder to engineer yourself a close race with the AI due to the rubberbanding. And I find the graphics to be slightly more irritating, but I play from cockpit.

None of which probably matters to you, which makes GT6 a better game for you. It doesn't necessarily make GT6 a better game overall, which is presumably why GT6 isn't going to sell nearly as many copies as GT5. If GT6 was an outright better game, everyone who owned GT5 would have a copy, especially now when the price is so low that they're basically giving it away. There's a decent amount of people who found GT6 to be not enough of an improvement to buy it, and there's a group (like me) who bought it and found it not to be the improvement they were hoping for.

GT6 is a good game. It's a better game than GT5 for you, and that's nice. But if GT7 is to GT6 as GT6 was to GT5, I think you'll find that there's a significant group of people who find GT7 to be a great improvement either.

I think you're getting confused between "GT6 is a better game" and "I find GT6 to be a better game". There's an argument to be made for GT6 being objectively better than GT5, but "B Spec and course maker sucked anyway" is not it. Personally, I think GT6 *could* have been outright better than GT5 (with the potential exception of missing features which will hopefully turn up one day), but they messed it up with certain design choices.

But you know, I have not read any "I played GT5 the other day because GT6 sucks so hard and GT5 is so much better" threads.

Ah, of course. Those threads don't exist so there must not be people doing that. How silly of me.

GT7 only needs to be better than GT6 and every other racing game as well and it will be.

If you think GT7 is only going to be GT6, but with better graphics, well I think it would have been released already... I'm expecting to be surprised with GT7.

I have been a fan of the GT series since GT1. Gt was the only reason I bought a PS1, PS2 or PS3.

However if I want to race on the PS3, there are a number of titles I would prefer to put in before resorting to GT. In no particular order....

F12010
Grid 1
Shift Unleashed
Grid:AS

These games may lack the high detail models of GT and don't make any attempt at photo realism. The physics on some don't feel particularly great etc... but they do at least have some other features which to me are essential for a racing game.

1) Competitive races, where there is an attempt at parity between the participants
2) AI that can at least give you a challenge (for a while anyway)
3) Damage - an essential element of trying to drive a car fast around a track - is not destroying it.
4) Some have practice and qualifying (all circuit racers should have this)

GT might have a huge car list, detailed models and at times look beautiful, but what's the point when the (offline) racing is the worst I have encountered in the genre. I've been playing computer games (with a leaning towards simulations once they started becoming possible) since the Sinclair zx81 came out.

For me to buy GT7 they are going to have to completely refocus on racing. The first thing they need to do is consult some experts and rewrite the AI from scratch. Something revolutionary (and scalable to the players abilities with difficulty levels).

If the actual racing is good I can forgive a hell of a lot of other problems with a game.

@mr_serious We are starting to sound like a broken record here. No need to explain where we come from each time someone doesn't get why we criticize PD ;)

If you can't see what's wrong with the franchise, either it's because it's the only thing you play, or you're just plain blind...

Yeah, enough to give them what id spend at the arcade for a few hours fun, sure, every time. i spend more on dinner just to crap it out the next day. 60 bucks for hundreds of hours of entertainment, Ill buy that.

Back