Do you still support PD?

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 324 comments

Do you still support PD?

• Total voters
I'm pretty neutral about PD now, GT6 was just a little too much of a disappointment to me. GT5 barely met my expectations I've had after GT4, but to call it bad would be going too far, however GT6 just seemed way too much like GT5 2.0, which was just a low blow for me. Not to mention that especially Forza has stepped up their game, and even on the PC side of things (which I gravite to more nowadays) games like Project CARS and Assetto Corsa have just really raised the bar for me, and I fear that PD is not going to be able to satisfy my expectations.

I'm probably still going to check out reviews and videos of GT7, since GT has been the game I've grown up with, however the possibility that I'm going to grab this game (if it even comes out in the same form as we know GT) at launch or close after launch are pretty slim, since I don't own a PS4 and am more of a PC gamer now.

GT6 is still fun (well it was last time I played Aug 2014) but my faith has dropped from definite pre order (GT5) to I had a gift card and store credit so I pre-ordered (GT6) to I am not even sure if we will have GT7 on ps4 before Q4 2016 (yes almost 2 years away) and there is no chance I will pre order. I am just waiting on Pcars honestly.

EDIT - Oh and it will be very unlikely that I buy GT7 if they do not implement B-Spec mode and the course maker into GT6 as it is still to this day listed on their official product site that "These features will be implemented in future updates"

Last edited:
The way things are with GT6 I am losing faith. I do not know what the proposed life span of GT6 is but I will not be getting GT7 as it is at the moment. Reading posts where people are talking about GT7 6 to 8 months after GT6 came out is disheartening. I want a GT6 game before GT7.
I dearly want GT6 to improve with updates etc but until I get the game I paid for my driving days will end here.

Yes, but once GT7 will get a little more information, I guarantee you GTP will transform. The evil hypetrain will be unstoppable.. It's always their silence that is killing our forums.

It's potentially going to be dangerous this time, though. If they start releasing GT7 information before they finish adding the GT6 features, you'll likely have a very vocal minority jumping onto every announcement with "Don't listen to PD's lies! Look at all the things they promised for GT6 and see how that turned out! You think this is going to be any different?!"

And unfortunately, they'd sort of be right.

PD desperately needs to finish GT6 before they start making any concrete statements about GT7, or it'll just turn into a fanboy war.

I love GT (just got it out to do some hot laps right now and remembered how much I like this game) but ... when I look back on my purchase of GT6 the only justification I can give myself is Bathurst/Brands Hatch/Silverstone. That justification will not get me to buy GT7. I know this has been said umpteen-million times but the only reason i will not buy GT7 is if it has the same sound samples as GT1-GT6. Please play Raceroom and listen to those sounds ... they are Heaven to a racing/driving game.

Last edited:
Yes, but once GT7 will get a little more information, I guarantee you GTP will transform. The evil hypetrain will be unstoppable.. It's always their silence that is killing our forums.

Actually, if you look at the poll results, it's the vocal minority that is "killing our forums".

Then again, perhaps not supporting PD is different to making a fan forum unpleasant for PD fans?

Actually, if you look at the poll results, it's the vocal minority that is "killing our forums".

Then again, perhaps not supporting PD is different to making a fan forum unpleasant for PD fans?

No, it's the childishness, ignorance, arrogance, blaming, generalisations, belittling, small mindedness, disrespect and petty insults that are "killing the forums".

And it comes from both sides of the divided fanbase.

No, it's the childishness, ignorance, arrogance, blaming, generalisations, belittling, small mindedness, disrespect and petty insults that are "killing the forums".

And it comes from both sides of the divided fanbase.

Looks like you are responding to the first statement, not the question that followed?

I stopped playing GT5 in 2011. So, no I'm not supporting PD anymore and I'm probably never going to support PD anymore. But never say never.

This is my very first post in the Gran Turismo part of GTP in years (I think). :D

I do support PD although I think they made a mistake with GT6.

They had the opportunity to put everything into a brand new launch title for the PS4 and instead pushed out a barely working updated GT5 on the PS3. You really can tell how limited they were with that system, and even though things like the premium car models still look better than that of its competitors even today, the game seems to fall short elsewhere.

I know there are a lot of us who are curious as to what PD are going are going to do with GT7, what they need to do is repeat a GT4, that game was awesome. It was consistent, engaging and was a hell of a lot more fun with a greater sense of speed and excitement. Not to mention all those classic old fictional tracks it had that are missing from GT6. Lets also talk about difficulty, one of the greatest memories I have of my early Gran Turismo 4 days was going ape throwing my controller at the wall over those driving missions. The mission 34 Mercedes one comes to mind. GT6 was drastically dumbed down in every department, we need a sense of challenge, the satisfaction in finally completing that hard license test or mission just isn't there in GT6.

12863_9.jpg

The Amalfi Coast - GT4 - A classic track, among many that need to make a return.

Standard cars are a difficult one. Yes, they are historically significant to this title, and yes, it does provide for the most part an accurate simulation of what those cars are like to drive due to everything being calculated by horsepower, weight, torque and the like. However, more often than not they aren't pleasant to look at. And whilst PD have taken steps to try and fix this with increased quality standard models, the problem with inconsistency shines through. They really need to address this with GT7 as its one of the most criticised aspects of GT6. The sound situation is looking positive, if we go by recent additions such as the Mazda LM55 which sound absolutely incredible, its clear that PD is addressing another very sharp and prominent criticism. It also indicates they do listen to their fans, even if their past communication methods were the equivalent of their whole offices being ten million miles away in space. I have high hopes that their upcoming Premium models will sound fantastic.

One thing Gran Turismo needs is more excitement, it is certainly dull at times and could use a complete renovation in engaging the player. With many tracks being from the earlier days, dark static lighting and non-atmospheric environments are all too present. The cabin should rock, you should be able to look around your car, crowds should cheer, dust and rocks should hit the windshield, and lets not forget a greater sense of speed etc. Its a very formulaic experience at the minute and whilst it does feel like a simulation with its incredible physics, it lacks the sense of fun you get behind the wheel in other games.

In terms of content, its pretty satisfactory. PD sure know how to ship a bulky game, there's so much to do and they haven't decided to make half the game paid DLC like certain other developers. With every GT PD comes up with some new and quirky ideas for the player to experience whilst adding this string of new content permanently into the game series even after said events are completed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PolyPhony Digital is one of the most significant names in the business. They essentially started what was expected to have no market whatsoever, and succeeded in transforming the driving simulator genre into one of potential and importance, influencing many other games over the years and establishing this kind of concept for everyone.

Kazunori and the team at Polyphony Digital are very passionate about what they do, you can tell. When you can have things like companies such as Aston Martin and Lamborghini investing money into designing concept cars for the game you can really tell how important their legacy is and how much they want to deliver the ultimate driving experience for the consumer.

This series created and dominated the genre for years, we cannot let a few mistakes make us lose trust in this game series. The PS4 is a new generation and I'm faithful that PD will revolutionise the series once more. Whilst this forum is largely about other games nowadays, we should all have high hopes for Gran Turismo's appearance in this new generation of gaming. Its yet to happen, and when it does, we'll be ready.

You really can tell how limited they were with that system, and even though things like the premium car models still look better than that of its competitors even today, the game seems to fall short elsewhere.

Nothing about GT6's premium models are better than its competitors today. I do wonder which competitors you're talking about because it certainly isn't the Forza series which is GT's direct competitor.

Nothing about GT6's premium models are better than its competitors today. I do wonder which competitors you're talking about because it certainly isn't the Forza series which is GT's direct competitor.
I think the models themself are the most detailed. It is the ps3's fault for not beeing able to load enough textures for them in order to "look" good enough (like next gen racing games).

I think the models themself are the most detailed. It is the ps3's fault for not beeing able to load enough textures for them in order to "look" good enough (like next gen racing games).

Whether its the PS3's fault or not is irrelevant, the bottom line is that they don't look as good as Forza 5 which is its direct competitor. I understand the hardware is a major factor but I didn't make the statement that the models in GT6 are good or better than its competitors even today, I just replied to that statement.

Eh don't really support them much now, holding out on GT7 to be good but not really that hopeful :lol:

My support probably shifted once I got into the Forza franchise, the game has upgrades that probably a lot of us have been wanting for a long time now in the GT series but yet have never been implemented.

GT had a big lead in that regard on the PS3, on the PS4/XBone/PC everyone is making great looking cars. The thing is we're awfully close to cars looking super real at this point and it's no longer a secret how to do it, nor is it difficult or relatively expensive. In other words, everyone is doing so PD no longer has an advantage in this regard. This is the new standard that everyone can achieve from here forward.

gtp_14-png.250274

iRacing, never known for car model detail, now has a new laser scanner that fits inside the cockpit and can scan an entire car in 3-4 hours!

No I do not support PD any more. Sold my PS3 and GT6 last year. I enjoyed GT6 more than GT5. I thought 5 was terrible. 6 was enjoyable. I wont even consider another GT game until all 1200+ vehicles are premium.

Not that it matters but I also did not fully support T10 with F5. (It came free with my X1. Otherwise I had no intention of purchasing F5.)

Bottom line, Developers need to quit releasing unfinished games. So the best way to voice an opinion is with your wallet.

Last edited:
Whether its the PS3's fault or not is irrelevant, the bottom line is that they don't look as good as Forza 5 which is its direct competitor. I understand the hardware is a major factor but I didn't make the statement that the models in GT6 are good or better than its competitors even today, I just replied to that statement.

A direct competitor? On a different console from different generations? GT6 looks much better with variable time/weather than forza does with it's pre baked lighting.

A direct competitor? On a different console from different generations? GT6 looks much better with variable time/weather than forza does with it's pre baked lighting.

It's certainly handy he wasn't talking about the lighting, but the models themselves.

Certainly. They were released at the same time and there are no other racing games on the consoles that are this much alike. Forza 5 actually came out before GT6. Its not my fault PD decided to release their product on PS3.

November 22, 2013
Forza Motorsport 5, Initial release date

December 5, 2013
Gran Turismo 6, Initial release date

It's certainly handy he wasn't talking about the lighting, but the models themselves.
Maybe you should go back and read through this thread at my original reply. Its not handy anything, I made a reply to a statement.

Maybe you should go back and read through this thread at my original reply. Its not handy anything, I made a reply to a statement.

Er, I did:

I was simply commenting on jimi's unsurprising change of the subject: that model fidelity was being discussed, not lighting engines.

There are threads which directly compare photos from GT6 and F5. There is really no clear winner. Each looks 'better' under certain circumstances.

Regardless, this thread is regarding support for PD, not Turn10.

There are threads which directly compare photos from GT6 and F5. There is really no clear winner. Each looks 'better' under certain circumstances.

Regardless, this thread is regarding support for PD, not Turn10.
It's completely off topic and not in the spirit of this thread to say, "Yes/no I support GT, and my alternative is [insert game here]" That makes no sense at all obviously. :dunce:

When you can have things like companies such as Aston Martin and Lamborghini investing money into designing concept cars for the game you can really tell how important their legacy is and how much they want to deliver the ultimate driving experience for the consumer.

You know that it's working as advertising when people say stuff like this.

Don't get me wrong, VGT is a cool idea. But it's a marketing exercise for the manufacturers. It hasn't really kept up it's momentum, but look at the fuss that the media made out of the Merc VGT. They got well more than their money's worth of advertising out of that.

The manufacturers don't do it because they have such respect for GT, or because they want to deliver the ultimate driving experience. They do it because they think it'll help them sell cars. Which is fine, that's what the manufacturers are there for.

Back