DTM Driving Experience

• Thread starter Crusha148
  • 22 comments
Picked up DTM (season pass 2013/2014 seasons) last week, having a blast. Most of the sounds of Raceroom were so good I had to get some more but in a more complete game. Perfect, no, but it is much better than the insidesimracing.tv review let on to believe. Having some inconsistent AI competition but that could be from only the short time I have had it as the AI is suppose to be adaptive. I was grabbing the pole at a couple tracks but others I was starting from the back without gaining much, if at all, on the leaders. I have to start tuning to be more competitive. A good wheel, triple screen, and the sounds, I sound like a broken record, just pull me in - the closest experience to IRL immersion wise!
The price is fairly high for what you get content wise but well worth it to me, especially seeing the full pCARS and AC are still a ways off.

Picked up DTM (season pass 2013/2014 seasons) last week, having a blast. Most of the sounds of Raceroom were so good I had to get some more but in a more complete game. Perfect, no, but it is much better than the insidesimracing.tv review let on to believe. Having some inconsistent AI competition but that could be from only the short time I have had it as the AI is suppose to be adaptive. I was grabbing the pole at a couple tracks but others I was starting from the back without gaining much, if at all, on the leaders. I have to start tuning to be more competitive. A good wheel, triple screen, and the sounds, I sound like a broken record, just pull me in - the closest experience to IRL immersion wise!
The price is fairly high for what you get content wise but well worth it to me, especially seeing the full pCARS and AC are still a ways off.
How would you compare simbin's efforts to the ones of it's competition nowadays? I was really impressed with Race Pro on the 360, even if it is already 5 years old. So i wonder how they compare to the other sims on offer at this moment, as you have quite the collection i heard :cheers:

That's a hard one, what feels good to one may not to the next. Much is based on the expectations or focus of the gamer (sim to arcade,online, offline, street/hyper/race cars, etc.). As an example, some loved netKar Pro, I didn't at all but I am not one that wants to invest hours to get a car setup correctly. Out of the box, touch the brakes/accelerator in that one and go for a loop.
I liked the older Simbin titles, LFS, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Papyrus Nascar/Indy/Cart, and most of the current. I am not a stickler for utmost accuracy, I want something I can pick up and race without the controls or physics interfering with the experience. I need better than average AI, graphics, sounds, career, and leaderboard competitions, may dabble in online competition but because I don't spend a lot of time in any one racing sim I am not always comfortable.
To me, DTM Experience has a better than average sense of speed, graphics, AI (so far), presentation, physics (feels convincing) and outstanding sounds (best of any in my opinion). Hard to directly compare to pCARS or AC as each has a different but similar in many "sim" related ways. Each has their strengths and weaknesses but nothing that is a deal breaker.

That's a hard one, what feels good to one may not to the next. Much is based on the expectations or focus of the gamer (sim to arcade,online, offline, street/hyper/race cars, etc.). As an example, some loved netKar Pro, I didn't at all but I am not one that wants to invest hours to get a car setup correctly. Out of the box, touch the brakes/accelerator in that one and go for a loop.
I liked the older Simbin titles, LFS, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Papyrus Nascar/Indy/Cart, and most of the current. I am not a stickler for utmost accuracy, I want something I can pick up and race without the controls or physics interfering with the experience. I need better than average AI, graphics, sounds, career, and leaderboard competitions, may dabble in online competition but because I don't spend a lot of time in any one racing sim I am not always comfortable.
To me, DTM Experience has a better than average sense of speed, graphics, AI (so far), presentation, physics (feels convincing) and outstanding sounds (best of any in my opinion). Hard to directly compare to pCARS or AC as each has a different but similar in many "sim" related ways. Each has their strengths and weaknesses but nothing that is a deal breaker.
In other words; no such thing as "the best", you gotta buy Raceroom and other simbin titles on top of AC and PCARS to be truly satisfied. Ah well i will just have to accept that fact and get all them then :D

I believe that one of the driving forces in some gamers opinions of their game of choice is just that "game of choice", anything else must be beaten down/picked apart to make them feel good about the choice they made. I have never found the perfect be-all-end-all to anything let along a game. I find value in most all of my racing sims, each with their own strength or style. I will own current gen pCARS, AC, rFactor 2, Raceroom/DTM, FM4,5,6,7 etc.. because I like variety. Actually right this moment DTM is giving me the most all around fun but that doesn't mean I think it is or will be the best - there will never be a BEST in my opinion.
Yes, choices right now are great - pick a few and have a blast :cheers:

I bought it through Race Department 2014+ bundle. Other than SimBin not getting back to me on the extra content, I am loving the DTM Experince. I hope this video gives an idea of how fun it can be.

Damn that sound is the best i ever heard in a racing game :eek:
@FuzzyFassbender was right.

Try racing this with headphones... it really pulls you in. Sounds are just as important as physics and graphics to me, I can hotlap/race for hours in this one (if I had hours!).

Last edited:
I bought it through Race Department 2014+ bundle. Other than SimBin not getting back to me on the extra content, I am loving the DTM Experince. I hope this video gives an idea of how fun it can be.

Looks like fun and looks good in the process. ;)

How is that game in online play? Can you have a full-sized DTM Grid in online mode?

Try racing this with headphones... it's really pulls you in. Sounds are just as important as physics and graphics to me, I can hotlap/race for hours in this one (if I had hours!).
Sounds like you want to do at least a full-race DTM Doubleheader. :)

The current 2013 season is offline only but...

Purchasing the DTM Experience Season Pass 2013/ 2014 until 30st April 2014 buyers receive a cost free access to the soon to be released DTM Experience Season 2014 and the Online Multiplayer Modus.

The SEASON PASS contains:
- additional tracks of the season 2014
- all new cars of the season 2014
- Multiplayer Mode

Video giving a lap at Norisring circuit in an event from R3E of DTM Experience, the gameplay is a lap and replay with the Mercedes AMG C-Coupé DTM. The gameplay is in 'Get Real Mode' of difficulty.

To those interested in DTM, this is something I posted over on RaceDepartment (thread: How well does DTM Experience perform on your system?)

Ok, took a little time today to evaluate various graphical settings to get the best triple screen performance with my setup. I didn't exhaustively try every setting combination but in general I found what works very well for me.

Hardware: i7-3770 3.4-4.0 GHz, Gigabyte GTX780 factory Core Clock: 1019 MHz (Base) 1071 MHz (Boost) - Memory Clock: 6008 MHz (GV-N780GHZ-3GD), 16 GM RAM, 5812 x 1080

With the default "HIGH" graphics setting option, I was getting 56-78 FPS, GPU 90-98%, 1905 MB GPU memory consumed. Not bad but I wanted to tune for 60 FPS at all times.

I then switched to the "CUSTOM" graphics setting option and tried various adjustments from the HIGH settings before coming up with the below (best bang for resource consumption).

Ultimately, the only thing I needed to change from the default HIGH settings to make a large FPS improvement was "Reflection Type: Simple Cube Map" (instead of Reduced). This provided 80-94 FPS, GPU 90-98%, 1874 MB GPU memory consumed. And to me I couldn't tell the difference - looks great! After finishing with all testing I switched VSYNC on, this smoothed things out quite a bit. With VSYNC the GPU was running at 65-75 capacity - a steady 60 FPS.

All testing done on Red Bull with 11 AI.

I have very happy with the performance of DTM with my single GTX 780 and triple screen.

I am enjoying DTM 2013, but how did you get triple screens working? I have an I 5, Navidia 660 sc. Game runs fine but I would like triple screens up.
To those interested in DTM, this is something I posted over on RaceDepartment (thread: How well does DTM Experience perform on your system?)

Ok, took a little time today to evaluate various graphical settings to get the best triple screen performance with my setup. I didn't exhaustively try every setting combination but in general I found what works very well for me.

Hardware: i7-3770 3.4-4.0 GHz, Gigabyte GTX780 factory Core Clock: 1019 MHz (Base) 1071 MHz (Boost) - Memory Clock: 6008 MHz (GV-N780GHZ-3GD), 16 GM RAM, 5812 x 1080

With the default "HIGH" graphics setting option, I was getting 56-78 FPS, GPU 90-98%, 1905 MB GPU memory consumed. Not bad but I wanted to tune for 60 FPS at all times.

I then switched to the "CUSTOM" graphics setting option and tried various adjustments from the HIGH settings before coming up with the below (best bang for resource consumption).

Ultimately, the only thing I needed to change from the default HIGH settings to make a large FPS improvement was "Reflection Type: Simple Cube Map" (instead of Reduced). This provided 80-94 FPS, GPU 90-98%, 1874 MB GPU memory consumed. And to me I couldn't tell the difference - looks great! After finishing with all testing I switched VSYNC on, this smoothed things out quite a bit. With VSYNC the GPU was running at 65-75 capacity - a steady 60 FPS.

All testing done on Red Bull with 11 AI.

I have very happy with the performance of DTM with my single GTX 780 and triple screen.

I am not real familiar with the GTX660 but I believe that card can support 3-4 displays. To game with triple screens, you would use "Configure Surround" in the NVidia control panel. Any resolution you create there would be available in game. If you are running 1920x1080, 3 in surround would create on large 5760x1080 resolution but you may want to use "bezel compensation" in the control panel to compensate for the frame/bezel of your flat panels. In my case I end up with 5812x1080 for the resolution I use for gaming.

With that said, I am not sure how well a 660 will perform in triple screen as it's not a high performance card but it wouldn't hurt to try. You may have to turn down/off some graphic elements in DTM to get decent FPS.

Some shots from my first playing session on this game. Really fun, the sounds are amazing.
2014-04-18 1554 0001.jpg
2014-04-18 1554 0003.jpg
2014-04-18 1554 0005.jpg
2014-04-18 1554 0007.jpg
2014-04-18 1554 0009.jpg

I have a problem with the sounds in this game ... they sound "too good" while driving from exterior/rear view :sly:, I don't like driving from this perspective but the sounds (especially the the C6R GT2 Corvette in R3E)!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back