Dunlop's Future Race Car... Is an X1...?

• Thread starter Quakebass
  • 18 comments

Quakebass

Premium
United States
Washington
quakebass
I stumbled across this article:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/dunlop-future-race-car-2014-07-31

A very cool design, absolutely genius tech - but does the shape not resemble the RedBull machines in Gran Turismo?

It would lead me to believe that since two separate future/limitless race car designs look so similar, this shape is the optimal design for aerodynamic performance efficiency, and may be in the near future of Motorsport...

I'm not exactly sure how it'd be possible (especially with the electrified track aspect...), but I think I t would be an interesting addition to the game...

I would say it's just a coincidence to be honest. It does look similar, and albeit pretty damn cool. 👍

image.jpg

Found somthing similar today too

Like the InMotion 01 that was posted a while back (That was moved to the appropriate section.), this has NOTHING to do with GT6.

Like the InMotion 01 that was posted a while back (That was moved to the appropriate section.), this has NOTHING to do with GT6.

I wasn't exactly sure of where to put this... The main focus was on the similarities to the aero design of the RedBull prototype, and that's kind of the discussion I was hoping to start... The general GT6 forum seemed appropriate at the time, sorry...

View attachment 196819
Found somthing similar today too

I remember this. It's a mock-up of what F1 cars could look like with a closed cockpit, a few of them were done after Grosjean nearly took off Alonso's head at Spa 2012. Closed cockpits were the main talking point for a couple of months after that, money was spent projecting tyres at prototype canopies and everyone talked about how it had to be introduced to coincide with the 2014 spec change. Then it was never mentioned again :lol:

I would say it's just a coincidence to be honest.
They all look like F1 cars without horribly draggy exposed wheels.

I'm a bit surprised that there's a lack of front ground effect wing though. Maybe it has something to do with the weight balance.

From the video:

"When you add a wing to create downforce, you create drag, it's inefficient"
Not if your L/D goes from 2:1 to 10:1 on a twisting track. This thing is supposed to have active aero anyway, so you could just vary the CL on the wing.

The Caparo T1 predates the Red Bull X series cars by a few years.
If I remember correctly, it was shown on Top Gear around mid or later 2006 as a prototype, then the next year as an actual concept test-car on the show. The car itself was so dangerous that Clarkson had to wear a fire-retardant racing suit and helmet when testing it. Problem was that it needed incredible downforce to corner properly, but he was too scared(justified reasoning) to take fast enough to generate it, so they gave it a poor overall review. I think the only major difference between the Caparo & the X1 is the vacuum system underneath.

...and the engine, tires, gearbox, designer, power figures, and aerodynamics.

I think you forgot some stuff in your argument.

There's nothing to compare. One is fictional, and one exists with real parts and a real motor. I came into this thread to support you on the Caparo pre-dating the X1 and other lookalikes, but I see you've got this taken care of already. 👍

The cars are similar because they aim to achieve similar goals. To reduce drag force you reduce the car's frontal area and the drag coefficient (Cd). To reduce the frontal area, you can make the car smaller and with minimal body parts, wich makes the car resemble a formula car, and to reduce drag you cover the wheels and the cockpit, but molding the body so it gives the best airflow. But while the Red Bull cars are the fastest race cars you could build today, the Dunlop car is more of a future race car with no rules, because of all the tech it has.
On the Red Bull X2010 and X2011 there's a large rear wing to generate downforce but at the expense of a lot of drag. But on the X2014 and Dunlop's car, the cars body (and fan in the case of the Red Bull cars) generates enough downforce on it's own (the X2014 has a more efficient fan than the X2010/11) so they can ditch the big wing (on the X2014 the wing doesn't need to be as big so it generates less drag). If you take the fan out of the X2014 fan car you need to add a wing to generate all the necessary downforce, so that's why the standard and the junior have huge wings and not the fan car. Because the X2014 has improved aerodynamics over the previous models, it can also have a less powerful engine and still perform similarly.

Back