Example of MoTeC data analysis

• Thread starter ALB123
  • 316 comments
United States
Massachusetts
So, I took my BMW M4 out for a rip around Nurburgring Nordschleife tonight. I did a respectable 7:10.xxx lap and I thought it would be a nice chance to test out the MoTeC data analysis feature, so I exported my lap onto a USB stick and opened the file in the free MoTeC software that you can download from the company.

Just to give you an idea of what it looks like...It's very similar to the tools PD built into GT6, in a way. There is a nice summary screen that you'll see, but MoTeC goes much deeper. Unfortunately, I only did one lap, but had I done multiple laps I would have been able to analyse my progress on each and every corner from lap to lap.

Here are a few sample screen shots with the data I exported from GT6.

Motec_3.jpg

Next is a screenshot showing each and every "turn" on the Nordschleife and what my speed & engine RPM was. You can drag these squares around, in case some are overlapping and you can't see. You can also right-click and "edit" the track map if you so desire.

Motec_1.jpg

Below we have a text only "section summary" that should be self-explanatory:

Motec_2.jpg

Finally, I just included a screenshot of the RPM History. You can click on as many of the colored sections (on the right side) if you wish to hide a certain RPM range.

Motec_4.jpg

As you can see, this new feature is pretty fantastic if you're the type of person who really wants to analyze his or her track data. Perhaps you won't want to use every single feature, but I'm sure if you play around with it a bit, you'll find that there is going to be something you'll enjoy having the ability to see.

This looks like a hotlapers wet dream and for sure it is easier to analyze lap on pc than on a PS3/TV. I especially like that 2nd screen that shows Speed and rpms for every turn. Now, with this tool you could actually compare real life laps with GT6 ones , if you could find some irl data. Great finding.

Yeah, I definitely think it would be a lot easier to sit and analyze your laps on a PC - in my case I have my laptop right next to me as I'm playing GT6 - and then go back onto the track and work on where you are losing speed, or where you are braking too late, or whatever. I am so impressed that this is a free capability of Gran Turismo now. MoTeC definitely deserves to have a lot of signs posted around Gran Turismo tracks for forging this partnership! :D Honestly, I really expect some people to have a field day with this tool. I can't wait to hear how people are using it to better their performance in the near future...

Now, with this tool you could actually compare real life laps with GT6 ones

I did some testing yesterday. M4 with Comfort soft tires on Route X. Acceleration values are matching real world values. I've done only one acceleration to 200 km/h and some in-gear-accelerations. From a standstill I've lost some tenth, maybe due to not perfect driving. But when traction is not an issue anymore it matches nicely. But braking is far away from real-world-values. 100-0 km/h in RL 34m, in GT6 27m. 200-0 km/h in RL: 143m, in GT6 110m. I've got to test some less sticky tires and look how they compete with RL-values in laptimes and acceleration.

I did some testing yesterday. M4 with Comfort soft tires on Route X. Acceleration values are matching real world values. I've done only one acceleration to 200 km/h and some in-gear-accelerations. From a standstill I've lost some tenth, maybe due to not perfect driving. But when traction is not an issue anymore it matches nicely. But braking is far away from real-world-values. 100-0 km/h in RL 34m, in GT6 27m. 200-0 km/h in RL: 143m, in GT6 110m. I've got to test some less sticky tires and look how they compete with RL-values in laptimes and acceleration.
Perhaps the braking is better because the car in the game doesn't have the extra weight of a person in the car? A lot of GT6 players like to add ballast to the car to simulate the additional weight of a driver. Try adding 85kg at position 0 and see how that affects braking distance. That should approximate a 187 lb person driving.

Would you mind testing acceleration above 200 km/h, that is, not stopping at 200 and continuing up to 300km/h. And then compare 200-300 against RL. Thanks :)

Just a question about the data aquisition system: can we une it on race replay or just on a time trial?

Just a question about the data aquisition system: can we une it on race replay or just on a time trial?

Base on All replay input data but only these value are logged.

Attachments

• i2 pro2.jpg
    i2 pro2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,086
Without Suspension data is useless for me.... (Looking Simbin PC GTR and GTR2 which over 10 years)
Agreed. Unless there's more to it, it looks like some colourful graphs to please the masses, but for anyone really into tuning and wanting to make their car faster, the vital suspension data is missing and the data really only becomes useful on a trial and error basis which is basically what we already have now, sans the colourful graphs.

This is really great. Maybe the best feature added so far to GT6.
Is there any way to automate the retrieval/calculation of acceleration and braking time and distance with Motec i2 Standard?

By the way, I tried a short braking test on SSRX with an Alfa MiTo with CS tires, and the 100-0 Km/h braking distance seems more or less correct to me (~36m).
I think it's important to have the realistic grip loss option enabled under track settings.

Agreed. Unless there's more to it, it looks like some colourful graphs to please the masses, but for anyone really into tuning and wanting to make their car faster, the vital suspension data is missing and the data really only becomes useful on a trial and error basis which is basically what we already have now, sans the colourful graphs.

Yeah, suspension data and detailed tire temperature data would surely be useful, for example.
PD could add everything they couldn't in the game user interface there, without fear that it would get too complex for casual users.

Last edited:
Quite true, but honestly any tuner can tell what the suspensions are doing; it just takes more time to bring the car on the road more often...

Still it would be way better with suspensions data like RH, travel, bump and rebound force etc etc

Quite true, but honestly any tuner can tell what the suspensions are doing; it just takes more time to bring the car on the road more often...

Still it would be way better with suspensions data like RH, travel, bump and rebound force etc etc
Luckily we can just turn to the KW 7 post rig for the data we want...oh wait..:dopey:

Is suspension data really necessary with the state of the general GT6 tuning methodology in use by tuners here ? :lol: Just use the usual trick used by well known tuners, zero camber, ride height exploit ( ass up or ass down to the extreme ), extreme damper and spring values to get the desired effect ( the usual min/max or flipped front/rear with 1 or 2 click higher or lower ) and near open diff LSD value - oh ballast to the make RR/MR/FF/AWD/FR closer to 50/50 car - killing it's unique handling balance, and when it's easier to drive and quickest in lap times, then claim to be the best tuner :lol: PD needs to have the tire model upgraded if wanted this to cease .... :sly:

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this. I can stop trying took get the data out of the replays myself now :dopey:

I can't test it right now, any word on the temporal resolution? If it's high enough, I'll be using it to drive my synthesisers...

Perhaps not ideal for suspension tuning, but at least it hugely increases your ability to quantify those trials and errors. And it's leaps and bounds ahead of the in game logger in other key areas.

For me this is one of the best additions not only to GT6, but to the series.. guess I must just be one of those people that's just pleased by colourful graphs :rolleyes:. The Eclectic data alone saves me around 30 worksheets..

Is suspension data really necessary with the state of the general GT6 tuning methodology in use by tuners here ? :lol: Just use the usual trick used by well known tuners, zero camber, ride height exploit ( ass up or ass down to the extreme ), extreme damper and spring values to get the desired effect ( the usual min/max or flipped front/rear with 1 or 2 click higher or lower ) and near open diff LSD value - oh ballast to the make RR/MR/FF/AWD/FR closer to 50/50 car - killing it's unique handling balance, and when it's easier to drive and quickest in lap times, then claim to be the best tuner :lol: PD needs to have the tire model upgraded if wanted this to cease .... :sly:
I didn't want to mention that part and be a killjoy by bringing up the arcade tuning in GT6...but yeah:lol:

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this. I can stop trying took get the data out of the replays myself now :dopey:

I can't test it right now, any word on the temporal resolution? If it's high enough, I'll be using it to drive my synthesisers...
The data are logged at 60 Hz, as far as I could see.
However it looks like the program interpolates all data points.

(see updated message)
You can export interpolated data up to 1000 Hz, by the way.

CSV output Auto sample rate
"Format","MoTeC CSV File",,,"Workbook",""
"Venue","Autumn Ring - Mini",,,"Worksheet",""
"Vehicle","MiTo 1.4 T Sport '09",,,"Vehicle Desc",""
"Driver","T. Pylott",,,"Engine ID",""
"Device","ADL"
"Comment","",,,"Session",""
"Log Date","2014-11-20",,,"Origin Time","0.000","s"
"Log Time","16:00:40",,,"Start Time","0.000","s"
"Sample Rate","60.000","Hz",,"End Time","329.967","s"
"Duration","329.967","s",,"Start Distance","0","m"
"Range","entire outing",,,"End Distance","0","m"
"Beacon Markers","17.868 26.944 31.337 69.351 120.501 171.251 221.251 246.680 271.001 320.467 "

CSV output 1000 Hz sample rate
"Format","MoTeC CSV File",,,"Workbook",""
"Venue","Autumn Ring - Mini",,,"Worksheet",""
"Vehicle","MiTo 1.4 T Sport '09",,,"Vehicle Desc",""
"Driver","T. Pylott",,,"Engine ID",""
"Device","ADL"
"Comment","",,,"Session",""
"Log Date","2014-11-20",,,"Origin Time","0.000","s"
"Log Time","16:00:40",,,"Start Time","0.000","s"
"Sample Rate","1000.000","Hz",,"End Time","329.967","s"
"Duration","329.967","s",,"Start Distance","0","m"
"Range","entire outing",,,"End Distance","0","m"
"Beacon Markers","17.868 26.944 31.337 69.351 120.501 171.251 221.251 246.680 271.001 320.467 "

You know, everyone is sighting the lack of suspension data... whatever happened to the KW 7 post rig we were supposed to get?

Back