F1 and the future of GT

United States
United States
Dear Forums,

Let's get something out, first. I am a huge F1 fan. There, it's out there. Feels nice.

Now, if I remember correctly, Kaz had mentioned in the past (during GT5's development) that he wanted to implement more "Formula Juan" into the GT series. Now that GT6 is out, I can't find F1 useful in this game. The only F1 car we have in there is horrible and except for some goodies, like the generic Monte Carlo, the Nurburgring GP course, Spa-F, there aren't many F1 tracks. I'm just curious to know your guy's opinion on the future of GT and F1. Licensing is a huge issue, of course, and probably the biggest obstacle in the way, but pretend as if this is a perfect world and share what you come up with. Active DRS and KERS, anyone? Heck, we already have NOS....even though it's useless.

Also, any word on the Senna features? Is that part of PD's list of things pushed onto the back burner?

Monte Carlo, the Nurburgring GP course, Spa-F, there aren't many F1 tracks.

Monaco, Nürburgring, Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Silverstone, Nordschleife, Bathurst, Brands Hatch, Indianapolis. Edit: Fuji
All of them are or have been F1 tracks. All of them other than Nordschleife and Brands Hatch even current or relatively recent ones.

who knows, maybe we'll see Interlagos coming with the senna update

Last edited:
Licencing as you said would be the biggest issue. If Sony did reacquire the F1 rights, and had PD develop it, it would be like the Ubisoft F1 games from years back where they were 2 years behind as PD is not renowned for speedy development.

If it did happen then PD would have to implement all relevant aspects of F1. You could not launch a half-hearted effort. Also, PD is a relatively small studio so may need to put GT on the back burner or increase staff numbers.

New damage and AI models would certainly be required!

Monaco, Nürburgring, Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Silverstone, Nordschleife, Bathurst, Brands Hatch, Indianapolis.
All of them are or have been F1 tracks.

Haha, I knew there were more in there, but I can't remember GT's track list :P

Monaco, Nürburgring, Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Silverstone, Nordschleife, Bathurst, Brands Hatch, Indianapolis.

When?

Licencing as you said would be the biggest issue. If Sony did reacquire the F1 rights, and had PD develop it, it would be like the Ubisoft F1 games from years back where they were 2 years behind as PD is not renowned for speedy development.

If it did happen then PD would have to implement all relevant aspects of F1. You could not launch a half-hearted effort. Also, PD is a relatively small studio so may need to put GT on the back burner or increase staff numbers.

New damage and AI models would certainly be required!

Aye, very good points.
I bring this up because Kaz had mentioned more F1 in the future of GT (If someone knows what interview he mentioned this in, please share!) so I'm curious to know where that is going. Also, if I'm not mistaking, there will be some Senna content...unless the racing suit is all there is to it. Senna is my favorite athlete, always has been, so I would love to have more content from his era of racing, or perhaps the Imola track.

whoops.
i was not sure about bathurst and quickly googled it and saw formel 1 and bathurst mentioned in the same sentence.
Rereading it now and it only says that 1967s Formula 1 champion Denis Hulme died on the conrod straight because of an heart attack.:crazy:

so, bathurst never was a f1 track. but all others should be right.

but to be sure: the track was driven in a 2008 mclaren F1 by jenson button in 2011 (who naturally smashed the lap record in the process):
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/f1-car-smashes-bathurst-record-20110322-1c4tm.html

Last edited:
I have always thought that a PD produced F1 game compatible with GT would be the best bet.
Own GT= Normal Gran Turismo experience
Own F1 20XX= Normal F1 experience
Own Both= F1 mode appears in GT featuring the FULL F1 20XX game inside Gran Turismo. F1 cars are added to your GT Garage and can be raced on any track (apart from dirt/snow) and (as Sony would hold the licence) can be raced against other cars online. Real drivers outfits are added to the game and they can appear as AI in super licence races.

I would love to see some F1 cars in GT6 but I don't see it happening; maybe we'll get an old Senna car or a PD replica of one at best. Licensing is the majoy hurdle.

I have F1 2013 on PC and I'm pretty happy with that, it get's most things right (and the modding community makes it even better). To be honest, one of my biggest gripes with that game is the souless commentary from my crew chief. If I voluntarily start from last and finish in first in full simulation mode and Legendary AI, their response is usually a depressed, semi-sarcastic "Well done, yeah that's brilliant".

A dedicated section in GT6 for F1 just wouldn't be worth it at all either. Like already mentioned, there are just too many things missing in GT6 and others that are not implented in the right way at all.

* AI would be laughable
* Mechanical damage model would need implementing (engine wear, overheating, puntures etc)
* Sound
* Crowd and environment
* Most of the current F1 tracks we have are in major need of updating and adjustments
* Safety car feature
* Qualifying
* Rules, such as handing back positions, parc ferme
* KERS and DRS
* Handling (the FGT feels off compared to the handling in F1 2013 to me)
* 16 cars is not a full F1 grid
* No radio communication with your pitcrew
* No information about the race or your car given to you while you're on track
* Adjustment of fuel mixture etc
* Pitcrew should not take longer than 3-4 seconds to change your tires, GT's pitstops are ridiculously slow
* Slipstream would need an overhaul

I could go on forever, PD would have a long way to go and I don't think the current GT6 engine would do F1 any justice, especially in something that regards itself as a simulator.
If anything, I'd rather they threw in the bikes from Tourist Trophy and let us have a little career mode there, as well as bike vs car races and track days. We already saw both bikes and cars together in old GT5 demo builds, I'm still waiting for that.

Dear Forums,

Let's get something out, first. I am a huge F1 fan. There, it's out there. Feels nice.

Now, if I remember correctly, Kaz had mentioned in the past (during GT5's development) that he wanted to implement more "Formula Juan" into the GT series. Now that GT6 is out, I can't find F1 useful in this game. The only F1 car we have in there is horrible and except for some goodies, like the generic Monte Carlo, the Nurburgring GP course, Spa-F, there aren't many F1 tracks. I'm just curious to know your guy's opinion on the future of GT and F1. Licensing is a huge issue, of course, and probably the biggest obstacle in the way, but pretend as if this is a perfect world and share what you come up with. Active DRS and KERS, anyone? Heck, we already have NOS....even though it's useless.

Also, any word on the Senna features? Is that part of PD's list of things pushed onto the back burner?

PD can not even get GT right let alone add F1.

Don't care there's an F1 game just play that.

Know what's hilarious people have said that with GT5 guess what happened? and yeah there is a reason GT6 sales are suffering btw, and it's people like you on this forum telling everyone that disagrees GTFO.

I hope the Senna DLC we're gonna get will have cars that have an amazing sound like the X1 cars or else we have to tell Kaz he's disrespecting Senna!

Don't care there's an F1 game just play that.

Why, should we play that when it hasn't been that good compared to GT (though subjective), why should people have to buy multiple racing games just to enjoy a certain car. Having it all under one umbrella as PD have tried for years now seems best, why putting up this deflection to ignore the issue tells more about the lack of depth some fans have.

I would not mind seeing a few F1 cars added in, more cars are always a good thing though I would be just as happy with other cars. I enjoy driving the F1 cars from time to time but I always prefer to drive production cars over the super fast super grippy race cars.

With a lot of the scrutiny and such that has given Gran Turismo Formula 1 racing, it's tough for GT to feature F1. GT6 certainly has the best effort considering the whole deal regarding the late, great Aryton Senna.

I've always been a GT/Sportscar/Endurance racing fan more than an F1 fan. I have even been more into Indy/CART/Champ Car than F1. Does that mean I hate F1? I never said I hated F1- I just haven't been too much an F1 fan. In the interest of showcasing a variety of races and racing machines, I don't think F1 and F1-style competition will die out in the Gran Turismo series. If anything, Polyphony Digital should try to make a Premium-quality version of the F1 cars we've been racing since GT4. Maybe even bring back the F1 cars from GT3 and make them into Premium-quality models. The future of Formula 1 in Gran Turismo games mostly depends on how much PD wants to implement and utilize F1-style material in the series. The longest of long shots is PD doing anything close to simulating an exact season of Formula 1 from championships to racing weekends. Here-and-there efforts have been executed, but if you're expecting anything close to a proper F1 game in the Gran Turismo realm, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

And really, I'd prefer PD make its own sort of F1-style championship and play everything in GT's own way. That's even if Special Stage Route 5 gets a makeover to be like the Singapore Grand Prix as far as having very bright lights illuminating the entire course like the Singapore Grand Prix course is implemented.

Why, should we play that when it hasn't been that good compared to GT (though subjective), why should people have to buy multiple racing games just to enjoy a certain car. Having it all under one umbrella as PD have tried for years now seems best, why putting up this deflection to ignore the issue tells more about the lack of depth some fans have.
To me it just seems like a waste of time for PD to put F1 in the game. I understand that some people just want to drive F1 cars at the F1 tracks in GT6, but knowing PD they probably will only have a few of the cars and it just won't be right. I mean take NASCAR for an example. That's a very fun thing to do but can only hold peoples attention for so long and then again those are only the hardcore NASCAR fans who would probably just play the game that is dedicated to that sort of racing to fulfill their NASCAR needs. My point is I just don't think its worth having F1 in the game, their already is a dedicated game with proper career mode for this, and GT has always been about diversity in cars so instead of making the F1 cars they could be working on more important things.

And really, I'd prefer PD make its own sort of F1-style championship and play everything in GT's own way. That's even if Special Stage Route 5 gets a makeover to be like the Singapore Grand Prix as far as having very bright lights illuminating the entire course like the Singapore Grand Prix course is implemented.

Something like that is what I'm looking for. I don't want a full F1 Season, but rather, some more races dedicated towards one of the biggest influences of motorsport.

Are you for real lol codemasters F1 is more of a racing game than GT has ever been, adding F1 to the GT series would turn PD into a laughing stock.

Know what's hilarious people have said that with GT5 guess what happened? and yeah there is a reason GT6 sales are suffering btw, and it's people like you on this forum telling everyone that disagrees GTFO.
The reason sales are suffering and people are moving on is because the GT series are poor compared to other racing/driving games gees when are some of you people going to face up to that ? Blaming a forum member for bad GT sales is ridiculous , its the game its self thats losing its own sales.

Are you for real lol codemasters F1 is more of a racing game than GT has ever been, adding F1 to the GT series would turn PD into a laughing stock.

No I'm not kidding you it has had many issues since the first and compared to other F1 games of the past like Champions it isn't even close in realism of racing much less the version is emulates. GT has been a racing game plenty in its peak, just because you don't have much faith in the current state doesn't cast a light completely over its history. Also it may have gone over your head, I did say it was a subjective so...context is your friend.
To me it just seems like a waste of time for PD to put F1 in the game. I understand that some people just want to drive F1 cars at the F1 tracks in GT6, but knowing PD they probably will only have a few of the cars and it just won't be right. I mean take NASCAR for an example. That's a very fun thing to do but can only hold peoples attention for so long and then again those are only the hardcore NASCAR fans who would probably just play the game that is dedicated to that sort of racing to fulfill their NASCAR needs. My point is I just don't think its worth having F1 in the game, their already is a dedicated game with proper career mode for this, and GT has always been about diversity in cars so instead of making the F1 cars they could be working on more important things.

Okay well if that's the case I can understand where you have the right to tell someone to specifically go play a solely F1 game. None of it will ever be right because the rights holders are very restrictive of how things are done, should that be a fault of us and PD for wanting or believe one racing game should have all types or almost all types of popular version under one roof? I'd say no, but realistically everyone wants to be given a feast (tons of money) and that's why you'll never see every single F1 car.

There have been plenty of these threads on the matter in the past year to now alone, and I and others that are F1 fanatics have given insight to why it works the way it does.

What is more important than F1 cars or better yet new cars (which they would be) in general? You play both sides of the field by appreciating and wanting diversity but then going backwards and saying that F1 diversity doesn't belong, though it's what GT is about. Then you further muddle things by saying that singular racing series don't hold the attention of people too long, but that's too bad because they should stay away from GT still.

The issue is people commenting on this are highly biased in thought and can't accept certain cars being here, though they pertain to racing and driving and showing different disciplines. I'd say the falsely bloated 1200 + list is a waste of time compared to adding F1 or Nascar or WRC/GT4&3&GTE/WTCC and so on.
I still don't see any true reasoning to why these things don't belong in the game, especially when you don't need a dedicated game for it to work.

Last edited:
On my opinion CM makes a good game but poorly executes all of their decisions. In F1 2012 I couldn't play with people other than those in my country for over three months. Finally they made a bug fix but sadly my friends moved on without notice...

Anyways, tracks I feel are accurately depicted, but poorly saturated. Cars are accurately modeled, but look too plastic (a bit ironic). To me it feels like Forza, except the driving, which is amazing, but since there is a new one every year it makes me a bit mad that they can't just update the game for $15 every year...

The whole point of the F1 series is that they try to get it as accurate as possible from the televised version to the game. That's is something I've wanted so long is to see them as close to reality, but enough to make me still realize it's only a game (but it feels like a simulator I guess).

When I play GT, I know what Im getting into, just like F1. But it's just not up to par with a simulator...

Don't forget Fuji was also an F1 track as it was the original venue for the Japanese Grand Prix both in 1976 and 1977 before Suzuka replaced it for the next 30 years, then it temporarily came back for 2007 and 2008.

Back