Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
I know...I Mentionsed and linked it but somebody asked so I told. People can't be on here all day to read every post ;)

It seems that you are a fast driver and drive a lot. And obviously nobody could claim that you are a Fanatec fanboy.

This part is interesting. Any chance Thomas of getting a CSR nevermind the CSR Elite to test against my current Logitech G27. I want to try out a wheel on the 360 but don't want to really get the official Xbox 360 wheel used or buy a CSR for full price.

Checklist:

Reasonably fast driver: http://i55.tinypic.com/21n093r.jpg
http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt5/event/d41024.html
Check.

Not a Fanatec fanboy. Check.

I think there's a bunch of people who fit the description.... Hence the community polls :)
I know but it is always worth a shot ;). I am not requesting for a CSW or CSR Elite so maybe there is a small chance. Otherwise I probably end up buying a used overpriced Xbox 360 steering wheel just to try out the XID FFB and see how competitive the times are in Forza.

GT Academy EU is starting soon and I will use my G27 to try and get a top 20 time in UK and use the DFGT to practice if I progress further. It will be a good event to evaluate if the CSR can help reduce with more ease the vital last few tenths over say the G27.

I don't think you need to be fast to qualify as a community tester. A tester IMO at least should have experience with a wide variety of sim racing products and play several different games/sims so it can be tested in different environments. The more experience a tester has with other products, the more they will be able to feel that something isn't quite right. They'll also be able to feel what has been done very well.

I don't think you need to be fast to qualify as a community tester. A tester IMO at least should have experience with a wide variety of sim racing products and play several different games/sims so it can be tested in different environments. The more experience a tester has with other products, the more they will be able to feel that something isn't quite right. They'll also be able to feel what has been done very well.
There are already reviews by such testers of the current products out. There is not really any reviews by people who have driven wheels on say a same combination of car and track and said what the difference is when driving close to the limit. By doing this you can tell the subtle differences behind each wheel which make the difference.

For example I know that on GT5 with ABS on 1, there is very little / no difference between say a DFGT vs. say a CSR Elite with Clubsport pedals in terms of setting the fastest lap time possible with the given equipment. However which one makes it easier to achieve a fast time could be explained if you have experience driving both on the limit. If I was to compare the DFGT to the G27 in terms of performance driving, I can appreciate the slightly faster wheel speed of my G27 but also appreciate the faster shifting buttons on the DFGT due to less travel. The ability to do precise brake and throttle inputs with the G27 pedals is a bit easier than my old DFGT and that makes it easier to set a fast lap time.

So because, for example, you run a 1:16.24 lap at Track X and I run a 1:17.1, that somehow makes you more qualified to test than me?

We will each be able to feel the differences in the wheel, regardless of lap time. We are both pushing to our own personal limit.

Just read over Thomas' Blog post, it doesn't say anything in there about having to set certain lap times in certain games in order to qualify. If it really mattered, he would have made it a requirement, therefore, it does not matter.

So because, for example, you run a 1:16.24 lap at Track X and I run a 1:17.1, that somehow makes you more qualified to test than me?

We will each be able to feel the differences in the wheel, regardless of lap time. We are both pushing to our own personal limit.

Just read over Thomas' Blog post, it doesn't say anything in there about having to set certain lap times in certain games in order to qualify. If it really mattered, he would have made it a requirement, therefore, it does not matter.
My initial post is more in response of this: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/7279008-post75.html

Just trying my luck to see if I could test out a CSR wheel.

It works both ways, is someone more qualified than me due to using more wheels? The speed thing is not fully the point. It is more to do with say setting a time of say 1:17.1 but doing a time + or - two tenths with all the wheels and pedals you are using for comparison. There are reviews out there with people who improve by over second from going from one wheel and another on GT5 and that is due to personal limit getting in the way rather than hardware limit. You can be slower or faster than me, that fully doesn't matter as long as you are consistent with all other wheels you have tried out.

However I do think it helps being able to drive very close to the limit as you can be more objectionable on what part the wheel is helping or making a struggle for you in certain situations as you know exactly what should and should not be happening in certain situations and you will know when you are touching the limit. In F1 for example Trulli was having problems with the power steering feel. He knew how it should feel in certain situations. He could still drive reasonably fast with the problems but it still is a problem as you always want the feedback to be detailed in a very logical and communicative way. Shame he won't be able to use the improved power steering this season.

Qualify for the CSW? I'm just asking about CSR testing opportunities.

I know but it is always worth a shot ;). I am not requesting for a CSW or CSR Elite so maybe there is a small chance. Otherwise I probably end up buying a used overpriced Xbox 360 steering wheel just to try out the XID FFB and see how competitive the times are in Forza.

GT Academy EU is starting soon and I will use my G27 to try and get a top 20 time in UK and use the DFGT to practice if I progress further. It will be a good event to evaluate if the CSR can help reduce with more ease the vital last few tenths over say the G27.

I was top ~100 GT Academy US East Coast. That being said, I do not think driving in GT or really any game, makes you more qualified. Real life racing experience, sure, but at the end of the day racing sims still have a long way to go. Just because you can manipulate the game does not equally translate into "driving ability". Not knocking against you in particular, just making a general statement. Some people post amazing times with a controller, does this make them qualified or "good drivers"? :scared:

The only reason my G25 held (still does it today) me back in any was because the brake would send inputs to the game randomly and some times as much as 10% braking force when my foot was off the pedal. This put me back at least .5 seconds. Might as well have been missing a cylinder.

Truth is the GT Academy is a time trial. Posting a killer lap time is great, but consistency is what wins races. I think a good test would be to run 2 separate marathon play sessions under controlled conditions. 2 hours straight with one wheel and 2 hours another day with the competitive wheel. Same car and track for both tests. Then see which wheel produced the most consistent lap times and the fastest.

Some update on the CSR Elite :

The new batch is now in stock now at Fanantec's european wharehouse.

I just got an email from Fanatec that my CSR Elite is being shipped.

tumblr_lh74600nGs1qhwycho1_400.jpg

Its up on the US store as well. "Pre-Order only! Next shipment arrives mid of March 2012."

Also since when were the CSPs taken off the store?

Last edited:
paskowitz
Its up on the US store as well. "Pre-Order only! Next shipment arrives mid of March 2012."

Also since when were the CSPs taken off the store?

CSPs have been gone for over a month now from the US store but are still available from the Europe store. I'd imagine the old version is sold out in NA and the CSP V2 will outright replace it in both stores once the V1s are gone from the EU store

Has anybody heard any news about the release date of CSP V2's? Or what the price might be? I thought all the pics and news I saw about them was just a hoax, but looks like there will be V2's coming out in the near future. I have CSP's now and love them so I'm sure the V2's will be a step ahead. I'm really waiting for the CSW wheel so that would be nice if they were both released at the same time. Well not too nice for my wallet lol.

Is it the new improved version? (there was some talk previously about fixing bugs etc.)

Please don't take this one too serious but I just found two funny things in the FAQ on Thomas' Blog :sly:

1) "Will there be cheaper models?

....But don't expect that we ever make a wheel which does not clearly deserve the Porsche logo."

2) "Why is one motor better than two?

The big wheel rim requires a strong motor. We decided to use a single motor as this reduces mechanical resistance or the so called "cogging force". When you turn the wheel you feel little mechanical steps.
The only reason to use two smaller motors instead of one big motor is the increased heat produced by the big motor. The necessary cooling heat sinks and sensor controlled fans cost more than a second motor.
As cost reduction was less important than performance on this wheel, we decided to go for the big 24V Mabuchi motor."

:sly:

Mahnegold
Please don't take this one too serious but I just found two funny things in the FAQ on Thomas' Blog :sly:

1) "Will there be cheaper models?

....But don't expect that we ever make a wheel which does not clearly deserve the Porsche logo."

2) "Why is one motor better than two?

The big wheel rim requires a strong motor. We decided to use a single motor as this reduces mechanical resistance or the so called "cogging force". When you turn the wheel you feel little mechanical steps.
The only reason to use two smaller motors instead of one big motor is the increased heat produced by the big motor. The necessary cooling heat sinks and sensor controlled fans cost more than a second motor.
As cost reduction was less important than performance on this wheel, we decided to go for the big 24V Mabuchi motor."

:sly:

I wonder if he will still stick to those statements? LOL
Will be funny to see a BMW rim for the CSW with a Porsche logo. I doubt we will. heh
So does this mean a Porsche wheel for the CSW, CSR Elite and even CSR is confirmed? lol

As promised last week, here is my review of the Clubsport Table Clamp, that I received as a community tester of CSR Elite wheel :)

As promised last week, here is my review of the Clubsport Table Clamp, that I received as a community tester of CSR Elite wheel :)

7 minutes of table clamp review :)

Nice one, as usual, sonac, well done!

Great review Sonac, still i prefer my " home made " solution.

dsc00773vl.jpg

Less heavy, no change on damaging the table, faster to mount and also rock solid. No angle adjustment, but i prefer it that way.

Some news on the CSR elite, my replacement should arrive tomorrow. It should be one from the new batch, i realy hope there are some improvements

I will post some updates as soon i have tested the wheel.

Very good video mate :)

Can I ask if you need to mount to the angle bracket as well as the table clamp? Or can you take the bracket off and attach the table clamp directly to the wheel!?

I didn't think about doing that, because the angle would be wrong for me then (without the angle bracket wheel can either be parallel with your table or leaning towards floor), but I just checked and it is not possible. The wheel has 3 hard mounting holes in a triangle pattern and Clubsport table clamp's wheel plate does not fit on those.
Here's a photo with all the holes circled:
csrehardmounting.jpg

Back