Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
If you guys want genuine, high quality leather, I think you are going to have to shell out more than $100.

Also, Fanatec should ask the sim racing community to submit images of their 3rd party wheels and then do a bi-weekly blog posts highlighting all the wheels people have used. Given the relatively low price of the Fanatec offerings I do not think this would cannibalize sales and it would give people a resource to see what they can do with their hubs.

Last edited:
The leather on our wheel rims is made of real leather. Cow. Muuuuuhhhh.

No plastic.

And the shape of this rim is made in reference to the F1 rims as used in the 80's. It is an exact replica. But shape and ergonomy is always a matter of taste anyway.

Real Leather? Sorry, but...

9674878_orig.jpg

This wheel has some cow hide in it, but it definitely feels like bonded leather or PU leather. It So a 'Genuine Leather' it is, but not 'Real Leather'. I could have it confirmed by a local company that repairs car interiours?
I own a leather wheel and my dad owns a Alfa Romeo 156 with a complete Momo leather interiour. So it's not like I don't know one leather from the other.

That said though, I should've known better myself as to not expect too much for 99 euro. So allow myself to call myself a real idiot for that. :guilty:
:banghead:
Fanatec is definitely not to blame here. They sold as advertised!

Yup, the Lotus 98T feels absolutely great with this wheel. Just wish the games that have them would have their FFB in order right now.
The steering wheel is sturdy as hell though, and won't flex even a tiny bit. Even if I go all ape-**** on it to try and abuse it. Which can't be said about certain ebay wheels that use extremely soft metals.

Plus I have to say, after using it for a day I got used to the different feel from the quite different hand position.
It definitely feels different from a Formula rim in my opinion, and I would encourage people who drive old F1 cars to get a rim like this from Fanatec or otherwise... depending on budget. The more money... the better quality the wrap will be of course. You get what you pay for after all. ;)

Still would love the wheel to have a bit bigger tubing to have better grip, but if this is how it is in the Lotus 98T and similar cars of the era than I'll just have to get used to it. Or maybe try to add an extra layer of leather that I prefer around it myself. 💡 Maybe I will get some new skills in the process :lol:

If you guys want genuine, high quality leather, I think you are going to have to shell out more than $100.

True. I shelled out 60 euro for a Shell Cordovan leather strap for my Swiss watch. Which is about the highest grade leather you can get. And instead of coming from a cow, it's from the ass of a horse.
It's often used in shoemaking for expensive shoes, and usually the scraps are used to make things like watch straps. It's too expensive to just throw away.

In any case, I should've known better. I'm sure a whole different kind of leather was used for the Porsche 918 wheel than for this wheel. It certainly looks like it's a better quality leather used in pictures. It's even stitched and not glued. Which says something about how well the material can be worked on/with, and it being durable enough to do so.

14656269518_a6b36a3475.jpg

I received yesterday my Sparco P285 and mounted it on the universal hub.

The feeling is very good. I prefer this to the GT2 rim by far.

Hub + P285 with no button box and small paddle shifter weights 1367 g.

Looks great 👍

I just keep on thinking about the names of two series of rims:

Flat1 and Round1

This makes me wonder: Will there be a Flat2 and a Flat2 rim ?????

Something like this maybe??

Momo27C.jpg

That would be an instant buy....

.......again..........:)

Momo 27/C ?
I was thinking about ordering one :D

I ended up choosing the sparco above as I wanted something round (already had the formula and GT2 rims).

I think my next one will be a "cut" rim like the photo you posted !

Last edited:
Fanatec is cooking something new again!

10616021_699496466793019_4825207756591254229_n.png
If these are new pedals after I've only just taken delivery of my Clubsport v2s I'll be severely annoyed.. I'm thinking it's a direct drive wheel. If so, I'm glad I haven't ordered my CSW yet, I'll see how this pans out.

I hope a high end direct drive wheel, a Simsteering/Accuforce like competitor ! Those who have tested these very low latency wheels say it is a "game changer". My only experience with a direct drive wheel was with a Crudden and it was very smooth (even if my CSR Elite could sometimes feel the same in rFactor2, it could not match the low input latency of a direct drive wheel IMHO).

Screenshot_2014_08_20_13_46_54.png

"It's comming" suggest that it's something we have been waiting for.

Don't know what the " 7 " means.

What ever it is.

I'm 100% sure it will be awesome.

Screenshot_2014_08_20_13_46_54.png

"It's comming" suggest that it's something we have been waiting for.

Don't know what the " 7 " means.

What ever it is.

I'm 100% sure it will be awesome.

Can´t they release a budget wheel of higher quality? I tried the GT2 and it was horrible, everything about the wheel felt so cheap, the mounting mechanism for example have to have been made bad on purpose so they could sell those fanatec metal clamps. They should scrap both GT2 and GT3 and make it right from the beginning and they would sell alot more wheels.

7 months would be unusually cruel... even for Fanatec :)

7 week countdown with announcements/teasers till launch?

Edit:
Just want to add I fell in love with my Round1 rim. The leather fabric has become more supple and thus more comfy to grip. The diameter is about the same as the Formula rim, so I tend to use the Round1 for everything now. In the same way as you would use the G27's round wheel for everything. But the only exception is when I use cars with steering wheels that are 320mm or bigger in reality. As at that point the small size feels too much 'off' and just too small.

Anyways, the leather fabric is not as bad as I felt in the beginning. It's like the paint in the leather or some protective coating had to wear in/off first.

Last edited:
I am really hoping that it will be a direct drive wheel, previously I have switched between the T500 and CSW, but then I saw the accuforce wheel and then dropped the thoughts I had on the T500 and CSW, but if there will be even be a direct wheel in addition the the accuforce coming then I am all for it, exciting.

Well this has got me interested. Very interested to see what direction Fanatic take. Being a multi system user, compatibility is very important. I'm ever hopeful that Thomas can work some magic and produce an all in one solution. I know it's a forlorn hope but there you go.

Introducing new wheel rims at 350-400 euros a pop, and then raising the price of the Clubsport wheelbase to 500 euro doesnt exactly point towards an even more expensive product. But I guess we'll find out in 6 days.

Introducing new wheel rims at 350-400 euros a pop, and then raising the price of the Clubsport wheelbase to 500 euro doesnt exactly point towards an even more expensive product. But I guess we'll find out in 6 days.
Well if this is a direct drive wheel and is similar to the competition it will be €2000 at least. So a €900 price tag on the Clubsport base and rim would be cheap in comparison :)

In case you missed it, the rumor was of a drive drive wheel at well above CSW base prices. And also a cheaper wheel base slotting in below the CSW but using the same rims. The lower price device would compete in the Thrustmaster price class, CSW and direct drive would be more expensive aspirational products above the likes of Thrustmaster....

Last edited:
Back