Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
pretty sure is a ps4 wheel, unfortunately won't be cheaper than a t300rs.
Definitely won't be cheaper than a T300RS. I'm betting it's considerably more expensive than the CSW. I'm interested in seeing how it compares to the Simxperience wheel..

Simsteering vs Accuforce vs EC Sim vs Fanatec... Nice ! I hope and expect that Fanatec try to have a not too expensive wheel, there is room between a CSW and the Leo Bodnar wheel which by design do not care about price because it is intended to be the best wheel possible without constraint. The SimX Accuforce seams to be built using a SimX motor, so maybe Fanatec will also propose its own motor instead of buying an existing one.

Last edited:
thomas.jpg

I am really excited about this announcement. The only thing that has held me back from a CSW has been the compatibility with the PS4,

I have been looking to upgrade for about 4 months now because although my CSR is great for what it is, I have put it through a ton of use which prepared me to get a better wheel setup. I have used the G25, a G27, T500, and the CSR which out of them the Fanatec line has been the best setup as a package I used. I was worried that I would have to bite the bullet and get the new thrust master but the pedal system it has just made me feel cheated out of the elite pedals I'm running. They will be upgraded after the wheel setup gets done and this announcement I am hoping for a ps4 compatible wheel.

On the even better plus side, this will allow me to have 3 simulator setups now which will be great for friends.

I says next generation, to not mistake that for next generation consoles :)

You are right but It would be very confusing communication to speak about Next Generation if the wheel is not compatible with the new consoles.

In addition, in the illustration, the light color goes from the Xbox Green to the Playstation Blue so probability of a One and PS4 compatibility is very high :)

You are right but It would be very confusing communication to speak about Next Generation if the wheel is not compatible with the new consoles.

In addition, in the illustration, the light color goes from the Xbox Green to the Playstation Blue so probability of a One and PS4 compatibility is very high :)

I agree, next generation, green and blue. Got to be Xbox One and PS4 compatibility. Anyone want to buy a used Thrustmaster TX and Thrustmaster T500?!?!

So they really doing it. I wonder what they tell us as an excuse why the old wheels wont work on next gen. Just imagine people bought fanatec stuff for over 1000 bucks and cant use them on next gen only because there are no drivers.

So they really doing it. I wonder what they tell us as an excuse why the old wheels wont work on next gen. Just imagine people bought fanatec stuff for over 1000 bucks and cant use them on next gen only because there are no drivers.
Those wheels will still work on the platforms that they were advertised to work on when those people bought them though right? So they have still got exactly what they paid for right?

Those wheels will still work on the platforms that they were advertised to work on when those people bought them though right? So they have still got exactly what they paid for right?

Exactly.

My old Motorola Smartphone is no longer compatible to the latest Android OS. Should I complain to Motorola?

When we developed the Xbox 360 wheels not even MS or Sony knew the final specs of the new consoles. How should WE know more than the console makers and make our wheels future proof?

If it would be so damneasy to make the old peripherals (not just wheels) compatible, why is not any other big brand doing that? You could sell a lot of adapters if there would be a legal way to do so.

We did what we could and at least you will be able to use all your accessories like shifters, pedals, handbrake, etc.

We'll see in a few days what it is, but if it really supports XB1 and PS4, kind of hard to believe it to be something like 1000+ € direct drive base in that case. That person who spends 1500+€ on a wheel package just to play Forza and Driveclub must be kind of insane a bit (it is of course totally another matter if money is no object at all) and there probably won't be many. (Though a person who buys this 400+€ plastic Madcatz crap only for Forza is probably more insane).

Exactly.

My old Motorola Smartphone is no longer compatible to the latest Android OS. Should I complain to Motorola?

When we developed the Xbox 360 wheels not even MS or Sony knew the final specs of the new consoles. How should WE know more than the console makers and make our wheels future proof?

If it would be so damneasy to make the old peripherals (not just wheels) compatible, why is not any other big brand doing that? You could sell a lot of adapters if there would be a legal way to do so.

We did what we could and at least you will be able to use all your accessories like shifters, pedals, handbrake, etc.

How can you compare an old smartphone with CPU,RAM and stuff to an wheel that only needs new drivers for the new platform? By your logic, old wheels should also not work on PC anymore because technology goes forward. But yeah, they do.

At times you were lazy to make your own drivers and used the logitech ones on the last gen consoles. And now that logitech does not supprt wheels for consoles anymore, you say it is not our fault. I always thought Fanatec is the most customer friendly manufacterer but after that post I dont know if I will support Fanatec anymore. I really thought you were doing something and will suprise us. But it looks like greed won. That lazy "security chip" excuse is a joke. The T500 has no security chip and will work on PS4.

For ps4, I don't know but for Xbox One, I do not see any exemple of xbox 360 game controller (wheels included) that works with it... does not seen Fanatec specific.

How can you compare an old smartphone with CPU,RAM and stuff to an wheel that only needs new drivers for the new platform? By your logic, old wheels should also not work on PC anymore because technology goes forward. But yeah, they do.

At times you were lazy to make your own drivers and used the logitech ones on the last gen consoles. And now that logitech does not supprt wheels for consoles anymore, you say it is not our fault. I always thought Fanatec is the most customer friendly manufacterer but after that post I dont know if I will support Fanatec anymore. I really thought you were doing something and will suprise us. But it looks like greed won. That lazy "security chip" excuse is a joke. The T500 has no security chip and will work on PS4.

Sony do not forbid any USB device, but of course OS/Games have to handle in/out device communication using drivers. For the PS4, it seams that it is up to GAMES developper to support devices.

For the XBox one, microsoft use a proprietary protocol so you have to use a specific chip in order to make your device XBox One compatible.

It as nothing to do with manufacturer drivers...

Sony do not forbid any USB device, but of course OS/Games have to handle in/out device communication using drivers. For the PS4, it seams that it is up to GAMES developper to support devices.

For the XBox one, microsoft use a proprietary protocol so you have to use a specific chip in order to make your device XBox One compatible.

It as nothing to do with manufacturer drivers...

So why does SMS say it is up to the manufacterers about support for next gen. So far they only support Thrustmaster on PS4.

At this point it's starting to look like I was wise to hold off on replacing my Jurassic G25. I've been a console gamer for as long as I can remember, but with news of compatibility issues between legacy wheels & current gen consoles I found myself for the first time considering building a gaming PC. I would've been relatively happier to spend a little more on a good gaming rig over a new console and new wheel, plus I really resented the lack of wheel options on new consoles as a result of the seemingly exclusivity of Thrustmaster wheels on new gen consoles. After I was gifted a PS4, the cost of building a gaming rig versus buying a PS4 & new wheel was not as attractive an option any longer. So I'm really hoping that this reveal will turn out to be current gen console related & then I'll be very excited.

So why does SMS say it is up to the manufacterers about support for next gen. So far they only support Thrustmaster on PS4.
Read this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/will-the-logitech-wheel-work-on-ps4.275120/
It gives many random guesses but also some valid facts.

I understand people being upset that expensive peripherals aren't supported on brand new consoles, but it's not surprising. Logitech left the console market and have no interest in certifying their old model wheels with new consoles: Certification and building drivers costs money.

Fanatec would love to certify their old models with new consoles but those old models run via Logitech compatibility. I expect that the best Fanatec can achieve is to arrange for new compatible wheels, and if they manage that we can be thankful, because Sony is busy with mainstream partners in the early stages of a new console, hardly concerned with niches like €500+ steering wheels!

At times you were lazy to make your own drivers and used the logitech ones on the last gen consoles. And now that logitech does not supprt wheels for consoles anymore, you say it is not our fault. I always thought
Fanatec is the most customer friendly manufacterer but after that post I dont know if I will support Fanatec anymore. I really thought you were doing something and will suprise us. But it looks like greed won. That lazy "security chip" excuse is a joke. The T500 has no security chip and will work on PS4.

The new consoles do require a security chip to work the may MS and Sony intend. Sony has said that a developer can support what wheels they want in their driving games but it will only be supported for the driving aspect, will not work in menus and such to my understanding. Yes the old wheels could work on the new consoles but Sony and MS obviously don't want to, it is in their hands, not fanatecs.

An old wheel can not work with the wireless XBox One new XID protocol. This is impossible. But it may be possible on PS4 because Sony use HID which is a standard USB protocol so using USB device is not impossible.

While yes, it does suck that legacy wheels will likely not work with current gen consoles. That being said lets remember a couple of things.

1. We have asked Fanatec multiple times about next gen compatibility and they have made no explicit promises.
2. As Thomas said, maybe Sony/MS wake up one day and decide to change their policies. This probably happened, and there is nothing Fanatec can do about it (in regards to legacy wheels).
3. Lets be honest, the real problem here is that we are (were) facing a future where we are forced to buy all Thrustmaster products for consoles. TM doesn't make "bad" products, what sucks is that we would have to ditch our all our Fanatec accessories (which add up to large investment for some) and buy into TM's ecosystem... which is crazy.
4. Now that we have gone through this "saga" we can expect similar situations for future generations regardless of announcements. So bookmark this moment and hold your expectations next time around.

Without Sony you cannot write drivers because you need a PS4 dev kit to do so. And even if you have a driver and get support for some games the whole compatibility means nothing if Polyphony (owned by Sony) does not support your wheel.

So it is only in the hands of Sony and the only way to go is the official one. And the official way means that it is impossible to get a license for a wheel without security chip as this is how Sony controls the license fees.

So let's go the official way.

An old wheel can not work with the wireless XBox One new XID protocol. This is impossible. But it may be possible on PS4 because Sony use HID which is a standard USB protocol so using USB device is not impossible.

Of course not wireless, but it would not be impossible to add the HID USB protocol if MS chose to do so (atleast I thought anyway) but I don't see that happening

Without Sony you cannot write drivers because you need a PS4 dev kit to do so. And even if you have a driver and get support for some games the whole compatibility means nothing if Polyphony (owned by Sony) does not support your wheel.

So it is only in the hands of Sony and the only way to go is the official one. And the official way means that it is impossible to get a license for a wheel without security chip as this is how Sony controls the license fees.

So let's go the official way.
If I may be so bold: It appears that Thrustmaster is licensing their T300RS with security chip, and using the same drivers for T300 and T500 which sneaks in T500 support (just in game, not menus).

Does this mean you can build a new wheel, get Sony licensing, and sneak in driver compatibility between the new wheel and older ones, thereby potentially achieving backwards compatibility for the CSW? Or did Thrustmaster use a different approach for the T500RS?

My guess is that Fanatec just choose the wrong reflection colours on the shiny side of the wheelbase.

Another possiblity is that this wheelbase will be compatible with next gen consoles as soon as Sony / Microsoft allow it

Thomas already confirmed (somewhere in the fanatec blog) that this could be possible through a security chip in the rim if needed :confused:

Back