• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 170 comments

RACECAR

Owner/Promoter/Organizer/Driver/ETC
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR
So here's an idea I came up with over the weekend: I download some of the those gameplay videos from Mimaximax and I replaced the classical music/annoying crowd noise with real engine sounds. Not an original concept with other games but since I saw no one do this with GT5(or at least not right anyway), I gave it a shot. The amount of views I got on Youtube certainly seem to tell me it was a great idea so I figured I'd share them with you guys. Here they are:

One can only hope that GT5 will sound anywhere near as good as this, but until then you could sit back and enjoy these :D

Last edited:
Too bad the quality from the original sounds is so bad.
You did an amazing job to make them fit to the videos, these sounds in a proper quality, plus the effects from GT5. *dream*

Those videos are actually pretty good and it reminds me of some of the Rfactor mods I have seen. We can only hope the final sound will be something like this!

Great job and thanks for the effort it took to make, but they unfortunately sound too good i'm afraid and we can only hope GT5 will be anything like this for rawness and real-life accuracy.
I won't be listening to them again as i might get my expectations up too much ( knowing full well it is "fake", but well you know ).
So again thanks for letting us all know how it could and probably should sound like, now just keeping my fingers crossed.;)

Those are awesome dude!! It adds so much to the experience.

I don't see why we should accept anything less from PD.

Because there is a lot more involved putting sounds into GT5, than dubbing over these videos.

I really like them though, and you did a really good job.

I don't mean to sound negative, but they sound just like an in-car camera video, i.e. nothing like actually being there. I don't want GT to sound like a recording, I want it to sound real.

That's all down to the source material you had to work with, of course. That considered, good effort!

I don't mean to sound negative, but they sound just like an in-car camera video, i.e. nothing like actually being there. I don't want GT to sound like a recording, I want it to sound real.

I'm not sure that makes any sense, and, didn't you contradict yourself in the last bit? :confused:

There is too much distortion from the camera microphones for example.
In reality the sounds are deeper and richer, I guess that's what he meant.

You couldn't really recreate that though.

A camera recording sounds "nothing" like real life - no contradiction.

It is possible to correctly recreate the real-life sound, with a lot of effort mind you - but it's more than just technically feasible.

Thanks for all the responses, I still share the hope that the final game is anywhere near this. Until that happens, I'll just spend some time making our imaginations come to life:D

Stonemonkey
Any chance of fitting the GT5 (or prologue) sounds over real video?

Not very likely as not many people (myself included) wouldn't really have much care for it, but I might do what I've done here with the SC430 and NSX for the F2007 in GT5P. That'll be abit interesting though since the gearshifts are almost lighting fast.

Well really, In-car videos are all I have to work with honestly since they are closest I'll get. I don't really have anything to make it sound anymore real then it already does. The videos I used were the best sounding quality ones I could find as others were either muffled or barely audable. Of course, you're more then welcome to assist if you like :P

That's all down to the source material you had to work with, of course. That considered, good effort!

Thanks for the compliment.

Well really, In-car videos are all I have to work with honestly since they are closest I'll get. ...

Of course, I wasn't taking anything away from what you'd done - just the length of time it must have taken deserves respect! :)

Of course, you're more then welcome to assist if you like :P

Hehe! I appreciate the sentiment, but I have my own audio-related projects to avoid sinking time into... ;)

All things considered, a very nice job there! 👍

However...I found myself turning the audio down on my system and it actually started to grate on me after a while. I appreciate people want things as close to the real deal as possible, but I happen to think that there is a lot to be said for the more "pleasing" clinical audio we have experienced to-date in GT5.

However...I found myself turning the audio down on my system and it actually started to grate on me after a while. I appreciate people want things as close to the real deal as possible, but I happen to think that there is a lot to be said for the more "pleasing" clinical audio we have experienced to-date in GT5.

Sorry TokyoD, i have to disagree with you on this one, as this was after all footage and sound from a full thoroughbred racing car which i would love to sound as close to real as possible and to the point of maybe getting annoying or even painful.;)
Most road cars will have sound proofing installed like IRL and will have more of a "clinical" sound by nature.
But you'll probably gonna get what you want instead of what i'd like to see.

Sorry TokyoD, i have to disagree with you on this one, as this was after all footage and sound from a full thoroughbred racing car which i would love to sound as close to real as possible and to the point of maybe getting annoying or even painful.;)
Most road cars will have sound proofing installed like IRL and will have more of a "clinical" sound by nature.
But you'll probably gonna get what you want instead of what i'd like to see.
Or hear even ;)

I know what you mean about the thoroughbred racing car, and that kind of sound would get on my nerves after a while - artificially done in a game anyway, might be different IRL. I'm sure that the in-car audio will be softened accordingly as you say.

Nice job! Love the sound in the second video. In a weird way, the aggresive sound of the real engine makes the racing in the video seem too laid back! :)

Or hear even ;)

I know what you mean about the thoroughbred racing car, and that kind of sound would get on my nerves after a while - artificially done in a game anyway, might be different IRL. I'm sure that the in-car audio will be softened accordingly as you say.

Well there's a reason racing drivers IRL wear earplugs and therefor alone the real sound experience will always differ from the game ( and not just volume ).
The final sound in GT5 will probably sound;) more like the clinical clean sounds you seem to prefer somewhat, although i'd love it to be more raw, crackly and metallic with all sorts of mechanical whining and crunching.
In short, i want my racing car to sound dirty and nasty, i'm even prepared to buy real earplugs for any race lasting longer than 20 minutes ( then i also don't hear my neighbours complaining ).

Well there's a reason racing drivers IRL wear earplugs and therefor alone the real sound experience will always differ from the game ( and not just volume ).
The final sound in GT5 will probably sound;) more like the clinical clean sounds you seem to prefer somewhat, although i'd love it to be more raw, crackly and metallic with all sorts of mechanical whining and crunching.
In short, i want my racing car to sound dirty and nasty, i'm even prepared to buy real earplugs for any race lasting longer than 20 minutes ( then i also don't hear my neighbours complaining ).
Haha, maybe that's the answer! PD record realistic audio as you described, we all go out and buy decent audio equipment, and then we go and muffle it all by buying ear plugs! But yeah, I do prefer a smooth, purring engine with a subtle hint of meaty exhaust thrown in. A raw crackly engine would be fun in short bursts though (especially with ear plugs!) ;)

Thanks to the OP for showing how it should be done, you cannot get a clearer example of how much more important realistic engine sounds are than perfect graphics.

Thank goodness Turn 10 are on the ball in the sound department.

Back