Fanmade GT5 Sound Previews

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 170 comments
It's just occurred to me that these are fantastic references. Obviously you did everything by hand, and the game would control the samples directly, but the videos are succinct demonstrations of the cars in question, but in the environment of the game. I hope PD have seen these.

I hope PD have seen these.

Same here! hope they see it copy the hell out of it and implement it in the net update!! Offcourse dreams are dreams and by the time PD finally realizes what sounds really needs to be adressed the world will be over...

RACECAR
So here's an idea I came up with over the weekend: I download some of the those gameplay videos from Mimaximax and I replaced the classical music/annoying crowd noise with real engine sounds. Not an original concept with other games but since I saw no one do this with GT5(or at least not right anyway), I gave it a shot. The amount of views I got on Youtube certainly seem to tell me it was a great idea so I figured I'd share them with you guys. Here they are:

One can only hope that GT5 will sound anywhere near as good as this, but until then you could sit back and enjoy these :D

Fixed link. Nice

Man every time I see those vids I feel like hitting my PS3 with a sledge hammer and burn my GT5 cpoy! Why can't they give us sounds like that!!? Why?

Say, would you guys be able to link Kaz to this thread via Twitter? You guys talk so much about wanting PD to improve the engine sounds, maybe you could link him here (or in the GT5 Sound Thread).

It might just do enough, I mean the Super gt5 fans wont admit it, but those of us who complain or always do things like feedback and other people that do various things too are the reason PD has made such huge changes to GT5. I think this could be the next thing to help enact change.

Hopefully they will pay attention to this department wich probably is the most heavily criticised department of the entire GT franchise.
Can you post on Twiter without an account?

Jav
Do you think it would work? I don't even have a Twitter account...

Neither do I, but maybe you have someone you know who has a twitter link to the thread. Better yet, maybe link my videos themselves (which can be found on my channel in my sig). I think actually showing him the end result you desire will perhaps go very far.

Perhaps a "sanitised" and summarised version would be better than linking to tens of thousands of posts.
The "improved sounds", or whatever, feedback entry is also a million posts deep, so it's probably also a touch cumbersome.

I'm thinking we just need a concise and unadulterated list of things that GT5's sound is, is not and could be. Or rather, a list of things we like, a list of things we dislike, and a list of things we'd like to see (hear) in GT.

The difficulty will be in "controlling" the discussion to keep things useful, whilst a lot of this is going to be subjective (but not necessarily irrelevant). How about I trawl through the various sound threads (including this one, and others like it) and make a list of my own, possibly according to the structure outlined above, and then start a new "summary" thread for others to discuss, or something?

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Perhaps a "sanitised" and summarised version would be better than linking to tens of thousands of posts.
The "improved sounds", or whatever, feedback entry is also a million posts deep, so it's probably also a touch cumbersome.

I'm thinking we just need a concise and unadulterated list of things that GT5's sound is, is not and could be. Or rather, a list of things we like, a list of things we dislike, and a list of things we'd like to see (hear) in GT.

The difficulty will be in "controlling" the discussion to keep things useful, whilst a lot of this is going to be subjective (but not necessarily irrelevant). How about I trawl through the various sound threads (including this one, and others like it) and make a list of my own, possibly according to the structure outlined above, and then start a new "summary" thread for others to discuss, or something?

Any thoughts / suggestions?
Extactly, it would be so hard to keep it all on track. We would need a moderator to delete any unrealted posts from the people that just don't read and prevent it from becoming yet another fanboy vs open minded people debate.

To be fair, I did suggest linking to the videos themselves as well (not necessarily to the posts with them) as I figured that might be cumbersome.

It's nice, but keep in mind that this game is played in a home environment, I think it's a bit too much noise and it's gonna drive people crazy, especially those who doesn't play themselves... The current sound of GT5 may be too clean and timid compared to real life, but at least it works pretty good in a home environment. As a sound designer, you don't just have to think about recreating reality, you also have to make sure that the sounds you create will work for the product and its purpose.

Not meant as a critique, I think the videos are awesome and a great job! But it's more to sound design that just raw brutal force. Trust me, I have a vaccuum cleaner that sounds like a hurricane. It sounds like it's doing its job just fine, but in the long run all you get is a headache.

Last edited:
It's nice, but keep in mind that this game is played in a home environment, I think it's a bit too much noise and it's gonna drive people crazy, especially those who doesn't play themselves... The current sound of GT5 may be too clean and timid compared to real life, but at least it works pretty good in a home environment. As a sound designer, you don't just have to think about recreating reality, you also have to make sure that the sounds you create will work for the product and its purpose.

Uhh, we have a volume button for that... Those sound samples came straight from other games also designed to be played on a home eviroment, so I don't really see your point.

What game was it from? Sorry if it was obvious and I missed it. Please dont tell me its from a PC game. I'm running out of excuses to not go the PC route.

What game was it from? Sorry if it was obvious and I missed it. Please dont tell me its from a PC game. I'm running out of excuses to not go the PC route.

Lol!! Yup! PC, not sure if it was GTR2, Live for Speed or some rFactor mod...
And just to push you a bit further into that PC:

RACECAR
Forgot all about this thread. Here's two new ones, one from last year and one I just completed today:

[YOUTUBEHD]ugwbsW_K14g[/YOUTUBEHD]
[YOUTUBEHD]aFny1TBu0dk[/YOUTUBEHD]

Too bad mobile app users can't, oh never mind. I'll just hunt you down on YT :P

Not meant as a critique, I think the videos are awesome and a great job! But it's more to sound design that just raw brutal force. Trust me, I have a vaccuum cleaner that sounds like a hurricane. It sounds like it's doing its job just fine, but in the long run all you get is a headache.

...Then don't play the game so loud, it's like saying that if a COD MW game had the guns sound like water toys that'd be fine, because the idea of really sounding weapons or explosive is just too much for the home environment. I mean does that sound rational to you. The sounds in GT needs to be fixed it sounds nothing like real race cars or production and if you want a more quiet sound then drive interior view where the sounds is insulated but you can still hear the real car.

Also if the sound is an issue, why not turn down the game many people play these games and have surround sound for the very reason of real car sounds that give a true driving/racing experience. Furthermore, the view point of people behind this is more for the sound than against it. So that should tell you something as far as the demographic goes for people that play this game. not to be mean but the point you've tried to make here seems quite limited for you and I've posed viable solutions that keep both types of people happy.

I think they should make the rear exhaust sound much louder but the cockpit noise much quieter in some cars.

Yes that would be realistic since most productions cars are insulated, but certain cars are going to still be loud inside.

It won't be realistic at all, since it's the intake noise that dominates the interior of most production cars. A temporary fix is all it might be. PD need to add intake sounds, not scale everything else to try to fit, because it'll still sound wrong.

GT5, in addition to sounds directly caused by the engine and the exhaust also needs cockpit noises, transmission/clutch/gear noises (which should not only be gear whine), chassis noises (right now there's almost completely no feedback when riding over obstable like bumps, curbs, etc, except for tire noise), brake noises, internal dampening caused by the sound proofing (possibly differing depending on the car and the weight reduction mod - at least much more than it currently is), etc.

There's a lot that causes noise in a car that PD simply omitted.
In a driving sim where you don't necessarily drive loud cars or even necessarily race, all sound sources are important in my opinion.

GT5, in addition to sounds directly caused by the engine and the exhaust also needs cockpit noises, transmission/clutch/gear noises (which should not only be gear whine), chassis noises (right now there's almost completely no feedback when riding over obstable like bumps, curbs, etc, except for tire noise), brake noises, internal dampening caused by the sound proofing (possibly differing depending on the car and the weight reduction mod - at least much more than it currently is), etc.

There's a lot that causes noise in a car that PD simply omitted.
In a driving sim where you don't necessarily drive loud cars or even necessarily race, all sound sources are important in my opinion.

I must remember your posts when I attempt this summary. 👍

Also, this would not be a direct sound improvement, but allowing all users (not only clutch users) to switch off the "auto liftoff", "auto blip" function from the throttle control when changing gear, and to make shifting times influenced by how quickly/strongly gear change buttons are pressed (on cars with manual gearboxes) would greatly enhance sound realism of gear changes by introducing some kind of human induced variability.

Removing the "clutch drop" protection which prevents tires from skidding on gear changes (even for clutch users) would also increase sound realism (in addition to driving realism). With controllers of clutchless wheel users, the harshness of clutch control could be related to shift speed (as described above).

Now, some direct sound improvements that PD could implement, more in detail:

- Intake noise. Not only the "booming" sound, but also throttle body-induced ones. This should also change depending on intake modifications.
- Brake noises. Hissing, ABS/hydraulic system sound. Again, this might depend on [future] tuning modifications. Sports/racing systems should be noisier.
- Wiper noise. They currently make no noise.
- Ignition key holder noise. Affected by G forces. This should be customizable.
- Tire noises - while they have been considerably improved in the latest update, differences between different tire types could be better portrayed.
- Occasional engine fan noises (on applicable cars). Admittedly, this would only be a smal detail that most wouldn't notice.
- Engine misfirings, backfiring (not the cheesy flames visual effect, I mean the sound) on highly tuned cars running rich and/or with wild cams during gear changes or lift-off. This could be partially proportional to the distance driven since the last "engine refresh".
- Suspension noises. This could be proportional to the distance driven since the last "chassis refresh".
- Exhaust deterioration (might be proportional to the last engine refresh) /and "running in" (a hot exhaust makes a more booming noise)
- The power limiter should affect engine sound (since as it is, it most probably works as a programmable electronic throttle limiter). A more realistic "intake restrictor" should too.
- Tuned engines, regardless of the exhaust fitted, should sound more raw and harsh. Hear what happens on VTEC engines when high lift cams get used. Increased engine compression (on tuned engine) and other factors (more aggressive spark advance and fuel injection) also increase engine noise.
- More and different turbo noises, depending on the installed turbo kit. Blow off valve noises should be optional (most stock engines have blow-by valves which don't make noise by the way. This is not the case in GT) and customizable.
- Supercharger noise. This should also depend on its type and drive ratio (features not currently implemented in GT)

These are just a few ideas, more might come later.

I have a couple more that should definitely have been included: The sound of gravel hitting the underside of your car when you enter and sand-trap, maybe the occasional stone chip noise on the track, the odd squeak of the suspension when they get hit hard.

Dave_Panic
I have a couple more that should definitely have been included: The sound of gravel hitting the underside of your car when you enter and sand-trap, maybe the occasional stone chip noise on the track, the odd squeak of the suspension when they get hit hard.
That just made me remember the internal (cockpit) sound of water hitting wheel arches when driving over ponds of rainwater in real life. Right now in GT5 it's as if rain/water only affects the tires, without colliding with the rest of the car. However it could also be that in the game there's [conveniently] never enough water on the road for this effect to be heard (and be felt through altered car behavior, besides aquaplaning).

It won't be realistic at all, since it's the intake noise that dominates the interior of most production cars. A temporary fix is all it might be. PD need to add intake sounds, not scale everything else to try to fit, because it'll still sound wrong.

Most production cars don't have that heavy of an intake sound and looking at the list of cars we have to choose from, the inside view would be quiet unless you're driving a production ZR1 or F458 or anything in line with that. What PD really needs to do is be highly descriptive from car to car and give it the proper sound interior wise and exterior wise. Also filter sounds and trying to get an analytical on paper idea of what each car sounds like due to angle and distance factors virtually isn't what we need. We need realistic sounds and not digital mutter. Obviously you didn't get what I was trying to tell the said user. Also it's obvious that certain stages of a car are going to be louder inside due to parts being taken away or reduced to save weight.

It should be noted that I also said this already about certain cars especially race cars that are nearly as loud inside as out.

Most production cars don't have that heavy of an intake sound and looking at the list of cars we have to choose from, the inside view would be quiet unless you're driving a production ZR1 or F458 or anything in line with that. What PD really needs to do is be highly descriptive from car to car and give it the proper sound interior wise and exterior wise. Also filter sounds and trying to get an analytical on paper idea of what each car sounds like due to angle and distance factors virtually isn't what we need. We need realistic sounds and not digital mutter. Obviously you didn't get what I was trying to tell the said user. Also it's obvious that certain stages of a car are going to be louder inside due to parts being taken away or reduced to save weight.

It should be noted that I also said this already about certain cars especially race cars that are nearly as loud inside as out.

Yes, I was talking more about the suggestion to boost the exhaust volume; I didn't dispute the fact that insulation causes sounds to be quieter... My mistake in selective quoting.

Intake is only half of the picture, with it missing, interior sounds will always be wrong - boosting the exhaust volume might help with immersion (by drowning out that whining "engine" noise), but only as a temporary measure (until intake sounds are included!).
As SHIRAKAWA_Akira mentioned, intake sound isn't necessarily boomy, it has its own texture; exhausts can be boomy, for much of the same reasons the intake can be. As such, intake is often misunderstood to be something else, so its importance is underestimated.

Latest Posts

Back