• Thread starter Ellis
  • 21 comments

Ellis

THE Nutter
Premium
England
Morecambe, Lanc
ellisnutt
Quite simply put as in the title, what are peoples favourite songs that are in games. Pop a Youtube Link if you can, and what game it is from!

Anybody who has spent time with me on a game will understand my love of the epic dramaticness of this...

From one of my favorite game stories, Red Dead Redemption. It fit perfect in the story, Jamie Lidell's- Compass.

One of my abiding favourites was from Road Rash Jailbreak, with the unsigned bands.

If the Animals Could Talk by the Black Light Poster Boys.

blacklight posterboys-if the animals could talk:

I think if I had to pick one, it would either be Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd (I think that's how you spell it) from GTA San Andreas or Minecraft by C418.

This takes some beating:

Other than that I like the music in Minecraft, and a ton of the tracks in GTA Vice City, but not sure either of those should count.

I was expecting a bunch of people saying Moon Over the Castle when I saw this thread :) Glad to be proven wrong.

I think one track that really caught me I encountered in Dirt 3 but it was also in GT5.

The one I like the most though, and always will...Unkle: Burn My Shadow Away, which has also been used in a few films too.

There's a VGM thread, but whatever. All the youtube posts made page loads super slow.

@MeanElf, I'm with you on that Dirt 3 BGM.A lot of their menu music was pretty cool. The beats were unusual for me, but I didn't mind it, especially that they weren't tracks that were loud or dominant. The overall attitude of the soundtrack here stayed subtle, perfectly appropriate for background music. Thanks for the share!

As for my list, the staples (excluding any Gran Turismo OST):

Devil May Cry's Pillow Talk.
Donkey Kong Country's Aquatic Ambience.
Donkey Kong Country 2's Stickerbrush Symphony.
Jackie Chan Stuntmaster's Rooftop Level 2 and Rooftop Level 3.
Mirror's Edge Eden (Puzzle), Eden (Ambience), Kate (Puzzle), The Shard (Puzzle), Menu Theme, and of course Still Alive.
NFS High Stakes's Paradigm Shift.
Super Adventure Island's (SNES) Blue Blue Moon, Cool Jam, Darkside Visitor, and Jungle Chase.

Quite the bias.

Outside that, there's:

Super Mario Bros 2's Overworld. (SNES) I could hum this looped tune forever.
Legend of Zelda's Song of Storm, which I could hum forever as well.

Here's a groovy one you may like if you like the Alto Sax:

And if you like jazz, or looking to find an interest in it, this one's fairly light:

edit: Wow. How could I forget Soul Caliber 2's History Unfolds? One of the best character select screen themes ever.

Last edited:
I think an interesting direction this thread can move towards instead of just being "Favourites" would be to share songs we feel are hidden gems, where we avoid posting the popular stuff a majority of people like and are already familiar with.

Thoughts?

I think an interesting direction this thread can move towards instead of just being "Favourites" would be to share songs we feel are hidden gems, where we avoid posting the popular stuff a majority of people like and are already familiar with.

Thoughts?

(Well apart from the other game music thread.)

What is common to some may not be to others, and nostalgia plays into what is good or not.
I couldn't care less about something like a MGS theme, but I will obsess over the secondary Ace Combat 4 hanger theme.

I've never played Okami, but the other day I listened to the whole soundtrack with no previous feelings to get in the way.

(Well apart from the other game music thread.)

What is common to some may not be to others, and nostalgia plays into what is good or not.

Oh I know.... I guess it's best to take that statement less directly and more as a guideline?

Oh I know.... I guess it's best to take that statement less directly and more as a guideline?

Uhh..yes?

If it's something as common as Moon over the Castle then it doesn't really need to be in here.

Back