Fellow motion simulator guys. Check this out

• Thread starter Mayaman
  • 88 comments
This chair looks kind of cool but to me it says office chair and the price is out of hand.It looks like one of those massage chairs that was left on high current for to long. I too like Pat Dodson's seat, I can fit it to my custom Zalem rig very easy. We are starting to see more and more new and cool designs in motion Sims, lets see what the next 5-10 years bring out. :)

This chair looks kind of cool but to me it says office chair and the price is out of hand.It looks like one of those massage chairs that was left on high current for to long. I too like Pat Dodson's seat, I can fit it to my custom Zalem rig very easy. We are starting to see more and more new and cool designs in motion Sims, lets see what the next 5-10 years bring out. :)

Spot on... One thing is for sure, I keep going back to watch these guys youtube videos.. Their set up plus motion would be out of this world:

http://www.simpit.co.nz/centurion.html

Yeah, I've put in 80 hours already this week and today I'll be here till 11pm or later. Working on a Win7 migration for the entire company.

Hopefully I'll be done by mid next week, but I have written a few paragraphs from what I've wanted to get across. I tried really hard the last few days when driving to work to jot down my experience and then convey that to the motion sim. Hopefully it'll be a fun read.

And I agree about the "office" look of the chair but I think that is because of the base. They sell another without that base made to mount on driving rigs. But you're all right, it doesn't scream "Racing". And also the backrest is the only thing that moves but I don't think that is such a bad thing. At least not at first glance.

Yeah, I've put in 80 hours already this week and today I'll be here till 11pm or later. Working on a Win7 migration for the entire company.

Hopefully I'll be done by mid next week, but I have written a few paragraphs from what I've wanted to get across. I tried really hard the last few days when driving to work to jot down my experience and then convey that to the motion sim. Hopefully it'll be a fun read.

And I agree about the "office" look of the chair but I think that is because of the base. They sell another without that base made to mount on driving rigs. But you're all right, it doesn't scream "Racing". And also the backrest is the only thing that moves but I don't think that is such a bad thing. At least not at first glance.

We're all looking forward to you're two cents, just don't kill yourself trying to get it to us faster:)
The Dbox setup looks really nice but i don't think it's ever going to be in my price range. So first things first, time to go triple screen.

We're all looking forward to you're two cents, just don't kill yourself trying to get it to us faster:)
The Dbox setup looks really nice but i don't think it's ever going to be in my price range. So first things first, time to go triple screen.

Agree with alucard83, no need to rush.

Alucard, triples and tactile IMO is the best and cheapest things you can do. Motion is the cherry on top. But if you can get triple projectors *which by the way isn't as expensive or hard as everybody makes it* and put some tactile all over your rig then you're going to have something awesome.

I agree that triple projectors would be the best, having 3 seemless screens would be awesome. But it's stil a lot more expensive then going triple monitor. It ofcourse helps if you're tripling you current monitor which i wil be doing.
Two more dell u2412m monitors will cost me around 500 euro's.
The cheapest full hd beamer i could find would cost me 700 euro's each. Then i'd need three screens and something to put the beamers on. All in all quite a bit of disposable income needed for that option. Maybe 720p beamers would cut the costs in halve but i don't know if you would notice the loss of vertical pixels as much as with a monitor. Maybe this is not an issue if you adjust the fov properly?
I'll have to look into the tactile options, would be awesome to feel the engine and rumble strips through the frame.

Yeah do what you can buddy, its all about finding what works for you. You're definitely on the right track!

For the record if you follow my thread and my videos you'll see that the video quality from 3 pico beemers is pretty nice.

Hello, I am Julien Regnard from Geko Systems.

We produce the compact motion simulator GS-105. The seat is now available in two versions.
One with an office chair foot (possibility to change height) the other to integrate in an existing setup.

GS-105Both_small.jpg

I will try to explain how it works and answer your questions.
I hope this is OK with the forum rules.

1) GS-105 how it works

Traditional motion simulators like motion platforms or frex-like move your body or change
your posture moving the backrest.
This is an indirect way to make you feel forces: it moves you and as a result you feel forces.

The GS-105 is a G-Seat or dynamic seat. Basically this is a force feedback seat.
Instead of moving you and expect you to feel the right forces, it directly applies the forces
where it gives the most convincing effect for your body.
The bottom of the seat does not move and plays the role of your car seat. The upper backrest
and the harness push your torso and play the role of the G-forces.

G-Seats have many advantages compared to traditional simulators:
* very reactive: takes only a fraction of a second to apply a force, while other simulators have
to move your body until it reaches the right position.
* sustained force, no parasitic force: G-Seats push the right amount and can push forever
without unwanted forces. Other simulators move and have to stop moving sooner or later
as their actuators reach their maximum extent. In a long corner like Monza last corner, a
GSeat will give you the exact centrifugal force and all it's variations, while a traditional motion
simulator will move then stop causing unwanted variations in forces you feel.

2) the innovation.
The innovation is that the GS-105 upper backrest applies STRONG forces to your torso on
a large range (8" lateral, 8" longitudinal). Up to 40 lbs.
As a result, like in real life, you have to resist against the forces in order to keep steady.
For example when breaking, the upper backrest will push your torso forward, and you have
to contract muscles in your back, arms, legs to keep steady, exactly like you would do in real life.

It gives a very powerful immersion, with a full body response. You are no more passive like in
other motion simulators and G-Seats. Like in a real vehicle, there is a tight feedback between
you and the vehicle. You know what level of force to expect for a given steering or braking input and
immediately detect when something is wrong. This is a very different experience from other simulators.

The GS-105 with iRacing:

At 0:32 you can see how the GS-105 gives you a very sharp sensation when the car starts sliding.
At 2:22 during heavy braking you can see how the GS-105 makes you feel what the rear of the car
is doing and intuitively keep control.​

Here you can find an article which explains all this with more details and pictures.:
http://www.gekosystems.com/en/gs-105-motion-simulator/learn-more.html

Last edited:
Really interested in this as I've been looking at the GS4 seat. The look is throwing me off though. It looks like what it would be if I were to bolt my theatre chair up to my sim rig. It does not look bad, just...strange maybe. I'd really like to see this 105C connected to a rig. In the youtube video it seems like the chair is just sitting on the ground? With the GS4 I know I just connect to seat rails and go.

I do like how compared to the GS4 the components seem more enclosed and the sound of the chair operating seems to be minimal compared to other solutions (important when lapping at 3:00am and baby is close!!).

In the videos we used the foot version, on the ground. In low position the sitting height for this version is 14.5" (37cms) this is very close from sitting height in most cars.

The sitting height of the cockpit version is 12"(30cms). It looks high on the pictures, but it is quite low. It is similar to the height of a racing seat on it's support. You can still add seat rails before it reaches the sitting height in a car.

The GS-105 is made of wood, it is easy to attach with wood screws.
A customer attached directly the GS-105C on seat rails with wood screws, and the seat rails on the bottom board of his cockpit. Another one attached the GS on a cockpit made of aluminium profiles. You can bolt it through the sides too.

It makes less noise than most racing controllers. Here is a video with raw audio to hear the noise level:

Ahh thanks for explaining that. Ok, so you can attach the seat rails to the bottom of the GS-105C to mount to your cockpit with wood screws. Sounds simple enough. Would still like to see it mounted to a cockpit but I see how it could work now.

The compact design is really nice since I have a small footprint to work with. Maybe the chair design will grow on me :).

Going to your website for more info, this looks like a good possibility... :cool:

update: Informative website (more so than the GS4 seat site for sure). Couple questions, where do the usb and power cord connect? What is it that looks like some sort of aluminum panel on the back of the seat (shown on website pics)? Can you operate it without the harness? Lastly, does it work with Game Stock Car 2012 and F1 2012 Codemasters?

Thanks for the thread Maya 👍

Last edited:
More videos would be appreciated as well from different angles. :)

No problem Cheb, I'm always on the lookout to for more things to spend money on lol.

Mayaman
More videos would be appreciated as well from different angles. :)

No problem Cheb, I'm always on the lookout to for more things to spend money on lol.

Need a 33 year old son?

Mayaman
Sorry I only spend money on "fun" stuff. Hehe

But, but, but.....daddy?

No more off topic for me. Sorry.

This seat as i stated before looks great but i wouldnt replace my static full bucket kirkey seat for it.
Now if there was a kit of some sorts where i could cut my race seat in half and add the motion aspects to the upper section of it then we are talking.

Yeah haven't forgotten, my posting tIme until this win7 project is done is basically limited to a couple minutes a day. :(

The aluminium panel at the bottom left receives the USB and the power supply plugs.

Operating without the harness is not possible, unless you set a very very low level of forces. The tightened harness keeps the connection between your torso and the upper backrest, and allows to have a strong, life-like level of forces. It also surrounds you and helps feeling the G-forces apply to your entire torso instead of feeling the forces on your back only.

For the games we will check to be sure, but:
F1 2012 should work like F1 2010-11 assuming they did not change their way of sending telemetry.
Game Stock Car 2012 uses rFactor engine, so it should work directly with the plugin supplied for rfactor.

We used the top down view in videos as it is the best to show torso movements in all horizontal directions, but it is possible to show other angles. We will upload more videos soon.

Awesome thanks. Its always good to show different views as you'll have skeptics who will hold that against you.

I'd love to see a design of this that enables a user to add a typical racing seat just not keen on the office chair look or something resembling a la-Z-boy, no sir.

Yes sorry, several users (mostly from France) have posted reviews, pictures and videos since last time.

Here a customer (he made the second video, dark with triple projectors above) made a detailed review in english on iracing forum.
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2146885.page

I copy it below:

Philippe
Ok, i will review a new product, the GS-105 by www.gekosystems.com

My real racing experience are only karting (rental).

My simulator experience : i've tested a frex like home made system (SCN5 + X-sim) from a friend of mine, one year ago during three afternoons.. I'd like it a lot and i was thinking of buying one this year when i discover the GS-105 website..

The GS-105 :

HOW IT WORK'S :

It's a new G-seat (not a motion seat).

It's quite close to a Frex like system at the first look.

But the diffrence with a frex like system, is that only the upper part of the backrest move.

It can push in any horizontal direction (2DOF) with a maximum force of 18 kg.

So your pants stay in place and you have to resist the G-forces with your upper torso.

If you're fit enough and the forces not set too strong : you feel all the forces without moving.

for more explanations : http://www.gekosystems.com/en/gs-105-motion-simulator/learn-more.html

BUYING :
I let a message on the website and i'd get an email with price + shipping.
I'have done two wire transfert (50% at ordering + 50% at shiping).
I received the g-seat 6 days afters the last wiring transfert.

carton.jpg

SDC12079.jpg

SDC12083.jpg

SDC12085.jpg

SDC12086.jpg

gs.jpg

THE PRODUCT :

It looks quite nice and solid. It doesn't look very "racing", but that's not very important. As a chair,I find it less comfortable than a conventional office chair. The driving position is a bit less comfortable than in racing seat. The driving position is more upright.

cockpit.jpg

SDC12118.jpg

back.jpg

MOUNTING :
I made 4 holes in the bottom wood plate and then I simply bolted the seat to the aluminum profiles.

SDC12125.jpg

SOFTWARE :

The software is very powerful and very easy to use.
Each force can be separated or assembled with others.
So you can choose what you want to feel and you can choose the intensity of each type of force (road, bump, lateral force, handling, trajectory..).
There're several profiles already created for all the supported games.

IN USE :

Well first impression : WOW !!

Sence of speed is really great with lot of very fast vibrations on long straight. It's very strong too. My first test was with the DP on SPA, forces set to "weaker" (-30% from normal). It's very reactive, it was even difficult to resist the forces to stay right in front of the steering wheel. You feel all the bumps, curbs, vibrations, shiftings... The G forces are very well transmitted during braking, cornering.

Resisting to the lateral forces during long fast corner is very fun.

I was surprise how physical it was !

Comparing to the frex like have tested, i really like the fact of always being right in front of the steering wheel. You move less, but you feel all : D
For longitudinal forces, the GS105 is better in my opinion: on the brakes it feels like the frexlike without being too projected on the steering wheel, for acceleration you're not pulled back too much.
For lateral forces, the GS105 is really at the top, you feel the G forces, you resist to them and you stay in front of the steering wheel. Those lateral G forces can be very strong, they may vary during a turn, they can last a long time during long fast corner... With the frex system you're just inclined to one side and you resist to the gravity (and you're off-center of your steering wheel), it's less strong and less realistic in my opinion. In fast ​​chicanes the GS is better too in my opinion.

The GS is very reactive with no delay.

The GS is more physical than the frex system (if you resists to the forces).

That's just my opinion and Frex systems are very good systems too.

One important thing for me is that the GS105 is also really less noisy than the SCN5. Most of the time it is even silent.

CONCLUSION :

For me it's a big step in immersion.
It'would be difficult to go back..
A bit like the FFB for my wheel.
I'am very happy with it :D :D

ps : sorry for my poor english.

Here another review posted on iracing website, very enthousiast. This user has spent lot of time investigating about different solutions for motion simulation as he wanted to build his own simulator. He made several seasons of karting, and tried 6-axis heavy platforms from i-way (http://www.lepoint.fr/content/system/media/1/200804/6605_Une-Iway.jpg)
When he heard about the GS-105, he made some prototype using servo motors to feel by himself the concept before ordering.

Julien
Today I use a geko, since september.
I need to make a feedback to the community
sorry I don't really speak english lol
thanks google trad :)

It's new and it's revolutionary. For me other system are useless now.
I try to make my own with x-sim and wiper motor, when I see this product, it was a revelation. The concept put all the moving platform to the pre-historic age
Only lucidity! I try cynlinders system and I was ill.
With my geko, when I put it off while driving, I fell sick! (I use 3 videoprojectors it help to feel bad)

Today the only system that allows you to feel the forces including the length (ie parabolic) is the geko
the smallest details will be transcribed even during "load"
It's the only one where you can find position (if climbing or on the oval for ex), you feel rear loose, any mouvement of the chassis, when a front tire lost with V8 while braking, all the little whole (imagine what you can see when chassis is moving a little on screen, you have it, you really have all details)
And no phtom force when moving plateform goes on the side to make a turn, here you feel presure that change with detail when you move wheel or change speed...

You can't continue driving without it, it's like if a blind person recover its view
You need to try it because it's ridiculous to drive without it
Only lucidity!
it's not ad, I don't have any discount with ad lol

In more, it's plug'n play and soft is as complicate as notepad.exe
it's ridiculus! when I try with x-sim it was not the same! tweaking for long hours...
a revolution, it's sure

the ffb wheel become an accessory, and the ffb come in more of the real force but secondary
you work with the two to have a perfect feeling of the car

=> Immertion at the top

take a look at my youtube channel, some of the videos show you the geko in my cockpit with videoprojectors and my search to make a sim:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rapapar54?feature=mhee

Back