Fix the Gran Turismo CLUTCH movement

• Thread starter ApexVGear
  • 270 comments
Join the FTGTC movement and get Polyphony Digital to listen! Post your opinions on the current Gran Turismo clutch issues--and no, don't claim you have no problem with it because you've retrained yourself to work within the confines of this "video game." For me, an experienced (real life) driver that can make lightning-fast shifts, Gran Turismo IS NOT "The Real Driving Simulator" until this is "fixed."

Okay, I'm having a little fun with this, but this is a SERIOUS issue for me--at least for a "video game/simulator" anyway.

I WANT to enjoy the Gran Turismo series again, but because of this ONE MAJOR issue for me, I can't.

THE CLUTCH MODEL IS HORRIBLE and TOTALLY UNREALISTIC.

I tried out the GT Academy 2013/GT 6 Demo yesterday, and once I bought the 370z, I switched to a manual transmission and started using my clutch pedal and gated shifter...

JUST LIKE IN GT5, the clutch is still horrible.

After I "missed" several shifts before entering turns or coasted down every straightaway as I repeatedly worked the clutch pedal and stick (and touching nothing else), getting rrrrRRRRRRrrr and "N" again and again, I gave up (and cussed out PD a little... OK, A LOT).

I know there was an "update" to address this in GT5, but from what I can gather from G27, Fanatec, and even supported T500 owners, it still doesn't work realistically.

This isn't an attack on Gran Turismo--I just want this fixed so I can purchase Gran Turismo 6 and utterly enjoy it (even if it has other problems). If not, I'll have to go back to that other "franchise" on that other "system" because I love their "mostly realistic" clutch model.

BTW, I "completed" GT5, A and B spec, and have over 1,200 cars in my garage (and I struggled with the clutch, when I wanted to use it, all the way).

The NUMBER ONE goal that Polyphony Digital should aim for...
If your physical gated shifter is in a gear, Gran Turismo will be in a gear, NO MATTER WHAT, even if you "grind" or damage the transmission.

Please post your honest opinion and what type of wheel and shifter you use.

and PLEASE, stay on topic!

My current setup...
VStandElite02.jpg

Last edited:
I have to support this, you cannot change gear like in real life in Gran Turismo, nor in GT5 or the new GT6 demo and it really spoils it for me.

Yet another fundamental thing wrong with GT that PD care little about fixing/improving.

I do agree

Honestly I don't understand why they don't allow you to power shift or (with certain transmissions) engage the clutch with the pedal pushed say half way down.

I have been able to get it to engage at half way on GT5, with tuning. Most of my transmissions on GT are set with a really low final gear because of this. I hope they fix it, but at the same time it doesn't bother me, I am used to it. At least it isn't like this on the down shifts. The up shifts are a problem sometimes.

I don't fully agree with the statement "it isn't the real driving simulator until this is fixed". I have learned other ways of driving a manual transmission because of the clutch physics being as they are.

I hope they do fix it though.

I still haven't had a chance to try the GT6 demo yet, but this is no doubt disappointing. PD, please make sure the clutch is right in the final game.

Technically, it's not the clutch. It's a built-in block to prevent flat-shifting and clutchless shifting - it's the gear selection that is at fault. I wish there was an option to disable it, but for the Academy I can see why they left it in again...

Technically, it's not the clutch. It's a built-in block to prevent flat-shifting and clutchless shifting - it's the gear selection that is at fault. I wish there was an option to disable it, but for the Academy I can see why they left it in again...

I've read your comments on this issue before.
For general purposes and ease of explanation a clutch issue is the easiest way to relay the problem.

But you can do clutchless shifting anyway and you can flat shift in real life so why not in a driving simulator.
This clutch problem is the most irritating thing on gt5/6, it must be the simplest thing ever to fix for the PD so why are the taking so long.

Last edited:
Reddee
But you can do clutchless shifting anyway and you can flay shift in real life so why not in a driving simulator.
This clutch problem is the most irritating thing on gt5/6, it must be the simplest thing ever to fix for the PD so why are the taking so long.

They fixed down shifting before, so it would be easy for them to fix it. At the same time I completely understand why they left it like that.

They fixed down shifting before, so it would be easy for them to fix it. At the same time I completely understand why they left it like that.

I can't see one valid reason not to sort it to be honest zack. It's supposed to be a simulator and the clutch isn't even close to real life.

I've read your comments on this issue before.
For general purposes and ease of explanation a clutch issue is the easiest way to relay the problem.
You might think so, but not to the people that need to effect the fix. Get it wrong all you like, but don't expect people to correctly read between the lines if you do. PD have once already "fixed" the clutch, by changing the bite point and also making it more progressive. They kept the same gear selection controls though, so the "clutch" isn't really fixed at all! 💡
But you can do clutchless shifting anyway and you can flat shift in real life so why not in a driving simulator.

Yeah, I said that.

GT5:P allowed flat shifting at first. Think about that. They patched in the selection control to prevent people with H-shifters obliterating pad / sequential users on standing starts (the age-old, GT rev-matched upshifts). This was a very specific control that not only disallowed gear selection unless the throttle was off and the clutch was in, but it also had a timer on the 2nd gear. You couldn't select 2nd until after a certain amount of time had passed since deselecting 1st. Notice also that throttle overlap is allowed on downshifts, which is the only time I miss anyway, so it has nothing much to do with the clutch axis (although the bite point is a long way down the travel, but most of us get used to that very quickly).

What is really annoying is the need to deselect the missed gear and re-select it again, whilst keeping the throttle off and the clutch in. It should keep trying as long as you've got that gear selected, á la LFS and iRacing.
Oh, and, to repeat myself, I'd like an option to remove the checks altogether.

Gotta love the attitude; X can't keep up so Y should be completely ruined.

A gearbox/clutch is not that complex stuff compared to other game mechanics, it should be perfect.

If a H shifter could get more massively more straight line acceleration out of the car, the sequential/pad shifters need to be fixed, that or the clutch/gear effect made more real if that's what was needed.

As said before its not so much the Clutch in GT which works as a real clutch would (Removing/Allowing power to be sent to the driving wheel's) GT's Clutch does this with a distinct bite point & is not the ON/OFF switch that some claim it to be. The problem is PD not letting us Flatshift with the Clutch instead putting us into N this also causes trouble when doing heal & toe downshifts too.

They didnt leave it in for Academy trial, the clutch is disabled in it.
Clutch is enabled in the clubman non time trial race, and it's got the problem of giving you neutrals. So its got nothing to do with online multiplayer competitive aspect.

They didnt leave it in for Academy trial, the clutch is disabled in it.
Clutch is enabled in the clubman non time trial race, and it's got the problem of giving you neutrals. So its got nothing to do with online multiplayer competitive aspect.

The Clutch isnt disabled in GTacademy, Its just that the only car in the Trials that has a clutch is the 370z as the Leaf is auto & the GT-R has auto clutch as it does in GT5 unless you install aftermarket parts.

The Clutch isnt disabled in GTacademy, Its just that the only car in the Trials that has a clutch is the 370z as the Leaf is auto & the GT-R has auto clutch as it does in GT5 unless you install aftermarket parts.

The clutch is disabled in the Academy.....
Try driving the 370Z in the academy and the clutch doesnt work. Try driving the 370Z in the clubman race and it works.

Because they are 2 different 370z's in the Clubman race your in a stock 370z with GTa stickers, in the Academy event your in a 370z tuned version with the big wing.

You are saying tuned cars have clutch disabled. Even though they still have a clutch.
I'm saying clutch is disabled because its an Academy time trial.

Aside from the main issue here of gear changes.

I've not tried this again on GT6 to test, but there is a clutch issue in GT5 where in the clutch is an on/off switch, it doesn't have any slip. So if I was to put the car into first gear and then drive off as I would in my daily car by controlling the clutch, I could not do that in GT5.

If for example I was to do this in SimRaceway or Project Cars then they behave just like a real car as there is an analogue clutch system, rather than an on/off switch. I haven't tested for this particular thing in GT6 though, only tested high speed driving in the GT6 demo.

I'l get a chance to play again tonight, or one of you can let me know how the clutch behaves from a slow pull off, standing start.

Because they are 2 different 370z's in the Clubman race your in a stock 370z with GTa stickers, in the Academy event your in a 370z tuned version with the big wing.
If you want more proof you are wrong, watch a replay of you driving the tuned 370z, it shows you changing gears on the standard H gated gear shift.
Clutch is disabled because its a competitive time trial.

What is really annoying is the need to deselect the missed gear and re-select it again, whilst keeping the throttle off and the clutch in. It should keep trying as long as you've got that gear selected, á la LFS and iRacing.

👍

I join the FTGTC movement :sly:

I would love a working clutch, wheels cost so much its really disappointing they dont work closer to real life in the "real driving" simulator !!

What exactly is wrong with the shifting? My shifting isn't the fastest, but I don't have any problems using h-pattern and clutch with GT5 or in the GT6 demo. Maybe you can slow down your shifts by a fraction of second?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVJylj72rOc

Maybe I'm granny-shifting, not double-clutching like I should?

Prologue had power shifting and it was totally unfair. It essentially allowed every car to be the Lexus IS-F or the Skyline 370GT. I think forcing you to lift to complete a shift isn't too bad. It keeps competition with those without a clutch at an equal level. And it will at least teach some better driving habits in a real car, since power shifting and super-fast shifts can damage the clutch and transmission. I also think it's a bit more realistic then, say, iRacing where you can put the car in the next gear before hand, then kick the clutch to get a lighting-fast shift.

And anyone that thinks the clutch in GT5 is just an on/off switch is mistaken. You can slip the clutch. It's even possible to get cars moving in 5th or 6th gear by slipping the clutch.

Back