Flyin' Miata Super Cup | *Congrats to World Champion Aderrrm!*

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 4,456 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right in that it's good incentive to keep people going but a lot of complications come up when you scale up points to two rooms like we did in season 1.

This is why we need a feeder series, I really think it's the best option. We're unfortunately limited to 16 cars and that's what we need to work with, not try to come up with a magical formula of combining times or rooms or points.

You're right in that it's good incentive to keep people going but a lot of complications come up when you scale up points to two rooms like we did in season 1.

This is why we need a feeder series, I really think it's the best option. We're unfortunately limited to 16 cars and that's what we need to work with, not try to come up with a magical formula of combining times or rooms or points.

I wouldn't mind limiting it to 16 people, however I would be very strict about who signs up and they would have to commit 100%. That's one of the biggest things I hate about running this stuff is people who sign up then don't show. 👎

Edit: I don't know what to do honestly. Might just push this off until winter so we have more people to sign up. Also, I'm going to look into combining rooms a bit further, as I really don't see how it's a bad way to do it...

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind limiting it to 16 people, however I would be very strict about who signs up and they would have to commit 100%. That's one of the biggest things I hate about running this stuff is people who sign up then don't show. 👎
I'm not sure there's anything you can do about people not showing up other than removing them from the driver's list if it becomes a chronic problem. I will say that it would be considerate to let the league know if there's a particular reason why they can't make it.
Edit: I don't know what to do honestly. Might just push this off until winter so we have more people to sign up. Also, I'm going to look into combining rooms a bit further, as I really don't see how it's a bad way to do it...
Like I said, I just can't warm up to the idea of combining rooms based on time. However, it's really up to you and no matter what you decide, I still want in. :)

I do caution you about pushing it off all the way to winter, though. We got everyone's attention now. Six months from now, however, it may be a different story. :indiff:

Like I said, I just can't warm up to the idea of combining rooms based on time. However, it's really up to you and no matter what you decide, I still want in. :)

I just learned my brother has the race replay from the Group B Grand Valley East Reverse pre-season race from last season. I'm going to watch it tonight since I never got to, but will be writing down the total times and comparing them with the Group A room total times just to see if something like that would work. In theory it could work, and other than the fact that you're basically racing 16 additional ghost cars, it could make for some epic finishes. We'll see how my test tonight goes.

I guess my views have changed since last season, as only having barely enough people to fill one room just isn't enough for me. Two rooms used to be a problem, but this time around I would like to make it work. Even if we only have 20 people to race, splitting them down the middle with 10 drivers in each room could do some positives as well. Like better connections and frame rates during the race for one. I've seen other series do it this way and it seems to work for them.

I just learned my brother has the race replay from the Group B Grand Valley East Reverse pre-season race from last season. I'm going to watch it tonight since I never got to, but will be writing down the total times and comparing them with the Group A room total times just to see if something like that would work. In theory it could work, and other than the fact that you're basically racing 16 additional ghost cars, it could make for some epic finishes. We'll see how my test tonight goes.

I guess my views have changed since last season, as only having barely enough people to fill one room just isn't enough for me. Two rooms used to be a problem, but this time around I would like to make it work. Even if we only have 20 people to race, splitting them down the middle with 10 drivers in each room could do some positives as well. Like better connections and frame rates during the race for one. I've seen other series do it this way and it seems to work for them.
Let me see if I understand what you're trying to do. Here's some data I made up.

Room A Times
1st - 5:00
2nd - 5:03
3rd - 5:25
4th - 5:45
5th - 5:46
6th - 6:00

Room B Times
1st - 4:58
2nd - 5:10
3rd - 5:15
4th - 5:16
5th - 5:28
6th - 5:52

Combining rooms based on time:
B1, A1, A2, B2, B3, B4, A3, B5, A6, B6

Ok. Let me provide an alternative. Instead of combining ALL the times, how about we simply use them as tiebreaker for equivalent positions. Using the same example:

Combined Room: B1, A1, A2, B2, B3, A3, B4, A4, B5, A5, B6, A6

This way, it's still important what your final position is during the race AND you're still competing against someone in the other room.

<--- Definately interested, missed season two but raced Spec series1..

edit.. when will you need sponsors and colors?

We can certainly keep the same formula if we only have enough sign-ups for one room, but if we expand quite a bit and end up needing two rooms, I really like my idea posted above.

Here's what I am looking at:
  • 1-20 signups = current format
  • Qualifying two hours before race
  • Current points layout
  • Car specs will stay the same
  • Adding two races to schedule
  • 6 of 7 races count towards championship

• 21-32 signups = split room format
  • 2 qualifying races, 1 final race
  • New points layout
  • Car specs stay the same
  • Adding two races to schedule
  • 6 of 7 races count towards championship

hey, like everything here except seeing for the 2 hours quali before race time... would this be our only time to quali or would there be days before like last season? mainly just saying this because i feel its a lot of time to be online... also saying this because i would like ask the time for racing could be either late at night.... either 11 or 12 est or early morning 9 or 10am est... just my opinion if your times are already figured out its whatever, thanks

Ok. Let me provide an alternative. Instead of combining ALL the times, how about we simply use them as tiebreaker for equivalent positions. Using the same example:

Eh, I like the original idea better. I just got the GVER replay, so we'll see shortly.

edit.. when will you need sponsors and colors?

When I open registration in a few weeks. 👍

Edit:

hey, like everything here except seeing for the 2 hours quali before race time... would this be our only time to quali or would there be days before like last season? mainly just saying this because i feel its a lot of time to be online... also saying this because i would like ask the time for racing could be either late at night.... either 11 or 12 est or early morning 9 or 10am est... just my opinion if your times are already figured out its whatever, thanks

First, this is a bit hard to read so hopefully I answer it correctly...

You don't have to be there the whole two hours, just long enough to get your qualifying run in and then you can leave until the race starts. And the race time will likely stay the same, 11 or 12 EST is WAY too late. Morning could work, especially to get some European drivers in the room. We'll probably leave that to a vote.

Edit 2: Well the replay doesn't give you the finishing order with total times at the end like I thought it would. I've asked if anyone has the results several times with no answer, so not sure exactly how we can do this comparison...

Edit 3: Doesn't look like it'll work. Just looking at the total time for the winner in the B Group versus the total time for the A Group winner puts them too far apart. Example:

Group A winner = 33:31.415
Group B winner = 33:49.813

That total time for Group B winner would have put him in 8th position had we mixed them together. 👎

Last edited:
Edit 2: Well the replay doesn't give you the finishing order with total times at the end like I thought it would. I've asked if anyone has the results several times with no answer, so not sure exactly how we can do this comparison...

You can check Live Timing for the gaps between each driver crossing the line at the end of the race. But yeah I don't think there's anyway you can check the total race time of the leader (and therefore all of the drivers too) unless you just make a guess as they cross the line. :P

@R1600Turbo Yeah I thought it would be bit wierd to understand, my bad. :P But that pretty much sums up what I was talking about. Thanks.

Edit 3: Doesn't look like it'll work. Just looking at the total time for the winner in the B Group versus the total time for the A Group winner puts them too far apart. Example:

Group A winner = 33:31.415
Group B winner = 33:49.813

That total time for Group B winner would have put him in 8th position had we mixed them together. 👎
That's what I was hinting at with my example but thought you would see that yourself when you did your test. Even the slightest hiccup in time for whatever reason (lap traffic, lag, position battles) is going to affect the total time and it could result in a lot of people who finished well in an individual race finish poorly when the results are pooled together.

I'm not sure my alternative would work much better. I suppose we could simply award the same points for both rooms and then have the last race designated for only the Top 16 in points to determine the championship winner.

I'm not sure my alternative would work much better. I suppose we could simply award the same points for both rooms and then have the last race designated for only the Top 16 in points to determine the championship winner.

I was thinking about that too. Just score everything separate then take the top 8 in points from each room and they can battle it out for the championship.

Taking the top 8 from the B room isn't necessarily going to be fair if the bottom 8 of the A room are faster.

One way to grow this series and keep the racing fair would be to break the rooms down by region. This is currently a North American series based on the participants. The next step would be to branch out to Europe, or whatever other region has the most interest. Ideally this should be hosted by someone from that region to minimize lag issues. Then you can take the top 8 from each series to have an overall champion.

Then we can add Asia, and Australia & New Zealand, and... :D

We could even do this just for North America: Have an Eastern and Western series that combines at the end.

My 2¢

@Turbo: That test you ran btwn room A and B was The top 16 qualifiers in A and 17 through 32 in B. Would that be the case in the new season. Top 16 in room A or would we try and make each room more competitive by possibly making room A Odd qualifiers and B Even qualifiers. That could possibly make total time work. Or am I not making any logical sense here? lol

The way I was going to do it was to have people sign up randomly for either room. I don't know, I'll figure something out. Lots of time to do that...

Is the GT race still on for today?
I had actually totally forgotten about it until I saw the news post on the FMSC site.

Grrrrr, I'm going to say something I regret if I join in this 2 room discussion. Suffice to say, I don't support it. :)

@Turbo: That test you ran btwn room A and B was The top 16 qualifiers in A and 17 through 32 in B. Would that be the case in the new season. Top 16 in room A or would we try and make each room more competitive by possibly making room A Odd qualifiers and B Even qualifiers. That could possibly make total time work. Or am I not making any logical sense here? lol

I'm really curious to see how the mixing would work out. Wouldn't need 2 full rooms of 16. Just enough to make the data useful... probably minimum 6 in each room, nice to have 10.
This would probably produce meaningful results
1. pick 3 tracks
2. get a quick quali time for track #1
3. split everyone into two groups
4. run a short 15 lap or so race in two rooms
5. record results
6. repeat from step 2 for track #2 then #3

Room is open for GT race.

CLOSED

Thanks to everyone that showed up. 👍

The GT Class will actually be making a move to iRacing from now on. Wardez should have an update on that in the near future. :)

Last edited:
I think Sports Softs should be allowed. I have Dunlop Star Specs on my real Miata that have a treadwear rating of 200. People run them in Spec Miata. I don't see why we need Comfort tires which are like OEM tires.

Can't race right now though :(

fitftw
I think Sports Softs should be allowed. I have Dunlop Star Specs on my real Miata that have a treadwear rating of 200. People run them in Spec Miata. I don't see why we need Comfort tires which are like OEM tires.

Can't race right now though :(

We already run on sports mediums....not comforts....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back