Formula One Eni Magyar Nagydij 2011

He did ignore the orders, yes, but that does not mean that Mark wouldn't have been influenced by them to some extent. I do agree with you on the fact that he may have given up because of thinking it wasn't worth the risk anymore though.

I wanna ask a serious question: when Hammy snagged the title from Massa in that last lap (mind you, I wasn't watching F1 religiously at the time) would that go down as Massa being a 30-second (going off of F1 Fan's time here) WDC on a technicality, or would it not matter anyway since the race wasn't actually...completed?

Last edited:
My guess is he wasn't, because then there would been two world champions in that year and it wouldn't make sense. Vettel wasn't in the world championship lead until the final race last year, so there's that as well. Whoever is the championship leader at the end of the official results of the final race is champion... I think. :lol:

I wanna ask a serious question: when Hammy snagged the title from Massa in that last lap (mind you, I wasn't watching F1 religiously at the time) would that go down as Massa being a 30-second (going off of F1 Fan's time here) WDC on a technicality, or would it not matter anyway since the race wasn't actually...completed?

No. It's just that everyone thought it was all over at that point. Hamilton was champion. Massa technically was never champion. But when he crossed the line at Interlagos, had the race finished as it was at the time, he would have been champion.

His family, team and fans celebrated, while just about everyone bar Mclaren team personnel and one Ferrari employee were either confused or thought it was all over. I don't know whether you saw the BBC feed of the 2010 Abu Dhabi grand prix or not, but Jonathan Legard said "And Sebastian Vettel crosses the line to be drivers' champion. What a season".

Martin Brundle chipped in, reminding everyone it wasn't over yet. I was standing, eyes glued to my tv waiting for Rosberg's name to appear, it did and then I started jumping up and down. Was a good day for me :sly:.

Was a horrible day for me, I actually felt like shedding a tear, but I didn't, to retain my manliness.

And getting yet more technical, you could only be CERTAIN of the season's champion following post race scrutineering...

And getting yet more technical, you could only be CERTAIN of the season's champion following post race scrutineering...
And getting yet more technical still, you could only be CERTAIN of the season's champion only when the actual official trophy is handed out to the winner :sly:.

I wonder what I wrote is even true though. Could one be stripped of the title after being awarded it if any unforseen things come to light?

With Balestre or Mosley at the head of the FIA, maybe. With Todt I doubt it ;)

EDIT - FISA when Balestre ruled ...

Has anyone noticed that out of the 24 grands prix that Hungary has held, only about 5 (maybe 6) of them have ever actually been any good?

1990 - very close finish between Boutsen and Senna
1992 - Mansell wins his first title
1997 - Hill almost wins. In an Arrows
1998 possibly - epic strategy from Ferrari
2006 - Button's first win from 14th
2008 - Epic final moments, Massa's engine blowing up and all that

...Yeah, those are the only ones I can think of.

1986 - Piquet's amazing move around the outside of Senna.
1989 - Mansell won from 8th on the grid, passing Senna thanks to a nicely-timed backmarker in a great move.

2009 was alright, it had its moments. Same for 2010, had its moments.

In which case I wouldn't rule out ANY world championship being stripped from its driver years after either....

I hear that following Lewis Hamilton's trouble free race, the stewards had a bit of free time on their hands and are now reviewing the way in which he caused it to rain in Brazil JUST at the right time....

Was a horrible day for me, I actually felt like shedding a tear, but I didn't, to retain my manliness.

Nothing is manlier than shedding a tear in face of true tragedy. Just make sure you don't shed too many or with too much wailing. :)

Should be a live stream on their site no matter what anyway, that's where I've watched the last couple of races. Was just never into F1 enough to want to watch qualifying before :dopey:

Ardius
1986 - Piquet's amazing move around the outside of Senna.
1989 - Mansell won from 8th on the grid, passing Senna thanks to a nicely-timed backmarker in a great move.

Actually, Mansell was 12th on the grid for the 1989 race. It was the first time in years that the winner came from that far back (I think 1983).

The irony was who they simultaneously lapped at the time of Nigel's ballsy pass on Senna: Stefan Johansson, who had driven for both McLaren (Senna replaced him) and Ferrari (his seat from 1985-86).

I think the Hungaroring is just a little too narrow to pass in many places, and too many sharp turns with very few even medium-sized straights inbetween the turns. There's just a lot of throw-away turns that lead to lots of close driving, but not necessarily close racing. Don't get me wrong, it's kind of fun to drive on in games...but only two overtaking places, at best.

It has about 4 turns more than necessary, in my opinion. One thing I heard years ago, is that the track owners don't own very much of the infield or the lands outside the edges of the circuit property, so they can't alter the track very much.

Last edited:
There is a well known story that the Hungaroring was originally planned to be less "twisty", but during construction, a spring was found so they had to alter the plans.

[off topic]

F1 Fan's post reminded me a popular joke about a particularly twisty mountain road we have in Portugal - the kind that is a biker's dream :sly: - according to it, that road was built by a team led by a british engineer. Men didn't understand English, engineer didn't understand portuguese. So, every 50 meters of road they would ask him what to do next. Since he didn't understand and thinking they were asking if they should continue working his only reply was "Yes, yes ..."

And the guys would do another couple of esses :dopey: until they asked again.

Maybe the Hungaroring was built the same way ;)

[off topic]

F1 Fan's post reminded me a popular joke about a particularly twisty mountain road we have in Portugal - the kind that is a biker's dream :sly: - according to it, that road was built by a team led by a british engineer. Men didn't understand English, engineer didn't understand portuguese. So, every 50 meters of road they would ask him what to do next. Since he didn't understand and thinking they were asking if they should continue working his only reply was "Yes, yes ..."

And the guys would do another couple of esses :dopey: until they asked again.

Maybe the Hungaroring was built the same way ;)

:lol: could be. I found a similar road in Greece. It was a bikers dream. So picturesque and many nice turns like a racetrack. It would be a good spot for a hillclimb. I didn't like the area I stayed in so if I was to ever go back there, it would purely be for that road. Hopefully, next time I'll have something better than the beat up 125cc motorbike I bought.

In the grand scheme of things, the road is probably typical of nice mountain roads in Europe, so it is not solely worth visiting the area for as I'm sure many nicer roads can be found. I have been to portugal before and can remember an area I thought would make a really nice street circuit. I'd have to ask my parents where it was though.

Peter's a man. Don't you forget it. :eek:

I didn't laugh at the fact that he wanted to cry, I found the way he said that just very amusing, I laughed at the post.

I guess it's ok for men to cry.

Sorry for off-topic but I don't want that others think I would try to belittle somebody here.

Latest Posts

Back