[PC] DCS 1.5 & 2.0 Open Alpha

Well I'm back from my long trip. If you buy the presale MiG 21 is it just the beta aircraft? Or will it get replaced with a finished version if you pre purchase?

Well I'm back from my long trip. If you buy the presale MiG 21 is it just the beta aircraft? Or will it get replaced with a finished version if you pre purchase?

I assume it'll be replaced otherwise I'd be very pissed... Don't think they force you into buying it twice.

Sooo Leatherneck just announced they are going to make the de Havilland Vampire and Gloster Meteor
smiley_woot.gif

Wow DCS modules are seriously picking up pace.

Yeah they are.. Good for us!

I'm tempted to buy the MiG-21 but I feel I can't enjoy it much without TrackIR. And I'm not sure when to buy TrackIR because I'm pretty busy still. Maybe when winter begins...

At this point I can really only think of one other plane I really want but hasn't been announced yet...

US_Navy_051105-F-5480T-015_An_F-14D_Tomcat%2C_conducts_a_mission_over_the_Persian_Gulf-region.jpg

That along with the F-18 that's already on the way would be amazing.

edit: Actually some more WWII planes would be cool. Like the Hurricane, Corsair, Zero, Hellcat, etc.

It feels like DCS is losing it's direction, it was always about the modern battlefield, and now they're adding in all these WW2 and Vietnam era aircraft.

At the very least they should be focusing on getting the F-15 and the SU-27 up to the full fidelity level.
What use is a Mustang or MiG-21 when there's nothing to face them against.

It feels like DCS is losing it's direction, it was always about the modern battlefield, and now they're adding in all these WW2 and Vietnam era aircraft.

At the very least they should be focusing on getting the F-15 and the SU-27 up to the full fidelity level.
This x1000. I'll be honest, I never wanted to see all these WW2 planes in the same game. Maybe a separate DCS World "European" or "Vietnamese" expansion would be cool. But I don't remember Sabres and Fw 190's flying over Georgia in 2008 :rolleyes:. With an exception to the MiG 21 as I categorize that as a modern fighter (just because it's still actively used today though it may be outdated).

I don't mind so much that there are WW2 planes in DCS as long as the goal is modern era. Maybe they try to earn some money they need for the newer era planes, I can imagine those newer ones are more difficult to develop.

To continue with the wish list, personally I think an F16 would be awesome. I like F16 more than F14 or F18 because that is what we are flying at home. And I just adore the clean look of it's body (without the external fuel tanks). F16 rule the Baltic now too!

The F15 already had an advanced flight model right? I never flown with Su-27 since the beginning because the flight model conflicts my flying. It enables flaps and what not when I don't want it :irked: Is the Su-33 flight model the same? I sometimes try to land on the carrier with it but I keep crashing. It's pretty hard :indiff:

I was searching on Google a bit for third generation fighter jets and came by the Tornado. It's still operative, heavily used by the Germans and from 1985 so not that old yet.

DSC_0064
by Carlos, on Flickr

DSC_0067
by Carlos, on Flickr

EDIT;
I'm going to fly today with some Dutch guys, the plan is to set up our own server + Teamspeak. I would like if anyone from here joins us :D

Last edited:

I like the extra planes because reasons :P It seems like they're not losing direction as much as they are just splitting it into three eras to keep content coming and to really make it a diverse game/simulation. As long as they don't completely abandon one thing at the expense of another, which doesn't seem to be the case to me, I'm totally cool with it.

ED have stated more than once that DCS isn't about the modern battlefield, that was never the goal. Although, that has been their focus continually. The WWII modules were a 3rd party project. It was extremely popular and took fan money in its development. Then it collapsed. ED took over to prevent a disastrous loss in fan loyalty. In the process they gained more employees by absorbing the 3rd party team. Speaking of 3rd parties, the majority of "old" modules is coming from them. If ED decided not to accept anything before 1990, it's not as if that would devote all of the developers to making modern equipment. They just might not bother. FSX is retaining many devs because it's easier to code for allegedly.

The P-51 and MiG-21 are very usable. Aircraft can have long lives and many roles. You can't recreate WWII in the current theater (although the map is the location of the farthest German advance in WWII against the Russians who were equipped with a handful of P-51's). but you can create very plausible Cold War situations. The current map was the border of the USSR, had the US and USSR gone to war, it would have been a battlefield. This goes for 1950-1990.

This x1000. I'll be honest, I never wanted to see all these WW2 planes in the same game. Maybe a separate DCS World "European" or "Vietnamese" expansion would be cool. But I don't remember Sabres and Fw 190's flying over Georgia in 2008 :rolleyes:. With an exception to the MiG 21 as I categorize that as a modern fighter (just because it's still actively used today though it may be outdated).

A separate expansion would be a waste of resources in my opinion. With all the modules in DCS, there is no need to juggle different programs to use different aircraft and on ED's end there is no need to have multiple patches and feature lists to balance and debug.

The map isn't limited to 2008 and if you look at the airfield data, there's probably a wide range of years mixed and matched together. A lot of the civilian airports are scattered with military bunkers, etc. A 1950's scenario with Sabres over Georgia is pretty credible. If you don't mind ignoring the map, know that P-51's were in military service until about 1985 and the F-86 up into the 90's.

More modern modules are coming. They naturally demand more time and resources compared to simpler planes. This means you're going to have to wait for them. You would have to wait even if no one was doing WWII aircraft.

Nice pics @GregTheStig , but left shift + f10 if I remember correctly :D

edit:
15155457579_1732ac46fd_o.jpg

15155687927_7a5c517e58_o.jpg

15155687687_ff6a013ee7_o.jpg

Had some fun :P If you bomb them and you quit the game it says you committed fratricide :embarrassed: "You have lost all your combat scores."

edit;
Bored? Noooo!
15155799449_5b10e3bc25_o.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so I'm having some trouble, I downloaded the MiG 21 module (not purchased yet just so I can have the content locally when I buy it). I had no trouble adding the module to DCS World but I can't seem to add it to DCS Open Beta. The installer for MiG 21 says: "DCS Version 1.2.10 must be installed" :confused: But that's what I'm running...

Edit 2: Alright so I just decided I'm going to uninstall everything and start fresh. But now I'm wondering if I should download DCS from steam or from ED's website. Which one should I go for?

Last edited:
As far as I know, DCS version will accept everything. Steam version will only accept Steam. I run DCS version exclusively.

As for the MiG-21 issue, are you installing with the manager or manually? If manually, both versions might be 1.2.10, but that version has been patched already. Either DCSW or the MiG might be 1.2.10 patch and other pre-patch.

That may be the case @Exorcet I'm currently downloading the standalone.

Edit: Ok great! I finally reinstalled everything on my new HDD and DCS is working perfectly (for like the first time :rolleyes:. I should have down this months ago).

Last edited:
Yeah don't think it matters how you take screenshots, but left shift + f10 disables aircraft labels so you don't have that blue text through your screenshots.

@terminator363
How does she fly? :D
She flies good (my Ka50 & Su25T) :lol:. I really want that MiG but the price is too steep for my cheap ass...

Also hit me up when you guys are playing, I want to wreck people online :lol:

Last edited:
@Carlos thanks!

Also hit me up when you guys are playing, I want to wreck people online :lol:

I volunteer haha. Well, might be a while. My network has been unstable as crap all week. Big time packet loss happens at random. It was impossible to play Gmod with my friends last Sunday. If anything changes between now and the weekend, I'll let you all know when I'm about to go online :D

Also... F-86 Sabre. Worth it?

I volunteer haha. Well, might be a while. My network has been unstable as crap all week. Big time packet loss happens at random. It was impossible to play Gmod with my friends last Sunday. If anything changes between now and the weekend, I'll let you all know when I'm about to go online :D

Also... F-86 Sabre. Worth it?

Probably not :indiff:. It doesn't seem that interesting as a standalone module IMHO.

I'm afraid for that too... And still a bit too old :embarrassed:

I want to go flying today. I'm ready to go in 2 to 3 hours, is there a possibility you guys can come? Then I can play for 5, 6 hours straight :D

Latest Posts

Back