Fully ignore user

• Thread starter Bopop4
  • 42 comments
Canada
Guelph, Ontario
I know that when you ignore a user it hides their posts from you, but you can still see that they posted.

It'll say that "ignored member" posted and in the thread it will ask if you want to show ignored content.

I don't want to see the ignored content notification. , I want to totally block any existence of anyone I ignore.

Any way to do this?

What about statuses and conversations? You can still see postings from people you ignore there.

I want to totally block any existence of anyone I ignore.

Any way to do this?

I believe doing that would break fundamental structuring for viewing a forum. Post count # at the top right of each post would be different for you, and that would also change the number of pages, as well as total post count in the sub forums. The member/post/view count on the index wouldn't be accurate either.

Of course you can still make this all happen, but based on what I know about web dev., that's way too much code to type, run and store in memory per each user's preference.

I believe doing that would break fundamental structuring for viewing a forum. Post count # at the top right of each post would be different for you, and that would also change the number of pages, as well as total post count in the sub forums. The member/post/view count on the index wouldn't be accurate either.

Of course you can still make this all happen, but based on what I know about web dev., that's way too much code to type, run and store in memory per each user's preference.

No, you would skip numbers. So if the ignored guy's post is #5, then that post number would be skipped. ;)

It would not only be noticeable, it would probably also mess up the coding on the page used to number each post in chronological order.

Let's use this thread for example. Suppose you put KingJosh on ignore, Post #3 on your account would've been made by the next post- Jordan in this case. On every other person's account, post #3 would've been made by KingJosh. There would be conflicts unless that post is not seen by everyone.

I can't see "Post 1, post 2, post 4" happening. How would you structure code to do that?

It would not only be noticeable, it would probably also mess up the coding on the page used to number each post in chronological order.

Let's use this thread for example. Suppose you put KingJosh on ignore, Post #3 on your account would've been made by the next post- Jordan in this case. On every other person's account, post #3 would've been made by KingJosh. There would be conflicts unless that post is not seen by everyone.

I can't see "Post 1, post 2, post 4" happening. How would you structure code to do that?
I've just deleted your post, previously #5. Observe...

Also note that I can still see it. It would simply depend on your user permissions.

I understand that deleting would work, because that's a universal change for everyone. Ignoring users isn't though as that is up to user preference.

I understand that deleting would work, because that's a universal change for everyone. Ignoring users isn't though as that is up to user preference.
I'm not exactly sure I'm answering or providing helpful information, but....
screencapture-www-gtplanet-net-forum-threads-fully-ignore-user-318265.png

If you look at it (I ignored you, AOS- for a minute) it just skips over number 6. I hope my response was helpful.

The current ignore function obviously isn't going to do that. I was talking about Bepop's suggestion of removing that post completely from view if a user so chooses to target specific users.

I'll pass on further discussion. Doesn't seem what I'm trying to say is being understood.

The current ignore function obviously isn't going to do that. I was talking about Bepop's suggestion of removing that post completely from view if a user so chooses to target specific users.

I'll pass on further discussion. Doesn't seem what I'm trying to say is being understood.
Oh, I know what you're talking about now. This button (I don't think you'd notice the post number, nor can you change it. That'd cause mass confusion.):
ignore content.jpg

Yeah, I'd be nice to wipe people from view without knowing they're there, but that is like a core feature (correct me if necessary) which would require XenForo devs.

Th last 3 times somebody's quoted me they have without fail misspelled my name. It's not the anime.

Oh, I know what you're talking about now. This button (I don't think you'd notice the post number, nor can you change it. That'd cause mass confusion.):
View attachment 237869
Yeah, I'd be nice to wipe people from view without knowing they're there, but that is like a core feature (correct me if necessary) which would require XenForo devs.

Yeah, that button.
The only reason that I ignore people is because the sheer stupidity makes my head hurt, being reminded that they exist doesn't help it any. I understand that it can't be removed, but it would be nice.

I understand that deleting would work, because that's a universal change for everyone.
Nope:
Also note that I can still see it.
Your permissions don't allow you to see it, mine do. In terms of how the forum deals with posts that are present for some but absent for others, permissions (user groups) and preferences (ignore list) would behave identically.

I know that when you ignore a user it hides their posts from you, but you can still see that they posted.

It'll say that "ignored member" posted and in the thread it will ask if you want to show ignored content.

I don't want to see the ignored content notification. , I want to totally block any existence of anyone I ignore.

Any way to do this?

Try installing Adblock for Google Chrome, then highlighting their name and avatar as ads. Adblock will block both each time they appear on a page, though it's not 100% effective. Instead of seeing their name when they like a post, there'll simply be a blank space, so instead of 'so and so likes this', it just turns into 'likes this'. Of course, if you block several people with Adblock, you'll really have no idea who liked a particular post.

Forgive me, but is this not just a little bit... petty?

If it's got to the point where you want someone's existence to be wiped off the face of the earth so that there isn't even an inconspicuous button at the bottom (let's be honest, it's hardly intrusive), then maybe you have bigger problems than whether or not you can see a grey button?

Try installing Adblock for Google Chrome, then highlighting their name and avatar as ads. Adblock will block both each time they appear on a page, though it's not 100% effective. Instead of seeing their name when they like a post, there'll simply be a blank space, so instead of 'so and so likes this', it just turns into 'likes this'. Of course, if you block several people with Adblock, you'll really have no idea who liked a particular post.
Oh wow. You're a genius! 👍 It even works on the "Show Ignored Content" button! :)

Forgive me, but is this not just a little bit... petty?

If it's got to the point where you want someone's existence to be wiped off the face of the earth so that there isn't even an inconspicuous button at the bottom (let's be honest, it's hardly intrusive), then maybe you have bigger problems than whether or not you can see a grey button?
Seeing that button adds curiosity that makes you click it, and yes, some people do need to be wiped from the face of GTPlanet, not the Earth.

But if you're curious about what someone has to say often enough that it requires the removal of a button so you don't, doesn't that defeat the point of the Ignore feature altogether?
Well, the person I ignore likes to talk about me specifically, so seeing that button just reintroduces the anger that I have against that person. I can't ignore it if I know it's there.

Just be glad you can ignore members.

The mods cant, if a member had an offending post that goes ignored because a mod has them ignored.
The mod system wouldn't work well.

You can click on the "show ignored content" button and it'll go away, which pretty much solves the problem in this thread.

...and yes, some people do need to be wiped from the face of GTPlanet, not the Earth.

The only folks that need to be removed from GTP are those that break the AUP repeatedly. Otherwise, it tends to be differences of opinions.

FWIW, I echo @Danny's sentiments. Not that I can use the Ignore function even if I wanted to.

Back