Game of Thrones - Caution: contains spoilers & dragonsTV 

• Thread starter Villain
  • 862 comments
They can cry a river - the show is following the books. Speaking of which, I was inches from clicking "add to cart" on Amazon for the whole set, but I decided that I'm going to wait until the next book comes out in July and then hopefully there will be a nice bundle of them for purchase.

I like a storyteller who's not afraid to end a main characters' story arc abruptly, and this show only has a million main characters so that in itself makes them expendable. No character should be considered "invincible" just because they are a primary protagonist. It's not like other shows like Spartacus where if he or Crixxus were caught up in an intense match you know the two of them are going to make it out of the situation.

They can cry a river - the show is following the books. Speaking of which, I was inches from clicking "add to cart" on Amazon for the whole set, but I decided that I'm going to wait until the next book comes out in July and then hopefully there will be a nice bundle of them for purchase.

I like a storyteller who's not afraid to end a main characters' story arc abruptly, and this show only has a million main characters so that in itself makes them expendable. No character should be considered "invincible" just because they are a primary protagonist. It's not like other shows like Spartacus where if he or Crixxus were caught up in an intense match you know the two of them are going to make it out of the situation.

I would think that plays well also for HBO as salaries will have no chance to spiral out of control like many of their other series. Pretty much every good show HBO has done, ended abruptly when demands for more cash were not met, hopefully that doesnt happen in this series.

@Gabkicks - Can you set a link to that video instead of embedding it? The title itself is a huge spoiler.

Tyrion-Lannister-game-of-thrones-17284567-1416-2128.jpg

Tyrion Lannister is one of my favorite characters. 👍

Even though it won't be here until Spring 2012 - it's already time to get excited for Season 2...

Gerard Butler will play Stannis Baratheon.

Casting News

Stannis, Melisandre

Davos

Asha

Brienne

Also, I really didn't like the newest book in the series (A Dance with Dragons, go read the Amazon reviews). Looked like Martin was twiddling his thumbs about where to go next.

In any case, I regret reading the books after watching a few episodes of the 1st season. I think I might have enjoyed the TV series more rather than be depressed by the books.

Hey guys, I've seen the first 5 or so episodes of the TV show (twice through actually lol) and I'm really liking it so far. I don't normally like the fantasy genre, but everything seems really well done. Tyrian is fantastic, every time he's in the scene :P I've got a few friends who are reading the books, they also like them a lot. I wonder how this will affect future works by the people who worked on the show, and the author... Hopefully we'll see more quality stuff :)

Hey guys, I've seen the first 5 or so episodes of the TV show (twice through actually lol) and I'm really liking it so far. I don't normally like the fantasy genre, but everything seems really well done. Tyrian is fantastic, every time he's in the scene :P I've got a few friends who are reading the books, they also like them a lot. I wonder how this will affect future works by the people who worked on the show, and the author... Hopefully we'll see more quality stuff :)

I feel bad for your friends, because this quite possibly is the only series I've come across where the TV/film adaptation is better than the written thing.

(Except for Miss Shae of course)

Just started watching this last night after figuring out that HBOGo was free with HBO..

The first episode was amazing, when I get home I'm going to watch more of it.

Sometimes the adaptations are helpful to see whether you would actually like to read the books. Like 'Legend of the Seeker' last year, I wasn't impressed by the adaptation so I'm not reading the books.

Besides these 7 to 11 book sagas really irritate me. At a certain point it stops feeling like an epic and more like a soap opera.

Having read all of Terry Goodkind's 'Seeker' books I was looking forward to the series. I watched half an hour before turning off in disgust. Absolute rubbish!:yuck:

I know you say you don't like saga's, but have you tried Richard Jordan's Wheel Of Time series, or L E Modesitt Jnr's Recluse books?

Peter Dinklage won an Emmy last night for his role as the most clever person in House Lannister. Well deserved!

:cheers:

Having read all of Terry Goodkind's 'Seeker' books I was looking forward to the series. I watched half an hour before turning off in disgust. Absolute rubbish!:yuck:

I know you say you don't like saga's, but have you tried Richard Jordan's Wheel Of Time series, or L E Modesitt Jnr's Recluse books?

Jordan's WOT has a bad reputation so that has kept me off it, besides I don't want to read another Game of Thrones/ASoIaF slogfest. Haven't heard of Modesitt though, I'll check it out.

An author will have to try really hard to convince me that a 10 book series is not just a money minting exercise. Or that the story is not like butter scraped over too much bread.

I'm so disappointed in this forum... Is everyone too busy watching My Little Pony that they can't make time for the TV adaption of ASOIAF?

Just finished season 1. Very good show. Destroying my appetite for network television actually.

I'm so disappointed in this forum... Is everyone too busy watching My Little Pony that they can't make time for the TV adaption of ASOIAF?

:lol:

I've been keeping up with Season 2. What a fantastic series. I'm a little behind on the books as I'm still only on the first chapter of the the second one, but I've read that there was some uproar regarding a dramatic deviation from the books considering how relatively faithful the adaptation was is season 1.

Regarding the theft of the dragons. Curious to understand why they developed this sub plot, possibly padding to extend the series by a few episodes?

I don't understand it either. I like how they did it in the books better

Season 3 starts here on Easter Monday, and seasons 1 and 2 will be available on demand on Sky from that date too. We've decided to watch both seasons again before the first episode of season 3, so it looks like a very lazy Easter Monday for us! :)

I've caught up with S1 & S2, and I've noticed that...

HBO have really diverged from the books. I hope a certain Red thing doesn't happen in S3.

DK
I've caught up with S1 & S2, and I've noticed that...

Having read all the books, I can only agree. I still think HBO has made a fantastic job of turning them into a series, though. :)

Back