Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
The audio files themselves still need work (Every Modern V12 Lambo sounding like a Gallardo, the Sauber C9 not sounding like a V8, the FXX sounding like a tuned V6, the Quattro S1 sounding like a GT-R), but the new effects are a step forward in my opinion.
The audio files are a dead end in PD's plans. It's all going the way of the Viziv. It'd have been nice if they fixed the sample allocation as well, but they obviously didn't think they'd still be relying on them.

The audio files are a dead end in PD's plans. It's all going the way of the Viziv. It'd have been nice if they fixed the sample allocation as well, but they obviously didn't think they'd still be relying on them.
I think that if they go through a method that involves creating new, better audio files to use themselves, they can do more with them.

They haven't created new audio files, try to understand that.
I know they haven't yet. Hence why the cars sound the same, and only the new ones sporadically contain a new file or heavily modified version of an older file.

I know they haven't yet. Hence why the cars sound the same, and only the new ones sporadically contain a new file or heavily modified version of an older file.
What Griffith is trying to say I believe, is that there will be no sound files in the future. The generation of sounds will be completely organic, no samples at all. The software will be inputted with the number of cylinders, firing order, valve timing etc...literally hundreds or parameters that affect engine and other sound generation, then the sound software in the game will generate that sound organically, from the ground up, no samples.

Currently the Viziv and Redbulls are examples of this, but the rest of the cars still rely on samples. Likely only with GT7 will you get the full sound package...if it's fully ready by then. PD is forging new ground in this regard because every other game still relies on samples.

What Griffith is trying to say I believe, is that there will be no sound files in the future. The generation of sounds will be completely organic, no samples at all. The software will be inputted with the number of cylinders, firing order, valve timing etc...literally hundreds or parameters that affect engine and other sound generation, then the sound software in the game will generate that sound organically, from the ground up, no samples.

Currently the Viziv and Redbulls are examples of this, but the rest of the cars still rely on samples. Likely only with GT7 will you get the full sound package...if it's fully ready by then. PD is forging new ground in this regard because every other game still relies on samples.
What I'm trying to say myself as in creating their own samples is that they'll just create their own in-house soundbytes for each machine like you say. I think I came across differently.

What I'm trying to say myself as in creating their own samples is that they'll just create their own in-house soundbytes for each machine like you say. I think I came across differently.
But there won't be any "soundbytes" if you are referring to a data bank of sounds they create on their own. The new sound engine creates the sounds on the fly, in real time, as it happens, just like a real car. No more samples. They are attempting to program a virtual sound engine, not a sound engine that works with samples and manipulates them.

Liken it to the physics engine. You have hundreds of parameters for the car, the track etc. As the car moves around the track in real time, the physics engine processes your inputs and the resulting car/track dynamics in real time. There is no physics sample that says for example, "ok when driving in a straight line copy and paste these parameters and adjust for speed". It's all done in real time, and the sound engine will be the same.

But there won't be any "soundbytes" if you are referring to a data bank of sounds they create on their own. The new sound engine creates the sounds on the fly, in real time, as it happens, just like a real car. No more samples. They are attempting to program a virtual sound engine, not a sound engine that works with samples and manipulates them.
In that case it's a brillliant idea.

Let's wait and see first if "the revolution in sound design" is upon us.
If i have to go by the Viziv and Red Bull sounds i'm still not convinced, sure they sound more bassy and throatier than before but they still don't sound very natural to me. They are that loud that they almost hurt the ears let's say.

Last edited:
Let's wait and see first if "the revolution in sound design" is upon us.
If i have to go by the Viziv and Red Bull sounds i'm still not convinced, sure they sound more bassy and throatier than before but they still don't sound very natural to me. They are that loud that they almost hurt the ears let's say.
Atleast they're an improvement over the original set of sounds somewhat. And the cars they've been used on so far are very loud machines by nature.

Atleast they're an improvement over the original set of sounds somewhat. And the cars they've been used on so far are very loud machines by nature.
True, at least they are finally trying to change their sound design which is a first in 15 years. I hope you won't need earplugs to enjoy it though :)

Interesting to read that they won't be using samples.

Like many I am hoping for better sounds, but I also want proper induction noise and from a race exhaust on the over run I want the popping and banging that you get with a highly tuned engine running on carbs, At the moment the sounds lack character. I hope that the new sound model doesn't mean better sounds, but still ones that lack the character of a real engine.

Listen to this 1964 Cobra with a 289 Ford V8 and notice the snap, crackle and pop on the over run - intoxicating!

And this modern GT3 Porsche - plenty of pops and crackles on the down shifts - mesmerizing driving!

Last edited:

Yes - well spotted for the typos, which have now been corrected - to clarify, when you fit a race exhaust and induction kit on a real car you get more induction roar and pops and bangs from the exhaust on the over run - at the moment the cars have no induction roar. If I fit a race exhaust the cars don't sound like the same type any more and often switch configurations so for instance the Jaguar E Type goes from a 6 cylinder to a 4 cylinder sample.

They have to get the sounds right for the basic car and also for the various models of race exhaust and inlet tuning - I expect an untuned car to sound like the car in real life and a fully tuned one to sound like a race car - i.e. angry, snarling, spitting, popping and banging on the over run and I hope the new model for creating sounds doesn't produce a characterless, unrealistic sound which is just a louder, more distorted version of the basic sound. Some of the new sounds have gone down that distorted route and lack the character of a real engine.

No doubt all part of Kazonori's vision of human drama.

I did the Italian Seasonal and as soon as I began, I finally found the perfect car sample to fix the BMW Z4 GT3: The Alfa Romeo 8C:

I think that would be a far better paste job then that nascar sample someone used a while ago.

Connect your preferred sound source to this video. Headphones, surround, whatever. Hit PLAY, then close your eyes and listen. Which one would you rather drive in game? There's your answer. :D

There's something about that PCars sound that feels disconnected from the gameplay itself, and it feels really weird to me. It sounds better than GT's R8 LMS Ultra nevertheless but it's really uncanny valley in my opinion.

Last edited:
There's something about that PCars sound that feels disconnected from the gameplay itself, and it feels really weird to me. It sounds better than GT's R8 LMS Ultra nevertheless but it's really uncanny valley in my opinion.
I find all the floating rear view cams sound funny and look funny because it's totally unnatural vs. real life. Point of the video though was to answer @Harsk100 's question of whether the exhaust sample should stay or go from GT6.

Last edited:
I find most of the time that any video with the camera placed floating behind the car is going to sound disconnected because it doesn't happen in real life. Does this sound disconnected to you as well and what are you listening to it with?:

A bit better, but still feels slightly uncanny, like if they just recorded a video of the real car and just synced it with the car in the game. This was far more apparent in the first video.

I feel that most racing games somehow connect the sound to the machine in a way that feels natural to the gameplay (Even GT does this despite most cars not sounding that great). This game however, sounds slightly disconnected in that aspect, no matter how good the audio by itself is.

BTW I'm on headphones.

So I guess the recent 1.15 updates brought a new machine to the table that may possibly use this AES method: The Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo has an exceptional rotary sound that sounds much better than the 787B.

Back