Gran Turismo 6 AI discussion

• Thread starter JBanton
  • 803 comments
I mean Arcade mode, professional level
In GT5 I did not find much rubber banding. It was possible that I would not place in top 3 in a 5 lap race.
In GT6, it's given, you can give the AI a 30 second head start and your not going to come last....

Yeah I see what you're going with this and I think there is signs of Rubber banding, however I think there will be atleast one car in a race that will keep fighting you hard and overtake (or attempt)in more areas than GT5 which is more enjoyable than in GT5.

I was kind of surprised when I did the 10-minute races and the Polyphony Digital Cup in IB last night. I think the restrictions are 530 and 500 PPs and I didn't go that far under the limit (used a stock SL55 and a Supra respectively and with the best tyres allowed no less!), and what I found were some races where the AI were roughly the same speed as me (only about 2-3 seconds slower) and going through corners almost at the same speed as I was able to. No easy going around the outside in corners possible, which was especially nice in Willow Springs long fast corners. Made my time mostly by braking later, but that was to be expected. Finished some races there with less than 5 seconds ahead, although I did not make any big mistakes, and I noticed no slow-down of AI early on.

Those were by far the best races so far in a-spec mode.

I'm really liking the new AI.

Sometimes it's just plain stupid and brutal... the goddamn Camaro on the NA Challenge spun me 4-5 times in the Suzuka race... I was so angry, but happy at the same time: at least now it's fun! We got a challenge.

I am really hoping this is a 'making the best of an atrocious situation' comment!

I was kind of surprised when I did the 10-minute races and the Polyphony Digital Cup in IB last night. I think the restrictions are 530 and 500 PPs and I didn't go that far under the limit (used a stock SL55 and a Supra respectively and with the best tyres allowed no less!)
Try again with the tyres the car had on it when you buy it ! (this are also the ones the opponents use)

The best allowed are 2 or 3 steps better/faster. (Best allowed sport soft ?, most cars have comfort soft or sport hard)

I bet the opponents will drive away from you for the first half of the race, then you will magically come closer again until you are 1st.
If you watch the replay you will see that it is no magic, just your opponents forget how to drive fast.

The AI in gt6 needs improvement!! First the AI drives like an ARCADE game when its suppose to be a simulating game. They will just hit you on your way on a corner to just hit you if your in the assist line and theyre trying to get through, will not go around but they will just hit you out of the way.

second, every race you are place like last to start and by the time you get to drive they are already at the end of the track corner, but every lap, they drive slower and slower until you are first.

I had a lot of fun just watching the variety of AI on Ascari 10 laps. I especially became fixated on a Mustang Cobra that was struggling mightily. A corvette was behind him for about 2 laps; the Mustang would start skidding, but the Corvette kept reacting differently. It avoided hitting him completely. It would avoid him and start sliding itself. It bumped into him, and then backed off, letting him recover. Hit him a little harder and tried to get by, but failed. Finally, it got in underneath him in a corner and passed him cleanly. After that, the Mustang didn't seem to be putting up much of a fight with the other 2 cars that were behind and just seemed to let them by like he knew his tires were dead. Of course, I have no idea whether that was all actually the AI being quite human-like, or just me reading too much into it.

Is this where we come to complain about how pathetic the AI can be sometimes?
MISSION IB5
The Murcielago has spun me out dozen times right before the finish line. I literally slam into the wall meters before the finish line. Whether I stay inside, outside, or middle, he punts me in the back sending me into the wall.
It was only happening at the end of lap 2 and at end of lap 1 at the same spot he was reacting to where I was. After while, it started happening at end of lap 1 as well. The worst part is no matter how far behind he is at the final curve, he catches up immediately and bam...

I don't like winning races easily - like many of you on this thread. For the career races (I'm only up to National A), I've been using stock (or down-powered) cars with basic tyres, no aids at all, and 80pp to 160pp lower than the max allowed. And I've had a lot of easy wins, but I've also had some challenges.

My question: do you think it'd be a good idea to start a thread, something like "The make-career-races-challenging thread!" where participants can post details (PP, tyres, car model) that they've used in career races where they've actually had an exciting, challenging race (that had to be restarted multiple times before they could win, or where you come second by a narrow margin, sort of thing)?

What do you think?

I'd be willing to start it up (don't actually know how to start a thread though, can't be rocket science, I suppose)

Is this where we come to complain about how pathetic the AI can be sometimes?
MISSION IB5
The Murcielago has spun me out dozen times right before the finish line. I literally slam into the wall meters before the finish line. Whether I stay inside, outside, or middle, he punts me in the back sending me into the wall.
It was only happening at the end of lap 2 and at end of lap 1 at the same spot he was reacting to where I was. After while, it started happening at end of lap 1 as well. The worst part is no matter how far behind he is at the final curve, he catches up immediately and bam...
Wow this new AI is really spicing up the races! Great programming :lol:

I had a lot of fun just watching the variety of AI on Ascari 10 laps. I especially became fixated on a Mustang Cobra that was struggling mightily... (etc)
I've noticed this as well. The bots in GT5 would occasionally fight each other for position, but they do it routinely in GT6. I know they still need work, such as their notorious overbraking and other brain cramp behavior, but as others have said, handicap yourself some, and you can end up with some replay save worthy moments with the A.I.

Nascar AI is a nightmare they always ram YOU and YOU only ,sending you kissing the wall at 280km/h ....and then no way to catch them its really getting annoying as ****

In IB with races heading up to 5 or more laps I'm seeing a pattern emerge: the AI is clearly adaptive to your speeds, but the scripted pattern is starting to get on my nerves.

It goes like this:
Start: slow AI, overtake half the field at least in the first lap
Lap 2+: Front 2-3 AI suddenly speeds up, builds gap
2 laps before end of race: AI slows down, suddenly really slow cornering speed
Last lap: as soon as you take the lead the second place AI zooms up behind you, and stays swerving around right behind you until the end of the race, or hits you if you don't drive defensively enough.

After seeing this same "script" happen in at least 10 IB series races, I tried a 5 lapper arcade single race and saw more of the same behaviour. I'm really not impressed. Please PD give us the option to turn off "adaptive AI". Better still, give us AI like the single race practice mode AI from GT5 which was able to take a standing start and race quite nicely (if a little slow).

I must have been lucky. Others seem to be having aggressive AI in IB-5:
I don't think aggressive is the right word. Poorly coded or blind or potato might be better terms.
Even when he avoids you, you can see it's a last second sort of thing. He charges at you full speed, with many options to go around, but at the last second decides to slam on the brakes.
Anyway, it was irritating but also very rewarding. These mission races are much more satisfying than any career race I've run thus far.

I'm working on Mission S-5 right now. It's the typical scenario, the opponent is slow when in front, cutting you off and brake checking you on the straights, then ramming you, side swiping you, and pitting you when behind.

But this time, you can't see him because it's a pitch-black night lap at the Nordschleife!

Again I spent 6 minutes in a night race in national A with the piece of crap audi tts and I get decked off the track the last turn and wound up in second place.

Only happens to me.

So now I downgraded my Hyundai Genesis to 450pp a lot faster than that audi and suddenly the AI is flying by me and conveniently on a straight I get hit from behind and spun out.

**** this game I'm done there is no alternative car for this moronic 450pp drivel.

I had a great battle with the A.I. in iB, the Japanese Tour I think. I was racing against the ZZ-II in my GTR Black Edition. It was super close, I had a blast.

The AI in this game just bother me. I mean does anybody else just get frustrated with how they behave? They slow down to let you catch up: just to spin you out and drive aggressively when you pass them.

And that makes it look like I may have turned early but this one shows that I was heading in a straight line when It turned into me!!

Just drive defensive lines once ahead. Kind of like you'd drive in a random online race: always take the inside line, never turn in from the outside of the corner..

The AI seems to be programmed to sit behind you and pressure a mistake, rather than flying by. So you can slow down and be defensive and "safe" on the last lap if you want.

To be honest i'm playing GT6 since last Sunday and i'm enjoying it a lot, the funny thing is that i am winning most of the races now with stock cars (never did it even with Gran Turismo 1 when i was always changing something in my car after few races in High Speed Ring ) and i'm saving my credits for better cars in the future, so i cannot complain about AI that yes... it's not the best you can have but still better than GT5. I had a couple of 'battles' with other cars and i did enjoy it, hopefully this thing about AI waiting for you will be changed... ( i'm a dreamer :ouch: ).

I do understand that playing with a stock car with a ridiculous low PP level is not that great but goddamn as long as i can have some kind of fun with AI cars i'll keep doing it. And also if i really wanna have a real challenge i know that only the online mode + a proper organized championship is the answer ;)

If you follow them round for a lap or 2 you see the AI driving style is... Approach corner, brake early in a straight line, stop braking before the turn in point, pick up the throttle again, turn in, approach the apex, brake again, then accelerate out of the corner.

They are hopeless.

Back