Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
I disagree with that. While Horizon doesn't feel like Ridge Racer or something like that it is nowhere near the level of Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport, in fact Shift 2: Unleashed felt better to me. There is a few realistic parts in Horizon but I personally don't think the game is realistic.

Shift 2 feels better? We'll defenitely have to disagree then. In Shift 2, I found cars have a floatiness to them. The input lag this game is known for doesn't help either, which eventually caused me to stop playing.

Yes, Horizon is not quite as realistic as GT and FM (even though Horizon does have torque steer while GT5 doesn't) but it's definitely in a league of its own as far as free roam racing games are concerned. I wouldn't put it in the same basket as NFS and Midnight Club.

Last edited:
I'm sure KYs vision stretches beyond GT5 despite your aforementioned reference.
Without a doubt. This is just too great/LARGE of a feature to consider free roam being a possibility with a location like Andalucia. It seems like it should be possible, but then it doesn't. I mean, we're still wondering if Andalucia will cover 2,500 suare miles. We have to wait for confirmation.

Free roam is not all that IMO

I'd rather have a course so you do have direction, just make it very long, ie a Targa style "race course"

Free roam is not all that IMO

I'd rather have a course so you do have direction, just make it very long, ie a Targa style "race course"

The good thing is that PD seem to think that both are important, which is nice. I'm not expecting both "regimes" are possible in every "location", but I think if the existing (GT5) Course Maker is expanded to terrains of 2500 km², then we could get some very long circuits.

It would be madness if Ronda / Andalucía (still not sure what to call it, because Ronda is already only a small part of what we've seen of this area, never mind the 50 x 50 km thing) didn't have an "open mode" to complement the "pick your own course" thing it's supposed to have.

If their new course maker algorithm is (optionally) capable of generating networks of roads, not just single loops or point-to-point (preferably over generated terrain rather than presets as before), for each theme, then it seems both might very well be possible there. If "Ronda" turns out to be gigantic, then large circuits should be selectable from its roads, too. Whatever the threshold for "large" is.

You need see how to react to the physics. With only half of the information being shown you are losing out. It's important in a racing game when you are travelling at speed.
A 30th of a second at 100mph is 1 and a half meters on a track, that is quite a big distance if you are aiming for a specific bit of kerb on an apex.

You need see how to react to the physics. With only half of the information being shown you are losing out. It's important in a racing game when you are travelling at speed.
A 30th of a second at 100mph is 1 and a half meters on a track, that is quite a big distance if you are aiming for a specific bit of kerb on an apex.

Distance is relative to speed though. At 100 MPH, 1,5 meters is nothing.
What matters is time, and 1/30th of a second will always be 1/30th of a second, regardless of the speed you travel at.

Distance is relative to speed though. At 100 MPH, 1,5 meters is nothing.
What matters is time, and 1/30th of a second will always be 1/30th of a second, regardless of the speed you travel at.

And 1.5 meters is always 1.5 meters.
I'm not sure what point you are making, how can 1.5m, meaning 75cm invisible jump compared to 60fps be nothing.
Maybe you are saying you dont mind missing the physics gameplay because you will be driving at 50mph instead of 100mph in Forza Horizon.

Last edited:

You're right and you're wrong.

When you're hotlapping or whatever, you're probably driving on rhythm. Frame rate is basically irrelevant, as long as it's not so low as to be distracting. You can get by on surprisingly low frame rates, just by learning your rhythm.

When you're racing with other people though and the guy in front of you suddenly moves, or jams his brakes on, that's pure reactions. Every fraction of a second lost is a fraction of a second later you react, and a fraction of a second closer to a crash. That's where frame rate can be very important.

Real racing is somewhat of a blend of these two things. Realistically, when you're racing online the variance because of lag is larger than the variance because of frame rate. You're talking hundredths of a second for 60 to 30fps, whereas lag is tenths of a second unless you're playing someone really, really close. You have to allow for the greater delay, so the lesser is really fairly irrelevant.

Really? It's almost an arcade game. Same thing can be said about Drive Club.

A few of us in the Horizon forum have to disagree then, because I'm not the only one who holds this opinion:

I hate it when people over-simply all racing games into two black and white extremes. Is Horizon more unrealistic than Gran Turismo? Sure. Is it less realistic than core Forza Motorsport games? Yes. Is it just as arcadey as Burnout, Need for Speed, or Project Gotham Racing? No. Thusly, it's unfair to equate it to Cruis'n USA or Ridge Racer, but when we just lump games into "arcade" that's what we're doing. Horizon could be a lot more arcadey than it is.

I agree, it's sad how people dumped on this game for being anything less than 100% dedicated to simulation.

To be honest, I would put my vote down as Horizon being more realistic than Gran Turismo. It has the same advantages over GT5 that FM4 has -- torque steer, tire deformation, better oversteer simulation, etc. -- and models the unbalanced characteristics of MR/RR cars more accurately. The tire model in Horizon may be too grippy (while GT has its lower-tier tires), and it may lack details such as tire temperature, but the way cars move about is closer to the real thing.

I guess which details are more important depends on the individual, but it only underscores your point about how everything isn't black and white. 👍

Yesssssss please add free roam in the new gran turismo, it would be soo awesome. It would be just like midnightclub la but way better!!!! And also when i got gt 5 i was so bored in about 3 weeks because all you could do is tune your car and basically just race. The most free roam that was in gt 5 was just to go into the lobby and join peoples races or drifting or drag racing etc.... But if you get free roam soooo many more people would buy the game and lots more ppl would have fun at it.

I think GT7, its is Sooooo possible with Cloud gaming and a much more powerful console to work with. Just look at any next gen title, its possible to add GT6 AND a Tourist Trophy AND a Freerom online mode. Even GTA shows Whats possible on a dated hardware. To stick with being a sim using street cars and cars thats you or i will never driver or legally can not be driven on the street. Would not only be a great feature but one of a kind.

Isn't free roam already confirmed with Ronda Course maker?

I think it would be a good idea considering the Driving Simulator Title in the front cover.

But i would keep it secondary to the racing.

Shift 2 feels better? We'll defenitely have to disagree then. In Shift 2, I found cars have a floatiness to them. The input lag this game is known for doesn't help either, which eventually caused me to stop playing.

Yes, Horizon is not quite as realistic as GT and FM (even though Horizon does have torque steer while GT5 doesn't) but it's definitely in a league of its own as far as Free roam racing games are concerned. I wouldn't put it in the same basket as NFS and Midnight Club.
yeah whilst its physics are much better then other free roam games the pathetic map size sure makes it a league of its own.

The entire purpose of that game is the ability to roam hence the map size is pretty much the primary thing.

Also another thing to make gt6 better; when you buy the suspension for the cars make it lower than -25 cause tht's not rlly low at all. For example in gt5 if u buy anyone of the premium cars like bmw, or mercedes or mazda etc... and then buy the lowest suspension, it only goes down to -25. For some of the cars it looks bad if its not low enough. make it like -35 or something.

i think its a great idea if kept in check by this i mean maybe some sort of mid sized industrial estate with hangers speed bumps variety of diff type of corners banked , hairpin ect ect somehwhere thats just a general not over the top playground to sharpen our skills and **** about lol

yes and no .... Sure why not, but there is definitely more urgent/pressing things to work on at this point than adding Free Roam...

Kaz should make it a habit to come to GTP and check out the Rant threads for ideas to work on... Free Roam can wait...

Oops i forgot to vote... should i say yes or no?? i guess no.

EDIT:
It would be nice, but a complete waste of my time to just roam around...
I already roam around my house doing nothing, do i really want to do it virtually as well ?

humm humm ... such difficult question there.

I would prefer Livery Editor before Free Roam.
Just think about the free roam online ;) like forza horizon!

It would be nice for gran turismo 6 to have free roam like forza horizon, at least to online mode..

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make it open world MMORPG where you have to go through a racing career starting from karting up to any class you fancy.

The open world part would be street cars only with traffic rules and for race cars, you have to find a track. (Them traffic jams). Also you could make your own clubs etc. and host track days and championships (counterpart for raids).

Keep dreaming ._.

But anyway. Yes to free roam.

It would be good if PD could put the Free Roam. I want to make street illegal races, cops, ambulance jobs.... I want to be able to get out a car and do the things like everybody does (drink cofee, buying an house with garage, changing clothes...).

AND ANOTHER THING- I think that all the cars MUST BE CONVERTED TO PREMIUM. Including the R390. Because actually I head that is an EASTER EGG of COCKPIT OF R390.

i dont like a GTA kind of freeroam , BUT being able to "DRIVE" in a city with traffic makes great training exercise IMO!! could be fun! but it will never ever happen. NEVER

It would be good if PD could put the Free Roam. I want to make street illegal races, cops, ambulance jobs.... I want to be able to get out a car and do the things like everybody does (drink cofee, buying an house with garage, changing clothes...).

Y'mean like, life? As someone who can get out and drink coffee, and who has bought a house, and only recently changed clothers, I can't think of anything much more boring. The whole point of games like GT6 is to allow petrolheads a chance to drive a myriad of cars at anti-social speeds in exotic locations. Not drive down to the corner shop for some bread and milk.

It's threads like this that make me very glad that Gran Turismo isn't built by the wishes of the broader fanbase.

Something to rival Forza Horizon yeah why not! Horizon is one of the best car game i've played in the past few years. 👍

That is exactly the point! Horizon is a "game" while GT claims to be the "real driving simulator" - no word about being a game! So we are not expected to have fun with GT - like you should have in a game! And also they didnt mention any kind of "racing" in the title. And then the unchallenging AI makes a lot of sense.

Back