Gran Turismo Racing Kart 125cc Shifter (Tuning and Strategy Guide - International A)

• Thread starter AUAxton
  • 105 comments
Seriously, this is driving me nuts and it just shows how bad/unfair PD's computer opponents are. First they're way faster (which they shouldn't be) and in the end they all brake to let me win (which hasn't worked out so far).

Seriously, this is driving me nuts and it just shows how bad/unfair PD's computer opponents are. First they're way faster (which they shouldn't be) and in the end they all brake to let me win (which hasn't worked out so far in the arena).

Car settings>Body>Ballast Weight and Ballast Position are there. You obviously need to add the weight before you can shift it.:)

Yes, I've done that :)

I find the ballast and ballast position.

But I don't find this

(Front/Rear Weight Distribution - 49:51)

Yes, I've done that :)

I find the ballast and ballast position.

But I don't find this

When moving ballast position/add ballast, you see the distribution change (left upper screen)

I found it most easy to drive using 0 ballast at position -50 (which gives a 46/54 balance) at GT-Arena

It took me two entire evenings but I finally managed to gold all 3 races and win the championship. With a DS3 for those who wonder if it's do-able.

Hi Everyone,

I'm very glad to see that I've been able to help out so many people with this info so far! A lot of great tips as well for drivers that have different styles as well! (Moving Ballast to the Rear to Assist with the Wheel Spin!)

Congratulations to you all that have been able to Gold this Event!

For those that may be losing heart and seeing constant second / third places, my race played out as catching First Place in Corner 1 on the last lap. Many a time before that, I was catching First Place half way into the last lap before switching to Automatic Transmission (I've always played Manual). Go for consistent laps and don't rush your corners or get over excited trying to push past, keep calm and first place will come! 👍

And for those that are still pushing for the Gold on GT Arena, Keep at it! You can do it!

This event (race 3 in GT Arena) is cursed. At least with DS3 controller. You can`t control throttle sensitive enough to not spin around at last corner heading fast to finish line. Plus these devil drivers are pushing from behind, yes. And patience is not my second first name. :lol:

Third place is best here, too.

Hey Monatsende,

I messed around using the DS3 and found something that may be helpful. (Using DS3 with Right Stick as "Up - Throttle" and "Down - Brake")

It may sound strange, but I was able to make more precise adjustments to the throttle if I placed my Thumb at the bottom edge of the controller stick and pushed the right analogue stick up instead of my thumb on top of the stick as I normally would which helped greatly in holding throttle at 70% or so around the final sweeping corner.

The plastic helped in holding my thumb back to make slight adjustments instead of flicking it to full throttle.

(Looking at the picture below, imagine placing your thumb sideways between the plastic and the rubber of the Stick)
images

Hey Monatsende,

I messed around using the DS3 and found something that may be helpful. (Using DS3 with Right Stick as "Up - Throttle" and "Down - Brake")

It may sound strange, but I was able to make more precise adjustments to the throttle if I placed my Thumb at the bottom edge of the controller stick and pushed the right analogue stick up instead of my thumb on top of the stick as I normally would which helped greatly in holding throttle at 70% or so around the final sweeping corner.

The plastic helped in holding my thumb back to make slight adjustments instead of flicking it to full throttle.

(Looking at the picture below, imagine placing your thumb sideways between the plastic and the rubber of the Stick)
images
I already thought about the "stick solution". I`m not used to it because I am an X/▢ DS3 driver since GT1. :lol:
But I guess I will give it a try.

The GT Arena race is driving me ******* crazy. :banghead: I dusted my wheel off, and it didn't really help me. I still fail to get enough power down on the final bend without wheelspin (even get the damn AI driving round me sometimes). :mad: I guess I could try the stick method.

Meanwhile since I got my wheel out I've managed to gold that X1 up Goodwood and golded the IA licences (and below). I still can't drift though.

I.Have.It. I.Cannot.Believe.It.

Overhauled engine with 586PP. 5kg on the rear end. And 140km/h top speed set. Still pushing buttons...

So 🤬 you, karts. I`ll never gonna use you. :lol:

GREAT WORK Monatsende! 👍

I'm still yet to start the Red Bull Karts because of this feeling! :lol:

The Red Bull karting is alot easier than the 125 shifter chamionship. I do that and the junior x car series all the time to grind a bit of cash. It's not easy, but it is easier.

Hello Everyone!

I'm a new poster here but a long time Gran Turismo Fan who has been playing since the release of the first GT.

I haven't been stuck on any races so far in my progression (All Gold in Events, Licences, Coffee Breaks, Missions, Goodwood Festival) in GT6 until I hit the International A - GT Kart Championship 125 Shifter.

As I found the balance of the previous Kart races to be quite easy, I found that the 125cc Shifters are difficult to handle in this race series, Finally getting gold on the tracks, I thought I may add the tuning I used to assist anyone else that were having the issues I was with:

- Loss of traction
- Spinning
- Throttle Control
- Braking

International A - GT Kart Championship 125 Shifter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Race 1 - Brands Hatch Indy Circuit Tune:
(Front/Rear Weight Distribution - 50:50)

(Manual or Automatic) Drivetrain (Transmission):
Gear Setting = Max Speed (Defined Automatically) = 200 km/h

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**
I found that from an initial acceleration point of view, you will never have the upper hand from a grid start no matter how short the gear ratios. Begin by accelerating into the first bend, making sure to start turning in a little earlier (Due to the extra weight in the front of the kart). If the kart starts to slide, I found it was a lot easier to counter-steer at speed due to the 50:50 Weight instead of going wide into the kitty litter or spinning.

Corner 2 - Brake Late and ride the right ripple strip, going wide mid turn to overtake traffic.

Corner 3 (Left) - Can be taken from Middle of track in 3rd gear.

Corner 4 (5th gear left) - can be taken at speed, don't brake on this corner, just lift off the throttle mid corner and it will track around.

Corner 5 (3rd gear right onto straight) - Brake to 3rd gear and make sure to slipstream to maximise acceleration out of the corner.

By following this, you will find that by Lap 3 you should be in second place by Corner 2 or 4.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Race 2 -Willow Springs 'Little Willow' Tune:

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**
This track is very windy at the beginning, from a Grid Start, you will lag behind on acceleration, although you will catch up by the second corner (Tight 2nd Gear Right).

Just keep your cool and stay on track and slipstream as much as you can on the rear straight.

By lap 2 you should be in 3rd place after exiting the Long 3rd Gear Right onto the back straight. Slipstream 2nd Place and you should be able to out brake 1st into the second corner of the track.
*Race 3 - Gran Turismo Arena (Layout A) Tune:

(Automatic)Drivetrain (Transmission):
Gear Setting = Max Speed (Defined Automatically) = 150 km/h

Body:
Ballast Weight = 5kg
Ballast Position = -50%

**Race Strategy**
GT Arena was giving me the most trouble and is what caused me to remember the settings. After 4 days of cursing and getting 2nd place every race, the above tuning setting was what finally got me the Gold.

I Highly Recommend using Automatic Transmission for this race as I could not keep up with the gear shifting speed required during this race to keep my cornering smooth.

Brake a little late and turn deep into Corner 1 from the inside lines, if you come in from the middle of the track, you can use 3rd gear around this corner, although you will get held back by traffic.

Corner 3 (Slow 2nd Gear Right ) - Turn as sharp as you are able to but be careful not to accelerate too hard on exiting until you have straightened up or you will spin. Accelerate into 4th gear and coast left around the next 2 corners (Corners 4 and 5) braking only if necessary to get the inside line or to lose speed into 2nd gear.

Corner 6 / Corner 7 (Right Hand Dual Tight) - The gear doesn't matter here, it could either be 2nd or 3rd at this point. Make sure you are attempting to be smooth around this right hander and not to touch the inside ripple strips as they will jump the side of the kart. Try to keep the speed at 60km/h around here.

Corner 8 (Long Sweeping Right onto Straight) - This corner has the largest risk of spinning you out as the tires will stress under acceleration around this sweeping corner. Try applying around 75% Throttle coming out of Corner 7 (You'll be doing approximately 60km/h - 70km/h) and hold a steady turn onto the straight. Do not exceed 110km/h before you straighten up for the straight or you will slide left into the ripple strip. Alternatively, never touch the inside ripple strip onto the straight with your right tires or you will spin. If the right ripple strip is unavoidable in your lap, de-throttle immediately when touching and throttle slowly once you are back on the tarmac.

I hope this tuning guide and strategies help someone as I had large difficulties with this race.

For any tips or questions for any other races, please feel free to PM me or ask on PSN.

Greetings,
Thanks for the tips...got second place...and just 1.5 seconds from Gold. Way better than getting lapped.

Kona

Greetings,
Thanks for the tips...got second place...and just 1.5 seconds from Gold. Way better than getting lapped.

Kona
That`s the way to go. I got third place when I tried to gold this event the first time. After a short break of 10 days or so (:lol:) I managed to get second place with 1-2 secs behind the leader. Now it`s only a question of having a few good "momentums" when overtaking them basterdz and you will take the lead in the middle of the last lap (so did I) and keep praying for the rest of the lap.

First a big THANK YOU to all--been trying the final race for going on to two weeks--finally got first tonight. been going thru forums trying different setups. I know it depends on driving style-what worked for me was 99mph/5lbs/+50. It can be done.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

I'm a new poster here but a long time Gran Turismo Fan who has been playing since the release of the first GT.

I haven't been stuck on any races so far in my progression (All Gold in Events, Licences, Coffee Breaks, Missions, Goodwood Festival) in GT6 until I hit the International A - GT Kart Championship 125 Shifter.

As I found the balance of the previous Kart races to be quite easy, I found that the 125cc Shifters are difficult to handle in this race series, Finally getting gold on the tracks, I thought I may add the tuning I used to assist anyone else that were having the issues I was with:

- Loss of traction
- Spinning
- Throttle Control
- Braking

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**
I found that from an initial acceleration point of view, you will never have the upper hand from a grid start no matter how short the gear ratios. Begin by accelerating into the first bend, making sure to start turning in a little earlier (Due to the extra weight in the front of the kart). If the kart starts to slide, I found it was a lot easier to counter-steer at speed due to the 50:50 Weight instead of going wide into the kitty litter or spinning.

Corner 2 - Brake Late and ride the right ripple strip, going wide mid turn to overtake traffic.

Corner 4 (5th gear left) - can be taken at speed, don't brake on this corner, just lift off the throttle mid corner and it will track around.

Corner 5 (3rd gear right onto straight) - Brake to 3rd gear and make sure to slipstream to maximise acceleration out of the corner.

By following this, you will find that by Lap 3 you should be in second place by Corner 2 or 4.

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**
This track is very windy at the beginning, from a Grid Start, you will lag behind on acceleration, although you will catch up by the second corner (Tight 2nd Gear Right).

Just keep your cool and stay on track and slipstream as much as you can on the rear straight.

By lap 2 you should be in 3rd place after exiting the Long 3rd Gear Right onto the back straight. Slipstream 2nd Place and you should be able to out brake 1st into the second corner of the track.

Body:
Ballast Weight = 5kg
Ballast Position = -50%

**Race Strategy**
GT Arena was giving me the most trouble and is what caused me to remember the settings. After 4 days of cursing and getting 2nd place every race, the above tuning setting was what finally got me the Gold.

I Highly Recommend using Automatic Transmission for this race as I could not keep up with the gear shifting speed required during this race to keep my cornering smooth.

Brake a little late and turn deep into Corner 1 from the inside lines, if you come in from the middle of the track, you can use 3rd gear around this corner, although you will get held back by traffic.

Corner 3 (Slow 2nd Gear Right ) - Turn as sharp as you are able to but be careful not to accelerate too hard on exiting until you have straightened up or you will spin. Accelerate into 4th gear and coast left around the next 2 corners (Corners 4 and 5) braking only if necessary to get the inside line or to lose speed into 2nd gear.

Corner 6 / Corner 7 (Right Hand Dual Tight) - The gear doesn't matter here, it could either be 2nd or 3rd at this point. Make sure you are attempting to be smooth around this right hander and not to touch the inside ripple strips as they will jump the side of the kart. Try to keep the speed at 60km/h around here.

Corner 8 (Long Sweeping Right onto Straight) - This corner has the largest risk of spinning you out as the tires will stress under acceleration around this sweeping corner. Try applying around 75% Throttle coming out of Corner 7 (You'll be doing approximately 60km/h - 70km/h) and hold a steady turn onto the straight. Do not exceed 110km/h before you straighten up for the straight or you will slide left into the ripple strip. Alternatively, never touch the inside ripple strip onto the straight with your right tires or you will spin. If the right ripple strip is unavoidable in your lap, de-throttle immediately when touching and throttle slowly once you are back on the tarmac.

I hope this tuning guide and strategies help someone as I had large difficulties with this race.

For any tips or questions for any other races, please feel free to PM me or ask on PSN.

Thanks for the guidance and tune!

Got it within three tries and got my Ferrari Enzo!!

The Red Bull karting is alot easier than the 125 shifter chamionship. I do that and the junior x car series all the time to grind a bit of cash. It's not easy, but it is easier.

Haha Debris, you were entirely right! The Red Bull Karts are the same as the 125cc (non-shifters) and didn't pose an issue for me at all. 👍

@bwanabud
On behalf of everyone, you are very welcome and a Big THANK YOU! for posting the setting that helped you the most! I'm sure it will help others out where my setting doesn't feel as comfortable to use for their race style! :gtpflag:

@Nate2712
Well Done Nate! You are more than welcome! :)
Enjoy the Enzo!

@KilzoneStrife
Don't Give Up Mate! It takes some time to get used to it!

Play around with some tunes to find a comfortable setting and when in doubt, take the kart into a Free Run on the track you are having difficulty with. Have a frustration free session with the kart and see how fast you can take corners... or how far it can slide on the grass / gravel or bounce off the wall of the corner that's getting the better of you! :)

Post back soon and let us all know how you've gone with it! 👍

I finally got first in the GT Arena race, and got my Enzo. Thanks to all whose tunes I tried (all of them!). I got it my wheel, 30kg at the back, and max speed at 93mph, but what did it in the end was learning to drive the thing and where to go slower.

Proves you're not too old at 71! My cart has 278 miles on the clock and I'm starting to quite like it.

I'm a GT fan since GT3, and this was one of the the hardest for me.

If you haven't got it yet, don't give up, keep trying...

I was about to give up on the 125cc karts all together until I found this thread, thanks for the info.

Hello Everyone!

- Loss of traction
- Spinning
- Throttle Control
- Braking

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**

Body:
Ballast Weight = 5kg
Ballast Position = -50%

**Race Strategy**

Hello Everyone!

- Loss of traction
- Spinning
- Throttle Control
- Braking

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**

Body:
Ballast Weight = 10kg
Ballast Position = -35%

**Race Strategy**

Body:
Ballast Weight = 5kg
Ballast Position = -50%

**Race Strategy**

Greetings AUAxton,
Finally got the GOLD on all the Karts. Thanks for the tips. The bonus for me is that it has made me a much better driver. Again...YOU DA MAN
Kona

BTW
I used 4 kg at -50% and speed set to 150 kph (93 mph).

Steering controller set to 5

Last edited:
Finally....tnx for guide ...only change for me is 3rd race no balast...with 5kg as you say 2nd place is best i get ..karts go to storage ..

Thanks very much for the tips in this thread and a bunch of others, I'm a DS3 d-pad, x and square user and have struggled mightily at the arena until now! Probably got 2nd place 40 times, what finally worked for me was max speed at 124mph, 10kg. @ +50 and my key to victory was changing steering sensitivity from +3 to +5, special thanks to KonaCoffee!

Only have the rebull Goodwood left to Gold but the arena shifter was by far the hardest for me to complete.

Hm,
I think I'm gonna have the guys have a go when it's my time to be host in the monthly get together.
Technically cheating, yes, but I do hate those Kart races.

Back