GT Academy 2014 Discussion...

MisterWeary

Staff Emeritus
GTP_MisterWeary
As @Gravitron suggested here, most of us are pretty pumped about GT Academy. In order to take discussion out of the regular WRS threads I thought I'd jump in and make a thread.

My current lap is a 1'04.008 (which is coincidentally identical to @NielsG) and I lost 0.5 by the time I hit T1 :dunce:, so I'm hoping to get into the 1'03.8xx area I think, we'll see though.

So how are you all going, what are your challenges so far and what are your goals?

Congrats to @Doodle for his P1 at the moment too, really awesome stuff 👍

1'03.62x from memory, trying to clean up my first sector which should give me a .4 based on my current best. Aiming to be in the top 100 by the end, which would probably be the high point of my Academy by a long way. :lol:

Was quite frustrating as I got the brake point and turn in to last corner wrong and it cost me a lot heading to the line but I'm aiming to be top 250 and maybe in top 25-30 Brits .

How about a leaderboard for GT Academy just like the ones we have for all WRS TT events?
We can post our splits and final time here and get updated on this leaderboard.
This way we can see if our usual position changes for GT Academy.

Noticed there was this Canadian participant hanging out not too far outside the top 100 with the name Thanks_Eh... (for Let(ting)_Canada_In, I suppose...).

So if I understand this correctly average drivers like me can basically just treat this like a nice seasonal, right?
Nice to see some WRS regulars in the top spots.
So far I managed 1.04.3xx. It's kinda hard to find motivation when I know I'm likely not gonna crack top 1000 :(

So if I understand this correctly average drivers like me can basically just treat this like a nice seasonal, right?
Nice to see some WRS regulars in the top spots.
So far I managed 1.04.3xx. It's kinda hard to find motivation when I know I'm likely not gonna crack top 1000 :(
The cool thing about this though, is that you almost definitively know where you stand in the world...its also a good way to really perfect your technique since aids are mostly disabled and you have access to the top ghosts. I too won't be anywhere near the top of the leaderboard but its fascinating to me nonetheless 👍

I've been trying to beat my Academy time, all I want to do is get around 1'03.8xx and I am stuck. I'm finding the first corner the hardest?!? By the time I get to the second corner I'm already 0.3 behind a top ghost and usually 0.5-0.6 down by T1, I've analysed data logger and I brake right when I'm supposed to and get back on the gas almost when I'm supposed to but keeping the same speed through that corner almost always results in a sandy excursion :odd: Any tips would be much appreciated.

If it's any help I can upload my replay of 1.03.5 as I'm level with doodle up to exit of hair pin.

I did a 1'04.02 chasing Dan Holland's 1'03.333. He pulled out 0.3,0.3 and 0.2 on the three sectors. About .25 of the first sector was turn one.

The first turn is seeming to be the most difficult for those of you on controllers, so I'll try to help. I discovered, purely by chance, that the fastest way around there is to only turn my wheel a little bit, much less than I'm used to turning. Experiment with your turning angle on the stick, hopefully it will help. :cheers:

I've been trying to beat my Academy time, all I want to do is get around 1'03.8xx and I am stuck. I'm finding the first corner the hardest?!? By the time I get to the second corner I'm already 0.3 behind a top ghost and usually 0.5-0.6 down by T1, I've analysed data logger and I brake right when I'm supposed to and get back on the gas almost when I'm supposed to but keeping the same speed through that corner almost always results in a sandy excursion :odd: Any tips would be much appreciated.

I haven't jumped into the Academy yet, so I haven't had a chance to try this: someone in the other NA GTA thread mentioned staying on the gas while braking to get through that corner faster. I don't drive with both feet, but this, if anywhere, would be the best place to experiment!:)

I haven't jumped into the Academy yet, so I haven't had a chance to try this: someone in the other NA GTA thread mentioned staying on the gas while braking to get through that corner faster. I don't drive with both feet, but this, if anywhere, would be the best place to experiment!:)

I also found that partial throttle helps to keep the car from sliding too much.

My current lap is a 1'04.008 (which is coincidentally identical to @NielsG) and I lost 0.5 by the time I hit T1 :dunce:, so I'm hoping to get into the 1'03.8xx area I think, we'll see though.

Had 2 more sessions with no improvements, but today I used GTP_Hollands ghost and got it down to 1'03.950. It effectively showed me where to optimize my lines. 👍 Hitting those lines is a completely different story though. :dopey:

For someone who already has the complete skill set like you @Doodle that makes sense, for me though, I learn something new every time I study a top lap and try replicating it. I'm getting really good at easing the left stick into and out of corners now, getting much smoother 👍

I've just done a 1'03.903 which I'm pretty stoked with as in essence, the whole course boils down to 4 corners and I absolutely nailed the first and last. In fact I clawed back some thousandths over Dan's ghost on the last corner!

I can take all four corners quite well, but just not on the same lap, which I guess, really is everyone's battle :)

I've attached my replay in case any also-rans like me wanted a closer ghost to chase 👍

Thanks for your lap too @skyline1683, watching yours and Dan's laps and following the advice of @mistersafeway in particular, I can take Paddock Hill much better now 👍

I might add, it is scary to be so close to my limit and be only barely inside the top 2500 :crazy:

Attachments

• GTA - Round 01 - MisterWeary - 01`03.903.zip
    242.6 KB · Views: 5
Just improved too a 1:03.472 good to climb back in to top 400 but looking at my lap I lost 0.067 to my ghost in the last corner so I could improve more .

I ran this for around two hours and hit a 1.03.9xx,but reading the above ideas and tips about staying on the throttle partially through braking is something ive Got to try.
Will go for 1.03.5xx i reckon:boggled::D

Back