GT Academy 2014 Discussion...

Did anyone else notice the change in force feedback in event 4? The steering feels much lighter compared to similar cars. I bumped up the FF in options to get some feel back. The Ford GT WRS event helped me to learn the track but it still took me more than 10 laps to get gold. I'm not going to push for competitive time. I'm way too slow.

Here's a 2'17.404 if anyone wants to chase it.

1'04.183 1'41.356
36.048 2'17.404

I've already been chasing your line! Thanks 👍
You've already shown me places where I'm holding back too much. Already took almost 2 secs off my time. :D
I'm still working on tightening up S2 and S3, though :embarrassed:

Finally got around to checking out round 4, long way to go. I'm glad it's a two week event, I haven't had hardly any time to get behind the wheel (besides at work).

Managed a 2'17.3xx, still not sure about the lines. I was hoping it would turn a little better, but I am glad its not 4wd.

Finally got around to checking out round 4, long way to go. I'm glad it's a two week event, I haven't had hardly any time to get behind the wheel (besides at work).

Managed a 2'17.3xx, still not sure about the lines. I was hoping it would turn a little better, but I am glad its not 4wd.

It has some really odd grip characteristics. I did my customary 5 laps, got gold with a 2.18.xxx and decided that it was bizarre enough for me to call it a day :)

How we doin'? :)

After improving to a 2'17.0 I took some quick snaps:

Friends_Top_20140605.jpg Me_Regional_20140605.jpg Me_World_20140605.jpg

Nice laps @Tidgney, @Holty, @hasslemoff, @DTM, @BionicDerp, @couttsy21, @Rikson, @sidplayos2, @Friday_GTRP, @manumanu19, @Cats_PJs. 👍

Thanks Lucas. Got down to 2'16.25 this morning, in theory there's a 15.7 out there.

Did a 2'20.979. Enough to get the cash, car and say bye bye academy. I don't have the desire to go to NYC and then be sent home

If they had a spot reserved for the ABS 0 crowd, I might try to push my way to try to get 2:17.929, which is the fastest ABS 0 time in the US. Of course, that's already over 3 seconds off the US pace, and almost as far ahead of my time of 2:20.651, so like @ItsAllAboutWins, I'm taking my cash and car and calling it an Academy.

Well was on a 2:16.0 Friday evening leaving 0,5 sec on track, yesterday i was trying to get that .5 and what do you gues .... Steering wheel broke ..... And that when i am leaving tomorrow night to Le Mans 24hours .....
Bought the g27 today got home thinking i am going to nail that 15,2 - 15,5 ......... NOT ! ....

It's a complete different wheel, i have to get used to it i gues :confused:...... Ah well maybe i'll beat my time, maybe not 🤬

Have fun at the race, Danny! 👍 Too bad about the wheel. :ouch:

I have some of you on my splits spreadsheet, PM me your splits if you'd like to be added.

Well almost 3 tenths tonight, with 3 more that I'm looking for, and a couple more that I'd like to find, but haven't yet. Kind of an awesome combo. :)

Looks like a couple other GTP'ers improved as well. ;)

@oink83 2'15.362
@GTP_Eternal 2'16.073
@cargorat323 2'16.441
@GTP_Jordan 2'16.522
GTP_Gravitron 2'16.664

I hadn't noticed @oink83 on the leaderboards before and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw him ranked 17th in the UK. Not counting all the ineligible drivers ahead of him, he would be 13th, enough to make it to national finals. :D

I hadn't noticed @oink83 on the leaderboards before and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw him ranked 17th in the UK. Not counting all the ineligible drivers ahead of him, he would be 13th, enough to make it to national finals. :D
Haha, I just shaved a tenth off my lap earlier today. Down to a 15.2 and still plenty of time out there if I can only get the damn lap together. Who are the inelegible drivers in the top of UK do you know? I counted Tidgney, Twissy and Bandit, is there another?

I should say, if I do make it into nationals, I'm gunna have to make a return to WRS for some race practice! :D

I noticed too. ;) I had your 15.3 in my sector spreadsheet.

We'll be cheering for you and sure, come on back for some races! :cheers:

Well, that was a really fun Academy. My best is 2'15.827, 59th at the moment. My boss actually gave me permission to call in today if I was close to making it. I knew I had no shot, but that's not a bad boss to have.

Did you call in? :D

I'm curious if anyone noticed the new GTA boundaries, which indicate driving on tarmac is PD's preferred method over the grass-cutting hipsters of yesteryear.
I'm curious if this will affect GTP's sanctioned events, or if they'll continue using the set standard of needing just one inch of the car on track. (as opposed to PD's allowing only a few inches off the track)

I'm curious if anyone noticed the new GTA boundaries, which indicate driving on tarmac is PD's preferred method over the grass-cutting hipsters of yesteryear.
I'm curious if this will affect GTP's sanctioned events, or if they'll continue using the set standard of needing just one inch of the car on track. (as opposed to PD's allowing only a few inches off the track)
I guess my question back to you would be.....Why do you care?

As far as I can see, you've participated in exactly 1 WRS Time Trial and 0 online events on GT6 (cursory glance on the latter).

Are you saying, "If only you had more stringent boundary requirements, people would stop exploiting them, and I would participate more often."?

Seems PD has a bit of a double standard between their game established boundaries and what they provide for the academy. They put cones at key corner entry and exit points in the GTA TT's, which causes those more stringent boundaries to be game enforced. For the online aspect of the Academy (regional finals, etc.) they have multiple stewards looking over drivers' shoulders, watching their every move. They have the luxury of being able to monitor driver behavior on the fly, and can enforce in that way.

PD HAS provided some improved boundary restrictions in some areas of some tracks (Eu Rogue at Spa is one example), but it still seems both random and inconsistent and sometimes does not make sense at all. Take our current TT at Laguna Seca. If you run wide in the second to last turn, your NEXT LAP is invalidated. Someone please tell me how I could possibly gain an advantage in SFL speed at Laguna Seca by running wide in Turn 10, as opposed to Turn 11, which is the actual turn onto the main straight.

For us, it's as much about simplicity of enforcement and keeping events approachable for drivers of ALL abilities, as anything. Once you get into the 4 wheels on track thing, verification of the INSIDE of 2 tires on a rumble strip (or within a track white line, whichever you prefer) is very difficult, taking pictures under cars to figure out what's going on can be really tough. And if I said "You can have a few inches of your car off track", how does one enforce that? Clearly, we need a firm boundary, that's easy to enforce, AND easy to verify.

If it's online you are worried about, we're not going to take the time to review the race of every driver and make sure they keep 4 wheels on the entire time. And even the world's most established and elite racing series do not do that.

F1 says you cannot run outside of track boundaries in qualification, but during the race, you just cannot gain an advantage from it. That's effectively the same as our rule.

Anyhow, I'm really not trying to stir 🤬 up by replying to you, and I genuinely hope that was not your intention by making this post in here, although it does feel a bit like Troll Bait, if I'm honest.

That's my personal, straightforward assessment of the situation. We never claimed to be the cleanest, most elite series, with the fastest drivers. We aim to be a fair, fun environment in which drivers of all abilities can compete on a level playing field, and I think we're doing a reasonably good job of achieving that.

One other factor that has been brought into the TT's is that grip reduction is now set to Real, so running with two wheels on the grass is not as beneficial as yesteryear's. This weeks event is a prime example as a bit of sand on the tyres can effect your next corner.

EDK
I guess my question back to you would be.....Why do you care?

As far as I can see, you've participated in exactly 1 WRS Time Trial and 0 online events on GT6 (cursory glance on the latter).

Are you saying, "If only you had more stringent boundary requirements, people would stop exploiting them, and I would participate more often."?

Seems PD has a bit of a double standard between their game established boundaries and what they provide for the academy. They put cones at key corner entry and exit points in the GTA TT's, which causes those more stringent boundaries to be game enforced. For the online aspect of the Academy (regional finals, etc.) they have multiple stewards looking over drivers' shoulders, watching their every move. They have the luxury of being able to monitor driver behavior on the fly, and can enforce in that way.

PD HAS provided some improved boundary restrictions in some areas of some tracks (Eu Rogue at Spa is one example), but it still seems both random and inconsistent and sometimes does not make sense at all. Take our current TT at Laguna Seca. If you run wide in the second to last turn, your NEXT LAP is invalidated. Someone please tell me how I could possibly gain an advantage in SFL speed at Laguna Seca by running wide in Turn 10, as opposed to Turn 11, which is the actual turn onto the main straight.

For us, it's as much about simplicity of enforcement and keeping events approachable for drivers of ALL abilities, as anything. Once you get into the 4 wheels on track thing, verification of the INSIDE of 2 tires on a rumble strip (or within a track white line, whichever you prefer) is very difficult, taking pictures under cars to figure out what's going on can be really tough. And if I said "You can have a few inches of your car off track", how does one enforce that? Clearly, we need a firm boundary, that's easy to enforce, AND easy to verify.

If it's online you are worried about, we're not going to take the time to review the race of every driver and make sure they keep 4 wheels on the entire time. And even the world's most established and elite racing series do not do that.

F1 says you cannot run outside of track boundaries in qualification, but during the race, you just cannot gain an advantage from it. That's effectively the same as our rule.

Anyhow, I'm really not trying to stir 🤬 up by replying to you, and I genuinely hope that was not your intention by making this post in here, although it does feel a bit like Troll Bait, if I'm honest.

That's my personal, straightforward assessment of the situation. We never claimed to be the cleanest, most elite series, with the fastest drivers. We aim to be a fair, fun environment in which drivers of all abilities can compete on a level playing field, and I think we're doing a reasonably good job of achieving that.
Ask around your buddies how many times I've brought it up.

An idea would be to do that before pulling the troll card out. I just finally asked out loud somewhere. ;)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading you explain that in some corners you can't gain time by driving off the track though. New information for me there. (us D1G guys don't know this stuff, or wait...I can cut in the grass well too, have you considered that I genuinely don't enjoy it at all? Even for a single second?)

I didn't ask you to change your boundaries, I asked if it was being considered or ever would be. Obviously your answer indicates that the GTP WRS will be driving in the grass for a long time, which is fine. All I did was ask.

(AND) Every single time I ask anything you get defensive and borderline aggressive. Why would I participate with people that complain about people asking questions? People that have a suggestion box, even though they openly acknowledge that they don't take requests?

P.S. - If my saying "you will be driving in the grass for a long time" offends you, it's your subconscious saying that it's dirty, FYI. If you truly felt it was legitimate, it wouldn't be offensive or sound the way it does.

P.S.S. - I asked the same thing to Pure, frankly I don't care if it's offensive, because I won't participate with those who do it any longer. You can understand why I wouldn't care what people whom I view as driving dirty think of me, right?

Ask around your buddies how many times I've brought it up.

An idea would be to do that before pulling the troll card out. I just finally asked out loud somewhere. ;)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading you explain that in some corners you can't gain time by driving off the track though. New information for me there. (us D1G guys don't know this stuff, or wait...I can cut in the grass well too, have you considered that I genuinely don't enjoy it at all? Even for a single second?)

I didn't ask you to change your boundaries, I asked if it was being considered or ever would be. Obviously your answer indicates that the GTP WRS will be driving in the grass for a long time, which is fine. All I did was ask.

(AND) Every single time I ask anything you get defensive and borderline aggressive. Why would I participate with people that complain about people asking questions? People that have a suggestion box, even though they openly acknowledge that they don't take requests?

P.S. - If my saying "you will be driving in the grass for a long time" offends you, it's your subconscious saying that it's dirty, FYI. If you truly felt it was legitimate, it wouldn't be offensive or sound the way it does.

P.S.S. - I asked the same thing to Pure, frankly I don't care if it's offensive, because I won't participate with those who do it any longer. You can understand why I wouldn't care what people whom I view as driving dirty think of me, right?
Alright, have fun. Cya around, I guess.

Not going to waste any more time with explaining our position to you, since the only acceptable one you can see is your own.

I'm overreacting as per usual, though I have to partly blame your confrontational attitude on a repeated basis. Presumably for asking questions, as best I can tell.

EDK
Take our current TT at Laguna Seca. If you run wide in the second to last turn, your NEXT LAP is invalidated. Someone please tell me how I could possibly gain an advantage in SFL speed at Laguna Seca by running wide in Turn 10, as opposed to Turn 11, which is the actual turn onto the main straight.

From both GT5 and GT6, once you pass the spawn point at which your car first appears when you load up the time trial, every off track will disqualify the next lap. For example at Monaco, the car will spawn and you'll begin to drive on the straight before "La Rascasse". Any wall hit after that spawn point will disqualify the next lap.

In other news GT Academy related, Two WRS members in the North America region have qualified for race camp at Silverstone next month! Congrats @iGoFast and @K1utch !!!! :cheers:

Back