2.01 : 112MB
2.02 : 246mb
2.03 : 225mb
2.04 : 79mb
2.05 : 25mb
2.06 : 475mb
2.07 : 2mb

Total : 4232.8mb

Honestly I feel bad for anyone who gets GT5, wants to play it when they get home, and then finds this and the game data install waiting for them. It's crazy especially if you got a slow connection like me.

Not to mention, even with a fast connection, GT5s update server seems to be operating ULTRA slow. Not even half as fast as the PSN servers.

Honestly I feel bad for anyone who gets GT5, wants to play it when they get home, and then finds this and the game data install waiting for them.
Haha funny you should mention it.

This one guy bought a platinum copy of GT5 today in the store I work at, and I was thinking the same thing...

"Haha, this guy is up for a nice surprise!" :sly:

So GT5 is taking over 4GB of my hard drive space, not including the game disc installation? That is a ridiculous amount of space for one game. I guess it's the price we pay for such an awesome racing game. I think I have 30GB/120GB remaining on my drive so it's not so bad... yet. Thansk for the info.

Haha funny you should mention it.

This one guy bought a platinum copy of GT5 today in the store I work at, and I was thinking the same thing...

"Haha, this guy is up for a nice surprise!" :sly:

I'm gonna offer it to my cousin as B-Day gift , he thinks it's like Prologue , put and play :lol:

So GT5 is taking over 4GB of my hard drive space, not including the game disc installation? That is a ridiculous amount of space for one game. I guess it's the price we pay for such an awesome racing game. I think I have 30GB/120GB remaining on my drive so it's not so bad... yet. Thansk for the info.
I just checked and my GT5 (fully installed) takes up over 16 GB of hard drive space.

The biggest issue with this is that you have to download all of the DLC whether you want it or not. That probably takes up 2GB or so.

Playstation devs also seem to take less care with patches because they are free to size them however they like. On the 360 patches are limited to a few MB and still devs manage to pack lots of changes into them. Yet take one random example of a GT5 update, 1.07

[Major Changes and New Features]
Friend Rankings: In Drift Trials and Time Trials, you can now display leaderboards that shows only your friends. While it was difficult before to locate your friends in the general leaderboards, this now makes it easier to compare your lap times and points with them.

[Fixed Issues]
- Performance points (PP), which is an index of a car’s overall performance, is now calculated regardless of your tire selection. You can now set performance point restrictions and tire restrictions separately when you race in a lounge.
- Fixed the issue where the performance of electric cars increased/decreased after a certain amount of driving.
- Downloaded replays from Seasonal Event Rankings can now be viewed properly.

[Other Changes]
- Cars worth over 1,000,000 Cr. (including gift car coupons) are now prohibited from being traded to prevent issues during the trading process. When lending and borrowing cars between friends, please use the car loan system.

What takes up 47MB in all of that? It's just code changes as far as I can see. It's not much, but it all adds up. Before anyone jumps down on me for bashing PD again I'm not, all PS3 devs do the same but it is annoying.

DGXR

Shut up and take my hard drive!

It be much more, but several features were left out due to size. This is big, but tiny compared to adding the YouTube feature, track/event/livery editor.

Wonder what 6 will look like. Surely it'll be addressed.

[Fixed Issues]
- Performance points (PP), which is an index of a car’s overall performance, is now calculated regardless of your tire selection. You can now set performance point restrictions and tire restrictions separately when you race in a lounge.

You just brought up by far the worst thing PD has ever done, and my most hated update. 1.07

Seriously, I had the time of my life before they did that. We all know how many people don't put on tire restrictions in public lobbies, and personally I can't stand that. I boycotted racing soft tires a long time ago, and I'm still steaming mad that they took out tires having an effect on PP. It was the perfect solution. It worked in GT5p, it worked in GT5.

It wasn't an "issue" that needed fixing.

I clean installed GT5 on a new PS3 last week and the total update download size was about 2GB :/

Also, for people complaning about the size, Forza 3 takes up 12 GB on my Xbox. Now THAT's a lot.

Honestly I feel bad for anyone who gets GT5, wants to play it when they get home, and then finds this and the game data install waiting for them. It's crazy especially if you got a slow connection like me.

I feel bad for the people who have monthly bandwidth/usage caps. 4GB can be a huge chunk or in some cases over the monthly allotment from their ISP.

I'm gonna offer it to my cousin as B-Day gift , he thinks it's like Prologue , put and play :lol:
No

Delete the Prologue gamedata and start the game......... happy waiting!

---

And btw, GT5 can be played without any installations. It's all up to you.

No

---

Not if you want to play online or do seasonals.

Like I said, it's up to you. Your problem if you wanna play online.

The question is what you prefer. You can't always have the best of the cake without doing something for it.

Like I said, it's up to you. Your problem if you wanna play online.

The question is what you prefer. You can't always have the best of the cake without doing something for it.

"Your problem" if you want to use one of the main advertised features of the game?

Too bad they PD couldn't take all the patches and make one file that can be downloaded via computer, then installed on the PS3 (like you can with the XMB firmware updates). This would save so much time and hassle because we have download managers on our computers that will pause and resume not to mention if a download gets interrupted, you can resume where it left off. There's nothing worse than when a download hangs at 99% and you can't do anything about it.

I would hate to have to re-download everything all over again, I've seen people on here have so many issues with download problems; corrupted downloads, missing files etc.

Another thing they should do is to let us back up our "game data" file, this way we could clean our system and just re-apply the file to its origin.

So we are complaining about free updates today.. nice!

Considering how cheap hard drives are these days, the file size on disc is still manageable. But I do agree with you guys, that for a new user its a lot of updating and jump through hoops before they can get to the online content.

@TomBrady
Thanks for the info, i was curious about that.

As we speak with 2.07 update with 0 pics,0 replays, 0 custom tracks and 0 GT-TV videos my PS3 reports 13GB.

The biggest issue with this is that you have to download all of the DLC whether you want it or not. That probably takes up 2GB or so.

Playstation devs also seem to take less care with patches because they are free to size them however they like. On the 360 patches are limited to a few MB and still devs manage to pack lots of changes into them. Yet take one random example of a GT5 update, 1.07

What takes up 47MB in all of that? It's just code changes as far as I can see. It's not much, but it all adds up. Before anyone jumps down on me for bashing PD again I'm not, all PS3 devs do the same but it is annoying.
First part Devs get unlimited patches , sony charges a dev after releasing a second patch , so many don't bother patching a game
PS does any body know if GT% XL comes with the patches?

Considering how cheap hard drives are these days, the file size on disc is still manageable. But I do agree with you guys, that for a new user its a lot of updating and jump through hoops before they can get to the online content.

Not too sure If anyone was complaining about the size on disk more rather the size of download, especially with servers that are constantly busy(slow)/incomplete downloads.

No

---

Maybe. He can't actually play because he's a troll and his only words in English (he's 15) , are : Hi , **** You B***. Soo he's just dumb :crazy:

well i woulnt have any problems to reinstall it.... not a big deal for me. i download 2,5 megabytes per second. that means 2 Seconds= 5 Mb :)

GT5 is the only game I play so I’m not worried about filling up my HD.

New tracks and cars do add to the total size of the game, but one thing you guys seem to be missing is that many of these downloaded files not just being piled on to what is already there. Many of them are replacing older versions of program files that are then deleted.

The "unlisted" changes. There's always something.

First part Devs get unlimited patches , sony charges a dev after releasing a second patch , so many don't bother patching a game
PS does any body know if GT% XL comes with the patches?
I had no idea.

GT XL doesn't come with the game. You still need to download them. I'm pretty sure GT5 nearly fills up a bluray disk with only 2 GB spared. That could be why they weren't on the disk, or they just aren't set up to be on there?

From newegg’s description of GT5 XL Edition:

“All of the new and improved features and functionality from all free downloadable game updates up through Spec 2.0 included on the disc.”

Plus a $20 voucher for premium dlc

From newegg’s description of GT5 XL Edition:

“All of the new and improved features and functionality from all free downloadable game updates up through Spec 2.0 included on the disc.”

Plus a $20 voucher for premium dlc
Whoops, my bad. I guess I was thinking about needing internet to download the DLC from the store.

I feel bad for the people who have monthly bandwidth/usage caps. 4GB can be a huge chunk or in some cases over the monthly allotment from their ISP.

Yea I was thinking and wondering that myself. I don't know what my download limit is. I've downloaded a bunch of stuff before and had no problems, but this week or month I'm going to be downloading a ton of stuff. I just got a new HDD, and I'm going to get all those free games from PSN for PS plus members. Not to mention I'm going to try a few game trials.

I'm hoping it's unlimited.

The worst part of it for me was my DL speeds are awful, 1.5mb/s (on speedtest dot com), but for some reason from the PSN servers, I'm lucky if I get half that. It usually takes 3-4 seconds per megabyte. That's awful

Not true. I've deleted the installed files in GT5 (from the GT5 utilities menu, NOT THE XMB) many times, and it may ask/recommend that you install them before going online/seasonals, but you don't actually have to do it.

Anytime I need a bit of extra space, I fire up GT5, go into the options menu, scroll down to utilities, and click "delete installed game files". It gives you about 7gb, and cuts your GT5 game data down to 5900mb. The only problem is everytime you load up a car or track, it will take a little longer. Over time, slowly it will take up more and more space in your hard drive, but you don't actually need it to go online. Like I said, it will recommend you do it, but it doesn't force you

I only complained about one update (1.07), and I feel I have every right to. That update did nothing except take away something that was very important to me. Since then, I don't even bother with public lobbies in GT5. I've had it with people using racing softs ALL THE TIME, and 1.07 ruined my only chance to compete with proper, and realistic tires.

Otherwise, I wasn't complaining about the updates, just saying if you gotta do em all at once like I did, it sucks, Even if you have a superfast connection it's gonna take a long time, and nobody likes to deal with crap like that.

It literally took my PS3 10-12 hours to download and install all of the updates.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back