GT5 Online Closes 20th May 2014

• Thread starter Oniichan
  • 147 comments
Australia
Sydney
oni_chan
That's right all. For those that have yet to upgrade to GT6, news has come from Sony that the GT5 online service will close on the 20th May 2014.

GT5 isn't the only one affected. There are a whole bunch of games which will close their online service as well.

Source: http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/games/detail/item97821/Support-for-online-game-features/
modify_inline.gif

I guess i better finish all the seasonals by May. Then GT5 will be all offline to complete at 100%

Will miss all the online races... but GT6 is there for it ;)

🤬 YOU PD.

GT6 drifting SUX big time.
You force me to go back to GT5, then you announce GT5 servers are closing.

Really PD?
I hope you know that a lot of people will leave the GT series for rFactor or LFS, only because drifting in GT6 feels like 🤬.

I am certainly switching to rFactor now.

Goodbye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay, more focus to GT6! Although, it is sad to see GT5's online servers go down, but hey, GT6 is where its at and needs more attention. So, finish what you're doing than upgrade people. ;)

Because clearly GT6 has a tire model, unlike GT5 which doesn't is probably why you're having trouble drifting. You need to get used to it obviously. :sly:

Are PD and Sony Stupid?🤬

The GT5 online is always with people, and the Seasonals and online races are the only reason that people still play GT5.
PD supported GT5 over two years with patches, and now they will close the servers?:banghead:

In my point of view, they will close the GT5 server, because this gonna make many people buy GT6.
Everybody knows that GT6 isn't selling well, this is the only thing that Sony has to make people buy GT6.

I am 100% sure, that if GT6 was a PS4 game, they never would close GT5 servers so soon.

Are PD and Sony Stupid?🤬

The GT5 online is always with people, and the Seasonals and online races are the only reason that people still play GT5.
PD supported GT5 over two years with patches, and now they will close the servers?:banghead:
You have to remember that all things come to an end sooner or later.

In my point of view, they will close the GT5 server, because this gonna make many people buy GT6.
Everybody knows that GT6 isn't selling well, this is the only thing that Sony has to make people buy GT6.

Well, people have to go with the new stuff I guess. Sony and PD wanna make some cash.

I am 100% sure, that if GT6 was a PS4 game, they never would close GT5 servers so soon.

Probably.

I don't get why people are so surprised, its not as if this is a new thing, closing down servers to old games. IMO I think PD have been quite good with their continual development and additions to GT5 and this step could have come much sooner if anything.

People still have half a year to save up £40/$60 and having to get GT6 is hardly a bad thing 👍

I can see why they'd do this; throw out support for old, "obsolete" games and use the newly-freed up servers for more newer games. It's a nice idea, and every publisher, developer, and whathaveyou do it eventually! I just disagree with how quickly it's happened. :(

Sorry to bring up an unrelated example, but even EA/DICE with Battlefield 3 are still supporting the game with servers way after BF4's release, without any announcement to pull the plug on the servers soon. Of course, you can attribute this down to BF4 being pretty broken, but then again - GT6 has its own fair share of almost game breaking, but definitely soul destroying (see Stockyard Glitch) glitches and bugs.

Don't get me wrong, I love GT6 and definitely see it as an improvement from 5. But unless GT6 gets a considerable price drop and quality increase by the time the 20th roles around... well then, good luck. :l

🤬 YOU PD.

You force me to go back to GT5, then you announce GT5 servers are closing.

Really PD?
I hope you know that a lot of people will leave the GT series for rFactor or LFS, only because drifting in GT6 feels like 🤬.

I am certainly switching to rFactor now.

Goodbye.

Drift Offline.

That's (almost) what I thought at first. But then I took my car to the track, spent some time fine tuning the suspension (still not perfect, but lot better) and I like GT6 drifting more than GT5.

I find having medium suspension (not soft nor hard) and hard compression with soft extension good for drifting. 2-4 chamber on front and 0-0.5 on back. Everyone has personal preferences ofc.

I agree older games should be closed, but by that I mean the earlier games like GT4 and less. you got to leave up the GT5 for at least a year. I can see not updating it or patching it no more but to take the servers offline is stupidity.

Yeah, because most people buy GT just for drifting. I highly doubt that people will switch to rF or LfS, since both games are PC only.
Also, switching to a PC (hardcore) racing simulation for drifting, that gave me quite a laugh. I don't understand why people don't buy games, like NfS Underground, that include drift events if they only care about drifting.

I'm sorry, but.... how?

Like, you guys honestly didn't see this coming?
They are discontinuing a game that JUST got outdated a few weeks ago and in a few months will be completely dead because of PD. EA barely ever shut down their servers for games that extend to 6 years old. I seen this coming in a few years, not so instantaneous as this. especially where the game replacing it is so light in features and the jury still very much out on the game's lifespan.

I'm kinda sad that this is happening. I would've liked to go back to GT5 after I'm bored of GT6 to play with a few friends again and relive the fun of F1 cars online

They are discontinuing a game that JUST got outdated a few weeks ago and in a few months will be completely dead because of PD. EA barely ever shut down their servers for games that extend to 6 years old. I seen this coming in a few years, not so instantaneous as this. especially where the game replacing it is so light in features and the jury still very much out on the game's lifespan.

You realise EA are massive compared to PD?

In all honesty PD would probably want to keep them on but this is more likely a Sony decision.

Either way yes it is sooner than I thought but it's not surprising.

Although not surprised at the decision however I am surprised at the timing of the announcement. Who at Sony thought it would be a good idea to announce it on Christmas of all days. :odd:

Granted, not everyone celebrates Christmas but still rather odd.

Last edited:
You should. GT5P servers closed about 8 months after GT5's release, now GT5 servers are closing 6 months after GT6's release :grumpy:

Oh well, better do those last-minute Seasonals whilst I still can :)
Oh no, 2 whole months! That makes a huge difference! Not really. If anything, GT5P's servers should have been shutdown earlier, since it was just a demo, the full version was already out.
Horrible. Bullying in a way.
If you think this is bullying you might want to get bullied first to understand what it means.

Back