GT5 Online Closes 20th May 2014

• Thread starter Oniichan
  • 147 comments
It was a wild ride for me with GT5, but I enjoyed it, all of it. (...) I haven't updated my game since v2.11, and it's stayed on that version for a long time.

I am still on 1.02 ! I waited, even when seasonal events were added, DLC, and even when they raised the payouts.

If I chose to wait some more will they still allow me to download the newest update after May?

Also on a side note, I'm gonna miss MAG. Haven't played in a year but still now I will never play it again. Booooo.

I think it will vary from franchise to franchise how long a particular game has its multiplayer servers up. Some series such as Battlefield and Half-Life still have their servers up for the first entry in their respective franchises despite being more than a decade old, on the flip side some EA games only get a two-year lifespan at maximum with regards to their online services.

With regards to GT5, there are a handful of things that aren't in GT6 that might be little incentives to play IMO, such as the Top Gear Test Track or a handful of cars that oddly didn't make it to GT6 (Jensen Interceptor anyone?). The thing I am wondering is if PD is going to release one final patch to allow the handful of items that only appeared with online connectivity, for starters one thing is the standard cars that don't cycle through the UCD and only appeared via PD through the OCD (the newer 2010 Jaguar sedan or the standard Enzo for anyone interested), but most importantly I am hoping such a patch would unlock all the museum cards as the nature of acquiring them requires online connectivity.

Your not alone I too would, like to be able to finish this One off. As to the question of Patches... I really hope we get One that kill off the "Connect to PSN" Nag Screen. When your not able to otherwise connect to PSN. I also wonder how this is gonna affect all the DLC for the Game? AFAIK you have to be connected to PSN to actually use the DLC Car & Track Packs...

now I wonder:
what will happen to the Online Car Dealership?
and what will happen to the random cards of the museum that are given when you connect?

I still have to buy some more cars and I miss a lot of cards.
Will I be able to complete the collection after the shutdown?

its dead for me now

i can get into the seasonal menu and scan them but when i click into the content it goes "network unreachable"

but i still got 200% login bonus (lol whut?)

so maybe sony and killing stuff bit by bit

Sorry if this was answered several times, I just can't find anything.

Is it correct that we have to "save" the bought DLC so we can use it ater the server stop?

If yes, how can I do this?

I didn't understand what they meant by car delivery will be shut down... does that mean all my unclaimed car tickets have to be 'delivered' before the 31st or they will be deleted? How will prize cars be given after the 31st?

Also they said Museum will shut down... why? how is that anything to do with the internet? I thought all the cards and pictures are on the disk?

I didn't understand what they meant by car delivery will be shut down... does that mean all my unclaimed car tickets have to be 'delivered' before the 31st or they will be deleted? How will prize cars be given after the 31st?

Also they said Museum will shut down... why? how is that anything to do with the internet? I thought all the cards and pictures are on the disk?
My thoughts exactly.

Sorry if this was answered several times, I just can't find anything.
Is it correct that we have to "save" the bought DLC so we can use it ater the server stop?
If yes, how can I do this?
"The DLC items will be removed from the PlayStation Store on April 30, 2014. If you’ve already purchased and installed these DLC packs, they can be downloaded again in the future (from Account Management menu), with the exception of the “Paint Pack” and “Racing Gear Pack”, which cannot be re-installed if your PS3 game data is deleted."

"The DLC items will be removed from the PlayStation Store on April 30, 2014. If you’ve already purchased and installed these DLC packs, they can be downloaded again in the future (from Account Management menu), with the exception of the “Paint Pack” and “Racing Gear Pack”, which cannot be re-installed if your PS3 game data is deleted."
Thanks 👍

Thanks 👍
I didn't save the DLC, but I didn't do the update and I still have the DLC. I see no benefit whatsoever in doing the update, the update not installed causes online not to work but you can keep the DLCs.
Bye GT5, I sadly may never get to do a dirty shuffle race again..

The DLC only goes away if you somehow delete your game save data...
You can re-download it from the Account Management menu on the XMB
(maybe as a result of downloading the family pack a second time, idk)

Last edited:
This ends my purchasing of any future GT games. I started buying these for my son when they first came out and as he grew up we spent countless hours playing together. He now has a son and we talked about teaching him how to play when he gets old enough, taking him through the various versions of the games and reliving some of the fun he and I experienced.

Under the older versions all the cars you needed were included with the game so starting back over was not a problem. Now, that is not the case and as far as I am concerned GT5 is no better than a cheap paperweight. I purchased GT5 some time ago and played it for a bit then laid it aside to play some other games. When I picked it back up I got to really enjoying the play and even developed a liking for B-SPEC which I did not care for to start with. Fortunately I have all the cars I need to win with but went back in today to look at purchasing some more online and that was out.

I have already purchased GT6 but it will be the last one. Extremely poor foresight on the part of Sony in my estimation and the long term backlash may be more than they anticipated.

Back