GT5 run on SSD

• Thread starter civicgsir
  • 43 comments
I also posted something about this as well.

Here's some insight:

-you never want to defrag an SSD, this tends to not break but hurt the performance of the drive if you do this in a PC OS. I also noticed you don't want to do a full format as I've seen those that did, it fails! A quick format is sufficient.
-If you do go out and and get an SSD drive, any drive WON'T work fine, you need to research and make sure it has a firmware feature that dumps cache files like "Garbage Collection" similar to the TRIM function of Windows 7 on its own or the SSD drive performance will decrease in performance. This is a big feature to look for as the PS3 OS doesn't support TRIM or like this feature and in time your drive will collect crap and possibly crash on you.
-Also understand you are running a risk of your data being lost. Sometimes my F80 doesn't get recognized when my PS3 is turned on with a cold boot. Be patient as the SSD may not work 100% of the time. BUT, it hasn't failed me yet and I've had mine for about 2 weeks now! I've done various things to get mine to come back on like reseating the drive, powering it completely off then back on, or even sometimes a simple reboot; so don't be alarmed when you get the message "Insert the proper hard drive".

-I will a test though, load times and certain bits of game performance have been noticeable; but there's one major benefit that a lot of people aren't gettting that will become important as players progress in the game and the races get longer and longer: HEAT! The good thing about SSD drives is they don't give off much heat and this will help with the thermal issues of older PS3's

Hope this helps, enjoy!

I've seen a lot of references to fragmentation in this thread.

Fragmentation is not an issue with the PS3 since it uses a Linux derived file system.

Look for a defrag utility for any Linux distro... You won't find many since the filesystem is more intelligent than FAT/FAT32/NTFS.

Also, from what I understand TRIM/Garbage Collection isn't an issue with the Linux filesystems. I'm not a Linux guru, but as far as I know these "features" are not needed in Linux since the filesystem is far more robust.

EDIT: I put an Intel X25-M in my PS3 and it's been working great. Some people may not want to spend the dough to upgrade for a few seconds of speed... However, as much as *I* play GT5, those saved seconds add up over extended play. Most tracks load before the entire race roster is displayed even once. Before I installed the SSD the roster would scroll by at least once, usually twice.

Last edited:
Look for a defrag utility for any Linux distro... You won't find many since the filesystem is more intelligent than FAT/FAT32/NTFS.

Also, from what I understand TRIM/Garbage Collection isn't an issue with the Linux filesystems. I'm not a Linux guru, but as far as I know these "features" are not needed in Linux since the filesystem is far more robust.

This stems lower levels then the file system, it is how data is written to the sectors of a particular SolidStateDrive. Flash drive (NAND) technology in terms of "write data sector management" or "recycling" of those sectors is regardless of the file system or OS. It is not about "Fragmentation" as in the Windows operating systems and how data is written to a drive in the OS's file system.

To better understand why Linux doesn't have a Defrag feature refer to this:
http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php/2006/08/17/why_doesn_t_linux_need_defragmenting

To understand SSD and how they work:
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix09/tech/full_papers/rajimwale/rajimwale.pdf

Features like Block Management, Intelligent Recycling (Garbage Collection) and other features that help extend the life and performance of SSD's. This also affects read and write speeds over time. So if you look to getting an SSD make sure it has reputable features like these, regardless as TRIM is a feature that is only supported in the following OS's:

• Windows 7
  • Windows Server 2008 R2
  • Linux 2.6.33 (Feb 2010)
  • OpenSolaris July 2010
  • FreeBSD 8.1 (Only for low-level erase) July 2010 Version 9.0 (Proposed possibly May 2011)
  • Mac OS X

Also worth noting:

Corsair no longer is making the F80, as the F90 will replace this with better "Intelligent Recycling" as they call it. Also thuroughputs will increase in both Read and Write access in the F90 (90GB) and F180 (180GB) opposed to the models they replace F80 and F200 respectively.

http://www.moreupdates.com/stories/...X2Y5MF9zc2RfcmV2aWV3X2Nzc2RmOTBnYjJicmt0.html

Some people may not want to spend the dough to upgrade for a few seconds of speed... However, as much as *I* play GT5, those saved seconds add up over extended play. Most tracks load before the entire race roster is displayed even once. Before I installed the SSD the roster would scroll by at least once, usually twice.

:eek:There's a race roster before the race? I didn't know there was anything, i usually see half a bar (except online games different there) and that's it, I'm ready to race.

I've found in online games, I haven't seen much of a benefit. But I think there's other factors at stake like latency issues (wireless, slow connections up and down, bad host that tries to carry 16 people when they cant host more then 8, etc).

Changing my PS3's built-in HDD to SSD cut overall install/load times in half. Everything feels a lot zippier. For me that's a HUGE difference in game enjoyment, especially since the game makes you jump through so many superfluous time-consuming hoops already - like those never-ending animations for oil change, new car presentation etc. There's just too many unnecessary delays everywhere.

That depends on a lot of factors, like the quality of the flash memory and drive firmware, and how you use the PS3. Most drives have a MTBF listed, for mine it is 1,000,000 hours.

I totally agree with Xanonymous, the SSD makes a HUGE difference for me.

That depends on a lot of factors, like the quality of the flash memory and drive firmware, and how you use the PS3. Most drives have a MTBF listed, for mine it is 1,000,000 hours.

I totally agree with Xanonymous, the SSD makes a HUGE difference for me.

So, with normal use, just playing games, and maybe stream a movie, it will probably work as long as a PS3 will?

Read cycles are unlimited for MLC NAND flash, while write/erase cycles are limited to about 10,000 per cell. Under (theoretical) constant (24/7) 100 percent write load this would roughly translate to a minimum lifetime of about 6 months. Under average/normal usage the drive should last a couple of years in the PS3, which is about the same as a HDD.

Very intersting......

Am looking to put an SSD in my PC, and remove all the SATA HDDs (4 of) out and put in an external caddy of sorts. Keep the SSD purely for the OS etc.

Never contemplated putting one in my 'new' PS3.....but i only got the PS3 for GT5, so why not take out the 320GB HDD and replace with **GB SSD?

If it's quicker, then it's a no brainer to me. Just ensure you buy a decent SSD as said before my post.

Thanks guys.

:)

I did this a few weeks back. I swapped my Fatty's 40Gb 5400rpm for a Vertex 2 60Gb. As others have stated, the track load times are reduced by more than 50% and the overall UI experience is much more responsive. Definitely worth it for me. It's a very easy upgrade too.

OCZ (& Intel, Kingston,) is about to roll out their "3rd generation" of SSD drives this spring (sometime March/April/May) where mainstream performance will be boosted. Don't expect $/GB to drop for another good 2 years, at least. If price were to drop now, it would kill off the mechanical HDD market too quickly. But I am about to replace my 60GB Fat with an 90-120GB SSD too. PS4 will include SSD, but that's still 4 years away at least

Back