GT5 Tuning Guides

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 173 comments
Can someone tell me how to get rid of oversteer in a car? I can't look at the guides because I'm on my iPod.

This has to be the most complete guide I've read on GT tuning, but definitely the one that best shows you the reasoning and logic behind every tuning effect.

Great thanks to Scaff!

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I noticed that the guide says toe in is negative, but when I look at GT5's graphic, it looks like negative is toe out...

A quick question. From which Viper can I get the most power out of?
I know the old GTS gives 962 (not driven), but what about the new ones?

And which car can be tuned to the most powerful? Stock cars, not racing ones. And I don't care about speed.. :P

Last edited:
stratotone

The files will need firstly need extracting (they're zipped on initial download). Just right click on the file and select 'Extract to here'.

To open the files once extracted, you would use a PDF reader, such as Adobe Acrobat. A free download to a limited version should be available at:

www.adobe.com

Having said that, if you 'right click' the extracted file, you will see an option saying 'open with'. If you select your normal web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox etc...) you can also view the file like that which saves you downloading a PDF reader at all.

pEAs2011

Is there any way someone could put up just a straight PDF version, as in no .zip file, of these guides somewhere? I'm on my iphone and it would make it easier for me because I would be lookin at them on my phone most of the time. I mostly mean could someone do this if it's convenient for them, im not wanting anyone to feel like they have to go too far out of their way especially if the PDFs are just too big to do that with.

Is there any way someone could put up just a straight PDF version, as in no .zip file, of these guides somewhere? I'm on my iphone and it would make it easier for me because I would be lookin at them on my phone most of the time. I mostly mean could someone do this if it's convenient for them, im not wanting anyone to feel like they have to go too far out of their way especially if the PDFs are just too big to do that with.

sorry dude i tried but i got this:

Upload Errors
GT4 Suspension & Brake Tuning guide.pdf:
Your file of 2.13 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 1.00 MB for this filetype.
GT4 Downforce, LSD and Gear Ratio Tuning Guide.pdf:
Your file of 1.45 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 1.00 MB for this filetype.

Hi , i have a 70 challenger and have increased the hp and the problem i am having is when going down a long straight i am maxing out the rev's .

I added a 5 speed tranny and that didnt help .

Do i need the 20,000 tranny so that i can adjust the gear ratios.

Thanks

Yes mate, you do need the 20,000 one, it doesn't get it's speed from the high revs. Obv. :)

Thanks to cleanvrsix for posting an iPhone friendly version of the tuning guide. For other iPhone users, if you keep followig the links and prompts, it should eventually ask you to open the guide in iBooks. That way you have a local copy on your phone.

To Scaff- you should be proud that the guide you wrote at least 5 years ago (I think that's how long it's been since I last looked at guide) remains the definitive intro to serious tuning.

One last note--I'm definately looking forward to the update for the iPhone sprig rate calculator.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I noticed that the guide says toe in is negative, but when I look at GT5's graphic, it looks like negative is toe out...

You're correct. It took me a while to notice this, but GT5's toe scale is indeed inverted. As the in-game diagram shows, -0.5 would be toe OUT, and +0.5 would be toe in, on GT5. Well spotted, and worth remembering. :lol:

959 posts!
images

Downloaded the 2 files and they both say GT4, now in the link you list GT4, GT5P and GT5 but the documents itself only says GT4, should i assume it works the same in GT5 as in GT4 and thats the reason nothing is updated? Im confused if this is the correct guide or not, could you please verify what is what?

cheers

Downloaded the 2 files and they both say GT4, now in the link you list GT4, GT5P and GT5 but the documents itself only says GT4, should i assume it works the same in GT5 as in GT4 and thats the reason nothing is updated? Im confused if this is the correct guide or not, could you please verify what is what?

cheers

For the most part it transfers to GT5... we're still debating the changes from GT4 to GT5 as you can find there is a lot of disagreement in the random subject threads on everything from LSD tuning to Suspension Dampening theories...

Thank you very much for the guide. I had as close to no idea how to tune as you could come and I started my first tune last night. It's really awesome the difference you can make in the car's response. I only tweaked a little bit and a very squirrely car is now very manageable.

Thank you so much for these excellent guides Scaff. I enjoy reading the good discussions on brakes etc.

I have a question regarding brake bias tuning in GT5.
By deafult all cars are set up with a brake balance of 5/5 in GT5. When reading your guides that would mean that all cars are originally set up with the same amount on braking force on the front and rear wheels(if I read it right). This would make most cars extremly rear biased, but I don't find them to behave that way with the original settings in the game.

My question is, would a brake balance setting of 5/5 in GT5 mean 50% braking force on the front and 50% braking force on the rear axle or does it mean the "neutral" or factory setting of that particular car with i.e an actual 70/30 brake balance?

Best regards
Tintorera

Titorera, Most cars in GT do have a heavy rear brake bias, this is one reason it is almost impossible to drive a car with the default brake settings with ABS off.

secondly the size of the rear brakes in comparison to that of the front brakes has in my opinion been factored into the equation. So most cars will have some front braking bias for this reason, A perfect example of a car this shows up on is the Nissan Fairlady Z. This car has monster rear brakes and as a result pretty much always suffers from rear wheel lock, even on a setting of 0.

Hey NMRacing and thanks for your answer.

Titorera, Most cars in GT do have a heavy rear brake bias, this is one reason it is almost impossible to drive a car with the default brake settings with ABS off.

If you read the articles from stop tech, they state that most cars are by factory deafult front biased, for several reasons.
I find it confusing that PD is altering the brake characteristics for most crars from front to rear biased as the original setting in the game.

I agree that when tuning brakes I normally get a much more stable car when setting the brakes to ie. 6/2 rather than the original 5/5.
And I understand the basics of tuning, after reading the brilliant guides(Scaff) and these good discussions in the threads.

It just puzzels me that on this matter the original setting in GT5 would not correspond with the original bias of the same car in the real world.

i know I'm going to get flamed for this because it'll be posted elsewhere and I'm just too dumb/lazy to look for it, but I gotta ask how come you always have to add 20 mph or so to the 'geared' top speed when you set the gear ratios on the fully adjustable gearbox?

I set for 249 for La Sarthe and the car is maxing out at 232. I figure it can't be aero, cos then I just wouldn't hit the limiter at all.

Back