GT6 Gameplay Crashes by PS3 Model

• Thread starter Famine
  • 117 comments

Have you experienced any GT6 gameplay crashes (read post 1 before voting)

• No crashes: 1st generation fat (CECHA, B)

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • No crashes: 2nd generation fat (CECHC, E)

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • No crashes: 3rd generation fat/40Gb (CECHG, H, J)

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • No crashes: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)

Votes: 25 7.5%
  • No crashes: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Votes: 132 39.8%
  • No crashes: 5th generation superslim (CECH40)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Crashed!: 1st generation fat (CECHA, B)

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Crashed!: 2nd generation fat (CECHC, E)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Crashed!: 3rd generation fat/40Gb (CECHG, H, J)

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Crashed!: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Crashed!: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Votes: 62 18.7%
  • Crashed!: 5th generation superslim (CECH40)

Votes: 17 5.1%

• Total voters

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
So there you are, racing along in GT6 and suddenly... the screen goes blank, the console lets out three rapid, but painful beeps and you're staring at a blinking red light and the darkness...

Or maybe you've yet to experience the empty, aghast terror of twinkling crimson death?

We, following an earlier thread, are trying to determine if this situation is more likely or common on certain types of PS3 console than others, so please insert your experience in the above poll. Note that multiple options are permitted simply because some folk have more than one console 'pon which they play GT6, so you should pick all that apply to you.

You may be confused by some of the options above so to clarify:

1st Generation Fat (CECHA, B) - the original launch console in NTSC regions (primarily Japan and North America), with 20Gb and 60Gb HDDs.

2nd Generation Fat (CECHC, E) - the original launch console in PAL regions (primarily Europe), with 60Gb and 80Gb HDDs.

3rd Generation Fat/40Gb (CECHG, H, J) - the second wave of consoles in both regions, with 40Gb HDDs.

3rd Generation Fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q) - the second wave of consoles in both regions, with either 80Gb or 160Gb HDDs.

4th Generation Slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30) - the second form of PS3, redesigned and slimmed down, with any of the available HDDs.

5th Generation Superslim (CECH40) - the PS3's final form, with a top loading BluRay drive

If there's continued confusion - probably within the fats and amongst those who've upgraded or swapped the hard drive - you can find your PS3's model number on the back of the console where the serial number sticker is.

And remember, we're not after any and all crashes (such as the one that affected the v1.03 update) - ONLY triple-beep crashes from within actual gameplay .

oops i accidently voted for both crashed & no Crashes for 4th generation slim
i only meant to vote for " no crashes 4th generation CECH-20 "

Does it matter if it's a digit copy of the game or BD? That may make a difference to the crashes. I have a digit copy and had no issues with crashing or any problems at all.

A much better poll, the original OP didn't have the advantage of the full version list (still a good attempt though).

I think we'll need a stand-out winner to be sure of a "bad" system, for the poll to be considered literally accurate we'd have to be sure that all PS3 models were evenly represented through the poll-voters, and also be sure that all their PS3s were in a similar state of repair/condition/originality.

That isn't a criticism of the poll - I just think people should be careful how they interpret the data, this is a case where correlation could definitely != causation :)

All that said, I'm looking forward to seeing the results :D

PS3 SuperSlim: no gameplay crashes at all besides the 1.0 crashes when turning off the game - disappeared after 1.02 patch.

I've had this happen upon trying to view online replays and whilst in an online lobby mid-race on more than one occasion. I have a 12gb superslim with upgraded hdd.

Looks like 4th gen slim is the way to go :). Mine doesn't crash (slim).

Edit: I should note mine has an aftermarket Blu Ray reader with stock HDD.

Looks like 4th gen slim is the way to go :). Mine doesn't crash (slim).

Edit: I should note mine has an aftermarket Blu Ray reader with stock HDD.

At the moment of this post:
Slim 4th crashes 9/36 times = 2.5/10
Fatty 3rd gen crashes 3/10
Superslim crashes 3/13 = 2.3/10!

Although none of these are significant I guess, I'd say the superslim is the way to go...

I am not going to do the whole poll, just look at the ratios and don't just go by high numbers. Probably the most people have the 4th gen slim...

My super slim has been crashing so much I couldn't give a number. It's only when I try to go into the seasonal's.
I have an older 250g HD in it.
Not sure if it's my fibre optic wired connection, the hard drive, a fault with PD updates or something their end

No triple beep crashes first gen slim (4th gen PS3 I guess it is). I did have the replay lock up once or twice and the kart series race used to lock up from time to time but beyond that it's been pretty smooth for me.

I didn't get a direct black screen and triple beep automatically, but I had the entire system and game lock up while driving into the downhill section at Bathurst, the result caused my wheel to spin all the way to left lock and nothing was responsive. I had to press the power button wait for the 3 beeps which prompted a file system restore on reboot. Crash enough for me to vote. 4th gen slim, all stock factory hardware (HDD, etc.)

Last edited:
Mine has stopped loading GT6 but only on the Seasonal races mine is the super slim 250gb model CECH40.

First one was the KTM seasonal. I had just finished a lap with a gold time and tried to exit the Seasonal screen when it froze on a transition screen. All it showed was all black but I can still hear the music. I tried waiting but it wouldn't load so I exited the game via the PS3 button. It didn't cause the PS3 to crash but I did lose my credits, all my settings I used on the KTM, and even the miles I ran, it reset back to 0 miles. Basically it didn't save any progress so I had to enter all my previous suspension and other settings and rerun the seasonal. It was weird because it showed I didn't get gold but I still had my lap time I ran before it quit loading.

The second freeze was messed up. It was the Trial Mountain with the 86GT. I pressed select to try restart and the game just froze and wouldn't respond at all, with my car stuck on the screen. No amount of PS3 button, Select or anything would cause the game to quit. Being a super slim I couldn't hold the power button, so I had to resort to pulling the power cord out. This of course caused the PS3 to do the system file check.

No crashes: 2nd generation fat (CECHC, E)

That's what I have, although it's a refurb as my original launch console got the YLOD and mine sure loves to crash playing GT6, makes me not bother to play it. I would just get a new PS3 since my drive has decided it does not want to load FIFA now as well but I can't afford one, shame.

GT5 Prologue killed my 1st gen PS3 FAT (40GB), Sony replaced my PS3 for $250 was oow
GT6 Killed my replaced PS3 FAT (120GB SSD), unrecoverable , sold it for $40 and bought a used Slim, for $200. (they don't sell cheap, expected)

works flawlessly to this day.
edit: my gamepad blew on recharge connection. luckily, the T500RS acts as a gamepad.

I'll keep buying a PS3 to play GT6 if I have to. worth it. just let's not induce it on purpose, ok Sony? Don't conspire like Nvidia and bad publishers do, to explode videocards on game launch day.

It's a big business for component manufacturers, I have inside news that this is happening.

I may buy the Digital version of GT6, as I somehow feel the disc access is also a culprit. the way mine died, there was a very strange noise from the system just prior YLOD/RLOD. like disc shuffling, or sloppy read access.

No crashes: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

I had 3-beep shut downs, but those always happened when I quit the game myself and there was no checks/repairs required. It still quit the game to the PS main menu even though it beeped 3 times. I thought it had something to to do with HDD access because the game installed to the HDD all the time.

Haven't had any beeps since 1.03 or so.

* Crashed!: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Like Chrix above, I had three beeps when quitting the game fairly often. I also had the game freeze on menu screens etc but for the first time, last Friday... I was 17 laps into a 109 lap online endurance race at indy road course when the described crash happened. No incidents since. I have the digital version and a 3 month old Samsung 250gb HDD.

Incidence of crashing seems to be just over 25% for all models; except first and second gen fats being much higher (probably not helped by age and low number of submissions), whilst the slims are just under 25% (probably because of the large number of submissions).

That's interesting, although I have no idea what it could possibly mean.

For completeness, I have a CECH20 and only got the "update crashes" (which there is a workaround for - either be quick in accepting the update, or cancel and retry!) and a couple of network-related freezes when loading seasonals.

No crashes: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

PS3 hasn't crashed during the actual gameplay. Only in menus and such.

Latest Posts

Back