GT6 Photomode Photographers Q&A #17 - ARC74

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 233 comments
From this:
14847681713_7c4e3646ee_z.jpg

To this:
14231056295_a9bacfa483.jpg

And this place is still full of people who frown upon editing. These two pictures are proof that editing is bloody awesome!!

Thanks Jeremy
Your images is some of the best here on :gtpflag: and thanks for sharing your tips! - You have a style that you made your own and think hundreds :bowdown: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

A Comment in general - Thank YOU for being so humble - Have seen your comments many a place, and is usually in anyone who has started a gallery's first, or first 5 posts.
Always encouraging a newbie and always seeing the good in any bad image!
- For that my friend THANK YOU -

Hope you find some time while on holiday to show us some of your latest.

PS. I like the architecture Images you took with the F1

Thanks for posting Jérémy, your artistic touch is very inspirational and I am glad that you shared some of your personal life and editing procedures with us. Although we all may have different tastes in what we want to produce, it is impossible to not to admire the creative editing work that you and other members have "enlightened" us with. Learning new techniques will only enhance our abilities. This is why I always look forward to reading and often come back to these posts and you certainly gave us plenty to consider (I've read it 3 times already and did some Photoshop testing). "Kodje-san you have honored us with a Premium interview"

sorry to ask @Kodje but im a little confused about the HDR advice section... how do you do that? what do you do to create a HDR effect in the first place???

Awesome interview/presentation Jeremy, and thanks for providing a detailed explanation on the editing procedure of each one of your photowork.

It was so interesting to read your answers to each question of the interview, and found the tips on the ropes of photo editing a good help for me to some extent. :)

As many have said already that was a great interview Jeremy. The breakdown of that Huayra shot is great. Nice to see it come together. And or course some more insight into your artistic style is great to read about. :cheers:

I must say since your first interview and that your interest in photography IRL has taken off that side of things has really done good things for you, those shots from your dads old camera are really nice. Very well composed and great colour and clarity. Well done mate. 👍

And I would say that your variety in edting has definitely improved in GT6 and that has been great to see. Looking forward to more from you. ;) 👍

That was a great interview Jérémy. Well worth the wait and those photographs you posted are brilliant.

Thanks for the nomination too!

If anyone could suggest a photo of mine to use for question #9 i'd be grateful. :)
Thx a lot Lee, I'm especially glad you like the "real" photographs :cheers:

Very nice and interesting read, Jeremy. :cheers:

Maybe I'll try out Photomatix with your settings.
Merci Nicolas :)

watching that pagani shot transform nearly made me cry... 'not the most beautiful shot' my ass!!!

:embarrassed::embarrassed:
Thx !

Jeremy, so nice. Very interesting interview and hope you will make more pics with your Canon F1. Keep it up my friend!
Thx a lot !

Thanks Jeremy
Your images is some of the best here on :gtpflag: and thanks for sharing your tips! - You have a style that you made your own and think hundreds :bowdown: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

A Comment in general - Thank YOU for being so humble - Have seen your comments many a place, and is usually in anyone who has started a gallery's first, or first 5 posts.

:embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

Thx a million Werner !

Thanks for posting Jérémy, your artistic touch is very inspirational and I am glad that you shared some of your personal life and editing procedures with us. Although we all may have different tastes in what we want to produce, it is impossible to not to admire the creative editing work that you and other members have "enlightened" us with. Learning new techniques will only enhance our abilities. This is why I always look forward to reading and often come back to these posts and you certainly gave us plenty to consider (I've read it 3 times already and did some Photoshop testing). "Kodje-san you have honored us with a Premium interview"

Dōmo arigatō gozaimasu Metalsun-sama :)

I'm really proud if you find in my interview some things to use in your own work mate !

sorry to ask @Kodje but im a little confused about the HDR advice section... how do you do that? what do you do to create a HDR effect in the first place???

The HDR is just a tool to work on photo, and especially on contrast by using different exposures of the same photo. You can have a look to this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_imaging and read this tuto : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-long-awaited-hdr-tutorial-from-sixtoes.186834/

And if you have any question send me a pm, if I could I will help :)

Great stuff, Jeremy! You've certainly carried all the skill you had with GT5 to GT6! :bowdown:

Thx a lot mate !

Awesome read Jeremy!!!! Inspirational!! Love the shots from your father's camera....beautiful!

Thx, glad you like my real work my friend !

Awesome interview/presentation Jeremy, and thanks for providing a detailed explanation on the editing procedure of each one of your photowork.

It was so interesting to read your answers to each question of the interview, and found the tips on the ropes of photo editing a good help for me to some extent. :)

Thx ! Really happy if I can help you :cheers:

GPR
As many have said already that was a great interview Jeremy. The breakdown of that Huayra shot is great. Nice to see it come together. And or course some more insight into your artistic style is great to read about. :cheers:

I must say since your first interview and that your interest in photography IRL has taken off that side of things has really done good things for you, those shots from your dads old camera are really nice. Very well composed and great colour and clarity. Well done mate. 👍

And I would say that your variety in edting has definitely improved in GT6 and that has been great to see. Looking forward to more from you. ;) 👍

Thank you very much George :cheers:

Man! completely forgot about this thread :banghead:

Thanks Jeremy

I agree with @Stopforpetrol 100%. I'm nowhere near as good as any of the people named on this thread but I always see @Kodje encouraging noobs like myself. His photo skills are only surpassed by his kindness to others. By far one of the most talented and HUMBLE artists on this forum.

The same applies to @MoMo PeeZero! Another super talent that always stops to drop a kind word or two. It's guys like these that make this place such a welcoming and nurturing environment (unlike the other forums where they're quick to shut you down for misspelling a word or something :lol:).

Great insight to both of your lives! Thank you both for sharing! 👍👍

You instantly inspired me to get some 'Glow' going in some of my photos. My eyes fall out on each of your shots. "How is he doing this?" You make Career-Ending shots...dam.:nervous:

You are a unique talent that I, two years later, am still amazed. Your generous tips, and advice helped me overcome many obstacles.

You see things differently, it shows in your work. You are an Original.

I'm your biggest fan, I have all of your recordings!!!:dopey:👍

That said, you are the Man, stay that way.👍

You instantly inspired me to get some 'Glow' going in some of my photos. My eyes fall out on each of your shots. "How is he doing this?" You make Career-Ending shots...dam.:nervous:

You are a unique talent that I, two years later, am still amazed. Your generous tips, and advice helped me overcome many obstacles.

You see things differently, it shows in your work. You are an Original.

I'm your biggest fan, I have all of your recordings!!!:dopey:👍

That said, you are the Man, stay that way.👍

Thx a lot Gary, don't change anuthing you are really the nice guy here my friend :cheers: 👍

From this:
14847681713_7c4e3646ee_z.jpg

To this:
14231056295_a9bacfa483.jpg

And this place is still full of people who frown upon editing. These two pictures are proof that editing is bloody awesome!!

Long live editing...and the editors, another fine example of how you can go further, and sometimes better!

@leeislee i reckon a new question should be added to the list: Why do you choose to take photo's in GT instead of its rivals?

Because it seems weird to me that all you pro's stick around here when there are much better looking games out there now.

@leeislee i reckon a new question should be added to the list: Why do you choose to take photo's in GT instead of its rivals?

Because it seems weird to me that all you pro's stick around here when there are much better looking games out there now.

I would love to see some the folks on this side have a go at a couple of the others games as well, nevertheless what they are doing here is just great.

There are lots of other great looking games but it comes down to the fact that not everyone can or wants to go out and buy new consoles and new games.

I'm sure though that better looking games would produce some awesome pictures from members on GTP but then they still produce incredible images using GT6.

Halloo ?
Never mind the thread about - Stop posting huge photo's :banghead:

I want too see some new content here please Lee :odd:
Sure some other's will agree

SO-
Keep this thread alive please brother !!:bowdown:
I agree. Lee, not to be condescending, but maybe you could nominate someone else to write one up whilst you finish writing yours. it would appear that you simply do not have enough time on your hands, but it has been quite a while since the last Q&A.

1, How about an introduction?
Hello. My name is Lee. I'm from Liverpool, England although i now live in North Wales with my girlfriend Michelle, Our cats Moo & George and our little dog Scully.

10933826_612304338871268_5831816248462166568_n.jpg

I loved Lego when i was a kid and recently fell back in love with it. It's good for the mind!

2, What keeps you coming back to the GTP Photomode Forums?
When i want to see some of the best automotive photography on the internet i come here. When i want to steal everyones ideas i come here!

It's a great place to be a member of and i honestly think the Photomode forum is the best on the whole of GTplanet. There is never a sense of trolling or showing off, It's all about appreciating each others work, helping each other and just generally being a nice place to share all things GT!

You're all awesome and very talented. Infact, some of you blow my mind...a lot!

3, What where you looking forward to the most before GT6 was released?
Hmm...I had no real hopes for GT6. I had a feeling it was just one last money maker for PD while the focused on a PS4 release and i think i've been proved right. One thing i was looking forward to was seeing what other GTP photomoder members would get out of GT6.

On the actual way GT6 has been released and developed i'm totally disappointed. The advertised features like the track maker are STILL absent, the photomode is still basic and flawed and although the addition of the vision gt cars are great there are still so many great cars absent and we're left with almost 3.8 million Nissans and other Japanese duplicate cars.

It's sad that such a great game has been left for dead by the latest car titles in terms of premium car content, stunning scenery and whatever else i can think of. (Yes i know the PS3 has it's limitation but by getting rid of a good 3.7 million Japanese duplicates it would make room for more content.

Put it this way, GT7 better be one hell of a good release to make me come back.

4, Of all the new cars in GT6, which one is your favourite and why?
I love most of the new Vision cars aswell as others of course but some are still beyond bad to look at. I love my classic cars so anything old and curvy just makes me want to shoot it...but then i love all these futuristic cars too (apart from that god awful looking Nissan Vision GT)

5, Which of the new locations is your favourite and why?
The first place i drove on when i got GT6 was Matterhorn. The light there especially just before it gets dark is amazing. Willow springs is superb too. I love all the new track locations but i really don't like any of the photomode ones apart from The City of Arts and Sciences. That one is brilliant. Infact, i can't even think of the names of the others because i never use them. That first one with the bridge is terrible. It's like something from a PS2 game.

I was also looking forward to taking the new Vision cars to Kart Space for some futuristic looking photos but PD in their strange wisdom had other ideas! So that's another feature they've stopped us enjoying.

6, Is there any feature, that isn't in the game, that you would have liked to see?
A lot more camera features. More freedom to get the shots we like and not be so constrained by height and where we can and cant go. As for the actual game side of it i'm not really interested in serious racing, i just race to win money for more cars to shoot.

7, What car, which isn't in the game, would you like to have included in GT6?
There are litterally too many to list but i can list some of my favourite types of cars i just WISH could be in the game:

Proper Hot Rods and Rat Rods. Some of the classic movie cars, even daft ones like the Pink Panther Mobile and the Munsters car. Even the Batmobiles would be great.

As for real world cars there are more than i could mention and pretty much all of them will never be in the game.

8, Could you share a location that you'd love to see added to GT6?
The obvious, a studio location. Which are already in the game but aren't selectable for some stupid reason. A lot more places that are just beautiful with or without cars. The Lake District, The Highlands and lochs of Scotland, The Welsh mountains, New York, Sydney harbour, Grand Canyon and many more. I would also suggest the beautiful Liverpool waterfront...oh and more industrial settings like a steel works.

9, Could you talk us through one of your GT6 pictures from start to finish?
I'll try to remember how i did 'To Tame A Land' as suggested by @Stopforpetrol. It's actually a very simple edit.
1, This was the original picture i took at Willow Springs...
1.jpg

2, Because the car is driving into the sunlight i darkened the back of the car and added a bit of a shadow on the track...
2.jpg

3, I wanted to brighten the image a little bit without overly brightening the ground, so i darkened the ground very slightly first...
3.jpg

4, Again a slight adjustment to the overall brightness to even out the values...
4.jpg

5, Next i do a step i always like to do, i remove 99% of the blues from the image... (unless i'm shooting a blue car of course)
5.jpg

6, Next i desaturated the image and added a subtle blue and green colour cast. I done this to add some nice dusk lighting to the image and add a nice colour to the sky. It killed the red of the brake lights...
6.jpg

7, So i added the red back...
7.jpg

8, And some lovely glowing redness to them...
8.jpg

9, Now for some of my boring and oh so predictable glowing, mystical, dreamy lighting. I made a nice circular pink to orange gradient...
9.jpg

10, Changed that gradient layer to SCREEN blending mode and about 35% opacity...
10.jpg

11, Now to finish it off with a bit of sun. I created a yellow, orange and pink circular grandient and again changed the blend mode to SCREEN...
11.jpg

12, And I added a very subtle Chroma Hoop (rainbow flare) by using a large round brush and making an outer glow gradient in the Layer Blending Options. After a little crop, here is the final image, i told you it was simple.

10, How about giving us a mini tutorial on any aspect of photographing in GT6?
I'd say try your best to avoid in game lens flares as they never look real. They're often square for a start!

11, Can you give us a mini tutorial on any aspect of editing?
Ok, here's a little trick that you may not know. You can sharpen an image by using Blur. Yes, you can, i'm not pulling your leg.

It's a sneeky way of sharpening and adding contrast at the same time. Here's how:

1, Open your image (obviously)
2, Duplicate your layer
3, Set the duplicated layers blending mode to VIVID LIGHT
4, Hit CTRL+I to invert the layer
5, Go to the FILTER menu and select BLUR > SURFACE BLUR
6, Experiment with the Radius and Threshold settings. I keep my radius low, sometimes 5 and under and i treat the threshold as the strength of the sharpening effect, don't put it right to the top though, again experiment. When you're ready, click OK
7, Hit CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + E on your keyboard to merge the layers onto a new layer
8, You should now have 3 layers, the original, Background Copy and the merged layer on top...Delete the Background Copy Layer and the click on the merged layer again to select it.
9, Change the merged layers blending mode to OVERLAY.
10, Now go to the IMAGE menu then ADJUSTMENTS > SHADOW/HIGHLIGHTS
11, Here is where you can alter the contrast of the sharpening layer, make sure the SHOW MORE OPTIONS box is ticked and then move the MIDTONE CONTRAST slider around to get something you're happy with.

That's it, you can always use whatever method of sharpening you prefer but this method limits the amount of haloing.

If all of that is too much to understand i've attached the photoshop action to this post.

12, What part of photography/editing do you need to improve on and why?
Everything, I love learning and life would be pretty dull if we didn't continue to learn and improve.

13, Do you ever see a picture and think "How did they do that?". Which GTPlanet photomode members picture would you like to know more about?
YES! I love @NBDESIGNZ (Nic) way of editing. His colours and values are always so rich. I wish he would share his secrets to the rest of us.

14, Do you have any words of wisdom or anything else you can share to inspire the rest of us?
Firstly, go ahead and like my pretty much ignored Facebook photography page:
https://www.facebook.com/leeworrallphotography

Now, Make sure every step you take is forward. Don't ever be afraid to take a step backwards. Don't get offended by criticism. Learn from those you admire, Learn as much as you can in your life and most importantly....

Be Excellent To Each Other

15, Finally, Who would you like to nominate for the next Q&A session and why?
It's time we heard from the very talented Markus, @KING OF SKULLS. His work is always a joy to see

Attachments

• Sharpen With Blur - Lee.zip
    981 bytes · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back