GT6 Replay Mode Discussion

• Thread starter qgroundhog
  • 30 comments
qgroundhog
Tell me what you guys want to see in the gt6 replays. Can be anything from certain camera angles to a fast forward and rewind button. I personally want more of those fisheye lens effects around corners. I also want the engine noises to be very loud when doing a high speed flyby.

Excited to hear what you think! Cheers!

Yes, the volume is unrealistically low in replay mode.

I'd like to be able to set camera positions and default focal length for each camera anywhere on or above the circuit. Also get rid of the fake low quality on wide angle cameras (eg Daytona). Broadcasting camera technology has evolved. Also a helicopter camera and cameras on wires at designated places like happens at Silverstone would be good.

I want the ability to render my replay to a photomode quality high def video at 60fps (MP4).

Sounds nice, although if each frame takes 10 seconds to render, then one second of replay would take 10*60=600 seconds, or 10 minutes, to render. A 6.30 lap around Nordshleife would take 10*(6*60+30)=3 900 minutes, or 65 hours, to render.

Still, might be worth it if you get an awesome replay file in the end.

I would like to have a real time photomode, where you could walk around with the camera in real time (i.e. while the replay is running) and spectate and take pictures of the race from that view. Obviously not walk around on the track, but on the grandstands, by the fences and barriers, in the pit (much like the NASCAR photo location) etc.

Last edited:
Camera angles I'd like are:

Commentary box view
Pit wall view and ability to pan the camera( makes photo mode easier)
View from the stands; front straight, turn 1, overpasses, final turn
the side fender view

I would like a replay option for the camera to focus on random vehicles or look when ever a car is battling for positions in the race

Just better camera angles. If you look at the main straight in Eiffel, you have like 4 cameras on the pit wall, the images just repeat again and again as the car passes...

They need to position better the cameras to give more sense of speed and drama in the replays

...a fast forward and rewind button....

Won't happen, because the replays are basically rendered from raw data in real-time. Fast Forward & Rewind would mean that the whole game-engine has to have enough resources available to actually run e.g. twice as fast as usually. If the PS3 had that much resources to spare, we would see a lot of other things in GT5...

That's why they didn't build it into GT5, and only were able to add the "skip"-buttons for jumping forwards to intermediate splits or 1 complete lap.

Replays in GT aren't recordings, unlike a replay of a real race where you are watching a video recording, GT essentialy reruns the race using game data collected during the race.

There shouldn't be a reason that GT can't fast forward & rewind a replay, other than it's dealing with a lot of data. The replay saved data isn't very large, maybe around 300KB.

I had occurrences in previous GT, even up to Prologue, bringing up a saved replay, that the car will start race normally then at some point run off the track & get stuck, running in place, which didn't happen when the race was originally ran. This is because the game data at some point became corrupted.

I want the ability to render my replay to a photomode quality high def video at 60fps (MP4).
They tried to get this working in GT5, but the PS3 doesn't have enough ram. This is one of those things we'll have to wait for the game to make its way to PS4.

To bounce off of JohnScoonsBeard's post, the team needs to go back and watch some replays from their previous games which have wonderful, varied and dynamic replay views. GT5 is in a rut with all the low angle pan-as-cars-pass shots.

I want to be able to edit camera views too, and save them for each lap on each track, and with a random function that changes to another view on occasion. I would also like to see actual cameras which are showing us these replays. There are camera cranes all over some of these tracks, and PD needs to use them, and animate them to imitate real life. And in this vein, I want RPVs flying around that these flying shots are coming from.

Won't happen, because the replays are basically rendered from raw data in real-time. Fast Forward & Rewind would mean that the whole game-engine has to have enough resources available to actually run e.g. twice as fast as usually. If the PS3 had that much resources to spare, we would see a lot of other things in GT5...
Rewind is easy because it's the same as going forward. Speeding up is easy because GT4 could do it. Just lower the frame rate if it gets taxing.

One more quick thing. Use up and down on the directional pad to switch between cars again! Sticking that in the replay menu was one of the things that vexed me about GT5.

Everyone, watch Jordan's latest gt6 video. In the last 30 seconds or so we see what looks like a replay mode! Already I notice that the engine sounds on high speed flybys are much more aggressive than gt5.

I would love to be able to take my replays and upload them on my PC and then simply show them to my friends using Youtube etc. Would this be possible, or indeed, is it already?

Stop with the automatic replay after each race. It's limited compared to the second replay you can see after the credits are added. Half the time I don't want a replay anyway but am forced to hit the start button after each race to get rid of the one I'm not going to watch. If I do want a replay, the second choice has more options. It's a small beef, but I'll decide if I want a replay.

I would love to be able to take my replays and upload them on my PC and then simply show them to my friends using Youtube etc. Would this be possible, or indeed, is it already?
Not at the moment, you need a capture card because the replay files are just something that only the game can read.
On ps4 i think you can already capture videos on some games, not really sure.
That's something i'd like too.

Replays in GT aren't recordings, unlike a replay of a real race where you are watching a video recording, GT essentialy reruns the race using game data collected during the race.

There shouldn't be a reason that GT can't fast forward & rewind a replay, other than it's dealing with a lot of data. The replay saved data isn't very large, maybe around 300KB.

I had occurrences in previous GT, even up to Prologue, bringing up a saved replay, that the car will start race normally then at some point run off the track & get stuck, running in place, which didn't happen when the race was originally ran. This is because the game data at some point became corrupted.

I confirm

I love the replay camera angles, PD is talent in making movie-like features (heh even Kaz studied Film), as evident of the game trailers they've come up with. Yet I see more people not impressed with the fantasy element of the replays (panning/flying/chasing camera), they like to see more still-types of angles. If they wanted, they should have the option to add a second viewing angle option in replay mode. I don't know, but I love the chasing camera the most.

TV Camera replays...or at least the option to have them.
Most overhead camera angles are a waste...The top of the mountain @ Bathurst for example.

TV Camera replays...or at least the option to have them.
Most overhead camera angles are a waste...The top of the mountain @ Bathurst for example.

This is what I want, The replays to look like a broadcast, or have "Broadcast Angles" option and separate "PD Angles" for those that like PD's artistic angles...

I also like the tv broadcast replay style. That's why I don't fancy the driver's view angle in replays. I always play using cockpit view, but I think it's not realistic to show that angle during replays because it's not supposed to simulate a camera but the driver's eye. Instead they could use interior view 1 and 2 that look like GoPros installed inside.

Most overhead camera angles are a waste...
The artistic vision of Gran Turismo (yes @Gojira) in the replays, is an example of passion...And, with the "philosophy" to show more than one set o cameras per lap,(except Nurburgring) is another example of dedication.

I posted in a different thread that I wanted cameras placed on pit wall. Camera views in the grandstands, commentary boxes and being able to pan those cameras for photos.

Back