GT6 Sales Discussion

PD doesn't really need investors anymore, so the gloating would be more for the sake of gloating and demonstrating how successful the franchise still is, but i don't think it's that successful anymore hence the silence regarding sales numbers 9 months after release.

All we can do is speculate though ;)

If the sales numbers were disastrous, they would have lost money, and would need investors for GT7

I speculate that the sales numbers are satisfactory. PD wouldn't have had that business trip to N24 if things were disastrous.

With their sponsorship of the N24, VLN rounds, Super GT etc. I dont think theyre losing money but are in a good place to put their brand out there.

How could PD not need money? The lack of logic around here astounds me at times.

Yes, if they sold a trillion copies, we'd know. But the fact that they didn't tell us only means they didn't sell a trillion copies; it doesn't say how low the sales are precisely, and it doesn't mean the sales are "low" at all - and that depends on your expectations.

"Satisfactory" sounds about right. And it's really not our problem to worry about how much money Sony can or can't cream off of GT's profits. You can be damned sure they don't reinvest 100%.

It seems that people are trying to use the lack of evidence of sales figures to reinforce their own prejudice about the series. But you can't reinforce anything with a lack of evidence: argument from ignorance.

How could PD not need money? The lack of logic around here astounds me at times.
Most successful racing franchise on consoles ever, millions of copies sold so far, financial backing of Sony and involved in all kinds of other heavily sponsored events on top of that. I don't think poor sales of GT6 will set them back in the piggy bank frankly, it will just dent their ego's that"s all.

Yes, if they sold a trillion copies, we'd know. But the fact that they didn't tell us only means they didn't sell a trillion copies; it doesn't say how low the sales are precisely, and it doesn't mean the sales are "low" at all - and that depends on your expectations.
Your guess is as good as mine. All we have to go on is the VGchartz estimation which doesn't reach 3 million copies (which is very respectable compared to other games but poor for GT).

"Satisfactory" sounds about right. And it's really not our problem to worry about how much money Sony can or can't cream off of GT's profits. You can be damned sure they don't reinvest 100%.
Satisfactory yes indeed. Not much effort was made to enhance the game compared to GT5 apart from it's physics model, basically they re-branded what they already had in terms of gameplay/ graphics / sounds so there was no need to invest much time nor money in making a true sequel and the good $$ return was guaranteed from the get go like that. Sony won't reinvest 100% of the profits, but the fact that they financially back PD is already a major factor by itself.

It seems that people are trying to use the lack of evidence of sales figures to reinforce their own prejudice about the series. But you can't reinforce anything with a lack of evidence: argument from ignorance.
Sales figures are just an indication. The game itself is the only true argument of the pessimists, as it is another step backwards for the series in much people"s opinion. We don't need sales figures to prove that point.

Most successful racing franchise on consoles ever, millions of copies sold so far, financial backing of Sony and involved in all kinds of other heavily sponsored events on top of that. I don't think poor sales of GT6 will set them back in the piggy bank frankly, it will just dent their ego's that"s all.

They still need money to operate; how much, we don't know.

Your guess is as good as mine. All we have to go on is the VGchartz estimation which doesn't reach 3 million copies (which is very respectable compared to other games but poor for GT).

The numbers themselves aren't the issue; it's whether they're "enough". Nobody's guess is good in that case.

Satisfactory yes indeed. Not much effort was made to enhance the game compared to GT5 apart from it's physics model, basically they re-branded what they already had in terms of gameplay/ graphics / sounds so there was no need to invest much time nor money in making a true sequel and the good $$ return was guaranteed from the get go like that. Sony won't reinvest 100% of the profits, but the fact that they financially back PD is already a major factor by itself.

Doesn't impact on the discussion as to whether GT6 is in the red, which is how I interpret "disastrous".
I meant the sales were satisfactory, for Sony.

Sales figures are just an indication. The game itself is the only true argument of the pessimists, as it is another step backwards for the series in much people"s opinion. We don't need sales figures to prove that point.

Some people don't need any "evidence" to prove what they already "know", no, that's been demonstrated aptly already.

2.5 million active users in the past month

20140827_010057jgsz1.jpg

Meanwhile, competitors dream of replicating such disasters

I call BS on 2,5 mln downloads - most likely there are around 2,5 mln (or 2,5 mln connected to the internet) sales and they assumed everyone WAS ABLE to download the car - the potential audience.

Also in order to obtain the car you simply had to do one lap - no gold no nothing. The last time I checked there were around 250k entries on that.

That would mean the remaining 2,250 mln downloaded the update but instead of doing a lap to get the car they bought it.

Yeah..nope.

Sorry to be a party pooper but the current audience of GT6 is at max 300k active users playing online/offline/doing seasonals only.

You really can't call the 2.5 million users "active." I mean we HAD to download the update to play the game online and I haven't played the game since early August in fact.

I don't believe there are 2.5 million active players every day or at least overall. It's just means 2.5 mil players downloaded the update. Good or bad, all up to PD.

It is 2.5 million active users in the past month, based on downloads. Read into it more if you like, that is the figure given.

Whether all of those people play the game every day or not is irrelevant; 2.5 million unique usernames downloaded the update - who made them do that and why? Now why would Sony care about that?

Also in order to obtain the car you simply had to do one lap - no gold no nothing. The last time I checked there were around 250k entries on that.
The gamer can pay for the car without "gold"...if I am not wrong...

Last edited:
I call BS on 2,5 mln downloads - most likely there are around 2,5 mln (or 2,5 mln connected to the internet) sales and they assumed everyone WAS ABLE to download the car - the potential audience.

That would mean the remaining 2,250 mln downloaded the update but instead of doing a lap to get the car they bought it.

Yeah..nope.

Sorry to be a party pooper but the current audience of GT6 is at max 300k active users playing online/offline/doing seasonals only.

That's pretty much about right on the point. I still believe VGchartz is about close on the amount of sales. As I don't believe people would like to be stuck with GT6 if they got it on PSN. I've had instances where I had to rethink my stance on downloading games only onto PS3 HDD.

2.5 million vacuum clea...nah, just kidding, just kidding. Sort of. Impressive number for the Aston VGT nonetheless.

The GT name still holds cachet. Even with years between releases and the still as yet undelivered aspects announced for GT6 9 months after release. Really goes to show how loyal the base of the GT games are. Imagine what GT could be if PD & Sony really pushed the game and the features\modes to the next level on the PS4. I can't even imagine! :crazy:

It's funny they haven't updated the Polyphony Digital web page since March 2013, doesn't show any GT6 sales numbers and reports GT5 at 10,660,000. Somewhere between 2.5 million and 250,000 for GT6?

It is 2.5 million active users in the past month, based on downloads. Read into it more if you like, that is the figure given.

Whether all of those people play the game every day or not is irrelevant; 2.5 million unique usernames downloaded the update - who made them do that and why? Now why would Sony care about that?

I really doubt that. They made that video to generate more sales. Appearing grand in an old marketing trick. Even the smallest online shop run by 1 person will refer to him as "we".

This is the same principle - appear grand, say people that there's a huge active GT6 userbase, impress them.

As I said - to get the car you had to complete a lap and register on the leaderboard - only 250k people done that within how long ? 2 weeks ? Suddenly another 2mln popped out of the blue ?

Now why would you even bother updating the game to not even do one lap to get the car instead of paying 1mln credits for it ?

Seasonal events with car provided always had a lot more entries too.

Both the active userbase and amount of patch downloads is nowhere near 2,5 mln. Not the first time companies straight up lie to the consumers.

By all means if you believe that only 10% of people that updated the game has bothered to do one slow lap to get 1mln car - you can believe that.

I find that highly improbable.

I really doubt that. They made that video to generate more sales. Appearing grand in an old marketing trick. Even the smallest online shop run by 1 person will refer to him as "we".

This is the same principle - appear grand, say people that there's a huge active GT6 userbase, impress them.

As I said - to get the car you had to complete a lap and register on the leaderboard - only 250k people done that within how long ? 2 weeks ? Suddenly another 2mln popped out of the blue ?

Now why would you even bother updating the game to not even do one lap to get the car instead of paying 1mln credits for it ?

Seasonal events with car provided always had a lot more entries too.

Both the active userbase and amount of patch downloads is nowhere near 2,5 mln. Not the first time companies straight up lie to the consumers.

By all means if you believe that only 10% of people that updated the game has bothered to do one slow lap to get 1mln car - you can believe that.

I find that highly improbable.
You don't have to do the lap to get the car, you could just buy it. And, technically, anyone who downloaded the update downloaded the car. There's your marketing smudge.

I never said the "active userbase" was 2.5 million, and neither did Sony. Take the figure only for what it was presented as, like I said. The fact that the update has been downloaded by 2.5 million users is impressive, regardless of your personal feelings for the game.

Think about it logically, they can more accurately tell how many downloaded the update than how many bought or earned the car by some other means. Some players might not have been online when they bought the car, despite being online to download the update. ;)

GT6 is successful and it seems to annoy some critics.

It's funny !

Successful by what means I mean when your previous game is doing a good 5 times better than your current one, and top that off we're almost up to a year by now I'm certain had this been GT4 and even GT5 it would be at least somewhere approaching 5 mil because most GT games start off strong. Then they simmer down a little I only have one friend who even own GT6 he's not even a member of this site, and has been playing it since GT1 even he's annoyed by it right now he just started it.

Successful by what means I mean when your previous game is doing a good 5 times better than your current one, and top that off we're almost up to a year by now I'm certain had this been GT4 and even GT5 it would be at least somewhere approaching 5 mil because most GT games start off strong. Then they simmer down a little I only have one friend who even own GT6 he's not even a member of this site, and has been playing it since GT1 even he's annoyed by it right now he just started it.

Pretty much every video game will follow that sales pattern.

I think it's maybe unfair to compare GT6 sales to GT4 particularly, for a couple of reasons; GT4 was not released alongside the next generation consoles, and it was not up against as much competition as you have today (nor was the PS2 itself for that matter).

So those factors will always take away slices of the pie imo. Although I'm just speculating of course. But it's been deduced more than once that the active userbase seems strong, which I'd say is definitely a positive.

Back