GT6 Sales Discussion

It's relevant for those hoping that PD get a short, sharp wakeup call, and return to the revolutionary and exciting game design that got them so big in the first place.
Not really...it is the epitome of shrugging all that grumpy nonsense off and getting on with enjoying the game.

I really see no real differences in the game design throughout the series, except in that it has improved. Of course, you are not going to agree with that so it's fairly pointless going back into that old, old and ofttime had discussion.

Suffice it to say that I recognise you feel PD needs a slap, for various reasons repeated ad nauseum - whilst I feel that you will need to wait until GT7 for that.

Not really...it is the epitome of shrugging all that grumpy nonsense off and getting on with enjoying the game.

For those who do enjoy the game, great. Please go right ahead. Don't let this thread bring you down

Some people find certain elements of the game so frustrating as to spoil the rest of it. The proverbial turd in the punchbowl, if you will. Since they get little enjoyment from playing the game, they might as well voice themselves here. Or is that too logical?

I really see no real differences in the game design throughout the series, except in that it has improved. Of course, you are not going to agree with that so it's fairly pointless going back into that old, old and ofttime had discussion.

I would not disagree that GT has improved, so be careful when you try and tell me what my opinion is. Apart from the obvious improvements (graphics etc.), even the game design itself has shown some improvements. I'm just not of the opinion that GT6 shows 15 years of development over GT1.

(Although I will say that the GT5 "career" design in 1.01 almost certainly qualifies as a massive step backwards over anything in the series. GT6 is fine, it's a slightly different take on presenting the same material with some of the better features of GT5 retained.)

Suffice it to say that I recognise you feel PD needs a slap, for various reasons repeated ad nauseum - whilst I feel that you will need to wait until GT7 for that.

So you don't feel that GT7 is going to be very good, then? I doubt they'll be getting a slap if GT7 is an unbelievably amazing game, everyone will be too busy shouting from the rooftops what a great game it is.

Standard cars, less tracks and no online?

GT1 was great not because of any particular feature that was in it, but because those things were fresh and new. A game with a bunch of everyday cars, many of which I could see in the streets. Being able to perform a wide range of modifications on those, all the way up to making them into race cars. A good selection of really well designed tracks.

These things still exist in GT, but they are not fresh and new any more. That's the difference. I recognise that there's people just getting into GT now, and they're probably enthused because they're seeing it for the first time. That's great, but it's a shame that there can't be a game that caters both to those people and to those who have grown up with Gran Turismo and are ready for it to take the next step.

Online could have been it. Online largely lives or dies by the size of it's userbase, and GT has (or had) that. Unfortunately, it's one of the most feature poor and lackluster online implementations in a game I've seen. If the GT5P servers were still up, I would be playing them instead of GT6, simply because I just want to get in a room and play. While some people have made great things out of the online in GT5 and 6, I rather think that's despite the online system provided than because of it.

Last edited:
...Some people find certain elements of the game so frustrating as to spoil the rest of it. The proverbial turd in the punchbowl, if you will. Since they get little enjoyment from playing the game, they might as well voice themselves here. Or is that too logical?
Sorry, I didn't realise that it was a complaint thread...there again, people on this forum will turn every opportunity toward a complaint.

I would not disagree that GT has improved, so be careful when you try and tell me what my opinion is. Apart from the obvious improvements (graphics etc.), even the game design itself has shown some improvements. I'm just not of the opinion that GT6 shows 15 years of development over GT1.
I was reacting ahead of the inevitable, not actually trying to tell you what your opinion might be.

It's relevant for those hoping that PD get a short, sharp wakeup call, and return to the revolutionary and exciting game design that got them so big in the first place.
Do you think it would even work, assuming it were true?

I can think of some pretty slimy publicity to hang off that, too. "Oh yes, GT6 sold really badly, that's why our next game is going to be exactly what everyone wants". Everybody buys GT7, and then what?

I think I'd prefer transparency: "Our game isn't so great at this, we focused more one these things".

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't realise that it was a complaint thread...there again, people on this forum will turn every opportunity toward a complaint.

You asked what the point of discussing sales data was. I pointed out that people who were hoping for reform were interested in it.

You say that people should just play the game instead, I say that people who don't enjoy the game might enjoy posting here more instead. They don't have to complain, it's not a complaint thread.

What part of this are you not getting?

I was reacting ahead of the inevitable, not actually trying to tell you what your opinion might be.

Except that it wasn't inevitable, because you were wrong.

You thought it was inevitable, because you thought you knew what I think. You don't. Do not tell me what I think. If you want to know, ask.

...You thought it was inevitable, because you thought you knew what I think. You don't. Do not tell me what I think. If you want to know, ask.
I don't have to, you usually tell me.

As for the rest, my apologies as I have no recollection of even making the post - probably shouldn't have posted whilst on a cocktail of painkillers, strong antibotics and running a very high temperature.

Do you think it would even work, assuming it were true?

Probably not, but one lives in hope.

I can think of some pretty slimy publicity to hang off that, too. "Oh yes, GT6 sold really badly, that's why our next game is going to be exactly what everyone wants". Everybody buys GT7, and then what?

Hey, it worked pretty well for Codies. Grid 2 was more or less panned by the community for pretty much everything. Grid: Autosport isn't perfect, but they sure took a lot of what was wrong with Grid 2 and made it much better. G:AS is a solid little game, for all it's flaws.

I think I'd prefer transparency: "Our game isn't so great at this, we focused more one these things".

Yes, well, we'd all love transparency out of Polyphony. That would be a perfect world. I'd love them to sit down and say "We recognise that A, B, and C are major issues with the game. D, E, and F are how we would want the game to play if we could solve all our problems tomorrow, and G, H, and I are how we are looking at approaching the problem. We hope to have X, Y and Z in place for GT7, but we can't be sure so we'll keep you up to date as we get closer. For now, assume these features won't make it (because the universe is a bitch like that) but we'll be working our hardest to try and make sure they do. As far as things we have solved already, we've got J, K, and L, and I think you'll agree that these are a major step forward from the previous generation."

Getting a straight answer out of PD on relatively simple matters, like "What are your plans for post-release DLC?" appears to be more or less impossible. So I wouldn't expect much in the way of clarity on more esoteric topics like general game design. What they say one day changes the next, and so is about as useful as tits on a bull.

Probably not, but one lives in hope.

Hey, it worked pretty well for Codies. Grid 2 was more or less panned by the community for pretty much everything. Grid: Autosport isn't perfect, but they sure took a lot of what was wrong with Grid 2 and made it much better. G:AS is a solid little game, for all it's flaws.

Yes, well, we'd all love transparency out of Polyphony. That would be a perfect world. I'd love them to sit down and say "We recognise that A, B, and C are major issues with the game. D, E, and F are how we would want the game to play if we could solve all our problems tomorrow, and G, H, and I are how we are looking at approaching the problem. We hope to have X, Y and Z in place for GT7, but we can't be sure so we'll keep you up to date as we get closer. For now, assume these features won't make it (because the universe is a bitch like that) but we'll be working our hardest to try and make sure they do. As far as things we have solved already, we've got J, K, and L, and I think you'll agree that these are a major step forward from the previous generation."

Getting a straight answer out of PD on relatively simple matters, like "What are your plans for post-release DLC?" appears to be more or less impossible. So I wouldn't expect much in the way of clarity on more esoteric topics like general game design. What they say one day changes the next, and so is about as useful as tits on a bull.

What happens, though, when PD's chosen solutions to its perceived problems aren't the ones you or I specifically want? That's the kind of transparency I'm talking about, and I don't think publishers have the balls to do it.

And regarding the "we'll address all the issues" aspect, I meant more what happens when the issues aren't addressed in the way that "people actually wanted"? That's why I said slimy. It's very easy to give the impression of doing what the community wants (because that's what marketing is), very different to actually do it. I think there's a danger of Sony responding to the vocal outrage in a defensive way, is all.

This is just a little tangent on my belief that we as gamers should be more accepting of shortcomings, in a pragmatic sense (which is not to say we shouldn't desire or request improvements), so that it would encourage the kind of transparency that would make it easier for gamers to weed out the games they won't like and only waste time with the ones they do! :)

A spiteful jolt in sales is only likely to trigger defensiveness on Sony's part. Equally, we don't know how the games live up to the "vision" that the developer had (software development is hard, unless you paint by numbers), i.e. perhaps we should ask Kaz whether he was disappointed with what they managed to achieve on PS3 vs. what they wanted to achieve. Maybe once GT7 is out.

European sales numbers from January to June 2014

otpjJcX.jpg

GT5 was released before the PS3 was firmware hacked. There was some Dongles I believe but months after GT5 was on the market, the PS3 firmware 3.55 I believe was cracked and exploited. PS3 CFW as we know it began.

GT6 sales figures are greatly impacted by the number of CFW consoles playing pirated copies of GT6.

I own my copy and buy games I want to support, but this should be considered when comparing sales figures.

GT6 isn't doing very well in Europe, the focus is on PS4.
I don't think the PS4 is the only reason for the GT6 sales. GT5 was a disappointment for some and they've announced GT6 in the same year they released it. More marketing could've helped in my opinion. Last but not least, GT6 has a boring career mode and the same mistakes again like the games before. Add to that an rubber banding AI. Some friends of mine are just tired of the IP after GT5. I tried to convince them, but it doesn't worked and i can't blame them. Bad sounds, bad AI for example and Gran Turimso 6 still hasn't got promised features. The latest updates was good, thought.

I believe PD has to adress the issues as soon as possible, because the GT6 sales aren't great compared to previous games and the competition gets bigger with project cars. The most important changes for me would be realistic sound, better career mode and a better AI. I would advice PD to not announce features which won't be in the game for months, too.

Last edited:
The >500k from http://www.4gamer.net/games/222/G022294/20141203080/ are Asia incl. Japan and retail + downloads.
That way the VGchartz number of 360K in Japan seems realistic again, and thus the figure of total sales around 3 to 3.5 million worldwide also.

Anyway even though it is the worst sales figure for a GT game so far, i bet the excuse of the dying PS3 wil make sure PD will not see it as a sign that the series is going downhill and there will be more of the same for 7, but with improved eye candy.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/72181/gran-turismo-6/

2.91 mln with Japan at 360k when in reality it's more than 500k.

My guess - over 4mln including digital.
That sounds about right and also does match my GT6 estimates based in the previous official sales.

A simply Rule of Three will do the trick.

GT5 japan+asian sales in its first year were 900K and the totals 7430K worldwide.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120328140741/http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

GT6 sales = 500x7430/900 = 4127K

If becomes accurate GT6 have potential to reach a nice number at the end of its lifetime, in some years and after the launch of GT7.

That sounds about right and also does match my GT6 estimates based in the previous official sales.

A simply Rule of Three will do the trick.

GT5 japan+asian sales in its first year were 900K and the totals 7430K worldwide.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120328140741/http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

GT6 sales = 500x7430/900 = 4127K

If becomes accurate GT6 have potential to reach a nice number at the end of its lifetime, in some years and after the launch of GT7.
If you mean the lowest sales in 15 years of producing games in what should have been the ultimate showcase of 15 years of game design and will probably be outsold by a "Prologue" version of the game..then yeah..that's a nice number. I don't know of anyone in business who considers a 40+% drop in sales volume a success, especially when you only release a product once every 3 or 4 years on average. If I had a 40% drop in business I'd be looking for a new business:lol:

If you mean the lowest sales in 15 years of producing games in what should have been the ultimate showcase of 15 years of game design and will probably be outsold by a "Prologue" version of the game..then yeah..that's a nice number. I don't know of anyone in business who considers a 40+% drop in sales volume a success, especially when you only release a product once every 3 or 4 years on average. If I had a 40% drop in business I'd be looking for a new business:lol:
I think they satisfy themself with it and focus on PS4 a lot. They continue because it still brings a lot of money, and probably they like their jobs.

I think they satisfy themself with it and focus on PS4 a lot. They continue because it still brings a lot of money, and probably they like their jobs.
That's the thing, they have a very dedicated fanbase who swallow most BS you can throw at them + their rep of the past decade which they can also bank on, but each time they release another uninspiring title those guarantees are wearing thinner though.

PS4 is short of racing titles at the moment, so i bet PD knows the regular sales hype and backup of Sony will generate another easy couple of millions for GT7 when it is eventually released, even if they once again don't make an effort, but i think they underestimate the competition and the fact that games like PCARS and a next gen Grid will be released earlier and might steal another portion of their customers away.

Be as it is even if they release a total turd of a game 3-4 million sales are practically in the pocket already, and that's a bit sad if you look at how hard smaller developers have to work and innovate in order to get the budget together and make a profit.

That's the thing, they have a very dedicated fanbase who swallow most BS you can throw at them + their rep of the past decade which they can also bank on
I disagree. They could have continued the way of multiple DLC with that philosophy, but everything was free. Also, I enjoy GT6, I don't think it is a BS. It only depends on the consomer, as in every other areas. But you can find "sheeps" almost everywhere anyway.

I disagree. They could have continued the way of multiple DLC with that philosophy, but everything was free. Also, I enjoy GT6, I don't think it is a BS. It only depends on the consomer, as in every other areas. But you can find "sheeps" almost everywhere anyway.
Well with the BS i mean all the vague promises that either don't happen or people have to wait a year for after they bought the game thinking it would be there already, or coming soon after. I also think they are smart enough to know that if they would have released the VGT's they did so far as payed DLC, not much people would have bought it.

Maybe they could have charged for things like the Senna content or Zahara, but seeing how a great deal of people were pissed off with what they got on release it's a way of making up with their fanbase not doing so.

If you mean the lowest sales in 15 years of producing games
If I had a 40% drop in business I'd be looking for a new business:lol:
I mean financially. GT6 have just two years of development compared to the +5 years of GT5 in the same console.

With your superior understanding of business Nintendo now would be making toasters instead of consoles. ;)

I mean financially. GT6 have just two years of development compared to the +5 years of GT5 in the same console.
Let's be honest, in those 2 years they made 6 more of a 5.5 than a new game by itself no?

Let's be honest, in those 2 years they made 6 more of a 5.5 than a new game by itself no?
Depends if you want a fair comparisson or a biased one.

Fair
GT5 Spec II vs GT6 Spec II
GT5 at launch vs GT6 at launch

Unfair
GT5 Spec II vs GT6 at launch or without all the updates

Anyway GT6 have not had less changes than other games considered sequels mainly for its new graphics. In fact GT6 it have more changes than had GT2 from GT1.

Latest Posts

Back