GT6 to be available on PSN for digital download

Are they serious? I actually thought the Anniversary Edition was supposed to be something more exclusive...

Last edited:
Even thought the article doesn't make it super clear, I think the size of the game remains the same (or close to same) as GT5. If you get it on a disc, it'll install 15 GB of data over time on your HDD. If you get the digital download, it'll then be the 15 GB of the download itself, plus the 15 or so install data, equaling 30 GBs.

On a related note, anyone here has upgraded their PS3 to an SSD? What was your experience like and which drive did you use? I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 7200 RPM/6GB/s SATA III HDD (1 TB sells for $90 on Amazon) or spend $100 on a 120GB SSD?! That 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD is a great value and would give me all the space I'd ever need but an SSD will always be a bit faster.

Ana I also assume that the game has no region protection but the dlc does? :confused:

What do you mean by region protection for DLC? :eek: Game needs to be from the same country as the account/PSN-store connection?

DLC is tied to the game region when it was bought. I have many Asian region games ( digital download ), all I have to do is to make sure to buy DLC from store I bought it from ( HK Store in this case ). The good thing is, HK PSN DLC are always cheaper than US or EU PSN DLC prices, if you have means to buy/pay via credit cards, then it should be no brainer.

HK PSN do not check you connection origin, as long as you buy the content of the same region, it should work.

What do you mean by region protection for DLC? :eek: Game needs to be from the same country as the account/PSN-store connection?

If your BD game copy has a voucher code, it can only be redeemed from the correct PSN store the code works for. For example if I bought my copy from USA, I need to use a US account to activate my gifts. If I bought the game from the UK, I need to use any European account eligible to redeem the cars.

However DLC from the store itself is not region locked, you can buy DLC and install it to your game regardless of where the game was bought from, but the contents may but rarely differ from any PSN store.

DLC is tied to the game region when it was bought. I have many Asian region games ( digital download ), all I have to do is to make sure to buy DLC from store I bought it from ( HK Store in this case ). The good thing is, HK PSN DLC are always cheaper than US or EU PSN DLC prices, if you have means to buy/pay via credit cards, then it should be no brainer.

HK PSN do not check you connection origin, as long as you buy the content of the same region, it should work.
Ahh, alright many thanks for that quick response! :) Should work fine for me with a UK-account and a game bought in Germany... Just like for GT5.

If your BD game copy has a voucher code, it can only be redeemed from the correct PSN store the code works for. For example if I bought my copy from USA, I need to use a US account to activate my gifts. If I bought the game from the UK, I need to use any European account eligible to redeem the cars.

However DLC from the store itself is not region locked, you can buy DLC and install it to your game regardless of where the game was bought from, but the contents may but rarely differ from any PSN store.

Thank you, too! Relieving to hear that.

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 9.58.47 PM.png

So basically the "special" in the Special Edition is that you get these 5 cars from the Precision Pack? Isn't that already the bonus for preordering the game? Might be mistaken though.

:cheers: Thanks for your help :)

Here's a question, but first forgive my ignorance of PSN game download procedures. Or flame me for it, whatever.

I have the triple monitor setup, I have a physical copy on pre-order from Gamestop and plan to download the PSN version and install a copy on both of the client monitors. But, the PSN version seems to be available a day earlier so I'm wondering: can I download it from PSN a day early (so I can start playing early) and then use my Gamestop DLC voucher (arriving the next day) on that PSN copy? Basically if I download the PSN copy to my main monitor would my DLC voucher from my physical copy still work on the PSN game or does it have to be applied to the physical copy from which it came?

For those of us who have a capped internet connection and in a country where internet prices are exorbitant, the physical copy will definately be a better option.

So basically the "special" in the Special Edition is that you get these 5 cars from the Precision Pack? Isn't that already the bonus for preordering the game? Might be mistaken though.
Yeah, and don't you get all of these fancily named car packs if you preorder from Gamestop?

I say to Hell with Blu-ray and digital downloads. I want dusty game catridges again! Make it happen PD.
Sony was able to put Vita games on little cards, so I can easily imagine that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

For those who want all the "Special Anniversary Edition Cars," the GameStop Preorder is the only way to go. It includes all 25 cars and comes in (in my case in the US) at $65 total with tax and store pick up.

Concerning the game performance and load times of the digital download vs BluRay disc, there seem to be two different camps:

• One camp says the game will be faster as a digital download due to the fact the PS3 wont need to pull content off a disc.

• The other camp says the BluRay version will be faster because the PS3 will be simultaneously processing information from the hard disk AND the BluRay at the same time. (Two horses pulling the carriage, so to speak)

What is the general consensus in these forums?

This is an easy test to do on your home computer:

1) take a nice big folder and duplicate it on the same HDD and time how long it takes (big, preferably made up of a mix of smaller and larger files, say 4gb or more of data)
2) burn same folder to a data DVD or BluRay
3) copy from data DVD back to your HDD and time how long that takes
4) compare times

(Hint, the HDD to HDD copy will be MUCH faster, optical disks are very very very very slow...)

This is an easy test to do on your home computer:

1) take a nice big folder and duplicate it on the same HDD and time how long it takes (big, preferably made up of a mix of smaller and larger files, say 4gb or more of data)
2) burn same folder to a data DVD or BluRay
3) copy from data DVD back to your HDD and time how long that takes
4) compare times

(Hint, the HDD to HDD copy will be MUCH faster, optical disks are very very very very slow...)

I understand HDD is much faster than optical. But if I understand correctly, people arguing for BluRay over digital download aren't denying the speed of a HDD. They are just saying BluRay + preinstalled data on the HDD is faster than HDD by itself.

That's the claim anyway, just wondering if there's any truth to it.

Concerning the game performance and load times of the digital download vs BluRay disc, there seem to be two different camps:

• One camp says the game will be faster as a digital download due to the fact the PS3 wont need to pull content off a disc.

• The other camp says the BluRay version will be faster because the PS3 will be simultaneously processing information from the hard disk AND the BluRay at the same time. (Two horses pulling the carriage, so to speak)

What is the general consensus in these forums?

The latter is lies, the PS3 can't process both at once. The Blu Ray drive and HDD are on the same bus but the processor can only 'talk' to one device on that bus at a time, therefore it would be slower.

I just preordered the expensive version. GAME have the same version (except with an additional 1 million credit bonus) for the same price, but I'd have to pay shipping AND have the ultimate hassle of having to get up to change the disc whenever someone uses my PS3 to watch a Blu Ray or DVD. I like digital distribution.

The latter is lies, the PS3 can't process both at once. The Blu Ray drive and HDD are on the same bus but the processor can only 'talk' to one device on that bus at a time, therefore it would be slower.

I just preordered the expensive version. GAME have the same version (except with an additional 1 million credit bonus) for the same price, but I'd have to pay shipping AND have the ultimate hassle of having to get up to change the disc whenever someone uses my PS3 to watch a Blu Ray or DVD. I like digital distribution.
Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but does this mean that people who purchase the digital copy can download it right at midnight? Meaning they could potentially start playing it sooner than people who have to pick it up physically at a store.

I believe the news story maybe incorrect. I think GT6 will be 15GB, a 15GB file requires 30GB of free space on a PS3.
PS3 downloads the file then separately installs requiring the same amount of space again. After installation the PS3 automatically deletes the download file.
If GT6 digital really is 30GB total, then it would require 60GB free on the PS3 in order to begin the download process.

Also having blu-ray and HDD streaming combined gives more bandwidth than just the HDD. Streaming of graphics can effect textures and pop ups. This is how GTA5 is optimised.
I presume even if the processing has to be done separately, with combined streaming the data is already in memory ready to be processed, compared to having to read from the HDD again in order to load up the data.

Even thought the article doesn't make it super clear, I think the size of the game remains the same (or close to same) as GT5. If you get it on a disc, it'll install 15 GB of data over time on your HDD. If you get the digital download, it'll then be the 15 GB of the download itself, plus the 15 or so install data, equaling 30 GBs.

On a related note, anyone here has upgraded their PS3 to an SSD? What was your experience like and which drive did you use? I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 7200 RPM/6GB/s SATA III HDD (1 TB sells for $90 on Amazon) or spend $100 on a 120GB SSD?! That 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD is a great value and would give me all the space I'd ever need but an SSD will always be a bit faster.

You can erase the installer after it installs though, so it will only take 15 gigs of your hdd.

For those who want all the "Special Anniversary Edition Cars," the GameStop Preorder is the only way to go. It includes all 25 cars and comes in (in my case in the US) at $65 total with tax and store pick up.

The european PS store (in Dutch) says it is actually the online (downloadable) version of the 15th anniversary edition.

You get 5 cars when you preorder and the download includes the other 20 cars (and paint and helmet and suit).

The 1M game credits aren't mentioned though….

Wait what? You might want to check your facts. A PS3 has a 2X BluRay drive and installs data on the HDD at a rate of 9 MByte/s, which is the data rate of a BluRay disc @ 2X, it then can access both drive at full speed at once. No matter the architecture they got going in there, their "southbridge" can communicate to ethernet, wifi, usb and bluetooth all simultaneously, it has plenty of bits remaining for 2 more devices, and those two devices have a combined data rate slower than that of a Pentium 1's chipset, so it can easily read from both at the same time. What's next? You're gonna tell us that the PS3 doesn't have a full duplex bus between its CPU, GPU and RAM.

I believe the news story maybe incorrect. I think GT6 will be 15GB, a 15GB file requires 30GB of free space on a PS3.
PS3 downloads the file then separately installs requiring the same amount of space again. After installation the PS3 automatically deletes the download file.
If GT6 digital really is 30GB total, then it would require 60GB free on the PS3 in order to begin the download process.

Also having blu-ray and HDD streaming combined gives more bandwidth than just the HDD. Streaming of graphics can effect textures and pop ups. This is how GTA5 is optimised.
I presume even if the processing has to be done separately, with combined streaming the data is already in memory ready to be processed, compared to having to read from the HDD again in order to load up the data.

The download takes 15 gigs, I don't know why you seem to think it would take up 30. You'll need 45 to be able to install the digital version, not 60.

If GT6 loads data in game I only see Ronda using it significantly, for all other tracks, whether it loads from one device or both, the loading might vary, but once you are on the track there shouldn't be any pop-ins due to a slow loading. In GT5 you can skip the installation and opt-out of car installations in the settings, but by default GT5 only loads from the HDD once everything is installed, I see no reason why GT6 would be any different.

Last edited:
Well, on the indian PSN store both Standard and Anniversary Editions are 20-25% cheaper than their retail counterparts.
Wont i be able to pre-load before release?

Last edited:
I prefer physical copies of my games, though, half of the content (space on HDD) from GT5 is downloaded via patches.
However, I wonder why people mainly discuss loading times here.
Bigger point, at least for me is, that PD decided to sell ingame credits via PSN store.
That decision has an undistinctive taste for me. If you have the money, no need to do ingame events to get your cars and fill up your virtual credits anymore.
Let's hope there are special events inside, where you have to play a lot to reach a price, a car or something. And let's hope further it's not like mentioned before, that once in a while you are forced to buy ingame credits.
Okay, on a sidenote this could mean there's no 20 Million lock anymore. I'm sure some "I want it all from day 1 kiddies" will spend 100$ for let's say 50 Million credits. :lol:

Back