GT6 to be available on PSN for digital download

The download takes 15 gigs, I don't know why you seem to think it would take up 30. You'll need 45 to be able to install the digital version, not 60.
The download is 14.3GB. I never said it was 30GB. The digital version will require 30GB of free space in order to download.

If GT6 loads data in game I only see Ronda using it significantly, for all other tracks, whether it loads from one device or both, the loading might vary, but once you are on the track there shouldn't be any pop-ins due to a slow loading. In GT5 you can skip the installation and opt-out of car installations in the settings, but by default GT5 only loads from the HDD once everything is installed, I see no reason why GT6 would be any different.

This is very interesting. I hope you don't mind me asking but I take it you are of the opinion that all things equal, GT6 should load faster from disc (+HDD install) then the digital version?

I'm going to guess that even if GT6 is written to read from the Blu ray and HDD at the same time, running the game from an SSD will be the fastest of all. Its all about seek time, and an SSD has none. While bluray at peak bandwidth speed is much slower than the SATA I limit of an HDD, in actual use they are both normally limited by their seek time, not peak bandwidth speed.

I can be wrong, but isn't the speed of a SSD depending of the host system's OS!? May a not proper OS even damage your SSD respectively shorten its lifespan?
I don't know much about Sonys OS on PS3, but what I know is, that it's not originally designed for SSDs. Maybe they did a firmware upgrade in the past, which adressed usage of SSDs.

I'll just wait for my physical copy to arrive from Amazon. I can imagine what the download times will be like on launch day with Sony's typical servers lol. Ever since I tried to download a free PS+ game and it told me it would take 17 hours I've pretty much given up on the PSN for games.

English translation:
"When you purchase, HDD free space on the PS3 body requires more than 30GB download version."
Which means at the point of purchase you need 30GB. You get half that back again after installation is complete.

I will just say one thing,we are talking about Sony's game on Sony's machine so no matter how you buy it digital or disc it will run all the same and it will run good...now I'm saying this because I have The Last Of Us digital version and it runs perfectly without any texture problems or whatever and its also Sony's game so...
I think there won't be any problems with digital version! 👍

This is very interesting. I hope you don't mind me asking but I take it you are of the opinion that all things equal, GT6 should load faster from disc (+HDD install) then the digital version?

Yes it would be faster.

That said, I don't know if you played the GT Academy demo, but man GT6 loads hella fast compared to GT5, compared to any game, even on PC. You see the flag animation being waved twice and you're ready to go, my memory of it is about 5 seconds to load a race. We'll see, but from the GT Academy demo that game doesn't need to load from both medium at all. Will it need ingame loading for Ronda, that's another question.

Last edited:
I can be wrong, but isn't the speed of a SSD depending of the host system's OS!? May a not proper OS even damage your SSD respectively shorten its lifespan?
I don't know much about Sonys OS on PS3, but what I know is, that it's not originally designed for SSDs. Maybe they did a firmware upgrade in the past, which adressed usage of SSDs.
I'd worry about SSDs too. Without TRIM, wouldn't an SSD's speed degrade over time thus lowering its advantage? I'm sure there are experts here but that's been my impression of them. Also, I've been reading more and more about failure rates of SSDs. It would be wise to save to a flash drive after every round. (That's an SSD too, however.)

I'd worry about SSDs too. Without TRIM, wouldn't an SSD's speed degrade over time thus lowering its advantage?
The lack of TRIM only affects write speed and long-term wear. Read speed will be unaffected.
You won't likely perform a relevant number of writes on your PS3 while playing games, unless you're installing/uninstalling them all the time, so wear shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure there are experts here but that's been my impression of them. Also, I've been reading more and more about failure rates of SSDs. It would be wise to save to a flash drive after every round. (That's an SSD too, however.)
SSDs in general can be more prone to failure than hard disks when power is removed unexpectedly, but on the other hand they have a definite advantage in terms of mechanical wear (there is none) and shock resistance.

Avoid OCZ SSDs, because they're known to be problematic, although they have slightly improved over the years. Most people with them incurred in problems at some point. They used to be popular because of their low price, and contributed to the "SSD are unreliable" myth.

Samsung, Intel, Crucial SSDs are on the other hand have proven to be rather reliable and should be your first choice.

is this preorderable? or we have to wait till on the day. (dont see it in PSStore yet) im in australia and want to buy digitally so i dont have to wait or try and find a store near me.

is this preorderable? or we have to wait till on the day. (dont see it in PSStore yet) im in australia and want to buy digitally so i dont have to wait or try and find a store near me.
Same here. It's not in the Canadian store either, no mention of it at all. Maybe in Asia/EU only for now.

Same here. It's not in the Canadian store either, no mention of it at all. Maybe in Asia/EU only for now.

might create an asian account and have a look.

nvm its in AU store now in coming soon (scroll thru to decemeber) check that on yours :)

A nice side effect of this PSN availability is that the price of GT6 on one of the biggest online retailers in Sweden (cdon.com) just dropped by 20%, from 599 SEK to 479 SEK. 👍

Last time I checked the PS store, the price there was 499 SEK.

I can get it at PSN Spain with no problems...it is also in the main page once you start PSN Store. Pre purchase and 2 versions available...Special Edition for 69,99€ and with all 15th Anniversary cars (20) included the Precision package (5 more cars). So 25 cars, gears, colours, avatars, helmet, the game. Cheaper than at retail stores like GAME in where the game costs 74,99€.

On a related note, anyone here has upgraded their PS3 to an SSD? What was your experience like and which drive did you use? I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 7200 RPM/6GB/s SATA III HDD (1 TB sells for $90 on Amazon) or spend $100 on a 120GB SSD?! That 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD is a great value and would give me all the space I'd ever need but an SSD will always be a bit faster.

I will be installing my SSD tonight and should have everything back up and running by the weekend. I don't really need the space from the HDD (since gran turismo is the only game I play), so I opted for the new samsung ssd. I will let you know how it performs. Although, it's hard to say how it will perform with GT6. The demo was running laps around GT5 on my stock HDD. So maybe the ssd upgrade is not necessary for performance.

I'm planning on getting to BD version, figuring that the BD and SSD will read simultaneously as needed. Maybe they will allow a full install from the disk.

A nice side effect of this PSN availability is that the price of GT6 on one of the biggest online retailers in Sweden (cdon.com) just dropped by 20%, from 599 SEK to 479 SEK. 👍

Last time I checked the PS store, the price there was 499 SEK.

That is great news! I hope elgiganten, webhallen and the likes follows up and really push down the price. Although 479 sek is pretty good as is.

Edit: 449:- on dustin! Expensive shipping though. :S

Last edited:

It is available in Australia, I pre-ordered on ps store yesterday. All the content on disc version is mentioned on ps store

Ps store pre-order bonus

5 cars from the Precision pack

Also get 20 cars with special liveries, custom paint chips, race suit, helmit and PSN Avatars

------------------------------

On my download list after pre-ordering GT6, there are 12 separate GT6 files to download

Last edited:
might create an asian account and have a look.

nvm its in AU store now in coming soon (scroll thru to decemeber) check that on yours :)
Still not in the Canadian store, at least I can't find it. There's no months mentioned in the pre-release area. Maybe I'm missing something! All in all, the interface is fairly obscure. Where was the 'December' thing? Thanks.

On a related note, anyone here has upgraded their PS3 to an SSD? What was your experience like and which drive did you use? I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 7200 RPM/6GB/s SATA III HDD (1 TB sells for $90 on Amazon) or spend $100 on a 120GB SSD?! That 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD is a great value and would give me all the space I'd ever need but an SSD will always be a bit faster.

Ok, I finished installing the SSD, fully reinstalled the game [gt5], and it seems significantly faster. 10-15 sec to load several different courses. No hesitation when pulling up my car list. It completely eliminated the graphics choppiness when driving at high speeds. Which is what I expected from the SSD.

Will this help with GT6? No clue. Hopefully. :)

If interested: Samsung EVO 120Gb SSD is the one that I purchased.

Last edited:
Still not in the Canadian store, at least I can't find it. There's no months mentioned in the pre-release area. Maybe I'm missing something! All in all, the interface is fairly obscure. Where was the 'December' thing? Thanks.

maybe our stores are different. i go into psstore, then games menu and in there is a "coming soon" menu and it goes by months.

Ok, I finished installing the SSD, fully reinstalled the game [gt5], and it seems significantly faster. 10-15 sec to load several different courses. No hesitation when pulling up my car list. It completely eliminated the graphics choppiness when driving at high speeds. Which is what I expected from the SSD.

Will this help with GT6? No clue. Hopefully. :)

If interested: Samsung EVO 120Gb SSD is the one that I purchased.

sweet im looking at doing this also, i only have a few games so a 120GB SSD should be fine on ps3 to run only a few.

Just ordered from the UK PSN and it says on my downloads list that it will be available for download on the 5th, not 6th. I hope with the UK store updating on Thursday afternoon's GT6 should be available then and not on Friday like in the regular game stores. As it seems at the moment the UK PSN is looking like I could be playing a day early.:cheers:
(depending on download speeds that is:scared:)

Same here. I just ordered it today in PSN (Spain). I'm going the SSD way, will pickup tomorrow a new 64Gb SSD Sandisk ( i only play GT ) for 50€. I know PS3 is SATA150, and only uses 150Mb/s bandwitdh, but a good 7200rpm it's far from that perfomance, and the most important, the seek time.

Another important thing for me is the heat. I have two dead PS3, so i prefer to keep it as cooler as possible. SSD runs a lot cooler ( and quieter ... ) than an HDD, and with the digital download you get no heat from the blue-ray unit.

Hmm I guess this might have been noted but the digital preorder on the US PSN-store is now available. It mentions "5-Car Pack + PS3 Theme". 59.99$. So I guess it's like buying the Anniversary edition, but digitally? But the web page on the web store makes no mention of it including those car packs, even when you follow the link they provide.

Source: US PS-blog.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/26/gran-turismo-6-last-chance-to-score-pre-order-bonuses/

Edit: Ooops, I missunderstood 5-car pack. I think it's just A pack of 5 cars, not all the five packs with 5 cars in them. Hmm.

Last edited:
Edit: Ooops, I missunderstood 5-car pack. I think it's just A pack of 5 cars, not all the five packs with 5 cars in them. Hmm.

This, I'm guessing it's the standard edition, with the 5 car pre-order incentive or Precision Pack as it's also known.

And why not the Anniversary Edition you ask? Well because Sony know they're being undercut dramatically by Gamestop, so they're not going to attempt to sell the Anniversary Edition at $20 more.

This, I'm guessing it's the standard edition, with the 5 car pre-order incentive or Precision Pack as it's also known.

And why not the Anniversary Edition you ask? Well because Sony know they're being undercut dramatically by Gamestop, so they're not going to attempt to sell the Anniversary Edition at $20 more.

It's really disappointing that they don't offer a digital Anniversary Edition. And the Anniversary Edtion should only be 10$ more, but even at 70$, it would be cheaper then the digital standard since the PSN-store in my country loves that 60$=60€ conversion rate. :ouch:

Bah! Humbug!

Back