GTA: San Andreas Record Book - PC

• Thread starter Orion_SR
  • 145 comments
As for a set of rules...

Didn't we used to have some for the old old topic!! I can't remember them really - I suppose the rules would be

1. No cheats/trainers of any kind may be used, including mods (though 4x draw distance is allowed as it makes no difference to actual scores).

2. All screenshots must be posted as you have now suggested, time in bold and name after the time.

3. Users are allowed to challenge any record, though only the top 3 scores will be posted for each event. In the case of a tied time, all scores will be posted in alphabetical order of username.

4. No whinging?!

5. Have fun!

I really don't know - I can't think there should be many other than the obvious. Perhaps we should state no spamming of one race. If you have the fastest time and you are say 3 seconds ahead of the next best, you can't post one only 2 seconds better.

Basically, one time per event per user.

Er...I'm stuck now.

San Fierro Hills can be a fun race, if it wasn't for the outrageous traffic down missionary hill and exiting the tunnel. I knew there was more time on that one, but called it quits when I was hit by low flying airplanes on two succesive runs :odd:

Btw. nice video on Dam Rider, I'm still baffled how you can be that fast driving like that :eek:

Speaking of which, my best so far on Dam Rider (I guess being only 1 sec slower than you isn't so bad afterall)

1:47 GTA_Phreak

Looks like were all running around with chainguns. I wonder why? I want screenshots of the low flying planes for the Gallery.

If you can't do formatting, then check your Message Editor Interface under my gtplanet, Edit Options. I have mine set for WYSIWYG.

Oh, yeah. The video. I'll add it to the Video Links. Dam Rider huh? Appropriate name. I haven't practiced that race this time around. So, is that the race you want to use to compare with PS2? I was hoping for a little less traffic to reduce random variables. I was frustrated defending my bike records last time around so I've been content to leave that to Phreak. You aren't going to steal my NRG time too are you?

When recording, I find it helps a lot to do a fresh reboot. I start the game with reduced colors. Also, I reduce the 4x Draw Distance to a notch or two below half. I lower my resolution to reduce the overall size of the half-size recording, but I usually run at 1280x1024. I turn on the Frame Limiter and set Fraps to record at 25 FPS. If the game runs well during recording, I can usually maintain 25 FPS.

Right cheers for the tips - I'll tell you what will be a fairer test ...with your tips on recording, I managed to get a cleaner run of Dirtbike Danger with a constant 25FPS. The race is completely down to the person - no traffic, no nothing, just skill. I've done it in 1:32, though as you'll see I made a mistake on one corner, which would account for the difference to get the 1:31. Regardless of this, it's still 4 seconds faster than the best PS2 time. 1-0 to the keyboard? Or have we still got some unfair advantage? It's not like I lean forward a massive amount in this race anyway, because if you do, you fall in many places :) http://rapidshare.de/files/10441293/Dirtbike_Danger.wmv.html I'm positive there is NO difference between the versions, other than the choice of control. I mean - most people would agree that the keyboard is less suitable I suppose...

Also, sorry GTA_Phreak, but I appear to have smashed your Into the Country record. I did make a mistake, so I see where the PS2 people made their 2:48. 2:51 Morgoth22

Stress relief ?

I use it for that certainly - and to blow up my car/bike when I mess up to stop having to wait 25 seconds. Trust me, I end up doing that a LOT ;)

Nice time on Vinewood, I'm not sure I have the patience to try that...yet :)

Records have been updated with a great screenshot on Vinewood. I signed up for an extra class this quarter so my playing time is going to be quite limited. However, I hope to take some runs at Dirtbike Danger and work up some good times on both systems. Hopefully I'll be able to get a grip on the workload soon and find some time to have a little fun.

This is probably my last post for a while too. Bodged the final turn, so there's another 1 or 2 seconds in that.

Badlands A

2:38 Morgoth22

Decided to have a go at the airraces :P

World War Ace (Equalled)

1:48 GTA_Phreak

Barnstorming

4:33 GTA_Phreak

Military Service

3:47 GTA_Phreak

Bad weather at the end of that one, so not much of a shot.
These races appears to be somewhat dependant on framerates, - so the last 2 is with lower gfx settings (~60 fps)

Oops! I think I just reported Morgoth's LV Ringoad image as offensive. The changes to the message system has made it much more difficult (impossible?) to cut and paste the images. I need to follow the link to imageshack and generate another set of links to update the records.

I have a few dozen chapters, quizzes, and labs to complete before the next update.

Nice job guys!!

Maybe i should pick up GTA SA on PC for a cheap price and see for myself if i can get faster times than with PS2.

Your times are extremely good 👍

After the experience with the Airraces, I decided to check out the framerate influence on vehicle speeds.

I started out driving and flying various vehicles along the SF runway and using the Fraps benchmarking function for timing and checking fps.
What I found was that the framerate has very little (if any) influence on vehicle speeds and acceleration!

Then it dawned on me that it might as well be the racetimer that is affected by framerates.

To test it I used the Military Service race, - by taking off and heading right out over the sea (this way getting high framerates without changing anything), the moment the racetimer reaches 0:20 I start the benchmark and fly on and stop it when racetimer reaches 2:00 (100 s.). I tried this with various framerates and got the following (if the racetimer is accurate, then the Time should be close to 100000 ms.)

Framelimiter @ 25 fps
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
2500, 100411, 24, 26, 24.898

Fraps recording @ 30 fps
3025, 100821, 28, 32, 30.004

Fraps recording @ 40 fps
4056, 101396, 38, 42, 40.002

Fraps recording @ 50 fps (not quite making it)
4844, 101499, 44, 51, 47.725

No limiting
9205, 103174, 77, 102, 89.218

The result is quite clear: The racetimer gets slower when framerates go up !!!
At 90 fps it's off by more than 2.5 seconds pr. 100 seconds racetime !! (a fact clearly visible just comparing to my wristwatch)

Needless to say that this makes recordkeeping pointless, unless we race at the same framerates.

GTA_Phreak
After the experience with the Airraces, I decided to check out the framerate influence on vehicle speeds.

I started out driving and flying various vehicles along the SF runway and using the Fraps benchmarking function for timing and checking fps.
What I found was that the framerate has very little (if any) influence on vehicle speeds and acceleration!

Then it dawned on me that it might as well be the racetimer that is affected by framerates.

To test it I used the Military Service race, - by taking off and heading right out over the sea (this way getting high framerates without changing anything), the moment the racetimer reaches 0:20 I start the benchmark and fly on and stop it when racetimer reaches 2:00 (100 s.). I tried this with various framerates and got the following (if the racetimer is accurate, then the Time should be close to 100000 ms.)

Framelimiter @ 25 fps
2500, 100411, 24, 26, 24.898

Fraps recording @ 30 fps
3025, 100821, 28, 32, 30.004

Fraps recording @ 40 fps
4056, 101396, 38, 42, 40.002

Fraps recording @ 50 fps (not quite making it)
4844, 101499, 44, 51, 47.725

No limiting
9205, 103174, 77, 102, 89.218

The result is quite clear: The racetimer gets slower when framerates go up !!!
At 90 fps it's off by more than 2.5 seconds pr. 100 seconds racetime !! (a fact clearly visible just comparing to my wristwatch)

Needless to say that this makes recordkeeping pointless, unless we race at the same framerates.

Yes this is the case. However, for the majority of races, I don't really feel as though it affects us - we all have the game (usually) running between 30-50FPS. Perhaps when it comes down to the races where there are all of us on a very close time, that comes into it, but otherwise I think we can accredit skill where applicable. If I feel up to it, I might post a video of each race. If any of us takes a radically different line, maybe we can test out what time you get by taking the same line as someone else.

I'm not too sure if that makes sense...anyway, I bettered my time on Into The Country to bring it below the PS2 boys:

INTO THE COUNTRY

2:47 Morgoth22

Recent times have been updated. Either the new editor is working better, or I've learned to use it better - copy and paste is working for images and imbedded links.

Ooops sorry Orion, I meant to withdraw my claims on Military Service and Barnstorming :dunce: Please replace with the following on the next update, - all done with framelimiter on.

Barnstorming

4:35 GTA_Phreak

Barnstorming 4:35 (34.9 MB wmv)

Seems like 4:34 might be possible even on framelimiter, but sofar the last 0.5s has proved elusive.

Military Service

3:50 GTA_Phreak

Military Service 3:50 (29.9 MB wmv)

Not much to say, - that one is significantly slower on framelimiter.

Before I post a video on N.O.E I'd better correct some minor mistakes:

N.O.E

3:08 GTA_Phreak

N.O.E 3:09 (23.8 MB wmv)

Orion challenged me to make a video of my Whirly Bird 2:02 record, - as it turns out I could do even better :sly:

Whirly Bird Waypoint

2:00 GTA_Phreak

And the video: Whirly Bird in 2 flat (17MB)

Orion you have my permission to put my videos on Google if you wish.

Google Videos by GTA_Phreak

01. 02. 03.

04. 05. 06.

07.[SIZE=-1] 08.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][SIZE=-1] 09.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

10.[SIZE=-1][/SIZE] 11.[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]12.[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

01. N.O.E. Mercy 9 min 51 sec
02. Military Service 3:50 4 min 3 sec
03. Whirly Bird 2 flat 2 min 15 sec
04. Circle Airstrip and Land 1 min 34 sec
05. Barnstorming 4 min 50 sec
06. Burn and Lap 45 sec
07. Freefall 3 min
08. Heli Hell in 2:26 2 min 48 sec
09. Vertical Bird
4 min 43 sec
10. Tailslide Demo
2 min 11 sec
11. San Fierro Hills 4 min 24 sec
Backroad Wanderer 1 min 53 sec

This one has got to be the most difficult race in the game.

Heli Hell

2:26 GTA_Phreak

Not a perfect run, but still pretty fast. Hopefully that will keep Orion busy for a while ;)

Edit:

And here's the video that goes with that: Heli Hell

Btw. I found another site with GTA:SA records here: http://www.cyberscore.net

Back