GTA V - General Thread

• Thread starter Hollidog
  • 9,032 comments
Judging by the size of the game and the limitations of the PS3, I would think they had to skimp on the graphics somewhere. The palm trees are flat anyway.

Judging by the size of the game and the limitations of the PS3, I would think they had to skimp on the graphics somewhere. The palm trees are flat anyway.

Understandable. I love the color of the water lol

graphics look like crap, not sure if official ... even gt5 has better trees :D

These were officially released by Rockstar this morning.

I couldn't care less about slightly unsightly trees... I can't wait to roam the world of GTA again. GTA IV was good, but it's just been played to death and I absolutely want a new GTA experience. Can't wait 👍

Nice to finally have a couple of new screenshots. I just realised, we haven't had any new information since the trailer was released last october. :lol: :boggled:

Limitations of the PS3? Why do people keep saying this? Look, people, the PS3 has twice the processing power, twice the three times the cores, and twice the graphics cards the Xbox 360 does. Look at GT5 vs. Forza 4. Turn10 had to create ways to cheat to get the graphics to look that good, and with GT5, despite the jagged shadows (which, Kaz said could have been fixed, but it would've made the game take a lot longer to come out), it has superior lighting, weather, graphics on the Premiums and really better sound quality (not the PS3's fault PD didn't want to record 1000+ engine sounds).

The PS3 is really better than the X-box in most every way. It hasn't really reached it's full potential yet, but it's getting there, and remember, Microsoft has what 3 first party developers to Sony's like 20?

Heck, Rockstar, makers of the GTA series, have already complained about the Xbox's lack of space on their disc and their lack of power.

Even Bungie and 343 have mentioned that developing for the Xbox is challenging because of their stupid 4GB systems. Which, btw, if you have one of those 4GB HDDs, you can't really get much DLC and you definitely can't download many games, so....And what about games like GTA which have a install of larger than 4GB, you guys are just screwed. At least Sony was smart enough to make HDD options that were large enough NOT to make the developers choose whether to screw over some players or not.

And, from what I've seen, the PS3 tends to handle lighting WAY better than the Xbox does. Like with GTAIV, on the PS3 version, the ambient lighting is more vibrant and realistic. I mean, the signs police lights glow and light up the streets and walls around them much more than in the Xbox version.

EDIT: Also....IT'S GRAND 🤬 AUTO! Do you REALLY give a crap about the trees in a GTA game? Really? Really? If you do, then you should get out more.

Last edited:
Limitations of the PS3? Why do people keep saying this? Look, people, the PS3 has twice the processing power, twice the three times the cores, and twice the graphics cards the Xbox 360 does.

Why do people keep spouting nonsense like this? 👎

Limitations of the PS3? Why do people keep saying this? Look, people, the PS3 has twice the processing power, twice the three times the cores, and twice the graphics cards the Xbox 360 does.
Let's ignore the comparison for a second & get this little fact out of the way. It's a gigantic open world game with all sorts of features & details. It doesn't matter if it's the Xbox or a high end PC, there are still limitations when creating this kind of environment.

Look at GT5 vs. Forza 4. Turn10 had to create ways to cheat to get the graphics to look that good, and with GT5, despite the jagged shadows (which, Kaz said could have been fixed, but it would've made the game take a lot longer to come out), it has superior lighting, weather, graphics on the Premiums and really better sound quality (not the PS3's fault PD didn't want to record 1000+ engine sounds).
I love that T10 sacrificing certain features to maintain 60FPS is "cheating", yet PD gets a pass at claiming a 1,000 cars when 700 are just PS2-era ports. :lol:
The PS3 is really better than the X-box in most every way. It hasn't really reached it's full potential yet, but it's getting there, and remember, Microsoft has what 3 first party developers to Sony's like 20?
How does the number of first party developers have anything to do with either console's potential? Oh right, none.

And as usual, you make up crap on the spot. Microsoft has 21 , Sony has 14. When we take out the Sony SCE & Microsoft Studio branches, Sony has Guerrilla Studios, Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, & Polyphony Digital. Microsoft has Rare Ltd., Lionhead Studios, Turn 10 Studios, Flight Team, 343 Studios, & at least 5 others with untitled projects.

Heck, Rockstar, makers of the GTA series, have already complained about the Xbox's lack of space on their disc and their lack of power.
Source?
Even Bungie and 343 have mentioned that developing for the Xbox is challenging because of their stupid 4GB systems. Which, btw, if you have one of those 4GB HDDs, you can't really get much DLC and you definitely can't download many games, so....And what about games like GTA which have a install of larger than 4GB, you guys are just screwed. At least Sony was smart enough to make HDD options that were large enough NOT to make the developers choose whether to screw over some players or not.
1: Source?
2: Oh, we're screwed? Tell us all how GTA IV, TDU, & other open ended games made it by then?
And, from what I've seen, the PS3 tends to handle lighting WAY better than the Xbox does. Like with GTAIV, on the PS3 version, the ambient lighting is more vibrant and realistic. I mean, the signs police lights glow and light up the streets and walls around them much more than in the Xbox version.
And there are Xbox versions of games that look better than their PS3 counterparts.

Explain that....

And there are Xbox versions of games that look better than their PS3 counterparts.

Explain that....

Hello

Most of the games where created using XBOX as lead plattform because the LOW SYSTEM SPECS , and then copy/convert it to Blueray Disc PS3, this could be the lost of Graphics for Ps3. If it where otherwise, creating a game on Ps3, XBOX wouldnt have a chance. No XBOX Game, has better Graphics than Ps3 Exclusiv Games.

Well Creator choices now.

Sorry for Bad English my Friends!

When GTA V comes out, im happy that i will only need 1 CD to install, while XBOX 2, or 3? :sly:

Last edited:
Hello

Most of the games where created using XBOX as lead plattform because the LOW SYSTEM SPECS , and then copy/convert it to Blueray Disc PS3, this could be the lost of Graphics for Ps3. If it where otherwise, creating a game on Ps3, XBOX wouldnt have a chance. No XBOX Game, has better Graphics than Ps3 Exclusiv Games.

When GTA V comes out, im happy that i will only need 1 CD to install, while XBOX 2, or 3? :sly:
And there is where you lost all credibility in your explanation.

Limitations of the PS3? Why do people keep saying this? Look, people, the PS3 has twice the processing power, twice the three times the cores, and twice the graphics cards the Xbox 360 does. Look at GT5 vs. Forza 4. Turn10 had to create ways to cheat to get the graphics to look that good, and with GT5, despite the jagged shadows (which, Kaz said could have been fixed, but it would've made the game take a lot longer to come out), it has superior lighting, weather, graphics on the Premiums and really better sound quality (not the PS3's fault PD didn't want to record 1000+ engine sounds).

EDIT: Also....IT'S GRAND 🤬 AUTO! Do you REALLY give a crap about the trees in a GTA game? Really? Really? If you do, then you should get out more.

Yeah I do. I'm not playing a PS2 game here. And Sony has said before that no game currently on the market or soming out has ever pushed the limits of the console. Not one.

I'm looking forward to this game and i'm glad Rockstar finally released some new screens. Hopefully there will be a second trailer shown at Gamescom or EB Games Expo.

About the PS3 vs. 360 debate... the PS3 is slightly more powerful but I prefer the 360 and it doesn't really matter anyway because PS3 and 360 games look almost identical in my eyes.

I'm looking forward to this game and i'm glad Rockstar finally released some new screens. Hopefully there will be a second trailer shown at Gamescom or EB Games Expo.

About the PS3 vs. 360 debate... the PS3 is slightly more powerful but I prefer the 360 and it doesn't really matter anyway because PS3 and 360 games look almost identical in my eyes.

I feel the same. I rarely see a difference between the two.

really hyped for this game. I don't care about the graphics, just give me a story I can play through several times without getting bored (like the III era games) and plenty to do in and around the city/cities and I'll be happy.

MAidioPT
Hello

Actually, multi platform games are usually developed for the 360 and ported to PS3 because the 360 is easier to code for (due to it using direct x IIRC). Stop being such a blatent fanboy and accept that the PS3 and 360 are pretty much equal in terms of capabilities.

Give me a credible sheet of technical specs with direct comparisons showing me that the PS3 is twice as powerful as the PS3. Until then, I don't believe a word you say.

On subject, I can't wait for GTA V. The trees don't bother me one bit. If its got as much detail as Liberty City, and the lighting looks as good as that, I'm very happy.

That game is looking great but those trees look a little funny. Really hope theres more than 1 city.

BTW That bridge in the background...I know there is countryside but maybe...just maybe that's a hint.

EDIT:

Also love that Rockstar confirmed that planes are for sure coming back and that GTA V is going ot be the biggest GTA yet for sure on their newswire.
Those trees look a lot better than the trees in Ghost Recon Future Soldier. :crazy:
I am expecting the graphics to be about the same as GTA4 but really hope they will be like Max Payne 3. We will know next year when GTA5 comes out.

Those trees look a lot better than the trees in Ghost Recon Future Soldier. :crazy:
I am expecting the graphics to be about the same as GTA4 but really hope they will be like Max Payne 3. We will know next year when GTA5 comes out.

LA Noire GFX would be :drool: but its not going to happen with that level of detail the world will have. I really feel this being the best GTA yet.

LA Noire GFX would be :drool: but its not going to happen with that level of detail the world will have. I really feel this being the best GTA yet.
Oh yeah no doubt it will probably be the best GTA as long as they re-install all the FUN we had in Vice City and San Andreas. They stripped way way way too much out of GTA4. I want to be able to buy houses and make money off of them. I want car customization, character customization. Just bring back everything we loved about SA and Vice City and I will be happy. Co-op campaign would be nice too but that probably wont happen. I am sure there will be co-op modes again but hopefully more in depth that then ones in GTA4. I have grown up playing GTA since the very first game. Love the series. GTA4 campaign was the most disappointing campaign I played of the series. The 16 free roam multiplayer was fun but that campaign sucked imo. After all the feedback from the community, I am hoping they go all out with GTA5.

E28
Give me a credible sheet of technical specs with direct comparisons showing me that the PS3 is twice as powerful as the PS3. Until then, I don't believe a word you say.
Won't happen. There's no bencharking programme that would run equally well on the 360 and the PS3.

Besides, the differences in computing power are likely pretty small, at best. If someone's ticked off by a console holding back something else, they should be mad at both the PS3 and the 360 holding the PC version back. :sly:

But, just to point it out: The 360 is usually thought to have the more powerful graphics card and the lesser CPU - "The PS3 is twice as powerful" is just blatantly biased drivel.
Dunno, but I always thought that GTA IV looked pretty darn impressive for what it is - a massive open world game. I'll be amazed if V looks even a tiny bit better.

Yes I agree for as large as GTA4 was and for being a sandbox game, it did look very good. But there are other sandbox games that look a lot better. Saints Row 3 is stunning AND its a full co-op campaign. Just cause 1 and 2 are also beautiful games. Crackdown 1 looked really good too. Crackdown 2 not so much.

Yes I agree for as large as GTA4 was and for being a sandbox game, it did look very good. But there are other sandbox games that look a lot better. Saints Row 3 is stunning AND its a full co-op campaign. Just cause 1 and 2 are also beautiful games. Crackdown 1 looked really good too. Crackdown 2 not so much.

I think GTA IV was a stunning game but it did lack colour in the atmosphere. I think those GTA V screenshots tell us that GTA V will be another high quality game with a nice and colourful atmosphere (although the game looks in its alpha stage with mediocre draw distance, low-res trees and unfinished NPCS). I personally hated Saints Row: The Third as it felt too silly in my eyes and was not as good as the 2nd Saints Row game. It was an ok game for a couple of weeks but then it just got repetitive and boring (look at Steelports map, it is way to small for a open world 360/PS3 title) and the storyline was utterly nonsensical also. Saints Row 2 in my opinion was a much better game.

I did think Just Cause 2 was an outstanding game with many ways to on keep playing and the map was almost too big but it was fun to explore. Its just a shame that there was no co-op or online in JC2 because it would have been a perfect candidate for co-op in my eyes. I didn't play Crackdown 1 or 2 so I can't comment on those games.

although the game looks in its alpha stage with mediocre draw distance, low-res trees and unfinished NPCS

I was just about to say that, as no-one else had. :indiff:

You can easily tell that some things aren't finished yet, i.e. the two people sitting on the dock are very blurry/undetailed.

I think GTA IV was a stunning game but it did lack colour in the atmosphere. I think those GTA V screenshots tell us that GTA V will be another high quality game with a nice and colourful atmosphere (although the game looks in its alpha stage with mediocre draw distance, low-res trees and unfinished NPCS). I personally hated Saints Row: The Third as it felt too silly in my eyes and was not as good as the 2nd Saints Row game. It was an ok game for a couple of weeks but then it just got repetitive and boring (look at Steelports map, it is way to small for a open world 360/PS3 title) and the storyline was utterly nonsensical also. Saints Row 2 in my opinion was a much better game.

I did think Just Cause 2 was an outstanding game with many ways to on keep playing and the map was almost too big but it was fun to explore. Its just a shame that there was no co-op or online in JC2 because it would have been a perfect candidate for co-op in my eyes. I didn't play Crackdown 1 or 2 so I can't comment on those games.
I do agree that there was a lot about SR2 that I liked over SR3. But I love the over the top gameplay that SR2 and SR3 have. The amount of customization in those 2 games is something I dont see any other sandbox game touching for many years. You literally can customize everything about your character, your houses, your gangs, and every vehicle. Just mind blowing insane. And to have drop in drop out full co-op campaign on top of that. Plus you can buy every single property, customize every vehicle in the game. Insane! SR2 and SR3 are 2 of my favorite sandbox games. It really is impossible to comprehend how much they stuff into those 2 games. Basically SR2 and SR3 took everything fun from Vice City and San Andreas and made it even better. SR2 and SR3 are what GTA4 should have been. For a lower budget company they did an incredible job with those 2 games.

I truly hope GTA5 took some notes from SR2 and SR3 and impliments those fun features and the customization into GTA5. Would love to see a true full co-op campaign experience but I dont know if its going to happen with GTA5. If not then I hope they add a really good co-op online experience. Better than the short generic co-op they had in GTA4.

I do agree that there was a lot about SR2 that I liked over SR3. But I love the over the top gameplay that SR2 and SR3 have. The amount of customization in those 2 games is something I dont see any other sandbox game touching for many years. You literally can customize everything about your character, your houses, your gangs, and every vehicle. Just mind blowing insane. And to have drop in drop out full co-op campaign on top of that. Plus you can buy every single property, customize every vehicle in the game. Insane! SR2 and SR3 are 2 of my favorite sandbox games. It really is impossible to comprehend how much they stuff into those 2 games. Basically SR2 and SR3 took everything fun from Vice City and San Andreas and made it even better. SR2 and SR3 are what GTA4 should have been. For a lower budget company they did an incredible job with those 2 games.

I truly hope GTA5 took some notes from SR2 and SR3 and impliments those fun features and the customization into GTA5. Would love to see a true full co-op campaign experience but I dont know if its going to happen with GTA5. If not then I hope they add a really good co-op online experience. Better than the short generic co-op they had in GTA4.

I hope GTA V will have some over the top elements like San Andreas or Saints Row 2 but I also hope that they keep a more realistic and serious theme as like in GTA IV that would be the perfect way for GTA V to go in my opinion. For the Saints Row series I do hope number 4 (even though it was originally intended to be a trilogy) is a prequel of SR3 that explains how the saints became the celebrities they were in SR3 but knowing THQ/Volition they will probably not do that and continue the silliness and just add another bonkers storyline.

Why do people keep spouting nonsense like this? 👎

It's not nonsense.

Yeah I do. I'm not playing a PS2 game here. And Sony has said before that no game currently on the market or soming out has ever pushed the limits of the console. Not one.

1. Yes, the only "imitation" we've actually seen from the PS3 is the developers not using the system to it's full potential. We've seen a handful use the 50GB Blu-rays, but no one has yet shown what the PS3 can actually do.

2. Alright, when you get GTAV, you can gawk at the trees and complain and I'll just run you over or shoot you with a shotgun, okay?

E28

http://www.ps3focus.com/archives/40

These are based off the original systems, but they're still pretty accurate. In terms of power:

Xbox has a triple core IBM 3.2GHz processor. PS3 has a 7 core IBM Cell 3.2GHz Processor. The Xbox performs 1 TeraFlops to the PS3's 2 TeraFlops.

It's not nonsense.

1. Yes, the only "imitation" we've actually seen from the PS3 is the developers not using the system to it's full potential. We've seen a handful use the 50GB Blu-rays, but no one has yet shown what the PS3 can actually do.

2. Alright, when you get GTAV, you can gawk at the trees and complain and I'll just run you over or shoot you with a shotgun, okay?

http://www.ps3focus.com/archives/40

These are based off the original systems, but they're still pretty accurate. In terms of power:

Xbox has a triple core IBM 3.2GHz processor. PS3 has a 7 core IBM Cell 3.2GHz Processor. The Xbox performs 1 TeraFlops to the PS3's 2 TeraFlops.

Then again it's for sure not done so I have no room to talk. They just don't look a thing like the trailer did. That could have been edited and made "pretty" though.

You should probably realise that the PS3's high claim of FLOPS largely hinges on the CELL's capability of outright number crunching, which is why you hardly see PS3 games looking vastly better than 360 games. If the 2 TeraFLOPS is actually accurate, that is.

Oh, and I'd also like to point out that you've got your facts wrong. the PS3 doesn't have a 7 core CPU. It's a single core with additional SPEs - big difference there, because that is why a lot of developers had such a hard time actually abusing the CELL's potential performance and why the 360 is often used as a lead platform - because its architecture is much closer to the one found in PCs.

Granted, I agree that PS3 exclusives tend to look better than 360 exclusives, but the margin is rather small.

But, and here is the most important thing: The biggest bottle neck right now seems to be the respective console's RAM and VRAM, and both the 360 and the PS3 have both an equally meager amount of RAM.

Right now, I'd agree that GTA V would be going to look better if it was developed exclusively for PS3. Then again, the same could be said if it was developed solely for the 360. In the end, if the PS3 version is held back by the Xbox version, the difference would be a) minimal and b) more down to Rockstar not scaling the game appropriately - especially since they'll likely be producing a "high performance" variant of GTA V for the PC market, anyways.

Now, could we please finish with the "OMG PS3 SO POWERFUL" nonsense? Both console are pretty much finished in terms of performance, anyways...

It's not nonsense.
You said it has "twice the processing power" and backed it up with theoretical number crunching statistics. That's 2005-era console war drivel at best, and has no marking on the PS3's limitations as a development platform (and especially not as a development platform for ports).

You ignored this post the first time, but I suggest you look at it in addition to the one immediately above mine because it goes a long way towards explaining R1600s original point:

But, just to point it out: The 360 is usually thought to have the more powerful graphics card and the lesser CPU - "The PS3 is twice as powerful" is just blatantly biased drivel.
The 360 has a somewhat weaker but considerably simpler CPU, and a more powerful GPU that was actually integrated into the system design rather than slapped in at the last minute. Even if the PS3 had "twice the processing power," that's all completely moot if the developers have to waste most of it just getting the game to run smoothly because it's such a mess in comparison.

Back