• Poll closed .
United States
Texas
Mazda Cosmo nominated by FireEmblem10

mazda_eunos_cosmo_large_23282.jpg

Stats that Matter:
Production: February 1990-September 1995
Style: 2-Door Coupe
Engine: Two 1.3L Twin Turbo 2-Rotor (235 HP & 255 HP), one 2.0L Twin Turbo 3-Rotor (300 HP)
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive
Also known as the Eunos Cosmo, almost known as the Amati Cosmo.

Wikipedia-Cosmo Page
Wikipedia-Wankel engine

Automobile-Catalog.com

Nomination Thread

Last edited:
This is cool to me. It has a understated feel about it, kinda like that guy who is just cool without trying to be or even doing anything. Add in an engine unique to the car, and it's solidified cool, but not SZ for the simple reason that the car is a product of the 90's. Enormous potential out of the box, but it's been limited by the policies of the day. Close though, freezer burn isn't out of the question.

Mazda Eunos
One or t'other, not both.

As you wouldn't refer to a Toyota Lexus LF-A or a Honda Acura RS-X, this is a Eunos Cosmo. In fact the USA nearly got it as the Amati Cosmo, but we won't go into that.

Absolutely freaking sub zero. The styling isn't the greatest but it's part of a great series of cars, something even I know is good.

I think I can modify it a bit, give me just a moment...

(after a bit)

... there, that should do it. I can't change the poll, but I got two of the three.

Last edited:
Sub Zero. An elegant grand tourer with a one-of-a-kind engine option, and enough raw character to eclipse its automatic transmission.

I say cool. I don't know why, but something about the styling appeals to me, despite the fact that I don't generally like car designs from that time. According to the wikipedia article it's got too much electronic crap inside--most of which probably doesn't work anymore by this point--but yeah everything else about the car is good...it's cool.

If it had a piston engine it would be at least cool, but having a rotary makes it uncool. Normally a rotary would be seriously uncool, but it's unique enough and has enough style not to fall that low down the scale.

Missed Sub-Zero because there wasn't a manual.

Otherwise, I see no reasons for dislike. 👍

Nothing outlandish here. Looks ok, stats are ok ...... I think it is just a low end "cool', borderline "meh".

Uncool. The 60's Cosmo was better because it looked quite quirky and the rotary powerplant was different back then. This just looks like a bland coupe for golfers and the advancements in technology have left rotary almost dead in the water.

The glory days of rotary in the RX-7 FC and FD should remain there, not here.

Cool. Rotary engine adds a new dimension to the luxury coupe thing - majors on smoothness, which is always a quality you want in a luxury car.

Also has an awesome interior.

1992-Eunos-Cosmo-20B-TYPE-E_02.jpg

And all you people wanting a manual gearbox in a luxury car. You so crazy.

Why are so many people thinking what gearbox a car has or how fast it is defined it's coolness.

I think this car is just about cool, 90's cars are starting to age well now, and this simple but elegant shape works. It'll look like nothing else on the road, in a good way.

I like it, so it must be seriously uncool.

The stock alloys leave a lot to be desired for the Cosmo. With a nicer set, the rather nice lines of the car become more apparent:

p1-8.jpg

And as with most Mazdas of the period, it has a great ass:
1990_Eunos_Cosmo1.jpg

There is just enough fine-scale detail (like the subtle chrome around the tail lights) to really give the car a dignified, yet understated elegance. I actually found one here in north Texas a couple years ago and tried to buy it, but no luck. I still hope to own one someday, even if I can only find a 2 rotor example. It's just a fantastic GT car, and the triple-rotor, twin turbo isn't simply used as a novelty, I don't think there is a finer engine for a GT car around. Only a V12 can offer the same levels of turbine-smooth operation and linear power, but then a V12 weighs at least 3 times more. The weight, packaging and complexity advantages makes the 20b-re superior to a V12 in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back