Staff Emeritus
Canada
Toronto
NewAesthetic
SlipZtrEm
GT6FTDheader.png

(What the F-Stop?! Again?!)
(Head here for GT5 version)

Hello there, photo friends. It's been nearly three years since the last one was started, but here we go again. Bare with me, as I try to fill out as many details as I can, with what little PD has so far provided. If GT5's companion thread is anything to go by though, this will definitely pack on the size :D

Did you know that the Photomode section at GTPlanet is one of the biggest in the GT5 subforum? Naturally, the marketplace leads (*shudder*), and the many, many duplicates of the Q&A section inflate numbers (where have we seen that before? ;) ), but the Photomode section has proven incredibly popular with our community. The most-commented thread in there has a massive, massive 1.8 million views! Head on over to our user galleries, and the top 10 threads alone total over 800,000 views, too! Or pop into the competitions threads, and see some supremely talented people submitting their best works, week after week, to make it into the polls (where the winners are chosen by you, the community).

GT6 can only increase the popularity of this mode, and this thread is here, for now, to cover any info we know about it, as well as popular questions that might be asked.

Photomode FAQ

Q: What's this about two Photomodes?
A:
There is Photo Travel - with various picturesque locations from the world over, and Replay Photomode - it speaks for itself.

Q: So can I take my Standard Model Red Bull DTM TT over to it's spiritual home, Hangar 7?
A: New to GT6:
Why yes, yes you can; Kazunori has stated there are no longer limitations on Standards with Photo Travel.

Q: What's the method for saving images?
A:
As before in GT5; images are saved in-game, and the user can export them to the XMB.

Q: Am I able to open the doors, hood, or trunk of the cars in Photo Travel?
A:
Negative.

Q: Are we still limited to one car per shoot in Photo Travel?
A:
New to GT6: Not one, but two! And with your avatar, too!

Q: What sort of resolutions are available?
A:
As listed below, note that you can double any of these with the 2x option in Photo Travel:
  • 3:2 - 1620 x 1080 pixels
  • 1:1 - 1080 x 1080 pixels
  • 1.4:1 - 1570 x 1080 pixels
  • 1.6:1 - 1747 x 1080 pixels
  • 16.9 - 1920 x 1080 pixels
Q: Can I get a list of Travel locations?
A: New to GT6:
Certainly! Below is the list currently known for GT6 - for now, despite previous comments from PD, GT5 locations have not returned:
  • New to GT6: Gemasolar
  • New to GT6: Siracusa - Duomo Square
  • New to GT6: Siracusa - Night
  • New to GT6: Ronda - Nuevo bridge
  • New to GT6: Valencia- The City of Arts and Sciences

Note that at this point in time, GT5's locations have not been confirmed as returning.

Update History:

08.20.13 - Thread created!
11.12.13 - A needed update with the new board software!
11.12.13 - Reconfirmed GT5 locations thanks to Unlock Greatness.
12.09.13 - Cleaned and tidied post-release.

Last edited:
Sadly, it looks like the Watermark on the images might be the new one, which sucks hard because of it's massive size.

Photomode in gt5 was so much fun for me, (I should really share some of the ones I have taken by now) I'm looking forward to the new rendering engine and all these new and beautiful upgraded cars to gawk over.

Hope there is enough added changes to get me excited to get back into taking and editing photos. I do miss it greatly.

I'm hoping for some more advanced editing options this time around. Maybe PD could strike a deal with VSCO (or a similar company), so we can get their great filters directly in the game? :lol:

They should bring back some of the locations from GT4, like the Grand Canyon, Brooklyn, Times Square, and various locations throughout Japan (bamboo forest, temple in the fall, etc.).

A bit of a bump in light of the massive news dump today, nothing too much mentioned about Photomode, until you stumble across this image:

i10z4yPsTT1c88E.jpg

:D

That ... functionality was hinted at for GT5, too, but obviously never materialised. I expect to see lots of little "ah" moments like that in GT6. :)

Nice big view finder, too. 👍

It's confirmed!
"Photograph your favourite cars with a realistic SLR camera in such locations as Ronda, the Valencia City of Arts and Sciences, Gemasolar in Spain, and Siracusa in Italy. It is now possible to simultaneously place 2 cars in locations to photograph."

i10z4yPsTT1c88E.jpg

i11ywxkiVrGpUSH.jpg

The UI looks a lot better now and as you can see, multiple cars in Photo Travel. What is there to discuss? Not much really but it's good to know they put some effort into this aspect of the game.

I merged your post with this existing one, @andrea. Once I get time, I'll update the OP - probably tomorrow 👍

Thanks. I didn't notice this thread existed. Saves me the trouble of making an informative OP but you already took care of it.

Great work Slipz - you mods have naturally been busy lately with the final countdown to GT6 release, and it's appreciated to say the least. I'm excited about the new photomode - many GT5 players like myself found a new hobby combining racing with photography/editing. I'm looking forward to the new photomode locations and multi-car shots as well as the camaraderie within the GT6 photomode forums that will ostensibly be set up.

Great work Slipz - you mods have naturally been busy lately with the final countdown to GT6 release, and it's appreciated to say the least. I'm excited about the new photomode - many GT5 players like myself found a new hobby combining racing with photography/editing. I'm looking forward to the new photomode locations and multi-car shots as well as the camaraderie within the GT6 photomode forums that will ostensibly be set up.

I improved my photographic skills in real world a lot. Thanks to GT4/5 photomode. Looking forward to those new GT6 phototravel locations in Italy and Spain.

Well I certainly learned a lot about editing since I explored a lot of photo editing software. I'm prepared to get blown away when the rest of the photomode community get their hands on GT6.

Aside from PhotoTravel, I think Daytona at night looks like an awesome venue to snap pictures.

Q: Can I get a list of Travel locations?
A: New to GT6: Certainly! Below is the list currently known for GT6:

• Kyoto - Gion
  • Bern - Market Street
  • Ahrweiler - Town Square
  • Ahrweiler - Street
  • Ahrweiler - Gate
  • Ahrweiler - Winter
  • Kyoto - Shoren-in
  • San Galgano Abbey
  • San Gimignano
  • Siena - Piazza del Campo
  • Red Bull Hangar-7
  • Lucerne - Chapel Bridge
  • Indy - NASCAR Pit Stop
  • New to GT6: Gemasolar
  • New to GT6: Siracusa – Duomo Square
  • New to GT6: Ronda – Nuevo bridge
  • New to GT6: Valencia- The City of Arts and Sciences

Fixed.

Wish there were more focus points. You couldn't capture two cars going fast with both being in focus. It always bothered me that you had to find the sweet spot. Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly but it looked like this.

Photo credit @Man of Mister

superspeedway-indy_1-jpg.81641

It would be nice to have this incorporated in Photo Mode. Am I being OTT?

5H6pdIp.jpg

Last edited:
Most digital cameras have multi-focus ability nowadays, so I agree with you Andrea. Perhaps, something less sophisticated than your example would be fine, such as the auto area and 9 point tracking.

Back