GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 50 : Running with the Night

• Thread starter EDK
  • 324 comments
I'm still using a DFP. Simple plastic pedals on springs. I didn't want to take them apart, and when talking to Jake about it, he gave me some packing foam used to ship electrical components. I wedged a 1" piece of foam behind my brake pedal to give it more resistance.
Not only am I using less brake, when I release it, the pedal is quicker to release. And it's much easier to tap the brake to set the nose of the car, without dropping speed.
I put a piece on the gas, too. Same effect. Faster pedals produced faster laps!!
A cheap and easy solution that seems to have worked rather well!! :)

I'm still using a DFP. Simple plastic pedals on springs. I didn't want to take them apart, and when talking to Jake about it, he gave me some packing foam used to ship electrical components. I wedged a 1" piece of foam behind my brake pedal to give it more resistance.
Not only am I using less brake, when I release it, the pedal is quicker to release. And it's much easier to tap the brake to set the nose of the car, without dropping speed.
I put a piece on the gas, too. Same effect. Faster pedals produced faster laps!!
A cheap and easy solution that seems to have worked rather well!! :)

Do you think a kitchen foam sponge would be able to do the same trick? Definitely easier to come across haha.

Great lap, hit my target time but unhappy of course. I thought I had it in my pocket; can't see where I'm losing time but hopefully see when Chuk puts up his replay.
T1: 29.767
T2: 27.849
Compared to my PB splits I lost less then 0.050, not counting the miracle T1 I had.

Last edited:
Do you think a kitchen foam sponge would be able to do the same trick? Definitely easier to come across haha.

Yes I do. That's the first sponge we tried!

edit: Another thing I did was to take a few laps in the cockpit view. This helped me position the car correctly, giving more room to the left side, while pulling in the right side. Just after t2, I slide the entire corner just inches from the wall, foot on the gas. I think I could do that because I knew the bumper cam was centered, but the driver was not.

Last edited:

Didn't turn early enough though for the 2nd turn of T3 so it wasn't quite as good as it should have been... one more session to go!!

Edit:

A bit more out of T3, pulling it all together. Maybe one more try right at the deadline :)

Last edited:
More controlled and tidy lap - faster splits, and overall better lap:

T1 30.158
T2 28.173

Awesome splits chuck, very impressive. Might have to try and jam some foam behind the square and x buttons on my ds3 lol.

Good luck to everyone still running, I might submit with these splits.

Cheers

Just caught up on the last three pages of this thread...

@Chuk, in all seriousness, that's a world class set of splits - outstanding effort and just look at the names you are ahead of :bowdown: For the record, even if you don't win, I'll remember that you were ahead at the T2 split for a long time to come. Very, very impressive.

@Blair, your splits are almost as impressive considering your D3 Bronze ranking. I'd imagine you won't be there for too long 👍

I give up - not in the zone tonight and can't beat my 3rd sector from this lap I did 3 days ago:

Didn't think much of it at the time, just had a faster 3rd sector but the split at T2 was 0.25 down on my best. So I thought I'd get that later and end 0.25 up. Not to be and I can't get anywhere near that last sector now. Half a second down on Chuk, I don't think my run to the line is quite that good though. :P

Last edited:
Submitted with splits on the board. My finish is terrible but it is what it is. Someone needs to warm the bottom of the list! :D

Hope I can get some time to run the Elise this week. Looks fun!

Submitting with current splits.

Poor entry to penultimate turn in T2 cost me a tenth and probably costs me a place on the podium too. I set all 10 fastest laps tonight though :D

Fantastic week. Look forward to seeing some replays!

Go to the track again Chuk.
SFR is always on what's used latest.
Hopefully for you it's [OFF]

Amazing splits if so! 👍

I always do. But how do I check the replay to verify that?

Don´t really know because that´s a secret that Kevin doesn´t reveal.
But the best way is to go again to the arcade mode, because it saves what you used before.

Don´t really know because that´s a secret that Kevin doesn´t reveal.
But the best way is to go again to the arcade mode, because it saves what you used before.

It's kind of like black magic. Tough to control and dangerous in the wrong hands. ;)

But these guys are right, check what the game has set when loading. Based on your splits and total time, I would think you would be able to do even better with SRF turned on.

I assume you've run your normal 40 hours at this combo, and you've made some equipment upgrades, so that lap is not out of the realm of possibility.

Well, I was looking for .2 but ended up getting .8. Although I was a bit concerned with turn 2. I worked out T3 very late this week, managed to pick up half a second in the last half hour or so. Here's my new splits. Submitting this.

I decided to try foam too! Gained about a quarter of a second at the line early on (mostly in T3, with the above splits), and then could not really come close again... Resting a bit before an ultimate session, maybe.

I honestly don't know if it was on or off. If it was on, then going faster than Wes makes sense. If not, then yippee for me.
I just ran a few laps with it turned on, and turned off. My splits were about a tenth slower in t1, and two tenth by t2. I don't know if it is me or not, and I'm too nervous to fix it. I've always just looked for the heads up display.
This is a bummer.

Back